• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Looks like I've gotten a good understanding on what's been going on since the end of Knuckles&KnucklesBoards...&Knuckles.

I know I don't post much nowadays, but I do want to see the active discussions this thread sees everyday. Part of the reason why I keep coming back and checking how things are going. I don't really have much to say on the front of say 'Game Progress reports,' mainly because of Uni work, but hopefully I'll stay close to this thread.

Re: Wrestling - there's only one type of wrestling I truly enjoy - it's Sumo wrestling. Just personal preference, and I don't really understand WWE in the first place.
Aye, I've also got a couple of rants about my Overwatch gameplay recently, it has been a while since I played the game. But man oh man, today is just **** as hell. I got a long losing streak when playing today, even when I play with my brother. And even worse, it's either our team is bad or the other side of the team is just too good. I also found myself never really defend or attack in certain stage (Because other team will all drop out after they won in defense/attack). And did I mention terrible lag and ping?
Maybe it was because frame drop and ping affected my performance,but there were times that I just feel not playing good enough. Frankly to say I am using Soldier 76 for the most time, I pick him since I use him for a while. However I found myself miss shots a lot, use ult in terrible timing easily... and even more ridiculous, got easy flanked...

I never really mind about losing, or even short losing streak, but today is just terrible... especially when most of the lose are really just straight up sweep defeat... like I never won on stop payload in Route 66 today (Played like 5-6 times in this position), really, really weird. And I could be more calm if my brother is good at help people to cool their temper, but sadly he isn't, that's why I am rambling here...:grrr:
Got linked to another one from that. Slightly more painful to watch, but he manages to find some failure points.

And by find, I mean rip, kicking and screaming, out of the console.

He also goes more in-depth about the kind of beating this thing could potentially take. Spoiler alert, it's a lot.

He does note that the screen is fairly soft plastic, though, and a screen protector is basically mandatory to avoid incidental scratches.
Not bragging, but I did help making the Chinese translate subtitle on this video, I didn't really made the subtitles, I just refine the original sub because it was terrible.
What does the "warping" mean? I don't get what's the issue here
By seeing the pic, just imagine your Swtich isn't straight flat when looking on the top.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
@Swampasaur

Any luck on the avatar? I'm looking for Scorpion myself and haven't found much, but you just hit me up with what you want and I'll try to find it.

D

Deleted member

Echoes stuff
Character ages are a hidden stat because there's an alcohol provision only usable by +18 units. Most bosses use the placeholder of 30(including Duma lol)

About 180 skills

Nosferatu, Falchion and Marth's Falchion(not Lucina's) and the Sword of Seals can finish off Duma

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Heeeeeey ChikoLad ChikoLad . You miss me?

I've been away for more than three whole hours, but I've been busy.

And I'd like to have a friendly word with you.

I didn't say the problems were on par with the Xbox 360 (you're talking to someone who went through three Xbox 360 models in the launch window), I just said it's the most problem ridden console since the Xbox 360.
You might well be correct. PS4 and Xbox One have long ironed out their manufacturing process, and frankly I had a hard time finding any data at all on their failure rates. It seems to be hovering under 1% for each console. The 3DS is similarly quiet.

Really I'd like to find some comprehensive data on each regarding this, but all I can find is old info. We'll talk about that in a minute. Anyway, if those failure rates can be assumed to at least be statistically minimal, that's baller as hell. With 1.5 million consoles sold so far, Switch has to keep its failure rate under 15,000 units to match its competition numerically.

Now for the rest, point by point.

I haven't heard of Wii U's, 3DS's, PS3's, PS4's, Vita's, or Xbox One's with:
Wait for it.

-Warping due to cooling issues
Me neither, because most consoles have large areas to disperse the heat and significantly more potent cooling systems. Mobile device design limits either; most of the time the device must be passively cooled as there's just no space for a fan, and teardowns of the Switch show it's no exception.

Despite this, we currently only have two reported cases of warping out of 1.5 million sold. Let's account for unreported problems, though - scale that number up by five orders of magnitude, and you will barely raise over a 1.3% failure rate.

And if you had 20,000 users with warped Switches, you wouldn't have multiple outlets sourcing the same two users on the same Reddit thread.

So maybe this isn't typically an issue and multiple outlets saw some sweet, sweet clickbait opportunity on a slow news day. We'll see as time continues.

In the meantime, how about we have a look at some other types of failure, from last gen? Because I've been sitting on that for several paragraphs now, it's time to have a look.

You'll probably note that this has nothing to do with the Switch. It mostly has to do with the Xbox 360, and how the Red Ring of Death was an internal overheating issue.

Our brave Redditors are getting ahead on the curved screen trend, but they're not actually being impacted by the overheating as of yet.

Certainly not the kind of impact you'd feel if, say, your CPU or GPU started to melt its sauter off the board because you squeezed too many components into a slim box without considering heat dispersion. Because you got mocked for being a big ugly box last generation. And ended up shelling out for RRoD repairs for the next three years like Hell's own alimony.

And forced a lad from Anytown, USA to buy at least two of the doomed things (I presume the third Xbox 360 was an S model, which fixed the engineering flaws, or maybe you sent your third 360 Original Recipe in after they'd discovered tne fix and swapped to less toasty chipsets).

Heavens no. Nothing like that.

-Melting SD cards that could potentially be used with other devices
Ah, you must mean SanDisk's.

I bought one, actually. SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A). The card refused to format or be read in any device I put it in, and overheated both in the Switch and in multiple other devices and adapters (pour one out for my work laptop's USB port, and the brave micro reader that was in it - or don't, I caught it in time and both are fine) within minutes of putting power to it. I already have an open RMA about the issue with Sandisk, and they'll be sending me a replacement out as soon as I can get them the original in.

Personally I suspect the manufacturing tolerances weren't properly calibrated, and they nudged two connections just a wee bit close on the inside of that tiny-ass chip, causing a short. But take that with all the world's salt, because I am not SanDisk.

As far as I know, Samsung hasn't publicly owned up to the matter, but they certainly made my RMA snappy. No questions asked, here's your label. Odd for a ~$70 piece of hardware.

The reason this is getting tied to the Switch is because it was the first device that nearly required a truly, truly massive microSD card, and was highly visible to the public (SLR cameras). Most phones get by on 32 or 64 GB. Sure, SanDisk had a bit of a goof with those back in 2013, but these days all I really hear about are the 128 GB cards and up.

Can't even hate on SanDisk too much - I am a man of many SD cards, and the known-functional 32GB I've thrown in the Switch as a control doesn't seem to be giving me any grief itself. It could be exclusive to high-volume cards, or it could be something like the Switch overheating in the dock, as above. I'll stress test the console by running around in Korok Forest for a bit and get back with you.

Anecdotal? Certainly. I welcome more comprehensive data on the matter.

-Having widespread controller syncing issues (yes, that one was confirmed to be a widespread issue that Nintendo had to patch out of the system)
No, that was a smaller-scale issue related to thin shielding on the antenna for the left joycon. They fixed it with a piece of foam to bolster the shielding. No, really.

Sounds dumb, but having repaired more than my fair share of electronics I thought it was clever. Feel free to ask me what miracles I'd work with hot glue in your laptops at Geek Squad.

-Having what is supposed to be the main selling point of the system cause scratches on the system, basically necessitating the need for yet another accessory in a system that already requires extra purchases
The docking issues do give me pause. In my experience I haven't seen any real damage, but with the teardown information I've seen, and especially after the video I linked earlier this morning, I'm willing to concede it's a major concern going forward. I don't expect it to disappear anytime soon either - even if Ninty decided to upgrade their hardware later on, I doubt they'd swap out the Switch's plastic screen for a mobile-device-grade glass one based on the exorbitant price jump alone.

Now if you consider it a mobile device in any capacity, screen protection should well be mandatory for it. I have never owned a phone, tablet, or handheld that didn't have a screen protector on it, nor has anyone I've known that's given a damn about their device. But modern devices are pretty tough in their own right, and that requirement is lessening a bit. Not a lot, just a bit. Gorilla glass is good at scratch resistance, not impact resistance, and dropping a phone from several feet onto concrete is still hazard enough to keep the phone case cottage industry going strong.

But the nail in the coffin on why I'm saying that perhaps we should suck up the $10 for a screen protector is that we're trading scratch susceptibility for the power to not break on damn near anything.

Regardless, the Switch still shouldn't face environmental hazards from its own first-party accessories. I hope it's addressed going forward.

-Cases of people having hours of save data lost because their system malfunctioning, requiring them to send their system to Nintendo for repairs...only for Nintendo to send the thing back with all of the save data wiped, because the units had to be replaced rather than repaired, and Switch save data is locked to the device and can't be backed up on external memory or cloud storage.
See, they said that early on, but then there was this story that broke.

I'm pretty sure they're covering their ass for something they ultimately want tied to your Nintendo Account rather than a media device. Idiotic as that may yet be - let us put it on an SD card, Ninty, for heaven's sake - it's a solution to the problem you're noting.

..And it's already expensive out of the gate for what's little it's offering (both in terms of launch window releases, and firmware features). While they've certainly had some issues here and there, it's been nothing close to how much the Switch has had so far. The console was clearly rushed, everything from the launch line-up, lack of basic features, and the issues it's having confirms that. To deny that would be delusional at this point.
Sure, it's basically a Zelda box right now. Welcome to the world of early adoption.

Is this a good time to bring up Knack?

There's really never a good time to bring up Knack.
Adorable, though. Look at that pinchable metal face.

Most consoles have ****ty, ****ty, ****ty release day lineups and ****ty, ****ty, ****ty feature sets. They're still figuring things out.

By that metric the Switch is a home ****ing run for BotW alone, even if that's all it has. The last time I can recall launch titles moving anything like this many units, you'd have to go back to the days of the Wii with Wii Sports, or the original Xbox with the original Halo.

But let's elaborate on that. Go down this list and tell me how many PS4 and Xbox One games you see. Afterwards we can discuss how many systems Resogun (PS4, #9) and Killer Instinct (Xbox One, #24) might have moved. Or, even better, what launch titles they missed.

And then we can talk about who won the launch feature game this generation.

Sales numbers are another thing entirely, though. Switch has sold somewhere around 1.5 million units so far, in its first month. PS4 sold one million units at launch, and 4.2 million in roughly its first two months. But considering the demand, I'm willing to bet that owes more to Nintendo's under-manufacturing policy rather than animosity towards the Switch's offerings.

And no, it's not just "people want to hate". I'm getting this news from Nintendo fan sites.
Me too!

We're like some kind of weird-ass internet brothers.

I just can't bring myself to buy a first wave Switch model at this rate (though the lack of games and firmware features, in combination with me still having enough to play on other systems, were enough to convince me it would be bad to buy one at launch...also I couldn't afford it at the time because dentist bills so yeeeah).
Now you see, here's a reasonable set of -

I think I'd be much better off waiting for newer manufacturing waves that have a lower defect rate, so that's what I'm doing personally. And I think I have enough basis for that to be a valid approach.
Aaaaaahhhhhh, and you you blew it. So close, man, so close.

You should call it as you see it here, because these are both excellent concerns and perfectly valid reasons - you can't afford one right now and you have more than enough to do elsewhere. It's not justifying the investment over the investments you've already made.

That's fine. Totally fine. I got a credit card to pay off and a 500-deep Steam library whenever I get fully tired of BotW. And I'm even holding out if some of the offerings I'm seeing are really, really great. The PS4 is looking really, really great right now. Now, when my credit card clears up, I get a little money in the bank, we'll totally talk a PS4, but until then I'm deciding to hold out, even though it's already an excellent option.

And maybe that's also how you feel about the Switch. So even saying, "But it has Breath of the Wild," I can still completely get behind you here.

If you just want more out of your Switch right now than BotW, you're totally right to hold out. Don't sweat it, right call made. We get around the launch dates for MK8D, Splatoon 2, maybe even up through Mario Odyssey, that's a good time to reconsider. Might even see a good bundle deal near the holidays.

And if it's just never your thing until you see your own personal killer app - Smash perhaps - then that's fine too. I didn't touch Wii U until Smash dropped, or even the 3DS until Pokemon X and Y. I know exactly what that's like and that's perfectly fine.

But maybe let's not throw quite so much shade at a handful of random manufacturing defects that mostly find themselves highly publicized due to the Switch's popularity.

At least not without much more objective data.

Might make me start typing again.

InsaneAlchemist

Smash Cadet
Speaking of avatars, I have no idea what's going on with my avatar. I try to use a new Dedede picture, but it didn't show up. I try to switch back to a new one, but it says that a severe error occurred, and it won't let me delete the current avatar. I have no idea what's going on here.

Also I'm back in school, and slowly dying inside as I'm trapped in this place.

EDIT: Managed to delete the avatar. Let's see if I can't get an older one up.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Speaking of avatars, I have no idea what's going on with my avatar. I try to use a new Dedede picture, but it didn't show up. I try to switch back to a new one, but it says that a severe error occurred, and it won't let me delete the current avatar. I have no idea what's going on here.

Also I'm back in school, and slowly dying inside as I'm trapped in this place.
It's just a glitch that occurs with the servers every now and then. It'll probably be fixed by tomorrow.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Huh. So, data mining has revealed a pretty major addition to Echoes story.

MAJOR SPOILERS HERE
There's a new 6th chapter of the game where you visit Archanaea.

SUPER SPOILERS:
And you learn about the creation of Grima and what exactly he is.
I'm partially excited and partially cautious about this.

On the one hand, Grima desperately needed this. He's probably one of the most underdeveloped villains in the franchise and his characterization isn't much better, so him getting another chance to be fleshed out is really good for him since it'll allow him to develop and improve.

On the other hand, I'm still a bit worried for multiple reasons:
1) Based on the timeline, Grima doesn't really come into prominence until 1000 years before Awakening, which IIRC means he shouldn't appear until 1000 years after Marth's games. Putting him here would mean there's another element to his backstory that has to be developed, and adding new elements can easily backfire.
2) Due to the placement of Gaiden, I'm curious how this fits into Marth's story. IIRC, Gaiden took place between the first and third games due to the use of certain characters, so if this Chapter is taking place still around the same time, then that means Marth did something between the two games that didn't originally happen and wasn't documented, which is harder to fit in then if it happened afterwards (which at least has a bit more wiggle room).
2) As forgone of a hope this is (at least for Marth), I don't want Marth or Medeus to have anything to do with this. It's too easy of a copout to have Marth be the hero once again (or at least be a hero) and it doesn't make sense for Medeus to be connected to Grima if they're adhering to the timeline nor should his story be connected to him since he's supposed to still be active later on. Mixing them in runs a risk of neutering Grima's already weak story, and he would benefit to have some of his own characteristics to be developed away from Marth's games and their events and characters.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do this. It has a lot of potential to be good if done well, I'm just hoping they knock it out of the park and make one of their weakest villains into one of their stronger ones.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I know the semester is almost over but I really need to withdraw from the class I'm in.

I'm failing that class (blame the teacher's poor teaching skills) and I don't want to deal with it anymore.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys; I found the mother-load at a local Target; a bunch of Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers and some Joy-Con Charging grips! I've recently been looking for a good controller that can play PC games and I hear the Pro Controller can do that very well as it does support PC play, especially on Steam. If I am mistaken on this, please let me know, but this does seem correct. Plus, the controller itself has been well received outside of a few minor issues that won't really impact me much and does seem to share similarities with an Xbox controller. What do you guys think? Should I go for one as is based off this criteria?

EDIT; Well, I chose to buy it just for the heck of it; there were 6 left in the container after purchase. If necessary, I will return it, but there's a good chance I may not do so.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The real horror of Math. Repeting the steps to a problem only to keep coming up with an answer that is the square root of some large ****ing number and you know thats not right but you dont know what you are doing wrong
I know the semester is almost over but I really need to withdraw from the class I'm in.

I'm failing that class (blame the teacher's poor teaching skills) and I don't want to deal with it anymore.
are you passed the withdraw deadline? Are you willing to pay for withdrawing?

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm also not sure what my next avatar should be.

I want it to be Marvel related though.

My first thought was Scorpion from Spiderman.

So I went to find good Scorpion pics and... they don't exist.

I tried to find other Spiderman villains that looked good but there's nothing aside from Venom who's cool, but I'm not feeling him right now.

Opossum Opossum
Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman

Any recommendations?

Also, check the PM. Lots of new stuff to look at, including more pictures.
Spiderman had a Scorpion? The only Scorpion I know of is well... you know.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Spiderman had a Scorpion? The only Scorpion I know of is well... you know.
Yes. He was a villain created by J. Jonah Jameson to prove Spider-Man was not exactly what he was selling himself as, but ultimately J. Jonah just created another villain and one who had a mean streak against J. Jonah himself for turning him into what he did.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I wish I knew why I managed to watch the first 3 seasons of Samurai Jack back in the day years ago but none of season 4.

At least I'm taking the time to watching it now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm partially excited and partially cautious about this.

On the one hand, Grima desperately needed this. He's probably one of the most underdeveloped villains in the franchise and his characterization isn't much better, so him getting another chance to be fleshed out is really good for him since it'll allow him to develop and improve.

On the other hand, I'm still a bit worried for multiple reasons:
1) Based on the timeline, Grima doesn't really come into prominence until 1000 years before Awakening, which IIRC means he shouldn't appear until 1000 years after Marth's games. Putting him here would mean there's another element to his backstory that has to be developed, and adding new elements can easily backfire.
2) Due to the placement of Gaiden, I'm curious how this fits into Marth's story. IIRC, Gaiden took place between the first and third games due to the use of certain characters, so if this Chapter is taking place still around the same time, then that means Marth did something between the two games that didn't originally happen and wasn't documented, which is harder to fit in then if it happened afterwards (which at least has a bit more wiggle room).
2) As forgone of a hope this is (at least for Marth), I don't want Marth or Medeus to have anything to do with this. It's too easy of a copout to have Marth be the hero once again (or at least be a hero) and it doesn't make sense for Medeus to be connected to Grima if they're adhering to the timeline nor should his story be connected to him since he's supposed to still be active later on. Mixing them in runs a risk of neutering Grima's already weak story, and he would benefit to have some of his own characteristics to be developed away from Marth's games and their events and characters.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do this. It has a lot of potential to be good if done well, I'm just hoping they knock it out of the park and make one of their weakest villains into one of their stronger ones.
1) They could retconnect it. It's not like Echoes isn't doing this to most of Gaiden already.

2)Again, retcon, it doesn't seem like Marth or Medeus are involved in it(I mean it as appearing during said chapter, prerty sure Grima is connected to Medeus in some way) though but it's not like they couldn't use the two considering Alm and Celica will be in Akaneia. Also, iirc, the story takes place in Regna Ferox and while I don't have any ****ing idea where Marth's kingdom is, I'm pretty sure it ain't up north.

3)Medeus and Grima ARE already connected, both are Earth Dragons who didn't go insane

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I wish I knew why I managed to watch the first 3 seasons of Samurai Jack back in the day years ago but none of season 4.

At least I'm taking the time to watching it now.
I'm also going into season 4 rather blind.

I watched most of seasons 1-3 when Cartoon Network was still airing the show, but I don't remember any of season 4, except for the Sam-Moo-Rhai episode.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Me neither, because most consoles have large areas to disperse the heat and significantly more potent cooling systems. Mobile device design limits either; most of the time the device must be passively cooled as there's just no space for a fan, and teardowns of the Switch show it's no exception.

Despite this, we currently only have two reported cases of warping out of 1.5 million sold. Let's account for unreported problems, though - scale that number up by five orders of magnitude, and you will barely raise over a 1.3% failure rate.

And if you had 20,000 users with warped Switches, you wouldn't have multiple outlets sourcing the same two users on the same Reddit thread.

So maybe this isn't typically an issue and multiple outlets saw some sweet, sweet clickbait opportunity on a slow news day. We'll see as time continues.

In the meantime, how about we have a look at some other types of failure, from last gen? Because I've been sitting on that for several paragraphs now, it's time to have a look.

You'll probably note that this has nothing to do with the Switch. It mostly has to do with the Xbox 360, and how the Red Ring of Death was an internal overheating issue.

Our brave Redditors are getting ahead on the curved screen trend, but they're not actually being impacted by the overheating as of yet.

Certainly not the kind of impact you'd feel if, say, your CPU or GPU started to melt its sauter off the board because you squeezed too many components into a slim box without considering heat dispersion. Because you got mocked for being a big ugly box last generation. And ended up shelling out for RRoD repairs for the next three years like Hell's own alimony.

And forced a lad from Anytown, USA to buy at least two of the doomed things (I presume the third Xbox 360 was an S model, which fixed the engineering flaws, or maybe you sent your third 360 Original Recipe in after they'd discovered tne fix and swapped to less toasty chipsets).

Heavens no. Nothing like that.
Those articles might link to the same threads, but there are more places, like this other reddit thread, where people have been reporting the issue as well.

Also you're not gonna get concrete data or numbers just yet, because the issue was brought to light just today. But the good thing about these articles being posted is that it's prompting people to check their own Switch units. And sure enough, while not everyone is finding they have problems with their Switch, some people have (and when enough people do it, someone will likely do a real research project on the issue like you want to see), and at least a few more people will probably continue to report on it either way for another while. Which is enough for me to be concerned about the issue, and would make me hesitant to buy one even if I was loaded, and it launched with Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces, Kingdom Hearts 3, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Fire Emblem Switch, a new Smash game with every character I could want, and the Rosalina adventure game of my dreams.

I'm also not saying it's a typical issue, in fact I think it's a small minority, but that still means there's a chance the unit I would hypothetically buy, could have the issue, and I don't want that (and I still think this particular kind of hardware issue being present at all is unacceptable for the price they are selling it at, especially in Europe). That's why I'd rather wait for the second print runs, since they will likely have some of the Switch's issues ironed out (plus more games will be out by then and I will probably have more free time).

Ah, you must mean SanDisk's.

I bought one, actually. SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A). The card refused to format or be read in any device I put it in, and overheated both in the Switch and in multiple other devices and adapters (pour one out for my work laptop's USB port, and the brave micro reader that was in it - or don't, I caught it in time and both are fine) within minutes of putting power to it. I already have an open RMA about the issue with Sandisk, and they'll be sending me a replacement out as soon as I can get them the original in.

Personally I suspect the manufacturing tolerances weren't properly calibrated, and they nudged two connections just a wee bit close on the inside of that tiny-*** chip, causing a short. But take that with all the world's salt, because I am not SanDisk.

As far as I know, Samsung hasn't publicly owned up to the matter, but they certainly made my RMA snappy. No questions asked, here's your label. Odd for a ~$70 piece of hardware.

The reason this is getting tied to the Switch is because it was the first device that nearly required a truly, truly massive microSD card, and was highly visible to the public (SLR cameras). Most phones get by on 32 or 64 GB. Sure, SanDisk had a bit of a goof with those back in 2013, but these days all I really hear about are the 128 GB cards and up.

Can't even hate on SanDisk too much - I am a man of many SD cards, and the known-functional 32GB I've thrown in the Switch as a control doesn't seem to be giving me any grief itself. It could be exclusive to high-volume cards, or it could be something like the Switch overheating in the dock, as above. I'll stress test the console by running around in Korok Forest for a bit and get back with you.

Anecdotal? Certainly. I welcome more comprehensive data on the matter.
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen already corrected me on this, and I checked, and yes, the issue was with the SD Cards, not the Switch. That was my mistake. I just hadn't heard anything on the issue since the initial reports so I assumed it was a rare issue related to the Switch that hadn't met a proper resolution yet. I'm actually happy to find out it's not an issue with the Switch.

No, that was a smaller-scale issue related to thin shielding on the antenna for the left joycon. They fixed it with a piece of foam to bolster the shielding. No, really.

Sounds dumb, but having repaired more than my fair share of electronics I thought it was clever. Feel free to ask me what miracles I'd work with hot glue in your laptops at Geek Squad.
OK then, fair enough (though for the record, I was already under the impression this particular issue was resolved anyway, I just misunderstood the nature of the issue and it's resolution. Either way, happy to see it addressed).

The docking issues do give me pause. In my experience I haven't seen any real damage, but with the teardown information I've seen, and especially after the video I linked earlier this morning, I'm willing to concede it's a major concern going forward. I don't expect it to disappear anytime soon either - even if Ninty decided to upgrade their hardware later on, I doubt they'd swap out the Switch's plastic screen for a mobile-device-grade glass one based on the exorbitant price jump alone.

Now if you consider it a mobile device in any capacity, screen protection should well be mandatory for it. I have never owned a phone, tablet, or handheld that didn't have a screen protector on it, nor has anyone I've known that's given a damn about their device. But modern devices are pretty tough in their own right, and that requirement is lessening a bit. Not a lot, just a bit. Gorilla glass is good at scratch resistance, not impact resistance, and dropping a phone from several feet onto concrete is still hazard enough to keep the phone case cottage industry going strong.

But the nail in the coffin on why I'm saying that perhaps we should suck up the $10 for a screen protector is that we're trading scratch susceptibility for the power to not break on damn near anything.

Regardless, the Switch still shouldn't face environmental hazards from its own first-party accessories. I hope it's addressed going forward.
Personally, I have no problem buying a screen protector for the Switch, and would do it even if the Switch didn't have this issue (and will get one with my Switch whenever I do get one, because I will get one when I feel the time is right for me), merely on the principle that it's a relatively large device (compared to a 3DS or a mobile phone) that I would probably take with me and it could be damaged if an accident happened (and it's not fold-able like the 3DS to help keep it safe when not in use). However, it's still not right that the major advertised feature and selling point of the system (docking and undocking on the fly), is causing scratches on the screen, especially when people don't seem to be doing anything particularly odd while docking and undocking. Buying a Switch now would be saying I'm OK with this issue and accepting of it, but I really am not. I don't see how that's unreasonable.

See, they said that early on, but then there was this story that broke.

I'm pretty sure they're covering their *** for something they ultimately want tied to your Nintendo Account rather than a media device. Idiotic as that may yet be - let us put it on an SD card, Ninty, for heaven's sake - it's a solution to the problem you're noting.
Honestly, in this case, I'm going to flat out say - there really isn't a defense for it. This is 2017, and this is a €330 digital entertainment device. It SHOULD have some form of save data back up at launch. You should be able to keep your save data if something happens to your Switch. You can't even use the "oh, Nintendo is always a little slow with these things" excuse (which I feel is insufficient anyway) for this one. This isn't a new age thing, even back as far as the PS1, or even the GameCube, before SD cards and cloud storage, video game consoles had their own kind of memory cards. If you needed to send your system off for repairs or a replacement, you could just hold onto your memory card. You could buy a spare for pretty cheap and back up your data onto that as well, in case anything ever happened to the main one. When it came to handhelds, the save data was usually on the game cartridge, so as long as you kept those safe it would be fine too.

But the Switch has nothing for save data back up...incredibly ironic, since it's not just a home console, it's something you can play anywhere, meaning it's MORE likely to be damaged, so that they INTENTIONALLY locked save files to the hardware is baffling.

Please don't try to defend this. You may see it as arrogant, but this is one issue nobody can convince me otherwise on. I don't even care that they announced it at launch. That just serves as evidence that they intentionally rushed the system out the gate, if you ask me, and further proves how tone deaf Nintendo can be. I hope they provide a fix for this as soon as possible.

Most consoles have ****ty, ****ty, ****ty release day lineups and ****ty, ****ty, ****ty feature sets. They're still figuring things out.

By that metric the Switch is a home ****ing run for BotW alone, even if that's all it has. The last time I can recall launch titles moving anything like this many units, you'd have to go back to the days of the Wii with Wii Sports, or the original Xbox with the original Halo.
I'm well aware most consoles don't have inspiring launches.

That doesn't absolve Nintendo of criticism, though. Much like how I was critical of the PS4's launch when it happened. I will never "go easy" on a console launch just because they aren't often great. That attitude is why poor and rushed console launches still happen, and it's why Nintendo did it with the Switch - Nintendo faithful were always gonna buy it, and the system's main hook, on a surface level, is enough to hype people. So who cares about the quality of the system at that point, right?

And any impact Breath of the Wild could have had as an "omg it totally justifies the purchase on it's own" kind of game was completely mitigated by the fact it's on Wii U, for me. I only bought the Switch version because of a discount, and didn't go for the Wii U version because I heard bad things about the Wii U version that ultimately weren't true (I can only assume some Switch fanboys were trying to get more people to buy a Switch or something).

And beyond that, ever since I agreed to help my brother buy an Xbox 360 because I knew Sonic '06 was coming to it, I've made it a point for me to never buy any console for one game. You may feel differently, and that's fine, but don't try to convince me that Breath of the Wild alone can justify a Switch purchase for me. I know it won't, no matter how good the game may be (and I'm sure it's amazing).

But maybe let's not throw quite so much shade at a handful of random manufacturing defects that mostly find themselves highly publicized due to the Switch's popularity.
...What shade?

They're issues. They objectively exist. They may not effect the majority of units (the save data one is universal though, and is probably my biggest issue turning me off the system anyway), but they have effected some.

That alone makes them a valid factor in my decision to purchase one or not. How is that "throwing shade"?

This kind of thing is why I don't often talk about these kinds of things anymore, and only hang around this site when I have positive things to talk about regarding Nintendo (right now, that's Fire Emblem) - these days, everyone assumes that being critical of Nintendo means you must have it out for them or something. It's gotten to a point where I often post this image of my room to prove I'm not some Nintendo hater when discussing them (I've likely put more money into Nintendo products during the entire Wii U generation than most of Nintendo's white knights of that generation, lol). By far, Nintendo easily has the most fanatical fanbase out of the big hardware fanbases (not the most mean spirited, but definitely the most fanatical).

Problem with that is - Nintendo doesn't have feelings. They aren't a living organism. They are a company. They may have some amazing games in their catalog, they may have some beloved characters, and they may have some inspirational and respectable individuals working at the company, both past and present - but "Nintendo" is a company. A brand name. A corporation that doesn't care about what you think, or what I think. I can't hurt Nintendo by criticising them.

But you know what? It DOES care about what the collective masses think. And if the collective masses aren't paying for their products and content, then they will re-evaluate what they are doing and fix the problems people are having so they will buy the products. So in that sense, my criticisms can only help Nintendo, or just do nothing at all. There's no negative consequence for them. Which is why I advocate speaking up even about smaller issues. If enough people do it, they will listen. Both Nintendo and other companies have proven this time and time again.

By all means, call me out when I criticise a game you love, criticise me when I express dissatisfaction with the handling of your favourite character, and call me out when I say Miyamoto has too much power at Nintendo because he's your idol that you've looked up to your whole entire life - but don't try to tell me that my concerns regarding a piece of hardware being sold by a corporation, are "throwing shade" or being emotionally insensitive. "Nintendo" isn't gonna cry in a corner over anything I say, so why would I attempt to get an emotional response out of them?

Also, just to clarify - whenever I say "I'm not happy with the Switch", or "the Switch has x problem that should be fixed", I'm not saying "don't buy a Switch". I'm being critical of it's objective flaws, as well as having a few personal issues of my own, that effect when I think it's good for me to purchase, and it also describes how I feel it will do on a larger scale right now. I've never intended to tell someone a system or game is something they "aren't allowed" to buy. I don't think less of anyone who bought a Switch at launch, and hope those people are enjoying it.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Yes. He was a villain created by J. Jonah Jameson to prove Spider-Man was not exactly what he was selling himself as, but ultimately J. Jonah just created another villain and one who had a mean streak against J. Jonah himself for turning him into what he did.
That's interesting, I guess.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Some people calling Nintendo support about the Switch warping issue are getting responses on what might be causing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._stop_making_blanket_generalizations/dfrxr54/

For what it's worth, I'm also experiencing the bent Switch issue (Which Nintendo is currently looking into.) And I'd never even have known to check for it if someone hadn't posted it here. And for those of you who'd say "If you didn't notice and it wasn't bothering you, why is it an issue?", the support rep I spoke to stated it may be a symptom of a much bigger problem, like a bad battery, and they'd like to investigate now before it gets worse.

For those who are curious, after discussing the issue with Nintendo support we determined my Switch probably isn't sleeping properly - It's always been in the dock since I got it, and it's always hot, even after being in sleep mode for hours. It MAY have something to do with that issue other's have reported and I've experienced with the Switch periodically sending an HDMI signal to the TV while asleep. It caused my LG TV to repeatedly display a notification for a newly plugged in source. That's just speculation though - The Switch is now in Nintendo's hands and HOPEFULLY I'll know more when I get it back, but I probably won't, and that's OK so long as it's fixed and helps prevent the problem for others in the future if it is a potentially "widespread" software or manufacturing issue.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I hope some are happy to say that the best boy Bartz won. Though it was kind of expected given the random name drop from Sakurai when talking Final Fantasy reps. Though we al know how that ended.

Now this is the second set of FF V characters, featuring some antagonists and a certain reoccurring species. Your choices are Krile, Gilgamesh, Exdeath, and Moogle. And I dare someone to crack any jokes about a certain Void.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Today is pretty rough.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I hope some are happy to say that the best boy Bartz won. Though it was kind of expected given the random name drop from Sakurai when talking Final Fantasy reps. Though we al know how that ended.

Now this is the second set of FF V characters, featuring some antagonists and a certain reoccurring species. Your choices are Krile, Gilgamesh, Exdeath, and Moogle. And I dare someone to crack any jokes about a certain Void.

Today is pretty rough.
It's alright, no one will joke about The Void.

But The Void jokes will come to you. :troll:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
...Why did GoNintendo release an article that a Brazzers Super Mario Bros. film exists?

Porn parodies/Rule 34 is old news (unless something crazy happens like Nintendo buying the rights to Super Hornio Brothers I & II)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
...Why did GoNintendo release an article cover that a Brazzers Super Mario Bros. film exists?

Porn parodies/Rule 34 is old news (unless something crazy happens like Nintendo buying the rights to Super Hornio Brothers I & II)
Same reason Anime News Network made a Kamen Rider article that was a load of croc and when then tried to correct it, made it worse
Because people are idiots and need SOMETHING for a scoop

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
So, skill stuff
https://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia/miscellaneous/skills/
At the "-HP" thing, I'm assuming that's the HP cost to use them like Magic in this game, because if so, holy ****, this is a big change from Gaiden and also something that I'm happy doesn't rely on RNG anymore like every other game that uses them.
Even more skills!
https://pastebin.com/bHRjaaa4

Basically every attribute in the game is treated as a skill, a bit like how Radiant Dawn had skills that classed units as the protagonist, promoted classes, bosses, and so on. My favourites are the "skills" that do stuff like ban characters from appearing in the class roll.

I wish this stuff hadn't been leaked, though, personally. Apparently it was gotten from someone who managed to crack the encryption on the Japanese eShop preload. And if Nintendo think that preloaded games can be cracked now, that may make them less likely to offer preloads in future (or at least, not so early before the actual release date). I hope that doesn't happen, but still, I'm not happy about it overall.

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman

Today is pretty rough.
Rough? Exdeath all the way! He'd have a really unique fighting style for Smash!

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Aaah, one of the few things I like about the abomination.
Now we just need Lyn and Hector amiibo in the future for the glorious FE7 battle theme and a Leif amiibo for the best Attack theme in the franchise
I just want Eliwood, Eirika, Sigurd and Ephraim to get amiibo for some cool remixes in FE Switch or FE Warriors.

Anyway, SoV's music sounds great.

Arcanir Arcanir : They'd still have to make a game or go into detail on
...how the First Exalt sealed Grima. I strongly doubt Marth would be that person. In SoV, he has yet to fight Medeus again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I've been wondering, if Nuibaba is now female, could that possibly mean she's a Witch now instead of a Sorcerer?
Who needs summoning when you can warp next to the player's Lord
Rough? Exdeath all the way!
Smashboards quotes taken out of context
I'm so sorry

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, I've been wondering, if Nuibaba is now female, could that possibly mean she's a Witch now instead of a Sorcerer?
Who needs summoning when you can warp next to the player's Lord

Smashboards quotes taken out of context
I'm so sorry
She was always female, but they used gender neutral pronouns and fan translations decided "Welp, Imma give that a ****"

D

Deleted member

She was always female, but they used gender neutral pronouns and fan translations decided "Welp, Imma give that a ****"
>Always female
>Gender neutral pronouns

Still, I checked the wiki and yup, she's a Witch

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just realised the SBG channel is nearly at 100,000 subscribers. I hope they reach it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom