• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys.

I have a question.

I tend to like more controversial games.

I like Skyward Sword. I like Star Fox Zero. I like Sonic Adventure 2. I like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Etc.

That's not to say I don't see the faults with them, but I still like or love them.

Does this mean I have lower standards then others?

I mean, I don't like EVERYTHING I play. I could rant about how much I hate Chibi Robo: Photo Finder because that game is terrible.

But I've been told my standards are too low recently. Do you guys agree?

D

Deleted member

Hey guys.

I have a question.

I like Skyward Sword. I like Star Fox Zero. I like Sonic Adventure 2. I like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Etc.

That's not to say I don't see the faults with them, but I still like or love them.

I mean, I don't like EVERYTHING I play. I could rant about how much I hate Chibi Robo: Photo Finder because that game is terrible.

It all depends, do you like the low tier pokemon that is furret?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey guys.

I have a question.

As long as you have mutual attraction and are happy it doesn't matter

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey guys.

I have a question.

No. You're just more optimistic which is good in a community where 7/10 means the game is 'LITERALLY unplayable'

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Hey guys.

I have a question.

I like to think of it less as "low standards" and more as "different standards."

Personally, anyone who unironically declares the standards of others as being low is just an elitist dickwad, at least when it comes to video games.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Hey guys.

I have a question.

Wow poor taste confirmed :denzel:

But in all seriousness, if whatever game appeals to you, then that's your right. Taste is pretty subjective after all. Not every single game is going to be made for all audiences. Those games, while "controversial" I guess, obviously resonated with you in a way that no one can take away from. So more power to you.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hey guys.

I have a question.

You don't have low standards just by liking controversial games. It's just that you are more open to games in general and that you are ready to forgive a game fault as long as you enjoy it.
Basically, don't let others ruin your enjoyement. If you like a game that is bad or not, then more power to you! Enjoy those games to the fullest! :)

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Hey guys.

I have a question.

Nah, you just enjoy stuff.

Also, consider the sources. The person who accused you of low standards - what was their high-tier game of choice? Not saying they're wrong, per se, but it could explain much regarding differing tastes.

For example, I've no idea how a dhampir could be so hilariously wrong about Furret, but I assume differing tastes are to blame.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Excuse you, Furret happens to be adorable. :162:
Furret is probably the most useless of the rattata's and also is more boring looking than it's prevolution

Furret - A cartoon Ferret

Sentret - A mixture between a flying squirrel and a racoon

D

Deleted member

For example, I've no idea how a dhampir could be so hilariously wrong about Furret, but I assume differing tastes are to blame.
Like I said, just food for noctowls and golbats. It's not a creature of the night dude. It's body makes it so that it's easy for it to be clawed or bit into and then flown away with. :p

Chrono.

Furret is probably the most useless of the rattata's and also is more boring looking than it's prevolution

Furret - A cartoon Ferret

Sentret - A mixture between a flying squirrel and a racoon
Well here's the thing about that.

I don't care.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
All of this make me remember I must be one of the few person on the planet who actually like Sonic Chronicle : The Dark Brotherhood and Wario : Master of Disguise.
Welp, I guess you can't win them all. :081:
Bah, still better than Teen Titan Go.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
what was their high-tier game of choice?
Well...

Hrm.

I think I know more about what he doesn't like more than he does.

I know he likes Mega Man, fighting games, Dark Souls, puzzle oriented Zeldas and Nintendo in general.

This is the guy who said Barret (From FF7) was racist and The Boss (From MGS3) was sexist (she was too manly apparently). He's given me the same lecture on writing twice. He's a nice guy but sometimes controlling and has some self confidence issues. He's almost my equal in Smash skill and occasionally gets downtrodden when I win.

Interesting fellow.

What are your thoughts on him?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Like I said, just food for noctowls and golbats. It's not a creature of the night dude. It's body makes it so that it's easy for it to be clawed or bit into and then flown away with. :p
See, this is what I'm talking about.

I'm not looking for a creature of the night, I'm looking for a great big ferret.

Differing tastes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey guys.

I have a question.

yeh

you're too positive

it bums me out

get sad and cynical like the cool kids asap plz

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So I just found the Hebra Great Skeleton.

Wow...that spot felt like something out of Xenoblade Chronicles X.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think we can all agree that top ones are Rattata, Bidoof, and Bunnelby

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The Boss (From MGS3) was sexist (she was too manly apparently).

Interesting fellow.

OK, this guy is full of ****.
Like, what I am reading right now? I can't even...
I must guess Quiet is a good female character in that case? After all, with all the butt and boobs shot you can have with her. I'm sure she represent woman as it should be in video game.:rolleyes:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Well.

I know he likes Mega Man, fighting games, Dark Souls, puzzle oriented Zeldas and Nintendo in general.
Eh, choices could be worse.

This is the guy who said Barret (From FF7) was racist
I can see where he's coming from, though I don't know if I agree.

and The Boss (From MGS3) was sexist (she was too manly apparently).
Nah.

He's given me the same lecture on writing twice.
Poor memory, strong feelings, pompousness, genuine desire to teach, possibly a mix? Impossible to tell from this alone.

He's a nice guy but sometimes controlling and has some self confidence issues. He's almost my equal in Smash skill and occasionally gets downtrodden when I win.
Self-confidence issues likely lead to the control issues, commanding to prove the measure of his self-worth. Probably ties into the Smash bit as well. I'd expect that he looks very disfavorably on failure.

Anyway. I don't know the chap per se, so any character judgement is probably suspect in part or in whole. He doesn't necessarily sound dastardly, I guess.

You're objectively wrong if you try to claim Patrat and Watchog aren't the worst Rattatas
Probably just completely forgot about them.

As should we all.

Pfffft, I can't believe I got someone to type that innuendo. :p
Of course.

I take most any opportunity I get.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
OK, this guy is full of ****.
Like, what I am reading right now? I can't even...
I must guess Quiet is a good female character in that case? After all, with all the butt and boobs shot you can have with her. I'm sure she represent woman as it should be in video game.:rolleyes:
Nah.

They were both apparently terrible. Quiet, for the reasons you talked about.

He cited both as proof that Kojima couldn't write women.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Nah.

They were both apparently terrible. Quiet, for the reasons you talked about.

He cited both as proof that Kojima couldn't write women.
Hm, yeah sure, Sniper Wolf, Olga, EVA can go home apparantly.
Seriously, how in the heck The Boss is a bad written woman character? Quiet, I can understand, but The Boss? Urgh, this is giving me headache...
And I don't see how being "manly" is something bad for a woman character. Minor the fact that The Boss isn't even manly at all but heeeeey, who I am to judge?:rolleyes:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei

In 100% honesty the fact that Skyward Sword and Xenoblade X are considered bad games just goes to show how spoiled the gamer base really is. Like someone else said a 70 on Metacritic in games is considered 'bad'. To put that into perspective, if a movie gets a 70% or above rating on Rotten Tomatoes it's considered 'guaranteed fresh' which means that a lot of people thought it was good and it's almost guaranteed you'll enjoy it as well.

And as a game, and not for what it did to the franchise, Sonic Adventure 2 is a FAR, FAR better game than 1. It's controls are tighter, it's levels are faster (or have better level design in general depending per character), and it's overall polish is much more noticable.

So you liking games like that isn't a problem with you. It's the fact that gamers are spoiled and jump to conclusions that anything below a 9 is garbage. None of the games you mentioned are bad. This is coming from someone who loves DK 64 the top tier of controversial games.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
IDK it sounds like you have the exact same tastes as noctowl
It's well and true that both of us are looking for adorable, cuddly fuzzballs with minimal understanding of what a spine is.

But I'd prefer not to eat it once I find it.

D

Deleted member

In 100% honesty the fact that Skyward Sword and Xenoblade X are considered bad games just goes to show how spoiled the gamer base really is. Like someone else said a 70 on Metacritic in games is considered 'bad'. To put that into perspective, if a movie gets a 70% or above rating on Rotten Tomatoes it's considered 'guaranteed fresh' which means that a lot of people thought it was good and it's almost guaranteed you'll enjoy it as well.

And as a game, and not for what it did to the franchise, Sonic Adventure 2 is a FAR, FAR better game than 1. It's controls are tighter, it's levels are faster (or have better level design in general depending per character), and it's overall polish is much more noticable.

So you liking games like that isn't a problem with you. It's the fact that gamers are spoiled and jump to conclusions that anything below a 9 is garbage. None of the games you mentioned are bad. This is coming from someone who loves DK 64 the top tier of controversial games.
SA2's (Battle as for me) only major flaws are Rouge's levels and Tails's voice acting and boring levels.
Aside these, you must be dishonest to consider Sonic Adventure 2 a bad game.
You may still be disappointed by it if you prefer 2D Sonic's speed, but still.

Same with DK64, you may not be a fan of collectathon but you must be dishonest to name it bad.

Same with Xeno X, you may have been disappointed by its lackluster story and characters but you must be dishonest to not recognize its well done background and its infinity of gameplay possibilities.

As for Skyward Sword though, you must be very blinded and know nothing in video games to consider it as the best game ever made. :>

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hey guys.

I have a question.

Not exactly.

I mean Even those games have some merit of good content. Like the Sandsea in SS or The Chao garden. Besides everyone is bound to have a few low quality games they enjoy. I like Mega Man X6 more than X5 for example, despite those games(X6 in particular) having really poor design choices.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I don't think it's so much that gamers are spoilt as much as they love to be hyperbolic.

Seriously, everything either seems to be "amazing" or "trash" when people talk about a game. And amazing games exist, as do trash ones. But whatever happened to acknowledging that something is just... decent? All opinions online seem to find themselves getting intensified by echo chambers.

Though to your comparison, I feel that there are more higher quality games than movies nowadays. That might be why people have lower standards for movies. When it comes to TV, in which there is, imo, a lot of high-quality content, people do look more derisively on ratings around 70. I suppose in this, granted, it is easy to get spoiled. Though I feel there was always a good variety of great games. So it's probably a mix of both...

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah, I saw those classes in the wiki, I don't get why they even felt the need to make enemy-only variations of normal classes, much less some boss with the same name as their class
My guess is to imply that the bosses in question were monsters or something.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Iida being an adorable dork is the best thing to ever happen in Season 2
But a little too much I say? At least for this episode.

And I also finished watching "A Silent Voice"/"A Shape of Voice" in my local theater.

I don't really know what to say beside the movie is so good...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I highly disagree.

SA2 is more technically polished, but SA1 is far better in terms of design, especially level design. It also nails the spirit of Sonic games way better.

Pretty much all of the core game mode types from the first game were handled better in SA1 as opposed to SA2 as well. They weren't as technically polished, but they were so much better designed.

I also wouldn't say SA2 is FAR better in terms of polish. It's like, marginally better, but it's not enough to trump the far superior design philosophies of SA1.

If both games were remade with today's technology and polished to perfection (i.e. no major bugs), I guarantee that more people would love an SA1 remake compared to an SA2 remake, because giving them both equal polish would make SA1's superior design traits even more obvious.

Also SA2 was not faster than SA1, at all. They heavily nerfed the Spin Dash in SA2 so you had to rely on boost pads for speed. In SA1, you could mash Sonic's Spin Dash while running to constantly gain speed to ridiculous extremes, and you could do so at anytime. SA1 also had a more dynamic physics programming akin to the classic games, meaning slopes had a much greater effect on your speed.

I won't knock anyone for preferring SA2, but don't act like SA1 can't compare. There are many arguments for it's case as the better title, lol.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
naw, I mean, I love sonic 06 and dont mind Sonic boom and dont really care for some games others like
Bah, still better than Teen Titan Go.
Thats also another thing I love to watch pf. Its actually pretty funny to me
---
Slow day
Persona 5, man. It is truly the best persona game ever made. I used to think 4 was the greatest but 5 gives me emotions 4 never did

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Hey guys.

I have a question.

Is this your friend?

I mean apart from Star Fox Zero (which I haven't played outside of it's demo) those are games that I also enjoy (what's wrong with SA2?)

I don't think it's more of having low standards but moreso you're not as bothered by a game's flaws enough to make you still enjoy the game...open-mindedness shouldn't be treated as a bad thing...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Hey guys.

I have a question.

If you have fun playing those games, than that's all that should matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom