• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
WThis is something Johnny brought up in his recent review. He thought Day Stages were a little too harsh, especially the later ones and yeah, I can agree.

Sonic Unleashed should definitely not be one of your first 3D Sonic games.
Yeah, the stage design is the issue, of course. The gameplay does work, but if they toned down the speed a little bit(not much) and made it easier to control, it'd be a lot better. Mind you, it wouldn't fix the Tails stages which are "Press the right button or die" more or less. The Werehog stages simply needed more polish, but they still worked.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Aaaaaand I'm not surprised
YL never looked like it'd be as food as people were hyping it and it never interested me enough.
Yeah, I never thought it looked like much of a tasty delicacy either. Seemed too spicy for my tastes. :\

--------

Nah but really, I'm not too concerned about it. The game still looks fun to me. While the JonTron situation soured me a little bit, I still want to purchase the game.

Frame rate issues could be concerning though. Is that just the PC version with that issue or all versions?

My copy of KH 1.5+2.5 arrived today. Looks like I need to take back my earlier statement about it being potentially non-exclusive, since my copy has the "Only On PlayStation" logo on it.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Yeah, the stage design is the issue, of course. The gameplay does work, but if they toned down the speed a little bit(not much) and made it easier to control, it'd be a lot better. Mind you, it wouldn't fix the Tails stages which are "Press the right button or die" more or less. The Werehog stages simply needed more polish, but they still worked.
I feel like the Werehog should've been more platforming and less beat em up.

The fact he has stretchy arms and is still quite nimble could've made for some fun level design (which they do dabble with at points). It would've been a nice foil to the super fast linear Day stages.
Yeah, I never thought it looked like much a tasty delicacy either. Seemed too spicy for my tastes. :\

--------

Nah but really, I'm not too concerned about it. The game still looks fun to me. While the JonTron situation soured me a little bit, I still want to purchase the game.

Frame rate issues could be concerning though. Is that just the PC version with that issue or all versions?

My copy of KH 1.5+2.5 arrived today. Looks like I need to take back my earlier statement about it being potentially non-exclusive, since my copy has the "Only On PlayStation" logo on it.
There's a patch coming soon for both PS4 and Xbone so it's all of them.

Ash from GX in particular played the XB1 version for his review and the frame stutters a ton (plus being locked to 30fps).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I keep seeing a LOT of complaints about Yooka-Laylee's camera.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
06 was my first Xbox 360 game. I bought my 360 to play it. I regret nothing. Legitimately so. That said, I still criticize the game despite liking it.

I honestly wish I could've enjoyed Unleashed despite paying full price, though. :/ I appreciate that it tried to bring back the older style of gameplay, but the Day Stages weren't well-designed. So that didn't help at all(I enjoy the Werehog more, respectively). The story definitely was better than 06, though. I eventually bought the Wii version of the game. Mostly cause the Tails stages stalled me forever. I couldn't get anywhere on them. While I had trouble with the Mach Speed stages in 06, I almost beat them each time I played. So in that case, it was more "I can still do this, but just not yet", where the Tails stages completely destroyed me and seriously killed my liking of the game. I also couldn't stand the immense speed of the Day Stages. For this reason alone, I recommend not playing the HD versions of Unleashed. There's nothing really wrong with the other gameplay overall, as in while my preference is for a bit slower speed than the Day Stages allowed(something Generations fixed up. Colors is still more than I prefer), the game is still good.
Unleashed is a flawed game, but I think it does a ton of things right that I think people don't give it credit for.

The world building is phenomenal, the NPCS are charming as hell, and it feels like you're on a giant adventure. Not to mention I think it has a wonderful finale.

Generations and Colors are better games, but I think Unleashed beats them in terms of scope.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wouldn't a bad camera just make the game a more accurate portrayal of 90s platformers? :troll:
I mean, I know you're joking, but funnily enough that's also a common complaint.

From what I've seen some reviewers are complaining that it took the 90s platform we formula (the platformula, if you will) without updating or improving upon it, particularly where improvements could have been made. I'm normally wary of Gamespot's reviews, but their review for it was pretty good and the reviewer was credible (they were a big Banjo Kazooie fan).

Just something to consider I suppose.

D

Deleted member

Can't say I'm surprised towards Yooka-Laylee's (currently) mixed reception.

You can't really compare a crowfunded game to a produced-by-a-big-publisher game.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So...Yooka-Laylee's getting mixed reviews, a fair amount being quite negative...

Tbh I can't say I'm surprised...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Unleashed is a flawed game, but I think it does a ton of things right that I think people don't give it credit for.

The world building is phenomenal, the NPCS are charming as hell, and it feels like you're on a giant adventure. Not to mention I think it has a wonderful finale.

Generations and Colors are better games, but I think Unleashed beats them in terms of scope.
That's what I meant by story. Unleashed did a great job there, but the gameplay is where the issues lie.

I prefer lots of other gameplay, but I very much enjoyed the characters. Albeit, I do like 06's characters too, but it does help I can get somewhere in the game to properly enjoy their cutscenes, so...

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
From what I'm reading in these reviews.

If you enjoyed classic Banjo then you should like the game.

If you didn't then you won't.

If it's that simple then I think people won't have to worry too much. Besides the camera, of course.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
There was a problem fetching the tweet

All kidding aside, YL seems like a game stuck in the past. If you like that collect-a-thon style of game, it will be probably for you. Shame it could not break through that particular demographic. Oh well. I hope fans of that genre get something out of it. Maybe next time they'll get it more right, I suppose.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

They arrived. I am pleased. Most pleased.

Also Yooka Laylee definitely looked like a niche game from the start. I feel like it's going to be a case of the critics expecting more from it than Playtonic ever really intended on giving. There's nothing wrong with nostalgia and that's really what this looked like it was trying to deliver.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wow, can't say I've expected these reviews out of Yooka Laylee. It's even better than The Mighty No. 9. And yes, I'll say that Terra was the true winner we alll deserved (@Xeno VII and @Xeno610)

We are going through another good chunk of Final Fantasy VI's main party. Your choices are Setzer, Gau, Cyan, and Celes (@Shishœ). Vote well while I help someone make a revised review for Senran Kagura Deep Crimson.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I really Nintendo patches this Blood Moon glitch...

Its really annoying...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Since I'm the resident Sonic Unleashed guy...

While it is really challenging, that's also a strong point of the game for me personally. Sonic games aren't usually very challenging, but Unleashed is a game that demands you master it's mechanics (which is why I hate that some people accuse it of being boost to win), especially if you want to 100% it. And ESPECIALLY if you intend to take on the DLC stages. Oh lord, those DLC stages are basically an official ROM hack, haha.

That being said it does have challenge come from the wrong places at times. The game was too ahead of it's time graphics-wise, which causes the frame rate to tank in some levels. It's pushing the Xbox 360 and PS3 to their absolute limits. This is an issue as it can cause dropped inputs, especially in day stages. The Werehog also lacks a drop shadow, causing platforming to be more challenging than it needs to be at times, due to lack of perspective.

That's sort of where most of my major mechanical complaints with the game end personally, though.

D

Deleted member

Wow, can't say I've expected these reviews out of Yooka Laylee. It's even better than The Mighty No. 9. And yes, I'll say that Terra was the true winner we alll deserved (@Xeno VII and @Xeno610)

We are going through another good chunk of Final Fantasy VI's main party. Your choices are Setzer, Gau, Cyan, and Celes (@Shishœ). Vote well while I help someone make a revised review for Senran Kagura Deep Crimson.

Poor Cyan gets no votes
Hey, it's not my fault that you are. :p
LIES, YOU LIE, EVILDOER!

Ivander

Smash Legend
I really Nintendo patches this Blood Moon glitch...

Its really annoying...
It happens when you use the Sleep Mode alot while playing the game. Turning off the Switch and turning it back fixes it. I know cause it happened to me once where I was getting Blood Moons repeatedly and when I found the way to fix it, I just did that and it fixed the Blood Moon issue.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
i think you can fix it by turn off and on the swtch. I saw a vid that said that fixes it
Does it actually fix it or is it only a temporary solution? Cuz if its the latter then its not a fix at all...

This is something that can be patched out cuz its a glitch within the game...something's getting messed up with the randomizer...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Does it actually fix it or is it only a temporary solution? Cuz if its the latter then its not a fix at all...

This is something that can be patched out cuz its a glitch within the game...something's getting messed up with the randomizer...
yes it fixes it as Ivander said. Dont put your game in sleep mode while playing all the time and it wont happen and you'll be peachy

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I'm gonna try YL regardless
But goddamn, Jim Sterling gave it a 2/10. Can't help but feel that's too harsh for once. Hope Playtonic can patch it in terms of framerate issues
Didn't he give Mario Kart 7 a 5 for not introducing enough new stuff, then turned around and gave MW3 a 9.5?
Lol Arbys referenced Persona 5 on twitter
Not surprised

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yooka Laylee is all over the place in its reviews.

I honestly don't know what to think.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
yes it fixes it as Ivander said. Dont put your game in sleep mode while playing all the time and it wont happen and you'll be peachy
'Don't put your game into sleep mode all tge time' isn't a solution...

Especially since I do tend to play the game in short bursts fairly often due to being at work a lot...

D

Deleted member

Yooka Laylee is all over the place in its reviews.

I honestly don't know what to think.
From what I've read from reviews, the reason why it's so mixed is that it plays EXACTLY like a 90s 3D platformer. Which means on one hand if you're used to the dated controls and camera of 90s 3D platformer it'll be fine for you, but if not, well, then the controls, movement, and camera seem pretty bad.

I mean, there's more to it then that, but that's one pattern I've noticed by reading reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Since I'm the resident Sonic Unleashed guy...

While it is really challenging, that's also a strong point of the game for me personally. Sonic games aren't usually very challenging, but Unleashed is a game that demands you master it's mechanics (which is why I hate that some people accuse it of being boost to win), especially if you want to 100% it. And ESPECIALLY if you intend to take on the DLC stages. Oh lord, those DLC stages are basically an official ROM hack, haha.

That being said it does have challenge come from the wrong places at times. The game was too ahead of it's time graphics-wise, which causes the frame rate to tank in some levels. It's pushing the Xbox 360 and PS3 to their absolute limits. This is an issue as it can cause dropped inputs, especially in day stages. The Werehog also lacks a drop shadow, causing platforming to be more challenging than it needs to be at times, due to lack of perspective.

That's sort of where most of my major mechanical complaints with the game end personally, though.
Tails stages aren't "challenging" by any means. It's either press the proper button or take damage. It's just a giant reaction-based minigame. The rest is challenging, yes, respectively. Except that mode, where it's just poor gameplay instead.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Tails stages aren't "challenging" by any means. It's either press the proper button or take damage. It's just a giant reaction-based minigame. The rest is challenging, yes, respectively. Except that mode, where it's just poor gameplay instead.
I don't see what that has to do with my post but I agree I guess?

I was always indifferent to the Tails stages, there's only two in the entire game, and Unleashed is a huge game so it's barely a footnote in it to me.

------------

I guess this confirms you need to patch the game to not hear JonTron.

Either that or someone messed up.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
'Don't put your game into sleep mode all tge time' isn't a solution...

Especially since I do tend to play the game in short bursts fairly often due to being at work a lot...
I mean, it obviysly is the solution since that is what fixes the problem. Your probably gonna keep having the problem as long as you put it in sleep mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom