• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Here's a question.

How do you feel about emulation and ROMs?

Think they're fine? Bad? Does it depend?
I don't mind it and it has been a blessing for me honestly, to be able to play and use stuff rather than not at all.
Living in a place where you can get a pirated version of anything at a flea market, while original versions cost more than the price in USA or Europe, yeah, you can get an idea why no one buys original here.
General rule of thumb, if I can't get it at a reasonable price, I'll just pirate it. This doesn't apply just for games, but any software.

Steam does a fine job of making games accessible and affordable, which makes me want to pay for them.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's one of those things that HEAVILY depends on the writer.

Most of those I hear in relation to Brian Michael Bendis, namely about ruining the Guardians, Carol Danvers, etc. His issue is that he keeps taking jobs outside his area of expertise. He works best with focusing on one character in a more realistic, street level setting. Bonus points if the character is inherently snarky. Like, his Daredevil run, his magnum opus Alias, and his Miles Morales Spider-Man stuff is highly regarded. His Iron Man run is anywhere from meh to good depending on who is asked. Then there's Civil War II and his Guardians of the Galaxy, which...yeah. He can't write groups and often doesn't care for established continuity for the more fantastic characters. He's good at what he's good at, and sucks outside his comfort zone, basically.

For the political thing, I mainly hear that in relation to Captain America, be it Sam or Steve. I don't think that's an issue as Captain America has always been political. It's just nowadays politics is more openly Us vs Them so it draws more...intense reactions from people. People don't realize that back in 1941, having Captain America punch out Hitler on the cover of his first issue was an incredibly controversial political statement. Like, there were death threats sent to all involved.

As for heroes being shamed, I'm assuming you mean the Cyclops thing, which stems from...a very hard to explain in-universe thing. #CyclopsWasRight and all that jazz. :p
They aren't my opinions.

I just heard those complaints and was curious.

What are the Cap and Cyclops things?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I seem to be using Pokebank as a place to put pokemon I don't want to get rid of, but are cluttering up my in game boxes.

I probably should be putting my "Living Dex" in there instead of in game. It has more room

D

Deleted member

Gah, Effie. I meant Effie.

Effie needs the extra mobility.
Well, you still get a pair of Boots from Chapter 23 and another from Another Gift from Anna so you just killed a man for your moving wall to move sloghtly faster

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They aren't my opinions.

I just heard those complaints and was curious.

What are the Cap and Cyclops things?
Oh I know they weren't your opinions, I was just explaining anyway. :p Wasn't directed at you.

Some people feel Nick Spencer's Cap runs are "leftist propaganda" based on how the two runs handle things like extremism, immigration, social issues and the like. Yeah, Spencer's a pretty left wing guy, but like I said, Cap's always had a political air. It's just now a vocal group is complaining since that's the thing to do these days. :p

The Cyclops thing comes from the whole X-Men v Inhumans debacle. In a meta sense, many X-Men fans claim Marvel is trying out push out the X-Men due to film rights concerns and force the Inhumans into their niche. In-universe...
There's the fact that Cyclops died due to exposure to Terrigen mist and Emma Frost made him a rallying point behind the pro-mutant movement. Now in universe everyone thinks Cyclops is literally Hitler for what he did to the Inhumans, despite that it was just Emma projecting his image into people's heads.

Bare in mind I didn't read XvI, so I don't know a lot of details. That's the gist of it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh I know they weren't your opinions, I was just explaining anyway. :p Wasn't directed at you.

Some people feel Nick Spencer's Cap runs are "leftist propaganda" based on how the two runs handle things like extremism, immigration, social issues and the like. Yeah, Spencer's a pretty left wing guy, but like I said, Cap's always had a political air. It's just now a vocal group is complaining since that's the thing to do these days. :p

The Cyclops thing comes from the whole X-Men v Inhumans debocal. In a meta sense, many X-Men fans claim Marvel is trying out push out the X-Men due to film rights concerns and force the Inhumans into their niche. In-universe...
There's the fact that Cyclops died due to exposure to Terrigen mist and Emma Frost made him a rallying point behind the pro-mutant movement. Now in universe everyone thinks Cyclops is literally Hitler for what he did to the Inhumans, despite that it was just Emma projecting his image into people's heads.

Bare in mind I didn't read XvI, so I don't know a lot of details. That's the gist of it.
That Cyclops bit just confuses me.

I've also heard complaints about Captain Marvel and She-Hulk.

Any idea about those?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I keep reading things about how Marvel is ruining their comics.

To the Marvel readers, do these things ring true?

• Heroes becoming mean and unrelatable
  • Perfectly good heroes being shamed for something
  • Political extremism
  • Changing established character's personalities and arcs for little to no reason
  • Attempting to reinvent characters that don't need to be reinvented
These are the things I keep hearing.
  • Depends on who they're talking about. the heroes are still relatable, but If they're talking about Bendis' and his depiction of Captain Marvel in Civil War II (as a specific example), then they're probably not wrong.

• Honestly, I can't recall anything of the sort other than #CyclopsWasRight or #NotMyCap.

• Half the time it's people ******** about out of context comic book images on twitter or something. Nick Spencer bodies people who do this on twitter all the time and It's great :p But really, comic books can still be extremely focused on the political stuff, but still be good; case in point Sam Wilson: Captain America. As far as I'm aware (since I read this mostly on reviews of the book on /r/Marvel and Spencer's twitter) the Americops, and a character called Rage are a big part of that book and people often criticize Spencer on how he writes and conveys his thoughts on certain politcal subjects, especially in relation to the former two *cough cough muh extreme leftist propaganda*.

• Considering Eddie Brock is going to get the Venom symbiote back despite hating it, I could see why. Though, it's just a matter of experimenting with characters. Iirc, Stan Lee once talked about having the illusion of change in comics, and I guess that's what they're trying to do when changing and reinventing characters. I think Marvel wants to change characters without having to have what works become stale... biggest point of this is Steve Rogers becoming an agent of Hydra. Yes, there may have been no reason, so the change so the change was jarring but it has lead to what is considered by many to be the greatest Captain America run 'in the history of comics' as one put it.

• Brian Michael Bendis is doing this in Infamous Iron Man (where Dr. Doom becomes a good guy and takes up the mantle of Iron Man) and it is amazing.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't like all the drama, deaths, and relationships

I prefer more of the camp, and lesser drama of just the hero trying to live their everyday life but trying to keep their identity secret

I don't really like when they make the heroes so serious

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That Cyclops bit just confuses me.

I've also heard complaints about Captain Marvel and She-Hulk.

Any idea about those?
Captain Marvel can just be attributed to Bendis demolishing her character in Civil War II and leaving her writers to try to salvage what's left. Kinda similar to what Tony Stark went through for a while after the first Civil War basically made him a totalitarian dictator. :p She'll get better...hopefully sooner rather than later.

I'm in the dark as far as She-Hulk. Haven't been keeping up there.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, for She-Hulk I know she used to be like Deadpool and break the 4th wall

I don't think they do that with the character anymore though...?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Still an agent of Hydra, though it's all coming to a head in the event 'Secret Empire'.

He talks more about this to Tony Stark in his comatose state in Civil War II: The Oath and it's absolutely amazing.
Explain.

Because I just can't see Cap as an agent of Hydra being a good thing in any circumstance.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Explain.

Because I just can't see Cap as an agent of Hydra being a good thing in any circumstance.
In-universe, it's not good. In fact, it's really bad for the entire world, but the concept of making THE moral compass of the Superhero community a villain is awesome and Spencer writes a really good villainous Captain America.

Basically Captain America lost his serum and became old, Sam Wilson takes over as Captain America.

After a while, in Avengers Standoff, a sentient cosmic cube going by the name Kobik makes Captain America young again, but also ends up altering his history so he was an agent of Hydra, because of the Red Skull's influence on Kobik herself.

TL;DR, Steve basically engineers almost the entirety of Civil War II to favour him, so the Superhero community is at their weakest by time Secret Empire comes around and unintentionally ends up making himself the most powerful man in the world as the director of S.H.I.E.L.D, as legislation was passed that basically everything (including the military) goes through them.

Another TL;DR: Captain America will make everything Tony Stark has worked for all worthless in the end, where everything and everyone he loves will become ashes and dust, and the world becomes led under Hydra leadership; so that, even if Miles Morales ends up killing him (as seen in the vision in Civil War II) he will have had succeeded in his plans in brining ruin to America and the world.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Yeah!! just like. . .

**** wait. no go back
:061:
Meh, I prefer the OG Manakete over this Loli Dragon.

At least her fans like Elise just as much.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In-universe, it's not good. In fact, it's really bad for the entire world, but the concept of making THE moral compass of the Superhero community a villain is awesome and Spencer writes a really good villainous Captain America.

Basically Captain America lost his serum and became old, Sam Wilson takes over as Captain America.

After a while, in Avengers Standoff, a sentient cosmic cube going by the name Kobik makes Captain America young again, but also ends up altering his history so he was an agent of Hydra, because of the Red Skull's influence on Kobik herself.

TL;DR, Steve basically engineers almost the entirety of Civil War II to favour him, so the Superhero community is at their weakest by time Secret Empire comes around and unintentionally ends up making himself the most powerful man in the world as the director of S.H.I.E.L.D, as legislation was passed that everything basically goes through them.

Another TL;DR: Captain America will make everything Tony Stark has worked for all worthless in the end, where everything and everyone he loves will become ashes and dust, and the world becomes led under Hydra leadership; so that, even if Miles Morales ends up killing him (as seen in the vision in Civil War II) he will have had succeeded in his plans in brining ruin to America and the world.
That doesn't seem very good to me...

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Unless some sort of interesting Smash related news comes along in the coming weeks/months, this will be my last Smash related question:

When do you guys believe we will receive any sort of news on a new game/port, specifically if you had to pick or rate the chances of each choice from these three questions?

1. It will get teased or hinted at in a direct before the Switch releases.

2. It will appear sometime after the Switch releases, but before E3.

3. It will be revealed officially at E3 2017.

If I had to make a choice, I'd go for 1.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
But what about the green haired boys?

Alm and Satan are bae.
If that was the case then, I would have posted Zoro or omega Edgelord Hazama.

>Also forgetting the king that is Ephraim
You should be ashamed of yourself

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Meh, I prefer the OG Manakete over this Loli Dragon.

At least her fans like Elise just as much.
Unless you are talking about Adult Tiki, they both are dragon lolis, bra.

Unless some sort of interesting Smash related news comes along in the coming weeks/months, this will be my last Smash related question:

When do you guys believe we will receive any sort of news on a new game/port, specifically if you had to pick from one of these three choices?

1. It will get teased or hinted at in a direct before the Switch releases.

2. It will appear sometime after the Switch releases, but before E3.

3. It will be revealed officially at E3 2017.

If I had to make a choice, I'd go for 1.
1. Doubt it. Maybe a little tease, but nothing major.

2. I don't think so. Unless we are getting more directs.

3. This is the likeliest scenario if they want to cause the same hype they've did with Smash 4 at E3 2013.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
That doesn't seem very good to me...
Yeah, I can see why.

In-universe, it's definitely not, but as a reader I thought the same thing after the first issue when it was revealed he was a Hydra agent.

But I decided to keep on reading and it is amazing. This book was so good it made Civil War II (an event that almost everyone does not like at all), make more sense and better.

And Civil War II: The Oath makes it all worth imo.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If that was the case then, I would have posted Zoro or omega Edgelord Hazama.

>Also forgetting the king that is Ephraim
You should be ashamed of yourself
You know how much I love Ephie. I left him out on purpose because he's the obvious best choice next to Zoro. :p

As for Hazama, he's the ultimate troll husbando.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
This talk of Green-haired girls and nobody mentions the best one...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where a Smash 4 port actually happens but the only additional characters we get are veterans?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I beat KH fragmentary passage last night.

It confirms that the first world in KH 3 is:

Olympis. At the end Sora is sent to train with Hercules to regains strength after DDD and it leads directly into 3.

Trying for the secret ending now, but it's hard as hell. I've lost at least 50 times now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom