• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
In other news, I ended up napping for a couple of hours and I had a few strange dreams. For the first, I was apparently watching a Smash direct when suddenly, various Pokemon like Beedrill and Salamence (I think so on the latter) were announced for Smash. In addition, they apparently announced a new form for Lombre that makes it Funny/Fighting... I don't even know anymore. XD

I also had a dream about playing Splatoon and apparently having issues spreading enough ink to win the game on a map that reminded me of Camp Triggerfish. That's all I remember, though. :p

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
My main issue with Sym is that merely her weapon range. It's easy to get rid of the turrets, especially with Winston. However, her weapon range is a big pain simply because it's hard running away from her without some method of escape. It also doesn't help that her weapon deals so much damage, despite being single target.

D.Va's NY skin was my first one. :shades: And I even got it on the first day. It wasn't my first lootbox though from the event's beginning, cause that gave me 500 Currency instead.:smash: But it was in one of the lootboxes that I got from the Arcade. Especially nice since it was the one I really wanted. Zen was the second one I got on Sunday while Roadhog's skin I just got today. Now it's just Mei, Reinhardt and Winston left.
What's rather funny about this event is how all Tanks except Zarya got a new Legendary event skin for this event. Heck, when you look at all the events, all the Tanks now have at least one Legendary Event skin(Zarya with Summer, Roadhog with Halloween, Winston with Christmas and now Winston & Roadhog again as well as D.Va and Reinhardt) while only 2 Offense Heroes, 3 Defense Heroes and 3 Support Heroes have a Legendary Event skin. Are we sure Tanks are being used in the Meta alot because of Ana? :smirk:

Edit: I just realized I could check my posts to see when I got my skins and turns out I got D.Va's skin the next day on Wednesday. So I was mistaken about getting it on the first day. On the other hand, I still got it in under 24 hours.
I just played No Limits with my brothers, and man it can made me get toxic and salty. Biggest problem are my two brothers who are really a jerk. And yeah, I care more about winning in Arcade mode, and I don't really need to explain why.

In quick play it usually feel more terrible when you did good at first and then suddenly then entire just lost two later matches badly, which mostly can be explained that easily. It happens a lot in the Asian server where people tend to go AFK when things look too dicey.
I go Symmetra's Qipao skin on my first Lunar Lootbox, kind of ironic that she's the character that I have ill-will to fight against for now.

D

Deleted member

@Ash Crimson I'm gonna try downloading the 1.4 version, if it doesn't work, I'm simply going to assume it wasn't meant to be

Voted Hector for the final day
Don't think the ranking will change unless some of the characters were less than 100 votes away from the others
Still, it's good to see my top 3 all in the top 20

From the FF 30th Anniversary event.
Omfg is... is that a working image???

D

Deleted member

GamexPlain did their preview on FEH
Holy **** that Arthur artwork
Basically, save up orbs by summoning heroes all at the same time
Saving up 20 and using them all in one go lets you get 5 characters

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I remembered that FE Heroes is region locked, which means I'll have to get it through unorthodox means.

I hope the artwork in the game is dumped quickly, at least.

D

Deleted member

>First Trial
Pfft, this will be eas--
>No one can learn Brick Break
>Alcott has no Bug moves yet
>No one knows Fairy moves
Well, this may or may not go badly
Knowing my luck I'll just get critted in the first turn

D

Deleted member

I'm not sitting through videos when the intent is clearly pessimism that I've already had several thousand healthy servings of already, but I honestly can't even remember hype on the Wii U because of the trainwreck of it being mistaken for a Wii upgrade overshadowing everything.

Going off of the titles, they seem to be saying the Wii U is a powerhouse that will dominate the competition, which very few people if any are saying about the Switch. If they are, then they certainly aren't on the forums I'm actually reading. The main thing I'm reading is that it's easy to port to, which if the game isn't held back by being GPU heavy. . .yeah, I don't see why not. I can see indies in particular being very easy to port to it. I mean, developers are positive, but no one ever took the "this is going to take the world by storm" ones seriously in the first place because it always sounded like fibbing PR. Two different devs have laughed pretty hard at the Switch already, which is pretty standard Wii U reaction, but on the bright side at least Bethesda is actually giving it a shot this time when they didn't even remotely care before.

I have no idea whether the Switch will be a trainwreck or bob up slightly in the ocean and happily stay afloat at it's own pace as everything else sails past them, but the Switch doesn't strike me as entirely retreading the Wii U. They aren't even talking about the specs because they KNOW they're weak and they intend to focus on what they actually designed the system for instead. I'm not expecting Nintendo to get "all teh support," or "win" the generation but I don't think that's going to be Nintendo's succeed/fail condition in the first place.

Yeah, I know. Acknowledging that hype and spokesman talk isn't a prophecy and that devs will likely dip their toes once and leave and still thinking it has even a slight chance? Shock! But I think this will more rely on how Nintendo handles their own game releases and marketing than anything else. The presentation was pretty bad, but their commercials have done a decent job getting the idea across. There's still quite a few hiccups in getting people to understand exactly what it is, but since they gave it it's own identity instead of tying it to the Wii they at least have the ability to get that across by the time they have more units available to sell again. And as for the games, the launch is admittedly extremely weak but the Switch's first year is so many leagues ahead of the first two of the Wii U's lifespan that it's kind of funny.

Yes, the topic of the Switch not being a "dominating force with all the third parties" has been talked about. A lot. But as suffocating of obviously terrified marketing talk as "it's not about power, it's not about specs" is. . .no, not really. Nintendo was always driving this ship alone, they just have to figure out how to sail it.
A bit of a history lesson.

Only reason the NES was able to secure its place in the market and totally dominate the Sega Master System was because it forced 3rd party devs to sign a contract which disallowed them from porting their games onto other consoles. Thus, even though the Master System was more powerful than the NES, NES sold a lot more as it had all the games. And no, not 1st party games, as SEGA had plenty of great 1st party titles in the 3rd gen, but the 3rd party games.

For reference, Master System sold approx 13 million, to the NES's 61 million.

That's how important 3rd party devs are. They are the lifeblood of a console. And the moment Nintendo stopped having their support, was the moment Nintendo stopped being relevant.

The only thing I'm pointing out here is the hype machine surrounding a new console release, and how a lot of the PR talk and speculation is near identical to that of the WiiU, as well as a lot of what's happening as we approach the release of the console.

When the WiiU launched, tons of devs talked it up and down, saying it was easy to develop for, and that it was very powerful, and that "this time, Nintendo has got it, and they promise us tons of unique experiences on their console." Yet, a couple years later, we find that development for WiiU was a mess:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

And very quickly we saw devs drop out, and even laugh at the idea of having their games on WiiU (Konami with MGR, Saint's Row 4, etc...). We are ALREADY seeing a similar trend with the Switch, they have a MASSIVE line up of games promised, over 80 to release over the course of the year. But, one look at the WiiU launch, and it TOO had a very large line up of games, 3rd party even. In fact, it was more impressive than the Switch, as IT had tons of games that were still relevant, whereas, upon closer inspection on the Switch's lineup, and you'll see tons of indie games, and games that stopped being relevant years ago, Skyrim, Rayman Legends, Cave Story, Binding of Isaac, a PS3 port of FIFA? It's not shaping up very well, and I notice a lot of artificial hype, and people trying to FORCE the success and acceptance of this machine.

However, like you said, the WiiU's failure was mostly due to marketing, not support or power. And you're right. But that's also where Nintendo has blundered the most with the Switch. They're marketing it as a home console, a successor to the WiiU and competitor to the PS4 and Xbone (whether they want to admit it or not), launching it MIDGEN while they other two are at their peak momentum. Not only that, but there's already a lot of confusion surrounding what the Switch is (is it a portable? is it a home console) in regard to the consumer. This is absolute market suicide. Who are you aiming this to? Outside of hard core Nintendo fans, who is gonna go out and buy a Switch when they have better, cheaper, and more powerful options already available? Not only that, but as a portable, the Switch is competing with the 3DS, which has a bigger library, and is much cheaper too. You've got an install base of 13 million WiiU owner, from which, only a fraction will hop over to Switch. And then?

It's like Nintendo doesn't understand the industry, and just follow the beat of their own drum, which, isn't gonna fly anymore. The company is run by overly conservative businessmen in suits who are out of touch. You can tell that these decisions were made simply by looking at numbers, and trying to be the most risk-averse. The release of the Switch was a correction, being passed off as an innovation. The problem being, is that if you don't take proper risks, then you'll never succeed, business is a gamble, and the number one rule in gambling is knowing when to take risks, and committing to them.

What Nintendo SHOULD have done is the following:

Launch the Switch as a PORTABLE console more powerful than WiiU and a successor to the 3DS. Like Sony does with the Playstation line, cut all 1st party support for the console upon launch, but allow 3rd party devs to keep the console afloat by pushing content on it, so that the userbase doesn't feel neglected, yet understands that the console is at its last legs due to a lack of power. Maintain the WiiU alive till 2019-2020, and make sure that all WiiU releases, as well as previous games get an enhanced port on Switch, to show case how the console is more powerful than it, and retain consumer faith in your last product. Then, come 2020, you release an upgrade to the Switch similar to the Pro, or the n3DS, for anyone wanting to hop over. Come the start of Generation 9, you have a very powerful portable machine able to run console games, that has a hefty library to boast about while the competition is getting started. Moreover, aiming the console at your install base of 64 million is FAR more intelligent than burning the 13 million that bought a WiiU and telling them that you're going back on your promise of "we're not giving up on the WiiU, it as a long life ahead of it" (Reggie - June 2014). Not only did they kill consumer faith in their brand by dropping the WiiU like that, but also, it's simple numbers, the 64 million 3DS owners will eventually make a jump over to the Switch once the price is reasonable and the library is worthwhile. However, for that to work, you have to market it as a PORTABLE, meaning, cut the gimmicky crap out of the joycons to make the price as reasonable as you can, enhance the battery life as much as you can, and finally, give it tablet-like functionality as a multimedia device. Hell, even sell it at a loss. The software sales (which are known to have high attach rate), and royalties from 3rd parties will make it worthwhile. The most important aspect of a console is that people BUY it, so that you have a large install base. As it stands, the Switch is set up for another 3DS situation in which it'll need a price cut and aggressive marketing to revive it after its initial failure. Especially since it's being marketed as home console, despite running portable hardware. Whoever thought that was a good idea, needs to be fired.

/rant

Anyway, why did I bring this up?

So people temper their expectations. It's not pessimism, it's reality. If you're expecting the Switch to be a portable machine that will only get Nintendo games, and will probably be alive for 3-4 years, and are OK with paying extra for it to get it early (as a price cut is will need to happen regardless), then you won't be disappointed. Anything more than that, and you only have yourself to blame.

Last edited by a moderator:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
A bit of a history lesson.

Only reason the NES was able to secure its place in the market and totally dominate the Sega Master System was because it forced 3rd party devs to sign a contract which disallowed them from porting their games onto other consoles. Thus, even though the Master System was more powerful than the NES, NES sold a lot more as it had all the games. And no, not 1st party games, as SEGA had plenty of great 1st party titles in the 3rd gen, but the 3rd party games.

For reference, Master System sold approx 13 million, to the NES's 61 million.

That's how important 3rd party devs are. They are the lifeblood of a console. And the moment Nintendo stopped having their support, was the moment Nintendo stopped being relevant.

The only thing I'm pointing out here is the hype machine surrounding a new console release, and how a lot of the PR talk and speculation is near identical to that of the WiiU, as well as a lot of what's happening as we approach the release of the console.

When the WiiU launched, tons of devs talked it up and down, saying it was easy to develop for, and that it was very powerful, and that "this time, Nintendo has got it, and they promise us tons of unique experiences on their console." Yet, a couple years later, we find that development for WiiU was a mess:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story
That is the case for NES, but how come did Wii sold more then NES despite it is a weak console and no big third party titles? It was because of the motion controls, it was a short fad but really what made Wii standout. Many games on the Wii that uses motion controls, but most third party shufflewares don't really use that well.

And this is sort of catch 22 when it comes to Nintendo getting third party titles. Nintendo consoles won't get much third party titles because lack of sale, and because lack of sale Nintendo won't get much third party titles.

I kind of disagree with your point on the third party devs, Nintendo consoles sure struggle with third party devs because lack of power, but they are relevant with their awesome first party title. And their handheld is really not the case here, PS Vita got better third party support than 3DS but still can't sell well.

Yes, hype were there when Wii U first launch, it was later the poor market and sale that mess it up, mention it's name that is confusing already. By now we can really sure if Switch will meet with the same fate, I'm not trying argue anything on this point, just wait and see.

It's like Nintendo doesn't understand the industry, and just follow the beat of their own drum, which, isn't gonna fly anymore. The company is run by overly conservative businessmen in suits who are out of touch. You can tell that these decisions were made simply by looking at numbers, and trying to be the most risk-averse. The release of the Switch was a correction, being passed off as an innovation. The problem being, is that if you don't take proper risks, then you'll never succeed, business is a gamble, and the number one rule in gambling is knowing when to take risks, and committing to them.
Bold assumptions here, if this is really what you think, I fine with that. It's just wait you say that company run by overly conservative businessmen doesn't sound odd, many other big companies are like this as well. As long as the game developers are not overly run by conservative people I'm fine, and not we are seeing with the Switch. Miyamoto, probably is, I do think he should step down which some decisions he made before.

If Nintendo really doesn't take risk, they might just release a powerful console that most people wishes, the release of Switch is a balance between innovation and taking risks.
What Nintendo SHOULD have done is the following:

Launch the Switch as a PORTABLE console more powerful than WiiU and a successor to the 3DS. Like Sony does with the Playstation line, cut all 1st party support for the console upon launch, but allow 3rd party devs to keep the console afloat by pushing content on it, so that the userbase doesn't feel neglected, yet understands that the console is at its last legs due to a lack of power. Maintain the WiiU alive till 2019-2020, and make sure that all WiiU releases, as well as previous games get an enhanced port on Switch, to show case how the console is more powerful than it, and retain consumer faith in your last product. Then, come 2020, you release an upgrade to the Switch similar to the Pro, or the n3DS, for anyone wanting to hop over. Come the start of Generation 9, you have a very powerful portable machine able to run console games, that has a hefty library to boast about while the competition is getting started. Moreover, aiming the console at your install base of 64 million is FAR more intelligent than burning the 13 million that bought a WiiU and telling them that you're going back on your promise of "we're not giving up on the WiiU, it as a long life ahead of it" (Reggie - June 2014). Not only did they kill consumer faith in their brand by dropping the WiiU like that, but also, it's simple numbers, the 64 million 3DS owners will eventually make a jump over to the Switch once the price is reasonable and the library is worthwhile. However, for that to work, you have to market it as a PORTABLE, meaning, cut the gimmicky crap out of the joycons to make the price as reasonable as you can, enhance the battery life as much as you can, and finally, give it tablet-like functionality as a multimedia device. Hell, even sell it at a loss. The software sales (which are known to have high attach rate), and royalties from 3rd parties will make it worthwhile. The most important aspect of a console is that people BUY it, so that you have a large install base. As it stands, the Switch is set up for another 3DS situation in which it'll need a price cut and aggressive marketing to revive it after its initial failure. Especially since it's being marketed as home console, despite running portable hardware. Whoever thought that was a good idea, needs to be fired.
Ok, most of these decisions are so risky and are those that Nintendo will probably never make. And I would like to ask how can you maintain Wii U alive up to that year? When like this year Sony and and Microsoft are releasing more powerful consoles. And how you push release year way far is also a bit too far, not sure how the gaming industry will be like in 2019-2020, will VR be a maintstream at that time? Will 4k be a standard? Will anyone even care about home consoles? I have no idea, there are to many things that are uncertain.
I am one of that 3DS owners and I will buy Switch when the price became reasonable. And about cut the "gimmicky crap", are you mentioning the motion controls and HD rumble? It is true that most people weren't happy when Nintendo add those features, but an enhanced motion controls, and HD rumble isn't a gimmick or even a crap when we saw games like ARMS that uses motion controls, and many games on the console are utilizing that HD rumble as well.

I doubt that enhancing more battery life and it's power will make the console still affordable and yet still slim and not too bulky, even by 2019,2020. I would love to have the Switch as a multimedia device, but similar with how I use my 3DS, I have never use my 3DS to listen to music, I rarely surf the web with my 3DS as well. But since Switch is powerful as you dream of, maybe I will like that idea.
I am guessing that you want Koizumi to get fired then? He's the General Producer of Nintendo Switch, he might be the one who market it as a home console. Maybe I am wrong, but that's just my guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Welp, Totem Raticate turned out to wipe the floor with my team, him combined with the Tail Whips and Quick Attacks from the Rattata it summoned is a scary thing
Opened up with Meowth for free damage from Fake Out and try to flinch it to death but Scary Face on the second turn screws my strategy, switch out to Grimer to poison both the Raticate and Rattata with Poison Gas, turns out Raticate has a Pecha Berry, I try to poison him again and the RATTATA crits with Quick Attack, killing Grimer. I try to put it to sleep with Gastly, Bite OHKOes. I go back to Meowth to try Bite again, works for some time BUT GUESS WHO CRITTED AGAIN? Butterfree does some damage to Raticate with Gust but slows her down with SF and I have to switch out to Litten, at this point the Rattata died from poison and Raticate is on red, it somehow outspeeds Litten but he manages to finish the damn thing once and for all.

RIP
Dr. Seuss the Grimer
Fitzgerald the Meowth
Machado the Gastly

So, I guess Dan Brown is back on the team

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
So people temper their expectations. It's not pessimism, it's reality. If you're expecting the Switch to be a portable machine that will only get Nintendo games, and will probably be alive for 3-4 years, and are OK with paying extra for it to get it early (as a price cut is will need to happen regardless), then you won't be disappointed. Anything more than that, and you only have yourself to blame.
Well, I am only fine with the first two. I am not gonna pay extra to get it early, and I will be impressed if Switch gets more than that though.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Well, found out on the KI forums that, while Ulitmates will start in February, there won't be a new character release in February (but teased a possible character reveal).

D

Deleted member

Yo, what the hell!? Fitzgerald picked up a Destiny Knot before he died, why is he trying to pull a Caesar here?

Anyways, caught a Diglett in Verdant Cave, named her Clarice, yet another brazilian writer you guys probably don't know about
>Calm
What's up with all these ****ty natures?
Next catch is a Mankey, named her Martha, trust me, this is obscure even for me
>Relaxed
Could be worse, and hey, it's a ****ing Mankey, time to kick some ass

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So nintendo shared an updataed list Of the best selling Wii u and 3DS games
Wii U

• Mario Kart 8 – 8.26 million
  • New Super Mario Bros. U – 5.62 million
  • Super Mario 3D World – 5.47 million
  • Nintendo Land – 5.16 million
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 5.16 million
  • Splatoon – 4.76 million
  • Super Mario Maker – 3.89 million
  • New Super Luigi U2.89 million
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD – 2.11 million
  • Mario Party 10 – 2.04 million

Nintendo 3DS

• Pokémon X/Pokémon Y – 16.06 million
  • Mario Kart 7 – 14.82 million
  • Pokémon Sun/Pokémon Moon – 14.69 million
  • Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire – 13.68 million
  • Super Mario 3D Land – 11.17 million
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 11.09 million
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 10.45 million
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS – 8.59 million
  • Tomodachi Life – 5.58 million
  • Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 5.20 million
Neither smash was best selling

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Tomorrow will be the first day of February and the ninth day before my birthday.

And I still entirely don't know what gift I want...

Damn it my brain.:4morton:

D

Deleted member

I looked away for one second after selecting Metal Claw and when I looked back, Clarice was dead
RIP Clarice the Diglett, didn't last a battle
But I got an Oricorio on Melemele Meadow so that's good, named her Lucy Maud. You guys get this one, right?
>Careful
I swear...

Oh, also, seems like Trump is firing people who don't agree with him, so that's cool /s

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And there! My Fire Emblem ballot is complete.

Chrom Ballot.png

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So today, years ago, an event happened which made the Earth groan, for a genuinely pessimistic optimist was born who was a terrible racketball player.

That's right... today...

tmp_3943-Doofinschmirtz-s-birthday-phineas-and-ferb-3518348-300-225.jpg.cf-805348396.jpg

-File photo-

Is my birthday. Thanks for making another (ha ha) funny and (gee, that's interesting) funny year.

D

Deleted member

That is the case for NES, but how come did Wii sold more then NES despite it is a weak console and no big third party titles? It was because of the motion controls, it was a short fad but really what made Wii standout. Many games on the Wii that uses motion controls, but most third party shufflewares don't really use that well.

And this is sort of catch 22 when it comes to Nintendo getting third party titles. Nintendo consoles won't get much third party titles because lack of sale, and because lack of sale Nintendo won't get much third party titles.

I kind of disagree with your point on the third party devs, Nintendo consoles sure struggle with third party devs because lack of power, but they are relevant with their awesome first party title. And their handheld is really not the case here, PS Vita got better third party support than 3DS but still can't sell well.

Yes, hype were there when Wii U first launch, it was later the poor market and sale that mess it up, mention it's name that is confusing already. By now we can really sure if Switch will meet with the same fate, I'm not trying argue anything on this point, just wait and see.
Wii sold well because it appealed to a market outside of the industry, it actually did very poorly among gamers.

It had the lowest attach rate out of all Gen VII consoles:
tie ratio.JPG

and the console was constantly critically panned by gamers as it being one with very few interesting games. In fact, the majority of best selling Wii games, were games aimed at people who weren't really interested in gaming:
bestsellwii.JPG

Contrasted to the PS3, and you see a clear difference:
bestsellps3.JPG

In fact, going into the WiiU, one of the main concerns among gamers was if Nintendo would be able to re-establish itself as a top dog of the industry again, and fix its reputation, rather than remain as the outsider that pandered to non-gamers and did its own thing. Because in many ways, the Wii was a failure within the industry and to gamers veiled as a success due to it grabbing an audience from outside gaming. However, it's very evident just how the successful the Wii really was in gaming when you look at its abysmal retention rate, and how it failed to turn that audience drew into gaming with the Wii, into gamers with the WiiU, ESPECIALLY in a growing industry.

In many ways, the Wii is DEFINITELY an outlier. 90% of the consoles sold were sold were sold to non-gamers who didn't return, and the majority of gamers simply shelved the thing and let it collect dust.

Thus, now we can look at this trend with more clarity:

This trend will persist so long as Nintendo continues to dance at the beat of their own drum.

Bold assumptions here, if this is really what you think, I fine with that. It's just wait you say that company run by overly conservative businessmen doesn't sound odd, many other big companies are like this as well. As long as the game developers are not overly run by conservative people I'm fine, and not we are seeing with the Switch. Miyamoto, probably is, I do think he should step down which some decisions he made before.

If Nintendo really doesn't take risk, they might just release a powerful console that most people wishes, the release of Switch is a balance between innovation and taking risks.
Not at all, Nintendo has taken risks in the past, and as time went on, they've become more and more risk averse. More importanly, they are unable to learn from their mistakes, repeating them time and time again. The Switch is a 3rd attempt at grabbing that casual market that loved the Wii and DS, and an utter negligence of the demands of gamers and their fanbase, yet again.

Sony and Microsoft and Sega have all take massive risks as well, in fact, the PS3 was a huge risk for Sony, with Blu-Ray adoption, and being sold at that insane price of $599... AT A LOSS. However, Sony learned from their mistakes, and corrected them, as did M$ with the Xbone. At the launch of the PS3, Sony was riding off the hubris and arrogance of the success of the PS2, and thought they could get away with anything, and wound up paying dearly for it.

It's a similar case with Nintendo, except they're still very much arrogantly set in their way. Whereas Sony understood what the average gamer wants, and delivered it to them with the PS4, Nintendo continues to reject the demands of the industry, and thickheadedly assume that because of their brand, they can do whatever they want and people will follow along.

The industry is very simple, gamers want a variety of content on a console. The console with the most variety, is the console that will attract the majority of gamers to it. In order to have variety you MUST draw in the largest number of 3rd party titles, and to do so, you need to create a platform that's easy to develop for, and powerful enough to justify a purchase over last generation consoles.

You see, the reason console generations even exist, and why we have a jump from gen to gen, isn't because it's a tradition, that's dumb, the reason why we have jumps in generations is BECAUSE of power. Because the older consoles are simply no longer able to handle what new games can do. The Switch in this case, does NOT follow this at all, and neither the WiiU. And granted, the Wii breaks the convention, but I've already explained how that was an outlier, and a failure among gamers.

The Switch has NO business existing in the home console market. End of story. It's not gonna draw an audience from either 3rd party devs, or gamers. As a portable though, it's very well justified, as the 3DS is at its very limit, and holding back the software (Pokemon is the best example of this). And no, this has nothing to do with "graphics" either, things like physics, content, animations, sound, AI, performance, engines, etc... all play into how powerful a console is, and those are all part of the user experience.

Yet, Nintendo willfully ignores this, and pretends its not competing with the rest of them, when it very clearly is. Nothing reflects Nintendo's hubris better than their insistence on selling the Switch at a profit for that ridiculous price, especially when it's make or break moment for them.

Ok, most of these decisions are so risky and are those that Nintendo will probably never make. And I would like to ask how can you maintain Wii U alive up to that year? When like this year Sony and and Microsoft are releasing more powerful consoles. And how you push release year way far is also a bit too far, not sure how the gaming industry will be like in 2019-2020, will VR be a maintstream at that time? Will 4k be a standard? Will anyone even care about home consoles? I have no idea, there are to many things that are uncertain.
I am one of that 3DS owners and I will buy Switch when the price became reasonable. And about cut the "gimmicky crap", are you mentioning the motion controls and HD rumble? It is true that most people weren't happy when Nintendo add those features, but an enhanced motion controls, and HD rumble isn't a gimmick or even a crap when we saw games like ARMS that uses motion controls, and many games on the console are utilizing that HD rumble as well.
HDR and motion sensors are gimmicky crap, they're driving up the price of the remote to $90, and you're PAYING for that, whether it gets proper use in games, or not. The $90 of the remote are a contributing factor to the $299 price tag on the console since it's NOT sold at a loss, as has been officially stated by Kimishima. So, what could have been a better chipset in the form of Pascal, which would have saved battery life, and increased performance, instead wound up being a cheaper chip, just so they could throw in a gimmicky feature which adds little to the experience.

Well, I am only fine with the first two. I am not gonna pay extra to get it early, and I will be impressed if Switch gets more than that though.
My prediction is that it'll sell 20-30 million units lifetime. I see it as a portable console, and the downward trend for Nintendo will continue so long as they continue to march at the beat of their own drum. There's no way the Switch is outselling the 3DS. And yes, this IS a portable console, regardless of what Nintendo says. It's got portable hardware, and is built with a portable mindset. AFAIC, they've dropped out of the home console market with the discontinuation of the WiiU, they just refuse to outright say it as it's bad PR.

D

Deleted member

Caught a Zubat, her name is now Margaret. I'm running out of female names why do the RNG gods do this to me?
So today, years ago, an event happened which made the Earth groan, for a genuinely pessimistic optimist was born who was a terrible racketball player.

That's right... today...

View attachment 125477

-File photo-

Is my birthday. Thanks for making another (ha ha) funny and (gee, that's interesting) funny year.
Happy birthday-py, joy-py, nice to meetcha-py

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
GamexPlain did their preview on FEH
Looking good so far. Interesting that we haven't seen any Gaiden, Jugdral, Magvel, or Tellius characters in the game yet. Suppose they'll get added in events later on down the road.

That Minerva art was pretty spiffy.

D

Deleted member

Are images still broken for avatars? Because I would like to change my avatar.

That's right... today...

View attachment 125477

-File photo-

Happy birthday! Hope you have a nice day.

Caught a Zubat, her name is now Margaret. I'm running out of female names why do the RNG gods do this to me?

Happy birthday-py, joy-py, nice to meetcha-py
>Running out of writer names
>Hasn't even used J.K. Rowling.

Dammit, another rowlett pun

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My FE ballot.

upload_2017-1-31_22-5-16.png

Lyn is my favourite FE lord, but I'm sympathetic to Micaiah's cause. And Mia is my favourite non-lord.

That's right... today...

View attachment 125477

-File photo-

Happy Birthday. :)

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

That's right... today...

View attachment 125477

-File photo-

Happy Birthday!
Calling it now.

Inside Out themed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom