• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That seems an awfully remissive approach to dealing with some pretty inflammatory statements.

Forgive and forget? I'm not saying people should necessarily be taking random, cheap shots at JonTron for the sake of a punchline (I'm not sure if that's what happening - I'm not well informed with the JonTron situation, because I've never cared about him, so I usually try to stay out of the conv), as that does little more than degrades the other side, but turning the other cheek is not the answer when someone goes off with a uproar of rhetoric you disagree with. Should you disagree with it.

People who want to speak out against perspectives they disagree with, let alone abhor, really have every reason and every right to do so. Just like JonTron had every right to say what he said. But, it would almost seem negligent to have JonTron say what he said and then everybody carry on as if nothing was amiss or different.

And this would remain the same if he went off on some far left-leaning tirade. Though the reaction, obviously, would be different.

People should be able to say whatever they want to say, but not with impunity. If we forgive and forget, there are no consequences to saying potentially awful, hateful, discriminatory stuff. And there should be. They shouldn't be violence, or imprisonment, but if people are galvanized into retorting, I don't see why that shouldn't equally be heard. Discourse is what moves us forward; inertia doesn't cultivate critical thought.

So should you forgive and forget or should you remain cognizant and act accordingly?
I agree, but this is not simply a matter of being cognizant.

It is the cheap shots and they are constant.

Regardless, perhaps "forgive and forget" is bad phrasing on my part. Perhaps "let it go" would be better.

It's gone on for long enough. Nothing positive is coming out of it anymore.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
HOW was he punished then? Because he got the lost sub count back
The way I see it, he lost his subs, but they forgave him and came back. Punishment doesn't always linger.

But honestly, we're beating a dead horse here. So...

Let's talk more about Knuckles & Knuckles. :4villager:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The Yooka-Laylee rap is pretty bad, but still very enjoyable, like the DK Rap.

Sure it probably could have been more original, but whatever.

Also I've listened to it like 30 times and there's no sign of me stopping.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If we 're moving on... I got a topic.

What kind of girl/guy do you like? Specifically physical parts.

I say physical because I feel we would all say similar non physical things.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

***** on Mondays, Boobs on Wednesdays.

Why are you asking this?
Okay, I did not mean whatever you think I meant.

I meant like, do you prefer blondes or stuff like that.
Oh...

Well. Black haired guys and girls are up there.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The way he handled Yooka Laylee was amazing, but spouting out stuff like that can't be ignored over "Oh, I was flustered". He KNEW who he was debating with and "didn't fully prepare and got flustered". He also claimed it was taken out of context, right? How does one take "Oppression doesn't exist", "Wealthy blacks commit more crimes than poor whites, look it up" and more out of context? It also fits with his record in ****ty behaviour.

See above

HOW was he punished then? Because he got the lost sub count back

Imagine if this wasn't Jontron but Hugh Jackman. Would the reactions be the same?
I'm not saying it completely absolves him of all fault or even that I agree with everything he says (though if I'm being perfectly honest, I am more in agreement with his main points than I'm not, particularly those in his statement video), but if you actually listen to the debate (admittedly I haven't listened to the whole thing myself, but I've listened to parts that people go on about like the ones you mentioned), then yes, much of what he said was taken out of context and misconstrued, and much of what he said was because Destiny intentionally put him into tricky positions where pretty much anything JonTron said could be offensive to somebody. Part of why JonTron has been misconstrued was because Destiny himself directly spread propaganda about JonTron after the debate was over.

And to be fair, I don't think JonTron REALLY knew who Destiny was. Not many people did before his debate with JonTron. Most of these YouTuber debates are done with very little research done on the opposing person, because that's considered proper etiquette in a debate (if you research your opponent too much then you can form pre-conceived notions on the person that cloud your judgement - argue with the points, not the person, I guess would be a good way of putting it). Nobody could guess how much of a nutcase he is (and I'm not just talking about how he is in debates here - do some research and JonTron looks like a saint in comparison to him. Frankly I'm surprised he hasn't done time in jail yet).

Also - "Wealthy blacks commit more crimes than poor whites, look it up" wasn't racist of him to say. While it isn't known what article or study JonTron was referring to specifically when he said that, Destiny brought an article up in response to him that stated "more wealthy black people go to prison than poor white people". If we assume this was the same study JonTron was referring to (which isn't even certain to this day IIRC, but it's quite close to what he said), then he still wasn't racist for saying that - it's simply a case of him slightly misinterpreting the wording of the article, particularly the title. It's VERY close to what he said, but the slightly different wording means it has a different meaning than Jon might have taken from it (the article simply states the fact that more rich black people get CONVICTED and put in jail than poor white people, but that doesn't necessarily mean those convictions were just on either end - it's a neutral statement that doesn't go into the specifics of the convictions). It's a very easy mistake to make, and he was wrong here - but not in a moral sense, just a factual sense. A misinterpretation like that certainly doesn't speak well for his debating skills, but it's definitely not racist.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree, but this is not simply a matter of being cognizant.

It is the cheap shots and they are constant.

Regardless, perhaps "forgive and forget" is bad phrasing on my part. Perhaps "let it go" would be better.

It's gone on for long enough. Nothing positive is coming out of it anymore.
I wouldn't say "let it go" is substantially preferable to "forgive and forget". Both imply a sense of dismissive acceptance, whereas I'd say the best course is just to try and be mature about it. If they conversation persists, which I believe it should as long as people still have valid things to contribute, it should remain elevated above piling on an "acceptable" target for the sake of getting in barbs because they're easy.

But if people want to want to make jokes, as long as they can pair that with actual relevant dialogue regarding the topic... I don't find that particularly grievous. There is a lot of tenable commentary being provided through the lens of humour these days. Making jokes doesn't preclude being incisive, but if it's little more than playground harassment I agree nothing is being contributed and there's no reason for it to continue.

Not being intimately familiar with the situation in any great depth... I would think there are examples of both. But I wouldn't know for sure.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

I like the knuckles, specially if they have spikes. :gova:

Ivander

Smash Legend
https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_Fates#Revelation

I couldn't have explained the plot of Revelation better myself.
I can't help but feel rather sad. It really shows how the characters and stories are different beasts. You look at the Supports and the characters and they range across from mediocre to good to some really great ones and you do get a feel for the characters.
You look at the story and.....well, yeah.

It's also really sad when you have better options for the story and they just go with a random thing just for the heck of it.
-Like for starting Revelation's story, you could've had Corrin or another character emphasize how Corrin has been through much and how he lost Gunter and his mother in short time and now he possibly might lose his two families next and it prompts Xander and Ryoma to fight not because they are forced to, but to try and be there for their siblings who has been through alot.

-And when Corrin stops the fighting, rather than have Xander and Ryoma go through a disgusting high-and-mighty rant about Corrin fighting their people and declaring them a traitor, you have Corrin at least show that while they don't want to fight his families, they don't want the siblings to be fighting each other. Xander and Ryoma than declare that as long as Corrin isn't with them, they are considered a traitor and they do this on the intention of trying to force Corrin to choose a side. This would show that Xander and Ryoma do care about their sibling and want to help them, but they can't help Corrin if they won't be with them. This would put more meaning into Azura's words of "You have to choose a side or you will lose everything."

-And for the last bits, rather than suddenly be cursed after entering Valla, after they get to Valla, Azura tries to tell them Valla's origin and Anankos and quickly as possibly tries to get Corrin and their servant out. They meet Gunter on the way and are later stopped by the assassin who killed Corrin's mother and the assassin outright curses Corrin, Gunter and the servant with Corrin just as they cursed Azura. The assassin then merely laughs and gives them a "How will you be able to tell anybody without wasting away yourself?" speech while Azura laments her chance to try and stop the others from being cursed like she was.
This would at least show that Anankos is trying to keep tabs on being secret and unknown in the war and at least shows him making an effort to keep himself secret rather than just keeping magic juices floating around the entire continent that effortlessly curses people upon entering. It would also give more acceptence for Azura compared to her just saying that "Sorry, you're cursed now and can't tell anyone." Because at least it would show that she was cursed directly to not tell anyone and it would be easier to feel her hurting for not being to tell anybody for being cursed.

-Before they enter Valla, have Corrin, Azura and the servant with them do a map that involves the appearance of Silas, the other servant and Kaze. The other servant joins at the beginning, but basically, the map ends with Azura convincing Corrin, Felicia, Jakob, Silas and Kaze to go down the chasm that enters into Valla. And then the next bit happens involving being cursed.
For the first reason, it's so Corrin starts with the characters who join on both sides besides Shura and Mozu. The other reason for this would be to give more people to help make a more reasonable chance at convincing Hoshido and Nohr to fight together. It's hard for them to believe Corrin, even if he did save Kaze's life, when he says there's another enemy without it being story-forced to accept it.
But if Kaze, a Hoshidan known by the higher ups to be trustworthy, said there was another enemy, at least that seems more likely for Sakura and Yukimura to give Corrin a chance. Heck, because it's Kaze, Saizo could at least express doubt at calling his brother a liar. It's easy to see why he wouldn't believe Corrin and could call Corrin's words a "likely story", but if Kaze said there was a more dangerous enemy, Saizo's trust in him would give him some hesitance at calling Kaze a liar. He wouldn't join at that moment still, but he wouldn't express immediate disbelief thanks to his brother.
Nohr is still a problem, but last time I checked, the Nohr focus on Revelations didn't have Corrin trying to convince there was a bigger enemy except for Leo and Xander. But at least with Silas, Felicia, Jakob and Gunter around, it does make it harder to express doubt if you have 5 people from Nohr confirming there is another enemy.
-And than last but not least, if they wanted Garon to confirm Valla's existence and have him spout out about destroying Hoshido and Nohr, do it on a Map where Corrin faces Garon. And that map allows Corrin and all 8 siblings to fight against Garon together after he confirms wanting to destroy both Hoshido and Nohr. At least Xander and Leo joining after Garon boasting at Corrin about wanting to destroy Hoshido and Nohr seems more satisfying compared to having a moment of dumb and just randomly stating about wanting to destroy both.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Despite the fact a lot of my favourite characters are blondes, I actually prefer dark haired girls...

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

I prefer brunettes and red heads, but I don't mind blondes.

Glasses are also really cute on girls.

I could say more, but I think this is about all I can say without getting infracted.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

I can't say I have any direct preference when it comes to stuff like colored hair, long or short hair, eye color, clothes, etc. I guess such doesn't matter to me compared to say, personality or whatnot.
The closest physical preference would probably be one-piece swimsuits. I seem to find them more attractive compared to 2-pieces. But then again, that's probably from me being on a swim team at a young age and just being used to seeing one-pieces more often. Although my "more is less" and "less is more" views tend to be rather mixed depending on subject and at the moment, my attraction view on swimsuits seems to be "more is less".

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Heh.

Physical parts.

And now my mind is in immature humor mode.

*votes to change to something less private*
Heh.

Privates.

Well. You could of been a little less brief on what exactly you meant.
Heh.

Briefs.

...alright, seriously now.

I have a soft spot for redheads. Also faces that are, I guess one would say, subjectively cute? There's no formal criteria, I just know it when I see it.

Oh, and nice butts.

That's also actually a minimally-purile not-at-all-kidding thing. I like the booty.

All the important items on my attraction checklist remain personality traits, but the above are bonuses.

Glasses are also really cute on girls.
I knew I was forgetting something.

Glasses also a plus.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The Pokemon Fan Game Community really outdid themselves this year:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I consider myself more or less demi-sexual, but from an aesthetic standpoint, I tend to favour really light, gentle shades of blonde (go figure :rosalina:). Especially when it's soft and lightly curled in some way. I don't know why but I find it very comforting, especially in motion.

I also kinda like slightly unkempt, straight hair too. I also like scarlet/crimson hair. When it comes to dyed hair, very light pink hair, or blue hair, is pretty appealing to me.

Emotional connection is what makes me fall for a lady though, ultimately.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm nearly done with Super Metroid. I just have to beat Ridley and Mother Brain and I'm done. Then my backlog is complete too.

D

Deleted member

Brown or blonde hair
I like blond hair more in girls and brown on guys but I'm really picky with blond hair, I like the more dark shade for guys and neither-too-saturated-nor-too-light one for girls

Also, butts

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I may have mentioned this before in a similar discussion but as strange as it sounds I do have a thing for shoulders...

As a result I tend to favour halter-tops and strapless tubetops on women...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom