• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Sorry I'm late with the title change guys.

Anyway, can we appreciate how awesome it is that Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Forces, and Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy are all coming out this year? :')
Not to mention two of those games are able to be played on the go.

That's what's most exciting to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As much as I like Adventure 1, it's dated as ****, and I don't simply mean the camera and controls.

I was watching the guys from Extra Credit play, and watching someone else's first time with the game makes me realize just how flawed it was. Just from the Hub Worlds not being all that clear about what you need to do and where you need to go, to how the game sorta just throws things at you and you're just expected to know what to do with it.

Like, really, how are you supposed to know that to get the light dash ability, you need to drop down into a manhole? I get that it wants you to explore, but there's really nothing hinting what you should be looking for.
I think how it works is even worse. Having to charge it all up just to activate? Annoying as hell. Adventure 2 fixed that quite well.

And yeah, the exploration does feel like they could've done it better. Tikal isn't the best way to do a hint system in this case. Of course, Adventure 2 goes the opposite way by making everything fairly easy to get bar the Air Necklace and Mystic Melodies due to how story driven the items are. Heck, Big has some random upgrades you cannot get without a moon jump code.

I don't mind exploration, but necessary upgrades compared to useful extras should be made a bit more clear without just a hint system alone via Tikal.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Gotta go fast is the name of the game

I know we are all hyped for sonic and that is ok

https://smashboards.com/forums/general-speculation.579/

But eh smash specualtion forum is now open for support threads!
I already claimed Viridi, will your favorite character have a thread soon? Find out, or make your own if it doesn't exist already!
:061:
Decided to open up a fresh new support thread there. I don't know wether we will be getting a port or a brand new game but well, better start up getting a few supporters together early eitherway.

@Erureido Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo and anyone else who is a Layton fan here, I've started up a new support thread for Hershel. Guess it's like old times, huh?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You're free to do what you want, but I don't think you should let critics or the public influence your opinion like that. You should try the games out for their actual merits, not because of what people thoughtlessly say about them in passing.
I'm sure you mean well, but the most recent time I played a Sonic game was November 2014 when I tried out Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric, and I'm sure we all know that was a disaster.

After that, I vowed to myself "Never Again."

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm sure you mean well, but the most recent time I played a Sonic game was November 2014 when I tried out Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric, and I'm sure we all know that was a disaster.

If you enjoyed Sonic before, I don't see how one game should taint it forever.

Bandana Dee3

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0379-7875-6874

Dude if you keep up that attitude with all games your not going to enjoy them especially if you let one game ruin the whole experience for you.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Heck, Big has some random upgrades you cannot get without a moon jump code.
The upgrade you're talking about is the one present in the area Tails obtains the Jet Anklet, this upgrade is a copy of the one located in the sewer nearby, and collecting either one will cause the other to disappear. It's a development oversight.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sonic Forces had me seriously intrigued. Looks like they're going back to Generations for this one. However the '3rd' playstyle has me skeptical. I don't what to take from that but I'm assuming it's going to be the Adventure Style gameplay. Which is fine if they lean more towards Adventure 2 and not Adventure 1. Looking forward to this one, first one in a long time. Mania delay bums me out a bit though.

Good to see ya again, ChikoLad ChikoLad ! Been missing you.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Rise of Lyric is not a "Sonic" game, it's a "Sonic Boom" game, an entirely unique genre from the regular set of platformers. It's its own universe. It's like watching a parody of Power Rangers(Emo Rangers) and writing off regular Power Rangers due to it. They got zip to do with each other. The Sonic series is a platformer with some games having extra playstyles.

The upgrade you're talking about is the one present present in the area Tails obtains the Jet Anklet, This upgrade is a copy of the one located in the sewer nearby, and collecting either one will cause the other to disappear. It's a development oversight.
Ah, didn't know about that. Makes sense. The upgrade system was programmed oddly. I've played Adventure 2 using a character replacement code and had everybody go through their clones' levels. The upgrades were essentially the same, bar a few unique ones. It made some fights harder at best. But to be fair, Eggman VS Tails and Shadow VS Sonic(first time) is the only point where the upgrades can matter. The Bounce Attack easily finishes off the opposing Hedgehog reliably, and the extra armor makes the Mech User very difficult to beat compared to normal.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It wasn't just that Sonic Boom was a real embarrassment, it's also the fact that my interest in the franchise itself was already deteriorating, and obviously the fanbase.
  • Why is Sonic Boom an embarrassment for you? It's just a bad game.
  • Fair enough.
  • You're in the Smash fanbase and a brony. I'm not sure why the Sonic fanbase is the one that went too far. (I think the Smash fanbase is worst)

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I got an egg from the daycare, which hatched into an Eevee. I replaced it with a Rockruff.

AK Snow Crab now has Hidden Power Fighting. Ori isWithMe has Hidden Power Rock.

Yun Yang evolved.

I attempted Lana's trial, but lost pretty hard. Ori won't learn any Electric moves, and it's the only Electric- or Grass-type on my team right now. Nobody can really do anything to Wishiwashi, and Valley Girl and Half Health get one-shotted with Water Gun.

Yun Yang (Level 22)
Get Pecked (Level 22)

AK Snow Crab (Level 21)
Ori isWithMe (Level 20)
Valley Girl (Level 21)
Half Health (Level 17)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I might comment on the high res gameplay tomorrow. There's something I noticed that could be huge, but I want to wait until higher quality footage is out before I say anything because it's too hard to tell right now.

Other than that, back to isolation.

Oh, and Paddy's Day, since that's tomorrow.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I might comment on the high res gameplay tomorrow. There's something I noticed that could be huge, but I want to wait until higher quality footage is out before I say anything because it's too hard to tell right now.
Can you at least PM me the theory?

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
  • Why is Sonic Boom an embarrassment for you? It's just a bad game.
  • Fair enough.
  • You're in the Smash fanbase and a brony. I'm not sure why the Sonic fanbase is the one that went too far. (I think the Smash fanbase is worst)
Speaking as a Zelda fan, Zelda fans are the worst

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
After thinking about it, I thought up of what this "third component" could possibly be.

What if this gameplay style allows you to switch between Modern and Classic on the fly?

If there's an obstacle Classic can't pass, you switch to Modern and vice versa.

Sort of like in Super Paper Mario.

Could provide an interesting challenge, keeping up your speed while simultaneously switching between two gameplay styles.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Sonic Forces and Mario Odyssey both coming out for the holidays.

It's like Sega vs. Nintendo again but only 5000x better.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I got an egg from the daycare, which hatched into an Eevee. I replaced it with a Rockruff.

AK Snow Crab now has Hidden Power Fighting. Ori isWithMe has Hidden Power Rock.

Yun Yang evolved.

I attempted Lana's trial, but lost pretty hard. Ori won't learn any Electric moves, and it's the only Electric- or Grass-type on my team right now. Nobody can really do anything to Wishiwashi, and Valley Girl and Half Health get one-shotted with Water Gun.

Yun Yang (Level 22)
Get Pecked (Level 22)

AK Snow Crab (Level 21)
Ori isWithMe (Level 20)
Valley Girl (Level 21)
Half Health (Level 17)
Yeah, Oricorio doesn't get any Electric (or anything other of it's changeable types, for that matter) STAB outside of Revelation Dance. At this point you're going to need to go back and catch something else like a Petilil to stand much of a chance.

:094:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't know if it's just luck or something, but....
Ever since I got all of the Photo memories
All of the regular Hinox I've been fighting have been holding some pretty powerful weapons. I can understand the Silver enemies that have appeared ever since, not so much why all the weak Hinox I've been fighting have Royal weapons all of the sudden.
Edit: I think I also have to agree that ever since that moment as well, the Blood Moon has really been coming up more often. And the sad thing is that it's been happening alot just shortly before or just as I beat a Lynel, making me miss getting the stuff from them or having to do the fight all over again. :glare:

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That sonic and dragonforce mashup made me remember how dragonforce was the main song sequence in Scooby Doo Zombie island lol.

As for Sonic forces itself, it looks good! I wonder how many characters are in it and what they'll do. Should be pretty good. The main theme is also really good.

And the title for the thread is hilarious.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Finally decided to venture into the Hyrule Castle dungeon. Defeated Stalnox and got my shiny Hylian Shield. Also completed Tarrey Town so I can get a Hylian shield when this one eventually breaks.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I started my corn beef and cabbage! It's gonna be done in time for St Patrick's day

But for tonight

Pizza~

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So in my usual style of waiting years before seeing films most others have already seen due to being busy or forgetting, I finally watched The Lego Movie.

And everything is awesome.

Like holy hell, that was a good movie. Not afraid to admit I shed a few tears toward the end. Now I want to build a spaceship.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I think how it works is even worse. Having to charge it all up just to activate? Annoying as hell. Adventure 2 fixed that quite well.

And yeah, the exploration does feel like they could've done it better. Tikal isn't the best way to do a hint system in this case. Of course, Adventure 2 goes the opposite way by making everything fairly easy to get bar the Air Necklace and Mystic Melodies due to how story driven the items are. Heck, Big has some random upgrades you cannot get without a moon jump code.

I don't mind exploration, but necessary upgrades compared to useful extras should be made a bit more clear without just a hint system alone via Tikal.
The exploration is just extremely flawed. As I said, there's nothing really to guide you. Modern open world games have waypoints for a reason. I know a lot of people hate them because they sorta linearize something that should be open, but the whole point is that it provides necessary information to progress. Even games that don't have a waypoint feature had some way to inform the player what they needed to do next. Perhaps it was a cutscene, or a journal entry, it's something the player can look at when they're lost and figure out what to do.

Mario 64 is a great example of this, even if there was no waypoints, you knew you were going in the right direction because every mission is titled accordingly.

Sonic Adventure? More like, Sonic Stumbles Around.

Sonic Adventure 2 has it's own fair share of issues. It's streamlined, removing a lot of the fat, but now you're left with extremely linear levels. Not that Adventure was the most free form Sonic game ever, but none of Sonic/Shadow's levels even come close to the openness of Speed Highway. You could maybe argue Final Rush, but that's just a bottomless pit with rails and platforms every now and then. Even Treasure Hunting stages were designed to be linear with how the radar tracked emerald pieces.

Adventure 1 is too "open" and Adventure 2 is too linear. If only Sonic 06 wasn't garbage. It sorta addresses both of their issues, but in the sloppiest way possible. Kingdom Valley is one of the most open 3D Sonic stages ever made and it's all downplayed by how horrid everything else is.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So in my usual style of waiting years before seeing films most others have already seen due to being busy or forgetting, I finally watched The Lego Movie.

And everything is awesome.

Like holy hell, that was a good movie. Not afraid to admit I shed a few tears toward the end. Now I want to build a spaceship.
The LEGO Movie is a very great movie.

It's a 90 minute advertisement, but that didn't stop it from having a whole lot of heart. Same with LEGO Batman.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

It's a 90 minute advertisement, but that didn't stop it from having a whole lot of heart. Same with LEGO Batman.
That's what I love. It would have been very easy to just make a generic movie and slap Lego onto it and commence with the cash-grabbing, but so much heart was put into it that it's able to stand completely on its own.

Definitely gonna watch The Lego Batman Movie now, too. Knowing me it'll probably be in 2020 considering how long I waited here...I'll try not to let that happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The exploration is just extremely flawed. As I said, there's nothing really to guide you. Modern open world games have waypoints for a reason. I know a lot of people hate them because they sorta linearize something that should be open, but the whole point is that it provides necessary information to progress. Even games that don't have a waypoint feature had some way to inform the player what they needed to do next. Perhaps it was a cutscene, or a journal entry, it's something the player can look at when they're lost and figure out what to do.

Mario 64 is a great example of this, even if there was no waypoints, you knew you were going in the right direction because every mission is titled accordingly.

Sonic Adventure? More like, Sonic Stumbles Around.

Sonic Adventure 2 has it's own fair share of issues. It's streamlined, removing a lot of the fat, but now you're left with extremely linear levels. Not that Adventure was the most free form Sonic game ever, but none of Sonic/Shadow's levels even come close to the openness of Speed Highway. You could maybe argue Final Rush, but that's just a bottomless pit with rails and platforms every now and then. Even Treasure Hunting stages were designed to be linear with how the radar tracked emerald pieces.

Adventure 1 is too "open" and Adventure 2 is too linear. If only Sonic 06 wasn't garbage. It sorta addresses both of their issues, but in the sloppiest way possible. Kingdom Valley is one of the most open 3D Sonic stages ever made and it's all downplayed by how horrid everything else is.
Yeah, that's the odd part. Sonic 06 does this right, but also forgets to have been playtested. Firing the playtesters, oy...

At least it has kickass music and some good dialogue at times. Story does suck due to how confusing it is(and Elise is an awful character. Silver is at least tolerable since he actually does stuff other than getting kidnapped and being in love with a non-animal creature). I should make a note that Sonic does not feel the same way towards Elise, so that was more played as a "crush on my hero" angle than a full out love interest. Sonic likes Amy officially, just refuses to show it most of the time.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been really bad at math lately. Giving terrible tips on accident

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Sonic Forces and Mario Odyssey both coming out for the holidays.

It's like Sega vs. Nintendo again but only 5000x better.
I'm 1000% sure that Sonic Forces will be worse than Mario Odyssey.

In a lot of ways, its "don't follow the instructions" thing is a very pointed critique of the direction the LEGO company is currently taking (licensed sets). Phil Lord and Christopher Miller had a lot of balls to make this movie with executives breathing down their necks, but somehow nobody noticed. (Also there's this crazy postmodern stuff. Man this movie is nuts)

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Yeah, that's the odd part. Sonic 06 does this right, but also forgets to have been playtested. Firing the playtesters, oy...

At least it has kickass music and some good dialogue at times. Story does suck due to how confusing it is(and Elise is an awful character. Silver is at least tolerable since he actually does stuff other than getting kidnapped and being in love with a non-animal creature). I should make a note that Sonic does not feel the same way towards Elise, so that was more played as a "crush on my hero" angle than a full out love interest. Sonic likes Amy officially, just refuses to show it most of the time.
Is that official? It only seems canon in Sonic X (and maybe the comics? I don't read, nor plan to read them).

Sonic 06 is a great example of how bad things can go if a team goes through too many changes in a short amount of time.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why can't you people be like me and want both hype inducing games?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is that official? It only seems canon in Sonic X (and maybe the comics? I don't read, nor plan to read them).

Sonic 06 is a great example of how bad things can go if a team goes through too many changes in a short amount of time.
Yeah, it's official. This is why Sonic promises to go on a date with Amy during the events of 06, which is not something erased during Unleashed's story. His overall reason to avoid dating is due to dangers that happens very often, something that isn't really inconsistent in any work. He's always never shown to hate Amy or anything, but also needs to do stuff other than marry her(which she's way too young for anyway), like save the world. He can't drop everything for a date or marriage, due to being a hero and having a villain to fight. He cares deeply about her, something definitely canon. This is also why he protects her quite a lot. It's not just hero syndrome either. But to be fair, when you're the fastest guy around and can save somebody, why wouldn't you do it if you feel it's the right thing to do? It fits him well. At least, his game personality where he's not a jerkass at times(like in pretty much all the cartoons. He's ironically a more proper hero in the only anime, Sonic X, and respectively the OVA).

What's interesting is this simply fact is applied even among the Boom universe, although they play that more for laughs and treat it as some kind of secret for a lot of the actual episodes. I don't know if it's fully revealed just yet in Season 2, but it wasn't made clear during any of Season 1. Can't say if it was specifically among the Boom games, though.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Why can't you people be like me and want both hype inducing games?
Or if not that, then at least be like me and decide that even if you end up deciding you only want one when the time comes that doesn't mean the other one is worse?

I do wonder why everything's a contest. Games are games. It's like having cookie dough ice cream as your favorite and deciding that means you have to insult mint chip at every opportunity, or in extreme cases the people who even like mint chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom