• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But did they happen from ASSAD

Since he had nothing to gain from it
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/06/postmortems-confirm-syria-chemical-attack-turkey-says
The medical results from Turkey came as the Syrian foreign minister denied his government used chemical weapons in the attack. He also denied Syria had ever used them, even though reports from UN investigators have confirmed previous chemical attacks by both the Syrian government and Islamic State forces.

Speaking to reporters in Damascus, Walid al-Muallem said: “The Syrian Arab Army has never used chemical weapons and will not use chemical weapons against Syrians and even against terrorists.”
The postmortem results add to mounting evidence that the attack involved deliberate use of chemical weapons by a Syrian warplane.
Witnesses said at least one Syrian warplane dropped bombs on Khan Sheikhun at about 6.30am on Tuesday.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't Assad and the Syrian government, frankly.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
1) Assad is winning the war
2) The US said it wasn't going to ally with the rebels anymore
3) Turkey is supposedly the witness and Turkey have close ties to the rebels
4) Russia removed any chemical weapons Syria had in 2013 and there has been no evidence of them acquiring more

It's based on the word of Turkey, who have vested interest in the rebels and somehow were able to get ambulances and equipment safely to and from a warzone

The US wasn't going to aid the rebels anymore so the only people that had a motive for the attack are the rebels themselves to drag USA in

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Those reports are reporting that Assad used Chemical weapons, but according to Turkey. According to investigation(done by Russia) it is possible that they've hit a chemical weapons depot controlled by the rebels.(Who themselves use chemical weapons.)

It is possible that they did indeed fire chemical weapons(only due to them having them back in 2013, which were removed by Russia, though it still doesn't make much sense for them to use chemical weapons at this point.), but the point is that Trump made the decision on something that wasn't even certain at the time he made it. And even if they do have chemical weapons, it doesn't make the response any better, it's still a ******** decision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
4) Russia removed any chemical weapons Syria had in 2013 and there has been no evidence of them acquiring more

It's based on the word of Turkey, who have vested interest in the rebels and somehow were able to get ambulances and equipment safely to and from a warzone

The US wasn't going to aid the rebels anymore so the only people that had a motive for the attack are the rebels themselves to drag USA in
Interesting.

This means I'll need to do more research.
Those reports are reporting that Assad used Chemical weapons, but according to Turkey. According to investigation(done by Russia) it is possible that they've hit a chemical weapons depot controlled by the rebels.(Who themselves use chemical weapons.)

It is possible that they did indeed fire chemical weapons(only due to them having them back in 2013, which were removed by Russia, though it still doesn't make much sense for them to use chemical weapons at this point.), but the point is that Trump made the decision on something that wasn't even certain at the time he made it. And even if they do have chemical weapons, it doesn't make the response any better, it's still a ******** decision.
Don't get me wrong. I think the air strike was a stupid thing to do.

I was just looking for some reporting on what Syria did and found those articles.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
But did they happen from ASSAD

Since he had nothing to gain from it
This one has been difficult for me to determine as well, but there's a few speculative reasons.

First and most direct of note, the targeted city, Khan Sheikhoun, was rebel-held, and therefore Assad would have directly profited from the strike, if only in a reduction of forces and morale.

However, at least one article in The New York Times does offer an explanation I hadn't thought of previously, but which does make some sense: Assad is targeting regions outside his influence in order to create a hostile environment - except in regions under his control. Therefore those in Syria are met with a choice - live under Assad's jurisdiction, leave Syria, or die. This would consolidate his power within the nation as the ruling power of the only areas deemed safe.

If this is correct, then those in Khan Sheikhoun, defying the first two options, were given the third.

Now in order for this to function properly, the stalemate between Russia and the United States regarding the region would have to hold. If either stepped in as a greater authority than Assad, then he would have to work that much harder to convey to the people of Syria that asserting their rights would not be a valid fourth option. And so far, that's apparently worked. Regarding this strike:

“Militarily, there is no need,” said Bente Scheller, the Middle East director of the Berlin-based Heinrich Böll Foundation. “But it spreads the message: You are at our mercy. Don’t ask for international law. You see, it doesn’t protect even a child.”
Undermining Assad by diplomacy or force would be equally disastrous for him, as the former is to some degree implicitly backed by the latter, but so long as the stalemate held the former would be impossible. Without a way to break the stalemate, leaders would then have to weigh the effects of force.

Now much of this is theory based on incomplete information, from my perspective at least. I've frankly ignored the issue for this long, to my current shame. But, if correct, the theory offers an explanation for Assad's actions.

On its face it would seem to explain Trump's as well, except that it seemed like the Trump administration was looking to strengthen diplomatic ties with Russia rather than butt heads with them. But of course there's the allegations that those diplomatic ties were already, shall we say, pre-strengthened. Perhaps this was one part a notice to Assad, one part a bridge-burning maneuver meant to derail the accusations against the Trump administration.

I'll need to learn more in order to corroborate or debunk this, but my primary concern is that the only information that this offers regarding the future is the conclusion it draws for the present - that. in Trump's mind, in this situation the benefits of force outweighed the detriments. And he happens to be in a position of authority to make that happen seemingly without need or regard for the full set of checks and balances that congressional or international approval would provide.

Which begs a question I can't answer right away - was this situation unique, or just the first?

I'm tired, y'all.

I just want to quip and photoshop funny things together. Instead I get to sit here shivering from some measure of caffeination, sleep deprivation, and a cold dread.

Night's been bull****.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know Dio's the lead villain, but literally almost every villain so far (On Chapter 21) is really forgettable (Minus Forever, I really liked the idea of him)
Yeah, Part 3 gets much better on the second half
I'd say the Death 13 and Judgement are fhe highlights of the first half, not counting Hol Horse
Sounds like standard fare Trump then

"Just another day for the Trump, eh?"
*cue laugh track*
Written and Directed by Donald J. Trump
but according to Turkey.
And now I'm really skeptical all of a sudden

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
*scratches new Switch bezel the first time docking it despite never having a problem before*

. . .

. . .

>___________________<

I'm. . .exhausted.

I feel like this is some kind of cosmic punishment for actually being optimistic about the Switch.

Can't say I haven't done significantly worse to Nintendo handled screens, I guess. You don't even want to hear the horror story of what I did to my DS Lite screen the day after I got it, it'll physically hurt you. Just really tired after a month of not having my PC and a week of not having my Switch and all of my electronics going haywire all at once.

Not like I would have gotten around to buying a screen protector without damaging it in the first place. I'm a bit backwards like that.

D

Deleted member

To bring a new topic here, it's April 2017, and we still haven't got a single trailer for Star Wars VIII, which is due to get released next December...

I don't know about you, but I'm getting worried it'll be pushed for a later release in 2018.

Maybe it has something to do with Carrie Fisher's passing last year, despite Disney saying Leia's character will not be involved in it iirc.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Someone tell him Star Wars Celebration is next week.

If there isn't an Episode 8 trailer there then I'll Axe Kick an Easter Egg.

D

Deleted member

To bring a new topic here, it's April 2017, and we still haven't got a single trailer for Star Wars VIII, which is due to get released next December...

I don't know about you, but I'm getting worried it'll be pushed for a later release in 2018.

Maybe it has something to do with Carrie Fisher's passing last year, despite Disney saying Leia's character will not be involved in it iirc.

From what I've read, Leia will still be present in Star Wars VIII, since all her scenes in that movie were filmed before Carrie Fisher's death. She might not appear in Ep. IX, though, since Disney/Lucasfilm did state that they won't digitally recreate her likeness like they did with her cameo in Rogue One.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I just finished AM2R.
And I tell you, there is alot I could say about how good this game is and that, I dare to say, it is a official Metroid game in my eyes.
But since I am so hungry right now, I'm just gonna to say:
10/10, 10/10, 100/100, Best game, BEST GAME.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
A bit late now, perhaps, but:

I read these counterpoints after my previous post and decided to research them, since it would color my understanding of, and the validity of, the theory I've proposed.

I started with the fourth, expecting to work my way backwards. It became quite a task, and I'm still on the clock, so I'll have to leave it at point number 4 for now and work my way backwards to 1 over the day.

4) This one operates in two parts. Firstly, the agency of Russia, and secondly, the removal of the weapons.

As Russia is a major player in the current conflict, and a key contributor to and supporter of the UN Security Council resolution to disarm Syria's chemical stockpile in the first place, it would stand to reason that they might see any action counter to that arrangement as a personal besmirch, and therefore act to resolve that as best as possible.

This is why I find it odd that the only involvement I can find regarding Russia is an offer of military observers to help oversee operations. The evidence of destruction I could find on short notice indicated that the primary burden of destroying its most dangerous agents involved shipping them to facilities in the United States and Europe, or destroying them aboard the MV Cape Ray, an American vessel deployed in the eastern Mediterranean for that express purpose.

Without Russia's assistance the resolution never would have passed and the destruction likely never implemented, so this is not to discredit them per se. But I would advise crediting them solely, even implicitly. They were far from lone actors.

Also it's worth noting that the resolution did not complete in 2013, though it did pass on September 23rd of that year. In fact, even with the last of them shipped out for destruction on June 23, 2014, the official OPCW confirmation that the declared stockpile was destroyed did not occur until January 4, 2015.

And then, in May 2015, a report came out that OPCW inspectors found traces of precursors necessary to make the sarin and VX nerve agents at a military research site in December 2014 and January 2015. The site was undisclosed to the OPCW at the time.

And it's not a matter of definition or slip of materials, as these precursors are the way those agents are normally stored. Sarin degrades rapidly in highly acidic environments, and production creates hydrofluoric acid or hydrochloric acid depending on the production method. Sarin itself typically breaks down in a matter of weeks to months, whereas a binary munition made of the precursors has a shelf life of up to five years. Finally, the primary precursor to sarin, methylphosphonyl difluoride, is a Schedule I substance to the CWC, whether it's mixed already or not.

This all assumes that Sarin was the chemical used in the attack. It makes no judgement on who pulled the trigger, because at present that is irrelevant. Turkey claims Assad's regime struck with it intentionally. Assad claims he was striking a rebel munitions facility and that there must have been chemicals stored there that he was unaware of when ordering the strike.

But neither denies the aftermath, and the symptoms and recovery methods are consistent with exposure to sarin, quoting doctors treating the affected in Sarmin Field Hospital, which is supported by the Syrian-American Medical Society in Idlib. Presumably that makes them independent of at least Turkey.

I'm going to be at this for a while, I fear.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
In funner news, using my new BotW save to do all the things I felt I should have done in a different order in my old save.

The first step was getting a certain steed as soon as I dropped off the Plateau. That's done now, and it's going to make the second step much easier.

I don't want to hear "You're not the hero this, you don't have the sword that seals the darkness that." By the time I'd got it before I'd run out of places that would even mention it.

36 Shrines. Lost Woods. Let's go. Try me.

. . .Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't have talked to that one girl in front of the stable right away this run either. But oh well. She sucks anyway. Not as much as the one moron in front of Gerudo Town does, but she sucks.

The point is, I want glory and the surely existent alt dialog from the storyline. No more guilt tripping from NPCs.

I'm not even gonna dip a toe into any of the towns this time until I have the Sacred Stick of Legends. Not even so much as Kakariko. Now THAT's a special run.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Disney ain't giving up that late December spot.

Also Celebration is next week

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'm not even gonna dip a toe into any of the towns this time until I have the Sacred Stick of Legends. Not even so much as Kakariko. Now THAT's a special run.
I dig it.

Personally, I want to start a challenge run on a different profile to test myself.

No Beasts.

No upgrades.

No pants.

Find out how good I really got at perfect dodging.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I dug down too deep in the rabbit hole. Here's an explanation of Concentration in Metroid Other M
"Other M was all just a bad dream after Samus ate way too many Baconators the night before. When her dream becomes a nightmare (read: low health), she has to stop and reassert the dream's lucidity."

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I dug down too deep in the rabbit hole. Here's an explanation of Concentration in Metroid Other M
"Other M was all just a bad dream after Samus ate way too many Baconators the night before. When her dream becomes a nightmare (read: low health), she has to stop and reassert the dream's lucidity."
After seeing Samus nearly piss herself after seeing Ridley, I want to believe that entire game is a bad dream.

D

Deleted member

So, the FE Echoes world map got datamined
Spoilers for the postgame chapter

I was expecting we wouldn't get to explore Akaneia much but I'm still somewhat disappointed.
I wonder why the sea routes to it, seems like the chapter might be mainly on those areas(which would mean more boat maps, yay!).
Also wondering how it'll work regarding the two parties, will they be separated somehow or have the armies join?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Speaking of Star Wars Celebrations.

Pretty sure there's going to be an announcement of a Star Wars movie for a certain padawan of Darth Vader/Anakin's.

Why?

Rosario Dawson had been very very vocal about wanting to portray her in a live action Star Wars movie.

Yesterday? People discovered that just prior to Celebrations, the official Star Wars twitter and a producer of the Star Wars universe both started following her on Twitter.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Speaking of Star Wars Celebrations.

Pretty sure there's going to be an announcement of a Star Wars movie for a certain padawan of Darth Vader/Anakin's.

Why?

Rosario Dawson had been very very vocal about wanting to portray her in a live action Star Wars movie.

Yesterday? People discovered that just prior to Celebrations, the official Star Wars twitter and a producer of the Star Wars universe both started following her on Twitter.

That'd be dope. Any rumors about an Obi-Wan movie tho?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sonic may be getting another mobile runner game.

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/04/07/...e-called-sonic-runners-adventure-coming-soon/

Gameloft worked on the mobile versions of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and Sonic Unleashed, so it's not like the developer comes out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So, the FE Echoes world map got datamined
Spoilers for the postgame chapter

I was expecting we wouldn't get to explore Akaneia much but I'm still somewhat disappointed.
I wonder why the sea routes to it, seems like the chapter might be mainly on those areas(which would mean more boat maps, yay!).
Also wondering how it'll work regarding the two parties, will they be separated somehow or have the armies join?
I've seen screenshots of the final dungeon, the armies are combined for Chapter 6.

...Though it seems silly the paths to Alm's side of the map would still be blocked off.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I was looking through some of Rock's win quotes in KOF XIV...

vs. Alice: A-Are you OK? Your moves are so much like Terry’s, I got a little too fired up...

vs. Yuri: Th-The Kyokugen style attracts all kinds, huh...

How amusing, still hormonal as hell :p
Rock will never be able to do a BUSTA WOLF if his "Are You OK"s aren't confident.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Sonic may be getting another mobile runner game.

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/04/07/...e-called-sonic-runners-adventure-coming-soon/

Gameloft worked on the mobile versions of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and Sonic Unleashed, so it's not like the developer comes out of nowhere.
I'd be fully down with a Sonic Runners sequel with 100% less roulette wheel.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Glad to hear about the Yooka-Laylee patch details.

Now my worries have vanished. Though a camera patch would be nice.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I legit hope this is canon

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I legit hope this is canon
Nah, the canon version has her crying herself to sleep after 6 tubs of ice cream after she realized she'd never get a kick ass sequel to Fusion in which she's considered a terrorist by the GF and has a Zero Suit stealth gameplay in which she's able to use her Metroid DNA powers to stealthkill and ****

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sonic Runners Adventure is real after all.

Sounds like a sequel/spiritual successor/revival of Sonic Runners, but being outsourced to Gameloft (Sonic Team are probably too busy with Sonic Forces and a bit of Sonic Mania, probably a contributing factor to why they killed the original as well as it's general failure). It also won't be online-only, and seems to be aiming to get rid of the gacha aspect of the game (i.e. no more random pulls for Heroes/Buddies, everything is either unlocked at specific milestones of play, or purchased with Rings).

It also sounds like it will have normal levels akin to Super Mario Run/Rayman Jungle Run, as well as the traditional Endless Mode.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom