• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
That's like one of my favourite things to do in the game...

Do you have any idea how fun it is picking off their legs one by one until they are nothing more than glorified Beamos? They also get seriously ****ed up by Shock weapons as well!!!!

I almost feel like that mean kid that plucks the legs off of a spider and watch it squirm after...
Forget the legs, try shooting all three propellers off of one of the flying ones with bomb arrows.

Especially next to a certain spot where they proceed to fall/slide aaaaaaaall the way down a cliff like that.

Now THAT's comedy.

Oh, and flying ones have better chances of dropping the best loot, too.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Not as easy to screw up as having THREE different timelines. :p

(Or time travel, but awakening's story faults didn't come from the time travel.)
Honestly Awakening handled time travel somewhat decently. Even if it's not as well done of a time travel story as Back to the Future, the Terminator duology or the Trunks Saga

D

Deleted member

Honestly Awakening handled time travel somewhat decently. Even if it's not as well done of a time travel story as Back to the Future, the Terminator duology or the Trunks Saga
Well, the thing is that the timetravel isn't overcomplicated in awakening, it's kept pretty straight forward.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I decided to revisit Sonic and the Secret Rings today.

Remind me to never do that again.
If you really want to revisit the storybook games.

Revisit Black Knight.

We can let Secret Rings fade away...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Or talking about the best Robin, other than Tim Drake.
Personally, I grew up with Tim Drake thanks to The New Adventures of Batman on Kids' WB!, so...Tim's the best, ya'll. No contest.

Jason Todd?
What was wrong with Jason as Robin again? I heard he wasn't that good as one...

Watching that video, I forget Tickle U remotely exists.

No matter why it failed.
I actually enjoyed Tickle U when it was on. Certainly wasn't the worst thing I could see on CN compared to recent years.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not as easy to screw up as having THREE different timelines. :p
Are we talking Fates or Awakening? Cause really, it is much easier to have 3 different timelines. Just because Fates didn't do a good job doesn't mean it's easier to mess up. Funny enough, another game called "Fate", specifically, Fate/Stay Night, actually did a decent job with 3 separate timelines, with 2 of them being highly regarded last time I checked
If they screwed it up it'd still be better than Conquest at the very least
Conquest's first half was decent, even with Garon. So I have to disagree. And trust me, if you think they screwed up Conquest that much, imagine how much screwed the game with a "Hero turns to villain" story can potentially be.

We always claim that something can't get any worse. But time and time again, we are proven wrong. We shouldn't be tempting our lady mistress Fate any chance we get, cause anytime, she's more than willing to retaliate twice as hard.

Last edited:

Chrono.

So I just learned you can kill the random wild animals in this game because of course you can (also to get meat).

But I also just killed a Squirrel and all I got was an acorn... I-I don't think that's how it works.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I decided to revisit Sonic and the Secret Rings today.

Remind me to never do that again.
Hey AreJay.

Never do that again.

That'll be two large Heath bars, please, and thank you for using Red's Reminder Services.

So I just learned you can kill the random wild animals in this game because of course you can (also to get meat).

But I also just killed a Squirrel and all I got was an acorn... I-I don't think that's how it works.
It could be if that's what it just ate.

And if you're very, very fast about it.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Is it natural(or not so natural) for me not to be so willing at killing the wild animals? The only ones I've been willing to kill were boars and any bears I end up aggroing to try and get a piece of Gourmet Raw Meat for a quest. Otherwise, even with aggroed wolves, I've never liked hurting the wild animals.

Edit: But than again, I think I'm more than willing to eat only just fruit, especially Durians and Radishes considering how effective they are.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Is it natural(or not so natural) for me not to be so willing at killing the wild animals? The only ones I've been willing to kill were boars and any bears I end up aggroing to try and get a piece of Gourmet Raw Meat for a quest. Otherwise, even with aggroed wolves, I've never liked hurting the wild animals.

Edit: But than again, I think I'm more than willing to eat only just fruit, especially Durians and Radishes considering how effective they are.
I don't really feel great about it either but sometimes I'll be low on health and need the meat.

That being said, I only killed the squirrel to see if I could. :p

D

Deleted member

Are we talking Fates or Awakening? Cause really, it is much easier to have 3 different timelines. Just because Fates didn't do a good job doesn't mean it's easier to mess up. Funny enough, another game called "Fate", specifically, Fate/Stay Night, actually did a decent job with 3 separate timelines, with 2 of them being highly regarded last time I checked
It actually is pretty hard to pull off when you're trying to do an angle when you're making three different paths with different consequences? I mean, it's not impossible by any means, but it's harder than hero gone villain. Then again, Fates didn't really even try... Especially since the third route makes the other two decisions nullified.

Still, I guess it is subjective on what is harder to do, but I'd say that making three different timelines and having them be coherent with one another is harder than hero gone villain because that's bigger to the plot as a whole.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

At the beginning I was pretty ruthless...but that's mainly because I was gathering everything I could...

Though I can't bring myself to kill the foxes, they are just too precious...I had no problem with Wolves because they can get really annoying, and killing one scares the others off anyway...

Still weird you get nuts for hunting squirrels and smaller birds though...

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Ive killed wolves and ate the meat rightin front if the wolves circling around me before they ran off. No time to be a vegitatrian in a video game, Im in the wild

I kill the foxes too. and the birds. but I cant ****ing catch squirrels
tldr; I make Link eat any meat I can get

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I kill the foxes too.
You monster.

I only kill boars and things that attack me. Even then I haven't killed much wildlife because fruit and veg is easier to get and many give bonuses when cooked.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
You monster.

I only kill boars and things that attack me. Even then I haven't killed much wildlife because fruit and veg is easier to get and many give bonuses when cooked.
Ay, when you live in a land where giant metal death machines could kill you at any second, just radishes arent gonna help. I cant remeber what I made but it was some meat dish that gave me 10 temp hearts.. or maybe it was a fish dish

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ay, when you live in a land where giant metal death machines could kill you at any second, just radishes arent gonna help. I cant remeber what I made but it was some meat dish that gave me 10 temp hearts.. or maybe it was a fish dish
Radishes, big hearty radishes, durians, truffles and big hearty truffles are pretty much all I use. I basically have a stack of dishes that fully heal and give upwards of 8 temporary hearts (highest one I have is 14).
All other food just takes up inventory space for me really. I mean, I cook stuff to conserve my max health boosting items but when the best ones still only heal a fraction of my health I only end up using the fruit and mushroom stuff.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
You monster.

I've murdered just about everything once to see if I could.

Foxes, bears, fish, deer, wolves, emus, pigeons, Yiga...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Are the Yiga tribe basically Kremlings?
They do have a banana hoard in their hideout.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Radishes, big hearty radishes, durians, truffles and big hearty truffles are pretty much all I use. I basically have a stack of dishes that fully heal and give upwards of 8 temporary hearts (highest one I have is 14).
All other food just takes up inventory space for me really. I mean, I cook stuff to conserve my max health boosting items but when the best ones still only heal a fraction of my health I only end up using the fruit and mushroom stuff.
i cook meat in everything. Gives me just as many boosts as stand alone radish, I need to find a list of recipies

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
i cook meat in everything. Gives me just as many boosts as stand alone radish, I need to find a list of recipies
Maybe cooking just isn't for me. I basically just dump 5 of the one thing in the pot because I find that's more than enough.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
you kinda have to add stuff to it rather then just 5 of one thing to get the max use of stuff
I know but why bother looking for other ingredients or risk wasting them on inferior dishes when dumping 5 radishes or durians is enough to never worry about dying.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It actually is pretty hard to pull off when you're trying to do an angle when you're making three different paths with different consequences? I mean, it's not impossible by any means, but it's harder than hero gone villain. Then again, Fates didn't really even try... Especially since the third route makes the other two decisions nullified.

Still, I guess it is subjective on what is harder to do, but I'd say that making three different timelines and having them be coherent with one another is harder than hero gone villain because that's bigger to the plot as a whole.
The main problem with doing a Hero-gone-villain route is that a vast majority of the time, the hero's reasoning for the downfall is weak and/or non-sensible. And for the times when it is neither, very often there are times in which the character's downfall has inconsistency or is out of character. If such happens, this can greatly ruin the power behind the character's downfall into villainy.

The thing is, compared to character's development into heroism, which is accepting of a couple mistakes, the same cannot be said for a hero's downfall. If anything is inconsistent with the hero's reasoning for downfall, or how the downfall happens, or the events that lead up into the downfall, the power behind that downfall is lost and the character's tragedy is often mocked for said reason, whether it'd be for possibly being able to have stopped whatever from happening or being seen as child-ish/stupid/etc for said reason/etc.

Conquest's problem comes from the fact that it was meant to be a way of fixing Nohr from the inside and the game before Chapter 15 was consistent on that. Once Chapter 15 ended, it gave a goal that was very inconsistent with not just the rest of the game, but the main character as well. It's why Conquest's Corrin is often in a negative light compared to Birthright's Corrin, as Birthright's Corrin is consistent throughout the story whereas Conquest's Corrin is accepting of a goal inconsistent with his/her character and the goal of the story because the writers demand a fight with Hoshido.
Conquest could've been consistent had they actually used other potential assets for why Hoshido is ultimately fought against and not use the goal they chose to use. But it doesn't help that they tried to keep so much stuff hidden from the player for them to learn about said stuff in Revelations and had to give a forced reason why Corrin needed to fight Hoshido.

As for Revelations, nothing was consistent from the get-go. And I'd argue that Corrin was more consistent to his/her character compared to both Revelation's plot and their character in the second half of Conquest.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I've murdered just about everything once to see if I could.

Foxes, bears, fish, deer, wolves, emus, pigeons, Yiga...
At this point I've taken to practically becoming a hunter for profit, killing everything I can find in the most efficient location possible for profit.

I feel too awful about hitting wild horses to try to do it deliberately since I already heard they don't drop anything and they make these sad pained noises, though. Not that foxes and wolves don't make sad noises, but I ain't feeling sorry for the wolves one bit after reading their Compendium entries, getting stalked and bit by them, and considering they set off the encounter music. Wolfos with meat, that's what they are.

Oddly I get the feeling people feel less bad about killing the Yiga than the animals.

Huh, wonder why. Maybe it has something to do with their organization having the sole mission statement of killing you? Nah, that can't be it.

View attachment 127200 Speaking of Death machines

to bad you cant eat the Yiga.
At least you can steal the bananas they drop and eat them in front of their bretheren.

Slowly. While savoring it.

. . .For terrible recovery stats.

Not gonna lie the first time I ran into one of these I was a little spooked.

At the time I didn't pay attention to the NPC's name just being "traveler."
I already knew about the Yiga being travelers by the time I started playing.

Now, something else about the Yiga definitely managed to spook me the first time. . .

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
to bad you cant eat the Yiga.
You can still eat their Mighty Bananas.

...wait.

Not gonna lie the first time I ran into one of these I was a little spooked.

At the time I didn't pay attention to the NPC's name just being "traveler."
Bit surprised the first time myself, but I'm always up for a good fight.

Eventually it got a little old working through their dialogue though. We really need some sassier replies.

They've now dropped the traveller schtick and are coming after me directly, which would be great - except they're now sending sending Chunko the Barbarian and his Sword of Hits You From Across Hyrule. Getting PTSD flashbacks from my time in their lair. Restarted that nonsense a billion times due to their one-shot bull****.

I know but why bother looking for other ingredients or risk wasting them on inferior dishes when dumping 5 radishes or durians is enough to never worry about dying.
After you get about or above 15 hearts I think it's best to just use one hearty thing in a dish by itself.

Boatloads of instant full-health snacks.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

...wait.

Eventually it got a little old working through their dialogue though. We really need some sassier replies.

They've now dropped the traveller schtick and are coming after me directly, which would be great - except they're now sending sending Chunko the Barbarian and his Sword of Hits You From Across Hyrule. Getting PTSD flashbacks from my time in their lair. Restarted that nonsense a billion times due to their one-shot bull****.

After you get about or above 15 hearts I think it's best to just use one hearty thing in a dish by itself.

Yeah it is. You don't really need extra hearts so it's better to get lots of stuff that fully replenishes your HP.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a question for Breath of the Wild peeps.

What did you think of the overall story and characters?

Some people are saying they're a bit weaker than other Zeldas due to the nonlinear design of the game.

What do you think?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Some people are saying they're a bit weaker than other Zeldas due to the nonlinear design of the game.

What do you think?
Story I kinda felt was about the same. Save the world from Ganon, just with the added twist of taking place 100 years after an initial failure.
Where I think BotW exceeds over other games for story is the characters. I felt characters had more personality given to them than past incarnations. What stood out to me the most was the champions. The setting of the game and what happened to them actually made me feel kinda sad. For once I actually felt like Link was my connection to the game, so I could feel more empathetic than sympathetic.
I can understand that, since you can basically experience none of the character development, story can potentially be non-existent. Though I think when comparing stories and characters, you need to compare the whole thing.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

...wait.

About that. . .

The old way of Travelers putting up a facade is still there as well, they just have better equipment and yell at you about their master.

What do you think?
I only have Phantom Hourglass, half of Spirit Tracks, and the opening animation of Four Swords to compare it to, so. . .LOL.

I'd say compared to those it's much, MUCH stronger but has a subtlety to it that assumes you're smart enough to guess the relationships of characters from the way they act and thorough enough to look for the breadcrumbs. Once the puzzle is put together, it's not the most complex story, but it has emotion and heart to it.

When worded a certain way the story clicks as a kind of fairy tale in the making, simple but meaningful. Fitting enough for a game called The Legend of Zelda, especially with the setting and the way the plots of past games and situations are often relayed.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I started BotW as someone who really didn't want to kill any of the animals but needed the meat for health to someone who ran down anything that would cross my path on my horse and laugh about it, not bothering to go back to even pick up the meat. :demon:

I still didn't kill foxes though, foxes are the best. :3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom