• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A group of people are making a Smash 64 mod that adds new playable characters like Rayman and Conker (it seems like most of them are Mario clones at the moment though).

They're also using a Kickstarter for donations to help fund it.

This can't end well.

Oh cool a bunch of mods for Smash 64.

Kickstarter...Well it'll get canned soon enough.

D

Deleted member

Evangelion fans can pretend their anime is “deep” while I rewatch Dragon Ball and contemplate whether Perfect Cell or Dabra was stronger, my connection to Goku as I raise my hands for the Genki Dama, and how Bulma could not realize she wasn’t wearing panties when she exposed herself to Roshi.
Deal is, Dragonball was legit good. You gotta contextualize stuff, today, Dragonball seems generic because EVERYTHING copied it. Being revolutionary has nothing with being deep, and everything with having a good, creative, and original product that breaks from the mold. In fact, Dragonball only started going to **** when it stopped being original, ergo, after Frieza died.

Action Manga were nothing like Dragonball prior to it. The concept of a hero who could fail and had to work hard to succeed was unheard of in Manga prior to Dragonball. What DB did, was it introduced a protagonist readers could connect to, rather than one they could idealize like you'd see in Fist of the North Star and so forth. That IS revolutionary within its medium and genre, and it coincides with everything I said prior to.

Meanwhile, Fairy Tail and Sword Art Online are some of the most generic **** out there. Hell, lets bash the show that I liked. Bleach, all the GOOD aspects of Bleach were literally ripped from better Manga like Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragonball, while everything else sucked and was mired in repetitive arcs and plotholes. Again, this is the difference between recognizing something that is quality, and something that isn't Bleach, like SAO and FT only got popular by literally ripping from something superior, and being very flashy and accessible.

And the deal is, it's not even the ripping off that's damning, because coping from other works is fine, if you expand on the idea and improve on it, or take a new spin to make it original. These works fail in that department, because there's nothing else TO them outside of the stuff that they copied. Dragonball was not like that, it ripped from popular stuff, like Journey to the West and Chinese Wuxia, but it expanded on it and did its own thing, and thus, was a huge success.

Being philosophical as hell certainly has it's place, but so does fast paced fun.

Ideally one would observe the qualities in everything and analyze how to best bring the positive points together rather than than simply being upset at the negative.

As an example, one could analyze the storytelling one enjoys from one thing and attempt to reason out how to use it in an environment with the flash of the other. Take note of what gives someone character in something more cynical and use it in something more optimistic. There's a reason why people enjoy certain things, it's not just "garbage," it's that there's something there worth offering. It's just that at times one might partake in a bit too much of it and shift into a change of pace once they've had their fill.

Just because I have had about enough of sitcoms for a lifetime doesn't mean I think they only exist to be shallow, for example. They're a reflection of people's lives given shape and form. It says more to the fact that I simply don't enjoy the world around me anymore that I can't get into it than the fact that sitcoms have no function.

There's definitely something interesting to be seen from things that manage to push the world forward in a way, but that doesn't render everything that doesn't get recognized as doing such as useless. Everything has it's own little push in a way, everything has something to give. Only a few things actually get the credit. And even the legendary works of the past aren't flawless either. Nor are their worldviews necessarily compatible with those of every potential reader.

And there's a certain element of "True art" as well to the world. True art is angsty, is incomprehensible, is ancient, the world says. Does that make anything optimistic, understandable, and recent worthless? Of course not. The standards for true art are rather silly. As fascinating as a light switch flicking on and off legitimately is or as quirky as steel beams oddly welded together are, if that's the standard of the world then what makes the crayon drawing of a five year old child worth any less? If watching the world collapse around you and collapsing into failure is so enthralling, then what makes being able to overcome one's failure into triumph worth any less?

I think the human race perhaps feels embarrassed by itself. Ashamed. Those that can admit the truth about the world loathe themselves to the core, so they can only feel some painful satisfaction in watching everything be destroyed, a world where everything that is not human judges us the same way we judge ourselves. But if we look even further, admit the truth behind the truth. . .humanity has some hilarious self esteem issues. And not for no reason, oh gosh no, but let's not think for a second they're not there. Art has a tendency to come from the same place in people's hearts as Nine Inch Nails.
My entire point is that this is gonna happen to you regarless. Like it or not, it's part of maturing. The deeper you delve into a medium/hobby, the more refined your tastes become with time, so long as you venture out and explore things that fall outside of your usual tastes with an open mind in order to expand your horizons/experiences.

The more you get into a hobby, the more your recognize the milestones within that hobby, and the generic uninspired stuff that honestly doesn't deserve much of anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
A group of people are making a Smash 64 mod that adds new playable characters like Rayman and Conker (it seems like most of them are Mario clones at the moment though).

This can't end well.

Nintendo: -turns into Andrew Garfield in Social Network-

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Deal is, Dragonball was legit good. You gotta contextualize stuff, today, Dragonball seems generic because EVERYTHING copied it.
Kind of veering off topic, but TVTropes actually has a page about that called Seinfeld is Unfunny. :p You know, in case people wanted more examples.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I guess I'll give the Samurai Jack comics a shot. I could go for some more tales about Jack (even if it's non-canon).

D

Deleted member

Kind of veering off topic, but TVTropes actually has a page about that called Seinfeld is Unfunny. :p You know, in case people wanted more examples.
Pffft, nothing can make Seinfeld unfunny, even if sitcoms are the lowest form of existence.

Seinfeld itself is a masterpiece.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I need the highland lizards for the climbing gear.
Hightail lizards...

You should be able to find them around Central Hyrule and such...pretty sure they can be found on the Great Plateau also...

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Deal is, Dragonball was legit good. You gotta contextualize stuff, today, Dragonball seems generic because EVERYTHING copied it. Being revolutionary has nothing with being deep, and everything with having a good, creative, and original product that breaks from the mold. In fact, Dragonball only started going to **** when it stopped being original, ergo, after Frieza died.

Action Manga were nothing like Dragonball prior to it. The concept of a hero who could fail and had to work hard to succeed was unheard of in Manga prior to Dragonball. What DB did, was it introduced a protagonist readers could connect to, rather than one they could idealize like you'd see in Fist of the North Star and so forth. That IS revolutionary within its medium and genre, and it coincides with everything I said prior to.

Meanwhile, Fairy Tail and Sword Art Online are some of the most generic **** out there. Hell, lets bash the show that I liked. Bleach, all the GOOD aspects of Bleach were literally ripped from better Manga like Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragonball, while everything else sucked and was mired in repetitive arcs and plotholes. Again, this is the difference between recognizing something that is quality, and something that isn't Bleach, like SAO and FT only got popular by literally ripping from something superior, and being very flashy and accessible.

And the deal is, it's not even the ripping off that's damning, because coping from other works is fine, if you expand on the idea and improve on it, or take a new spin to make it original. These works fail in that department, because there's nothing else TO them outside of the stuff that they copied. Dragonball was not like that, it ripped from popular stuff, like Journey to the West and Chinese Wuxia, but it expanded on it and did its own thing, and thus, was a huge success.

My entire point is that this is gonna happen to you regarless. Like it or not, it's part of maturing. The deeper you delve into a medium/hobby, the more refined your tastes become with time, so long as you venture out and explore things that fall outside of your usual tastes with an open mind in order to expand your horizons/experiences.

The more you get into a hobby, the more your recognize the milestones within that hobby, and the generic uninspired stuff that honestly doesn't deserve much of anything.
Individual tastes are obviously going to skew that. Even if you acknowledge when something has flaws more as you delve deeper in, at the end of the day you can't put a be-all end-all cap on quality because each person has different things they prioritize in terms of value.

Even if one person values the complexity or artistic value of a game, that doesn't stop it from being just incredibly unfun to play for someone that prefers something a little easier to pick up with perhaps a completely different artistic perspective. One person may want difficulty, another creativity, another something that just holds their attention. Some value the other media involved, but which one? Writing, music, artstyle? There's differing tastes in each.

Everything has something it does wrong, and even things that aren't done wrong are often done differently, so there's always quite a large amount of wiggle room as to which games fit which person. Different games are going to have different attributes for every little detail, so even if you start sorting things out according to how you perceive quality it's going to end differently for each person.

I stumbled across a top 100 list of games across tons of consoles on NeoGAF once, some of the more well liked games I enjoyed ranked fairly low but a couple of the ones that get bigger shrugs from the general public ranked MUCH higher, as in top 20 and top 10, with different people praising it or complaining about such. But ask another person with the same kind of game experience and that order might be completely different.

What metric does one judge quality by? If I said sales or cultural impact, I'd surely be told off. So then the answer becomes "Because a handful of people who call themselves discerning said so." And who am I to let others make my decisions for me? I have my own perceptions of the world, and each person has their own value as to what media makes quality.

Subjectivity is the king of this world. Humans are pretty good at learning we've been narrow-minded in the past, but we can never quite admit to ourselves that we never really stop thinking in a box. So when someone says "This is objectively the best and all of these other things are objective trash," that's off the mark because it really doesn't fall into the realm of objectivity at all.

*EDIT* What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!

*Another EDIT* Whoops killed the thread again. x.x

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

This can't end well.

I wonder what lead them to believe that using Kickstarter for this was a good idea?

The idea is really cool though, hopefully they pull the Kickstarter before they get into trouble.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

This can't end well.

That's the dumbest thing I've read today.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I ran out of tiles from Mario 3 to use in my Minecraft resource pack

So...

DK Donkey Kong.jpg

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Do you ever cook something for yourself and you just want to slap yourself, because you made something so good that you know you're going to regret having eat it later?

Me and a steak I just made.

D

Deleted member

Individual tastes are obviously going to skew that. Even if you acknowledge when something has flaws more as you delve deeper in, at the end of the day you can't put a be-all end-all cap on quality because each person has different things they prioritize in terms of value.

Even if one person values the complexity or artistic value of a game, that doesn't stop it from being just incredibly unfun to play for someone that prefers something a little easier to pick up with perhaps a completely different artistic perspective. One person may want difficulty, another creativity, another something that just holds their attention. Some value the other media involved, but which one? Writing, music, artstyle? There's differing tastes in each.

Everything has something it does wrong, and even things that aren't done wrong are often done differently, so there's always quite a large amount of wiggle room as to which games fit which person. Different games are going to have different attributes for every little detail, so even if you start sorting things out according to how you perceive quality it's going to end differently for each person.

I stumbled across a top 100 list of games across tons of consoles on NeoGAF once, some of the more well liked games I enjoyed ranked fairly low but a couple of the ones that get bigger shrugs from the general public ranked MUCH higher, as in top 20 and top 10, with different people praising it or complaining about such. But ask another person with the same kind of game experience and that order might be completely different.

What metric does one judge quality by? If I said sales or cultural impact, I'd surely be told off. So then the answer becomes "Because a handful of people who call themselves discerning said so." And who am I to let others make my decisions for me? I have my own perceptions of the world, and each person has their own value as to what media makes quality.

Subjectivity is the king of this world. Humans are pretty good at learning we've been narrow-minded in the past, but we can never quite admit to ourselves that we never really stop thinking in a box. So when someone says "This is objectively the best and all of these other things are objective trash," that's off the mark because it really doesn't fall into the realm of objectivity at all.

*EDIT* What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!

*Another EDIT* Whoops killed the thread again. x.x
But there is a clear difference between personal taste, and good or bad design.

In the context of videogames, many people who are passionate about them, have taken the time to study game design, and can pour over the subject to accumulate knowledge. You have tons of videogame analysts on youtube who give clear examples of what works and what doesn't in vidya. From Game Maker's Toolkit, to Core-A Gaming, to Matthewmatosis, and many many more.

When determining whether something works or doesn't this is the key OBJECTIVE factor that is taken into consideration, always. Matthewmatosis has a bunch of great series breaking down the 3D Zelda games, 3D Mario games, Dark Souls, and many other games.

And these are people who have not only played many games, but also studied the subject matter. When I say acquired taste, I mean attaining this deeper understanding of what makes something better or worse, fundamentally.

It's the same in Music, someone who is passionate about music, and has studied the subject extensively can tell you something is good, why something is bad, and why some things are better than others, and while yes, personal taste will always factor into it, they're still not only able to detach themselves from their preferences, and analyze whether something or not functions as is intended, but also defend their opinions with well constructed arguments, as opposed to "well I like it," or "everything is subjective anyway." Because it's not, there is indeed an objective scale through which you can measure the quality of something.

Take for example, art. You might perhaps find a picture or drawing on the web you might really like, but because you have a less trained eye, you're not aware of all the nuances that take away from it, perhaps the composition is off, the anatomy and proportions inaccurate, the colors might not work together, etc... However, myself, as an artist, can instantly pick up on a lot of the errors made in that piece, because I've trained myself to this point through years of study and hard work, and can qualify it as good or bad, and pick apart the mistakes in hopes that the creators improves on it. My opinion on that matter WOULD be much more important than that of someone who's never studied art nor drawn anything ever. Because any creative type NEEDS this. As creatives, we strive to better our skill and our craft, and we rely on people who are well-versed in specific subjects to point out flaws that we might ourselves otherwise miss. People who can detach themselves from their personal preferences, and look at something, and tell you what worked and what didn't and what can be improved, and who are able to present those ideas in well-formed manners.

This is where the idea of "taste" comes from. While we all have our preferences, someone who is well-versed in a topic, has a broad array of knowledge on a certain topic that they can tell you WHY certain things are better than others, and honestly, I always LOOK for those people. Best example that I can think of most recently is in fact Razorfist with his Metal Mythos series. The guy goes on an hour long tirade explaining why his favorite Metal bands are his favorite, and why they are better than others, or why some of their albums are better than others, and is even capable to admit, look, I LOVE this album, but I have to admit it's not their best work. Because yes, as humans we always attach emotional value to stuff, but as we develop our tastes, our eyes, ears, and other senses become more finely tuned to the things we experience. And honestly, I'm glad for people like Razorfist, because thanks to him, I've discovered a lot of really great Metal bands that I probably wouldn't have otherwise, and lemme tell you, there's a LOT of really ****ty metal out there that people praise cause they're trying to be "heavy."

So going back to game design, people who are passionate about videogames, and especially a lot of analysts and such, many are people who have studied the subject extensively, and can break down WHY you find certain elements in game fun, and why you find others more dull or less exciting. They are people who have studied this and share these opinions not only because they love the medium, but because they wanna see it grow, and reach for higher grounds. Because that's what this is all about, if people hadn't been critical of Skyward Sword, and simply settled for "well I like it" or "everything is subjective, people are pretentious" then Breath of the Wild WOULD NOT EXIST. As Aonuma admitted that what inspired that game's creation and direction is the criticism he received from Skyward Sword. And as for BotW itself, that game is NOT perfect, and while a great game, is in fact full of flaws, poor design choices, and missed opportunities that SHOULD be pointed out, so the franchise can improve. Because when people critique something, or say "this sucks" it doesn't come from a place of hating videogames, not always at least. I'd argue that more often than not, it comes from a place of loving them, and wanting them to be a better medium and strive for better things.

This doesn't mean you can't enjoy garbage, but enjoying garbage doesn't mean we should conform into settling for only garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I just wanted to share this lovely gift with the thread and I choose your post
That's what would qualify as an unsubstantial post and those are against the rules in the OP.

Don't listen to Rule 8 though. Rule 8 is heresy.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

This can't end well.

A Smash 64 mod that adds characters? Sure.

They're presently Mario clones? As long as that's not going to be staple, okay.

They're using a Kickstarter to fund it- a Nintendo mod?

D

Deleted member

I saw something about Dragon Ball and I have no idea what exactly was heing discussed but anyways:
Dragon Ball might as well be the Trope Codifier for a lot of Shonens but it suffers the same problem Ocarina of Time does now, it didn't age well.
It plays so many tropes straight that it doesn't have anything unique to it now, even if those things were unique at the time.
Compare it to Jojo, who even today manages to keep its own identity despite playing almost every Action Shonen Trope straight.

Besides, it's not like it did most of them right, overusing Death is Cheap is an easy way to make viewers lose all feeling of tension and stop caring about the fights. Having a death is worse than no one dying when you know the status quo will be restored by the end.

Speaking of the fights, most of them don't even hold any personal conflict and it seems they don't know how to make unique ones simce characters all have the same abilities with some exceptions that I can clearly remember such as the guy who could stop time, Cell and Majin Boo
And oh god are the transformations such a boring way to pad out the fights

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The new Pokemon movie is sure getting some big reactions.
Brb sending this to Style's the salt is real compilation.

I think the movie could be pretty good, hopefully it is and opens up some new storys for the anime.

D

Deleted member

OH GOD NO THEY TRANSLATED KUROGIRI'S AND NOMU'S NAMES IN THE BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE TRANSLATION

Black Mist and Brainless sound so stupid why wouod they do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom