• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't see what that has to do with my post but I agree I guess?

I was always indifferent to the Tails stages, there's only two in the entire game, and Unleashed is a huge game so it's barely a footnote in it to me.
You said the game was challenging. I agree with this. Except for those two sections, which doesn't "challenge" the player. It's just a forced but poorly implemented minigame where if you can't perfectly hit the right button as it random comes up, you take damage. This happens often, so you can die easily.

The rest of the game has challenging stages, enemy placement, etc. Except that one bit. That's what I'm pointing at, that one area of the game isn't "challenging" but just a poorly designed mini-game and nothing more. Reaction-based stuff is already very difficult to balance since if the pattern isn't repeated, and is random, it becomes extremely difficult. Trial and error is no longer a possible solution to the problem, which is why it was not a well received part of the game(it was needlessly hard for many players and didn't add anything worthwhile to the game. It may have been a callback to Adventure 1, but it wasn't done in a way that was fun, reasonably challenging, or worked well). Rest of the game worked fine, respectively.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What is said glitch?
The Blood Moon occurs multiple times in a day (in-game) sometimes in the middle of the day....and sometimes it occurs as often as 5 or 6 times within ten minutes of gameplay...it's not really that common but it's noticeable when it does happen...

It's especially annoying when it happens after taking out a Bokoblin camp or in the middle of a boss fight...then happens again immediately after...

I mean, it obviysly is the solution since that is what fixes the problem. Your probably gonna keep having the problem as long as you put it in sleep mode
Not saying I won't try it at all, but this is still something that shouldn't happen within the game...

What I'm saying is, if I do said solution, and go back to using sleep mode as often as I do and the problem returns then it's not a fix...

I shouldn't feel the need to not use a feature that I use very often due to my lifestyle...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You said the game was challenging. I agree with this. Except for those two sections, which doesn't "challenge" the player. It's just a forced but poorly implemented minigame where if you can't perfectly hit the right button as it random comes up, you take damage. This happens often, so you can die easily.

The rest of the game has challenging stages, enemy placement, etc. Except that one bit. That's what I'm pointing at, that one area of the game isn't "challenging" but just a poorly designed mini-game and nothing more. Reaction-based stuff is already very difficult to balance since if the pattern isn't repeated, and is random, it becomes extremely difficult. Trial and error is no longer a possible solution to the problem, which is why it was not a well received part of the game(it was needlessly hard for many players and didn't add anything worthwhile to the game. It may have been a callback to Adventure 1, but it wasn't done in a way that was fun, reasonably challenging, or worked well). Rest of the game worked fine, respectively.
I mean...OK?

It's one easy part of a game that's otherwise quite challenging. That's not unusual at all. I was just making a general statement about it's overall difficulty. Obviously the whole game is not rock hard.

I just feel like this is kinda coming out of nowhere.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Aonuma says that the open world formula should be a future standard for the Zelda franchise.

Do you all agree with this?

https://zeldauniverse.net/2017/04/04/aonuma-believes-that-all-future-zelda-games-will-be-open-world/
Yes...It feels more like a genuine experience when you have the freedom to explore and discover things on your own...

I actually feel like I'm on an adventure while playing Breath of the Wild rather than just following a pre-determined sequence of events...

D

Deleted member

Aonuma says that the open world formula should be a future standard for the Zelda franchise.

Do you all agree with this?

https://zeldauniverse.net/2017/04/04/aonuma-believes-that-all-future-zelda-games-will-be-open-world/
IDK, I've never played a single Zelda game.

As long as open world games don't start replacing linear games as a whole. Open world games get boring really fast especially when you realize how technically linear and repetitive they can be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean...OK?

It's one easy part of a game that's otherwise quite challenging. That's not unusual at all. I was just making a general statement about it's overall difficulty. Obviously the whole game is not rock hard.

I'm criticizing what you said. It's not out of nowhere. You put your thoughts on Unleashed after I mentioned and discussed it. I replied back saying I disagree with a point you made.

...Tails stages are not easy by any stretch of the imagination. Like, it's one of the hardest parts of the games no matter how you look at it. Even people good at that know it's not an easy moment due to the RNG. Anything else is easier overall due to not having any real gameplay issues with it that punish you severely hard for screwing up. Everything else is legitimately easier because it either provides you less issues(constant lives in the Werehog sections) or the gameplay isn't unbalanced.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
While I had trouble with the Mach Speed stages in 06, I almost beat them each time I played. So in that case, it was more "I can still do this, but just not yet", where the Tails stages completely destroyed me and seriously killed my liking of the game.
This isn't congruent with your current posts per se, but it's valid to address for the larger discussion.

[EDIT]: Two minutes too late.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This isn't congruent with your current posts per se, but it's valid to address for the larger discussion.

[EDIT]: Two minutes too late.
I think I explained the issues with the Tails stages before speaking to ChikoLad? I forget. Either way, it's pretty much the only part of the game that is particularly hard as a mechanic. While later levels are legit challenging and can be hard, none of the gameplay mechanics make it pointlessly difficult. That's the key issue with it. It has poor design overall.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Oh right.

Hey redfeatherraven redfeatherraven remember those hotdogs we talked about this morning?

I woke up with eight on a plate next to me on my coffee table. Uncooked, unopened.

I was super serious. I really wanted hotdogs. :laugh:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm criticizing what you said. It's not out of nowhere. You put your thoughts on Unleashed after I mentioned and discussed it. I replied back saying I disagree with a point you made.

...Tails stages are not easy by any stretch of the imagination. Like, it's one of the hardest parts of the games no matter how you look at it. Even people good at that know it's not an easy moment due to the RNG. Anything else is easier overall due to not having any real gameplay issues with it that punish you severely hard for screwing up. Everything else is legitimately easier because it either provides you less issues(constant lives in the Werehog sections) or the gameplay isn't unbalanced.
I just saw multiple posts by multiple people, some people talking about the difficulty of the later levels (which are the ones with most of the frame rate problems I mentioned), and decided to give my two cents. I wasn't directing it towards anyone in particular, and I didn't even see the mentions of the Tails levels anywhere if they were there. I only skimmed.

Now you're just confusing me. The Tails stages are "not challenging", but they're "not easy", but they're "hard"? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

IMO I thought they were pretty easy and inoffensive. I don't particularly like them and, if we had to have a Tails plane level at all, I'd rather it be like Sky Chase from Sonic Adventure, where it plays like a Star Fox game. But I can't be mad at them because I find them to be a small and insignificant part of the game. If they bother you though, that's fine. I can see why they would bother someone. I just see them as a mediocre but incredibly short rhythm mini-game.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I just saw multiple posts by multiple people, some people talking about the difficulty of the later levels (which are the ones with most of the frame rate problems I mentioned), and decided to give my two cents. I wasn't directing it towards anyone in particular, and I didn't even see the mentions of the Tails levels anywhere if they were there. I only skimmed.

Now you're just confusing me. The Tails stages are "not challenging", but they're "not easy", but they're "hard"? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

IMO I thought they were pretty easy and inoffensive. I don't particularly like them and, if we had to have a Tails plane level at all, I'd rather it be like Sky Chase from Sonic Adventure, where it plays like a Star Fox game. But I can't be mad at them because I find them to be a small and insignificant part of the game. If they bother you though, that's fine. I can see why they would bother someone. I just see them as a mediocre but incredibly short rhythm mini-game.
I'm using them as different meanings. Challenging to mean it requires effort. Hard means it's frustrating and not all that fun. Personal definitions, but at least you know what I mean now. That helps clear the confusion I hope? :)

To clarify, a game having a serious roadblock sours my experience. I actually enjoy Unleashed to a degree. The day stages were mediocre to me, but still fun. Tails stages were unplayable. Werehog stages felt really fun, and I vastly enjoyed the hub world itself. Non-gameplay-wise, the characters and story are sweet. I just have yet to experience much of it personally due to being stuck on the Tails stages. This is why it soured my experience. Impossible(for me) to overcome roadblocks make it difficult to enjoy the rest of the game. I'm a person who loves to experience a game for themselves, not to just watch cutscenes. That makes the story more enjoyable, because you see it/read it yourself directly.

But anyway, I can see why you didn't realize I was mostly complaining about the Tails stages earlier. It wasn't all I said plus others weren't talking about it.

Now that that's settled, have you played the non-HD versions of Unleashed? I still need to do so(I own the Wii version). I'm aware it has more Werehog stuff, but what did you think of it?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'd rather it be like Sky Chase from Sonic Adventure, where it plays like a Star Fox game.
It's been so long since I played Adventure that I forgot all about this.

This really does need to return sometime.

Chrono.

Oh god no, I hated the Sky Chases from Adventure.

They weren't hard or anything, just extremely dull and boring. Didn't help how you had to go through both acts with both Sonic and Tails. It's literally my least favorite part of replaying Adventure.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

They weren't hard or anything, just extremely dull and boring. Didn't help how you had to go through both acts with both Sonic and Tails. It's literally my least favorite part of replaying Adventure.
They were pretty simple, honestly. It was very easy to beat with no real challenge. I mean, it wasn't frustrating to do or anything, so it at least is balanced design. Just not as fun as it could be. It might've worked better if it was less on rails and a bit more like Star Fox, where while it's on rails, you still control your overall movement. Here you could dodge... and shoot. Twas playable, though.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995

Dunno, it looks like it could be fun to me.

If it were remade, though, I'd want to see the enemies in better-defined waves, and with more variety.

Oh, and it's weird going full steam ahead to catch up to this giant flying thing seemingly running away from you at top speed, reversing for a strafing run, and watching it crawl past like it had the courtesy to slow down for you.

I'm not an expert on planes, but I'm pretty sure that's not how they work.

Is that good or bad? Did you just find some candy?
I see she dabbles in hotdogs now
Aurane Aurane praise the Jolly Rancher fairy
Truly.

Taste the rainbow.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I dunno if I should binge Superman the Animated Series or if I should start my Pokemon XD playthrough...

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I dunno if I should binge Superman the Animated Series or if I should start my Pokemon XD playthrough...
Start the playthough with Superman on in the background.

Maximum efficiency.

You'll need two devices of course.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Start the playthough with Superman on in the background.

Maximum efficiency.

You'll need two devices of course.
I can't do that since I'm using Amazon through my Wii U, which is also how I play my GameCube games. Wish my TV had Amazon Prime built in. Or it was on the Switch already

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I can't do that since I'm using Amazon through my Wii U, which is also how I play my GameCube games. Wish my TV had Amazon Prime built in. Or it was on the Switch already
Stream from a phone, perhaps?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I wish Puyo Puyo Tetris wasn't 3 weeks away.

It would be nice if SEGA released an English demo for it, though (don't feel like making a Japanese account just for a demo).

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't care about the reviews, I just want the game already.

I've been waiting for another 3D collectathon platformer for over a decade now, and they're finally coming back with a game from the same blokes who made my all-time favorite game and then Mario at the end of the year.

It's never going to be the Banjo-Threeie we never got, and I wasn't expecting it to be. I just want a platformer.

I only hope it doesn't end with Mario and they make a real comeback.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I really really want the Dark Souls trilogy to come to the Switch. Maybe in 2018 seems likelier.

Also with all the dlc naturally.

Chrono.

http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

So Atlus blocked PS4 Sharing on Persona 5 as a means to avoid spoilers, that's fine. But, apparently, if you decide to stream content by your own means after the in-game date of 7/7, you run the risk of getting a Content ID warning, or worse, a strike or account suspension.

On top of that, there's a ton of restrictions on the content you actually can stream, as seen in the link above.

I don't know, I appreciate their approach to spoilers, but this just feels like a bit extreme.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

So Atlus blocked PS4 Sharing on Persona 5 as a means to avoid spoilers, that's fine. But, apparently, if you decide to stream content by your own means after the in-game date of 7/7, you run the risk of getting a Content ID warning, or worse, a strike or account suspension.

On top of that, there's a ton of restrictions on the content you actually can stream, as seen in the link above.

I don't know, I appreciate their approach to spoilers, but this just feels like a bit extreme.
Maybe they'll unblock it after a month or so.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Im still pretty livid about this tbh

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Celes did well, very well. At least we would have ourselves a Rune Knight with a wonderful personality. You can thank me later @Shishœ).

We are almost done covering the entire party, including optional units too. Your choices are Rem, Shadow, Mog the Moogle, and Strago. Inb4 The Moogle wins because he's so cute and funny. :troll:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

D

Deleted member

Celes did well, very well. At least we would have ourselves a Rune Knight with a wonderful personality. You can thank me later @Shishœ).

We are almost done covering the entire party, including optional units too. Your choices are Rem, Shadow, Mog the Moogle, and Strago. Inb4 The Moogle wins because he's so cute and funny. :troll:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
You mispelled Relm
Anyways, this was a though choice, I love all of them(except Mog, **** him, at least Gau couldn't miss on learning his skills and had an actual character)
Went with Reom because it'd be cool to see what she would bring to Smash with her painting

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As far as Switch games go...I just need more info on Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Arms...

And the hypothetical Metroid title Nintendo is supposedly working on

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To clarify, a game having a serious roadblock sours my experience. I actually enjoy Unleashed to a degree. The day stages were mediocre to me, but still fun. Tails stages were unplayable. Werehog stages felt really fun, and I vastly enjoyed the hub world itself. Non-gameplay-wise, the characters and story are sweet. I just have yet to experience much of it personally due to being stuck on the Tails stages. This is why it soured my experience. Impossible(for me) to overcome roadblocks make it difficult to enjoy the rest of the game. I'm a person who loves to experience a game for themselves, not to just watch cutscenes. That makes the story more enjoyable, because you see it/read it yourself directly.
I feel ya. I'm experiencing that with Fire Emblem: Fates - Conquest, and my Level 1 Critical Run of Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance HD. I've put off playing those games because of some serious roadblocks that don't really seem like my fault at all.

Now that that's settled, have you played the non-HD versions of Unleashed? I still need to do so(I own the Wii version). I'm aware it has more Werehog stuff, but what did you think of it?
Yes, I 100%'d the Wii version and the Xbox 360 versions when they came out. I haven't played the Wii version since, but I still remember much about it.

In general, I think it's the inferior version. It's still a good game, but the world building/side mission aspect is completely gone in favour of hub worlds that are just static screens, and much of the charm the NPCs had is lost because of this. This version of the hub worlds just pads the game out in my opinion. People argue the same about the HD versions hub worlds, but I disagree with that assertion due to the fact the world and NPC characters are so fleshed out, making it feel like Sonic Team put legitimate care, effort, and passion into those sections of the HD version. Here, the hub worlds just sort of get in the way.

The Werehog gameplay is also MUCH worse in the Wii version. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's very mediocre. While the HD version's Werehog gameplay felt like a family friendly God of War clone (while still retaining the same level of general complexity in level design and fighting mechanics), the Wii version Werehog gameplay feels like an average licensed tie-in action game for a kids movie. The level design is generally much more simplistic than the HD version, with some very basic platforming. Sonic also just doesn't feel very fluid, he's incredible stiff, especially when swinging across poles and what not (whereas those kind of actions have actual physics applied to them in the HD version, making them feel more fluid and your options are more dynamic). The combat is also just really simple. You alternate between pressing the L and R shoulder buttons to complete a full combo, and that's pretty much it. You get a couple of new moves over the course of the game, but they don't add much and really just replace your old moves. The levels are generally much more linear here as well. On the plus side, I think the Wii version's Werehog levels do have a little more environmental variety. Even within the same continent, the Werehog levels play around with different environments. For example, in Adabat, there is a level that takes place in the town as you would expect. But the next one would be taking place on small, wild islands in the sea, with giant whirlpools to make your way across. Then the next one could be in the tree tops, and so on. Also yeah, the Werehog levels are split into 3, 4, or 5 mandatory levels (depending on the continent). They're shorter than the HD version's Werehog levels individually, but longer when put together. Overall, I actually quite like the HD version's Werehog levels, and find the Wii version's Werehog levels disappointing by comparison.

The regular Sonic gameplay is still the star of the show here. It's not as fun as the HD version's in my opinion, but they're still quite solid. For the most part, they're the same general idea. The only major difference is how the boost is handled - in the HD version, holding the boost button allowed you to continually consume your Ring Energy in order to boost. In the Wii version, however, the boost gauge is segmented. This means that instead of holding the boost button down to continually boost, you press it once, it depletes one segment of your boost gauge, and then Sonic rockets off for a few seconds before returning to normal speed. This changes the dynamic of how the boost is used - instead of trying to maintain one, continued boost for as long as possible, you are trying to chain multiple boosts together to keep the flow going, using them precisely at the most optimal times. I prefer the HD version's boost mechanic myself, but I still find the Wii version's system fun and engaging in it's own right. You might even prefer it if you found the HD version TOO fast, as the Wii version's level design doesn't expect you to use the boost as much. The level design is also a bit more barren in the Wii version's day stages, but it's not a huge deal breaker and it's normally populated enough to keep things interesting. Other than that, if you liked the day stages in the HD version, you will probably still like them in the Wii version, as it's pretty similar.

Also Sun and Moon Medals are handled completely differently - instead of being found in the world, they are awarded to you based on stage ranking. They are also not needed for mandatory progression. Instead, the unlock optional puzzle rooms in the Gaia Gate hubs (basically just your entrance to the levels, they're like Warp Rooms from a Crash Bandicoot game), which house various hidden items like concept art, music, videos, and even secret missions. These puzzle rooms are actually my favourite aspect of the Wii version, and are wholly absent from the HD version. Within them, you tackle short platforming-puzzle challenges by switching between Sonic's regular form and Werehog form on the fly. They aren't too terribly difficult but they're fun to do and just an interesting implementation of the Werehog form, and do get more complex as they go along. Plus the music is incredibly soothing. Here's a video example of them.

As for the graphics, they're nowhere near the technical spectacle of the HD version. And honestly just average for Wii/PS2 standards (it's on PS2 as well). But they're serviceable and fine enough for the game.

It's been so long since I played Adventure that I forgot all about this.

This really does need to return sometime.
I wouldn't mind Tails getting his own spin-off game centered around a more fleshed out version of these, honestly. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom