• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Methinks people who haven't played a game and don't understand the context of it's content have no place or grounds on which to speak about it's content.

But I guess they wouldn't get to play armchair social politics if they did that.

And FYI, everyone has a right to speak about it. It's called free speech.
Yeah, see, more reason for me to not say **** about this. I'm not pretending to know more on a subject I have no reference to.

You can say it, sure, doesn't make it right though. People have to understand that you shouldn't try to speak for a group you're not part of.
If I didn't know any better, I would think I'm on Tumblr and I don't even have the APK installed on my tablet yet
Here on Smashboards dot com we support positivity and don't support attacking other sites unless they are NeoGaf.
Imagine if every minority character had their sexuality, race or disability added in the credits too.
To be fair, maybe some* people need it
Game: *Clearly gay character*
Some dumbass: "Uhm, no, they are not because the game never told me!"
Doesn't justify it though

*straight, I meant to say straight people

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Toby wanted his virginity back after he found out, and I have multiple arguments for why the deadname in the credits is rude
1: If you didn't get the dialogue and other optional ****, it'd be like blurting it out, which is rude as hell, considering that even in Japan trans people are seen as weird or a fetish. Imagine you have a secret and someone just blurted it out in the open for everyone to know with no regard to your feelings. Erica's able to joke around, but one look at the list of LGBT people murdered for being LGBT tells you she clearly isn't the norm about the situation
2: That's insulting the audience by implying the people playing aren't smart enough to take a hint, I don't know about you, but I don't like having my intelligence insulted because someone thought I wasn't smart enough to solve the rather easy puzzle. If you need the answer spelled out, then you're not really good at reading subtle hints.
3: There's a difference between an interview confirming something and this situation. An interviewer talking about it is merely fleshing things out, the credits are again, blurting it out of nowhere which is nobody's business. An interview could be like the actual game, telling us how her life was in the past. Imagine if every minority character had their sexuality, race or disability added in the credits too.
I think you are REALLY underestimating people's inability to take things at more than just face value.

"Guys, Sakurai never said no to characters who haven't appeared on Nintendo consoles. He just said he considers it a courtesy. There's no such thing as corporate double speak and Sakurai is always 100% transparent!"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Methinks people who haven't played a game and don't understand the context of it's content have no place or grounds on which to speak about it's content.

But I guess they wouldn't get to play armchair social politics if they did that.

And FYI, everyone has a right to speak about it. It's called free speech.
You know what? You're right! I haven't played the game! But you what else? I watched a friend play the game for a few hours, I watched a True Lovers playthrough on youtube, AKA I saw the optional stuff my friend didn't show me when I was at his place. I looked stuff up on the wikis and ****. You don't ACTUALLY need to play a game in order to understand the story. It's possible to have seen the plot of every Ace Attorney game and enjoyed it without actually playing the games, because of this miraculous gift I like to call 'the internet', you should try it some time!

FYI, MY free speech allows me to criticize the game AND your lack of understanding of trans issues, funny how that works isn't it?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You know what? You're right! I haven't played the game! But you what else? I watched a friend play the game for a few hours, I watched a True Lovers playthrough on youtube, AKA I saw the optional stuff my friend didn't show me when I was at his place. I looked stuff up on the wikis and ****. You don't ACTUALLY need to play a game in order to understand the story. It's possible to have seen the plot of every Ace Attorney game and enjoyed it without actually playing the games, because of this miraculous gift I like to call 'the internet', you should try it some time!

FYI, MY free speech allows me to criticize the game AND your lack of understanding of trans issues, funny how that works isn't it?
Not taking a side here or anything, but you can get your point across without being a ****.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Toby wanted his virginity back after he found out, and I have multiple arguments for why the deadname in the credits is rude
He wasn't being serious, he was embarrassed that Erica was blurting out about the fact they had sex in general. They still stay together so I don't see the issue.

1: If you didn't get the dialogue and other optional ****, it'd be like blurting it out, which is rude as hell, considering that even in Japan trans people are seen as weird or a fetish. Imagine you have a secret and someone just blurted it out in the open for everyone to know with no regard to your feelings. Erica's able to joke around, but one look at the list of LGBT people murdered for being LGBT tells you she clearly isn't the norm about the situation
...so you're trying to say that having the credits mention the name is equivalent to me going out into the street and saying "HEY THIS PERSON HAD A SEX CHANGE"?

Because if that is what you're saying, then you might need to reconsider reaching higher than your legs can stand.

2: That's insulting the audience by implying the people playing aren't smart enough to take a hint, I don't know about you, but I don't like having my intelligence insulted because someone thought I wasn't smart enough to solve the rather easy puzzle. If you need the answer spelled out, then you're not really good at reading subtle hints.
Believe it or not, many people actually didn't cop that Erica was trans. Just read comments and discussions on the game from when it came out. Again, it's partly because of how a lot of the dialogue in this game is optional, and partly because some people hadn't been exposed to the concept much prior to playing the game.

3: There's a difference between an interview confirming something and this situation. An interviewer talking about it is merely fleshing things out, the credits are again, blurting it out of nowhere which is nobody's business. An interview could be like the actual game, telling us how her life was in the past. Imagine if every minority character had their sexuality, race or disability added in the credits too.
No, there is not a difference between a developer confirming it and a credits confirming it. The developers put the credits together. Stop splitting hairs.

D

Deleted member

Some one want to add me? I have not checked my Switch yet in a few days, I will today. Friend Code on my profile with all of my mains.
Splatoon 1 and 2 are boring in my opinion. Please do not get aggresive with me; it is my opinion.

Nice research; I like this post.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Some one want to add me? I have not checked my Switch yet in a few days, I will today. Friend Code on my profile with all of my mains.
Splatoon 1 and 2 are boring in my opinion. Please do not get aggresive with me; it is my opinion.
I swear I added you already but let's put that to re test. By the time I finish adding people, I'd have hit the max pff. so many people are getting a switch

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think you are REALLY underestimating people's inability to take things at more than just face value.

"Guys, Sakurai never said no to characters who haven't appeared on Nintendo consoles. He just said he considers it a courtesy. There's no such thing as corporate double speak and Sakurai is always 100% transparent!"
Smash isn't a franchise aimed at adults, Catherine has a PEGI 18 rating and an M rating from the ESRB. Not that you're wrong mind you, idiots can and will appear anywhere
Not taking a side here or anything, but you can get your point across without being a ****.
Also true, but in my defence I only hit back, metaphorically speaking. Doesn't make it right, I know
He wasn't being serious, he was embarrassed that Erica was blurting out about the fact they had sex in general. They still stay together so I don't see the issue.

...so you're trying to say that having the credits mention the name is equivalent to me going out into the street and saying "HEY THIS PERSON HAD A SEX CHANGE"?

Because if that is what you're saying, then you might need to reconsider reaching higher than your legs can stand.

Believe it or not, many people actually didn't cop that Erica was trans. Just read comments and discussions on the game from when it came out. Again, it's partly because of how a lot of the dialogue in this game is optional, and partly because some people hadn't been exposed to the concept much prior to playing the game.

No, there is not a difference between a developer confirming it and a credits confirming it. The developers put the credits together. Stop splitting hairs.
OBJECTION! He ****ing BRAGGED about having sex with Erica with at least one of his friends in the group and LITERALLY said "I want my V card back" when he found out.
I mean, there's a reason the word deadname has the word DEAD. They don't go by that name anymore. Casually blurting out "HEY THIS WOMAN HAD A DIFFERENT NAME WHICH IS USED BY MEN" is in fact, very rude to say the least.
Then those people either aren't good at reading subtlety or didn't go for the True Lovers ending, meaning they either aren't the smartest or simply didn't explore that section. Even then, why does it matter what she USED to be called rather than her actual name. Unless of course McDonald's Waifu is called Eric AND Erica all the time, but that'd be rude regardless

There's a difference because credits aren't meant to tell you the backstories of characters and ****. Credits show "These are the people who worked on the game and here's what they did". You don't see Nightmare on Elm Street's credits give us any details of Freddy's backstory in the credits, you don't see any details of Rosalina's past in Galaxy's credits, you don't see the credits of Other M saying James was the Deleter in that subplot, etc. The credits should NOT have to tell you something you missed in the story, that's just clumsy. Include it in an epilogue, sequel, an interview in which you talk more about the setting of the world you created, but NOT in the credits

D

Deleted member

People still deny EliwoodXNinian as the canon pairing after all these years so I'm not surprised that Gamers™ can't read into subtext at all.

EDIT: also, using the credits to "confirm" things is just unprofessional. If it's in the game, no one needs to be told in the credits. It's not like anyone even reads them so someone who missed all that would still not glue the oieces together.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You can say it, sure, doesn't make it right though. People have to understand that you shouldn't try to speak for a group you're not part of.
I'm not speaking for trans people, I just stated my personal opinion. I think Erica is portrayed respectfully and I gave my arguments towards that point. I didn't say you had to agree, but I do think you should be less quick to jump on a game you haven't played.

If anything, you're just demonstrating your own bloated self-importance by implying being trans means you can speak for other trans people. I've seen plenty of trans people say they don't have a problem with Erica, or Rin, or the game in general. Unless you're a parent, the only person you can speak for is yourself whether you are trans, gay, straight, or whatever.

See, I didn't claim you didn't. I'm not the one going around telling people what they do or don't have a legal right to discuss.

I just told you that your argument lacked any grounds and that you were reaching. Feel free to do some research next time, but there is nothing hypocritical about me telling you that.

And I don't claim to be an expert on the subject or claim to understand everything a trans person goes through.

But you know...

Screaming censored words at me and making knee-jerk reaction arguments to both the game and my posts, is not going to bring me any closer to understanding anything, other than the fact you're a bit tempermental.

D

Deleted member

@Swampasaur and @Blue Hunter Z
I sent both of you friend requests from my Nintendo Switch.
Tell me if anyone wants friend requests from me; I only got one friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm not speaking for trans people, I just stated my personal opinion. I think Erica is portrayed respectfully and I gave my arguments towards that point. I didn't say you had to agree, but I do think you should be less quick to jump on a game you haven't played.

If anything, you're just demonstrating your own bloated self-importance by implying being trans means you can speak for other trans people. I've seen plenty of trans people say they don't have a problem with Erica, or Rin, or the game in general. Unless you're a parent, the only person you can speak for is yourself whether you are trans, gay, straight, or whatever.

See, I didn't claim you didn't. I'm not the one going around telling people what they do or don't have a legal right to discuss.

I just told you that your argument lacked any grounds and that you were reaching. Feel free to do some research next time, but there is nothing hypocritical about me telling you that.

And I don't claim to be an expert on the subject or claim to understand everything a trans person goes through.

But you know...

Screaming censored words at me and making knee-jerk reaction arguments to both the game and my posts, is not going to bring me any closer to understanding anything, other than the fact you're a bit tempermental.
But you ARE. By saying Erica is a tans character written respectfully, you ARE speaking for trans people. Also, question. How did you know if I played the game or not? You DIDN'T know! If it wasn't for me admitting I didn't play it, I could say "Yeah, I actually DO have the game!" and if it wasn't for a few people here knowing I don't have a PS3 or 360, I could have gotten away with it! Either way it's irrelevant as I saw the story, which is what matters most in the game.
I CAN speak for other trans people. I'm not the only trans person I know after all, hell, in an LGBT place, we literally discussed Catherine, and what do you know? The other trans people didn't like how Erica was handled! Meaning I'm speaking on their behalf too!

What a coincidence, neither did I! I just said you had a lack of understanding for trans issues, not that you're not allowed to talk about it by law.

"Do some research next time"? So the full playthrough of the True Lovers ending isn't research? The time I spent looking up stuff on the wiki isn't research? The alternative endings I looked up on youtube don't count either I assume? The fact I could literally quote the game should have said enough

The swears weren't even directed at YOU. They were used for emphasis. Even then, you're being a hypocrite considering your knee-jerk reactions have acussed me of not playing the game, which you didn't know until I admitted it and saying I need to do research, which is ALSO ironic considering that you only NOW mentioned trans people who were fine with her. Granted, that's different from the topic, as the topic is how the writing treats her as a joke in the True Lovers ending for "Haha Toby had sex with someone who was a man!" and not her character.

I get annoyed quickly, sure, and I have personal, possibly justifiable reasons depending on who you asked about that, but you're getting tempermental too

D

Deleted member

To be fair, wasn't that only confirmed canon in a Japan exclusive manga, like Samus' backstory prior to Other M?
No, Gwen, I'm talking about the real subtle clues the game gives you like all the scenes between the two that build their relationship, Ninian being in love with Eliwood and the fact the ending ****ing changes if they have an A-Support.

"B-but you can marry Eliwood to other characters!" -Someone who ships EliwoodXLyn or some dumb ****
Yeah, I can also have Chrom marry a random village lady in Awakening and make Frog **** the queen turning Marle into a half-frog, half-human hybrid in Chrono Trigger but you don't see me arguing these as canon.
Not until now, that is.
Because ChromXVillage Lady is canon fite me

D

Deleted member

can someone remind me what the signature size is for non premium users?
Click your profile picture ( name ) on the top right area of your screen,
Then check the left area. Look one area below "Personal Details" and you should find your Signature.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No, Gwen, I'm talking about the real subtle clues the game gives you like all the scenes between the two that build their relationship, Ninian being in love with Eliwood and the fact the ending ****ing changes if they have an A-Support.

"B-but you can marry Eliwood to other characters!" -Someone who ships EliwoodXLyn or some dumb ****
Yeah, I can also have Chrom marry a random village lady in Awakening and make Frog **** the queen turning Marle into a half-frog, half-human hybrid in Chrono Trigger but you don't see me arguing these as canon.
Not until now, that is.
Ah, my bad thought you meant people deliberately not knowing about something being stated as canon

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But you ARE. By saying Erica is a tans character written respectfully, you ARE speaking for trans people.
No, I'm saying I personally feel she's written respectfully. Everyone has their own definition of what is respectful and what isn't. Some more reasonable than others.

Also, question. How did you know if I played the game or not?
Because your arguments on the subject were incredibly poor, and I'd like to think you're not someone who has played the game yet didn't have the intelligence/maturity to deal with the subject matter in the game.

I CAN speak for other trans people. I'm not the only trans person I know after all, hell, in an LGBT place, we literally discussed Catherine, and what do you know? The other trans people didn't like how Erica was handled! Meaning I'm speaking on their behalf too!
If you feel so entitled, then I can't stop you. I've already explained why speaking on behalf of other without their express permission or a legal obligation is a fools errand. Feel free to play the fool.

What a coincidence, neither did I! I just said you had a lack of understanding for trans issues, not that you're not allowed to talk about it by law.
You didn't, but Shish did, and you were defending their argument, by your own words.

I get annoyed quickly, sure, and I have personal, possibly justifiable reasons depending on who you asked about that, but you're getting tempermental too
How can I be temperamental when I just finished watching Night at the Museum on a comfy couch and am now watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets? :p

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Not until now, that is.
EliwoodxNinian and ChromxSumia are in the sad spot where literally everything is saying they're the canon pairing and yet there are still people jumping through hoops to undermine them.

You know, let's ignore the fact that the ending changes for EliwoodxNinian and the fact that Sumia is holding baby Lucina in Awakening's opening and there are entire cutscenes and CGs dedicated to ChromxSumia. :p

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I never thought I'd say this but the best gift I got is a golden dinosaur on a plate....

D

Deleted member

You didn't, but Shish did, and you were defending their argument, by your own words.
Gwen is actually representing me here.
People can speak for others as long as they understand others.
EliwoodxNinian and ChromxSumia are in the sad spot where literally everything is saying they're the canon pairing and yet there are still people jumping through hoops to undermine them.

You know, let's ignore the fact that the ending changes for EliwoodxNinian and the fact that Sumia is holding baby Lucina in Awakening's opening and there are entire cutscenes and CGs dedicated to ChromxSumia. :p
*CG opening shows Chrom and Sumia together on the castle holding baby Lucina*
"ChromXOlivia is canon guyz"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People can speak for others as long as they understand others.

*CG opening shows Chrom and Sumia together on the castle holding baby Lucina*
"ChromXOlivia is canon guyz"
I know, right?
I don't care that the relationship growth rates imply OliviaxHenry and VirionxCherche, OliviaxVirion is canon, dammit.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No, I'm saying I personally feel she's written respectfully. Everyone has their own definition of what is respectful and what isn't. Some more reasonable than others.

Because your arguments on the subject were incredibly poor, and I'd like to think you're not someone who has played the game yet didn't have the intelligence/maturity to deal with the subject matter in the game.

If you feel so entitled, then I can't stop you. I've already explained why speaking on behalf of other without their express permission or a legal obligation is a fools errand. Feel free to play the fool.

How can I be temperamental when I just finished watching Night at the Museum on a comfy couch and am now watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets? :p
>Erica is one of the most respectfully portrayed trans characters in all of fiction and just a really cool character in her own right
Whoops, did I just show you what you literally said in the post that started this mess to prove how you're both backpedalling and lying? My mistake!

"Your arguments on the subject were poor" Explanations what are those? YOUR arguments were poor! Can't argue with that! In all seriousness, they aren't, you just chose not to listen to them, like people who say Goku isn't a blatant Mary Sue but FEMALE Saiyans? Absolutely are! Also nice jab at my intelligence when you're the one saying you need to outright say the answer to something subtle

You... You literally did the same thing. You said you know trans people are fine with it, so it's no longer a fool's errand when it benefits your argument? Ok

When did I exactly defend his argument in which he claims that by law, cis people can't talk about trans issues? All I said was that you didn't understand trans issues, which is a very fair assumption at the least judging by how you're saying it's not a big deal when there's a "Haha you had sex with a man!" joke

Then how can I be tempermental when I had delicious mint ice cream, finished the Cell Games Saga in DBZKai and learned my mother's doing well in the hospital? Checkmate athiest? Also the fact I've yet to insult you yet you've insulted me says otherwise. And I think about 15+ users here can vouch for me when I say I'm not usually this nice when arguing

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I'm a bit late to be talking about this (I didn't have time earlier), but I had a pretty good Christmas.
I had some fun with my family and got some nice gifts. As for what I got, I got Mario + Rabbids, Fire Emblem Warriors, Okami HD, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, and Mario Odyssey.
I also managed to receive an NES Classic edition, somehow.

Overall, I'm quite happy with what I've gotten and plan to play more of those games over my Winter Break.
So to continue on my Christmas story.

My parents said it was a practical Christmas.

They were right.

I got canned food, paper towels, toothpaste, etc.

They basically did months of grocery shopping in advance.

Not very exciting but I appreciate it. Saves me a lot of time and money.

Oh, and I got Uncharted: Lost Legacy.

As for the big box?

Give me your Switch codes you ninnies.
Mine should be on the left.
<----------

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know, you're friends, so naturally you can speak for each other to a degree. It was Gwen who decided to forget that for the sake of a cheap fling of an argument. Funny how that works.

Whoops, did I just show you what you literally said in the post that started this mess to prove how you're both backpedalling and lying? My mistake!
No, you sincerely didn't. That was my personal opinion, like I said it was in the first place.

You said you know trans people are fine with it, so it's no longer a fool's errand when it benefits your argument? Ok
Except I didn't speak for trans people, I simply said I have seen some who don't agree with your statements, ergo, you can't speak for all trans people like you think you can.

When did I exactly defend his argument in which he claims that by law, cis people can't talk about trans issues?
When you responded to my post on the subject.

When did I even say this though? I never once turned this into a legality issue.
"Methinks cis people don't have a right to talk about trans representation"

"A right" in this context, implies legality. I doubt you were talking about directions.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, looks like everyone got a Switch this Christmas! I wonder how many more will Nintendo sell. Anyways, decided to add my Switch friend code to my profile, and sent a couple of friend requests, so if you see a Yoshi that wants your friendship, it's probably me! Also everyone feel free to add me on the Switch too!

Here in Spain we don't get Christmas presents until the 6th of January, which is the day of the Three Wise Men (I don't even know if that's how you say it...) so no presents for me, at least for now. I don't expect anything anyways.
Well here in Asia, Chinese New Year is more the "Christmas"... where everyone return to meet their family. Not sure if I will get red envelope though...

By the way, who is Jojalole?

you forgot
>people still don't understand that saying a character is a trap/otokonoko has nothing to do with sexual or gender politics
And just how can some dudes look like girls?
Anime...

D

Deleted member

"A right" in this context, implies legality. I doubt you were talking about directions.
I never said it was a legal "right", this isn't even implied in my post.
I know I'm bad with words but this isn't my mistake.

I'm saying "cis people shouldn't talk about things they don't fully understand", not "cis people should be thrown into jail for talking about something they don't fully understand"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
User was warned for this post
I know, you're friends, so naturally you can speak for each other to a degree. It was Gwen who decided to forget that for the sake of a cheap fling of an argument. Funny how that works.

No, you sincerely didn't. That was my personal opinion, like I said it was in the first place.

Except I didn't speak for trans people, I simply said I have seen some who don't agree with your statements, ergo, you can't speak for all trans people like you think you can.

When you responded to my post on the subject.

Do I need to ask trans people and screencap their agreements to prove I'm not just talking about my own opinions?
I literally showed your post which DIDN'T say it was just your opinion, nor did it imply it was merely 'muh onion'. Don't believe me? Check your post that I showed you, and we can tell if it's editted
I've seen plenty of trans people say they don't have a problem with Erica, or Rin, or the game in general.
Breh this is literally speaking for other people, who are trans in this case. Also nice, going "*snort* I know people who disagree so you're wrong *smells fart*" like child molester defenders did during the Alabama election
"You posted your own argument against me, thus you agree with someone else saying something different despite you yourself saying absolutely nothing about it nor did you acknowledge that in your argument". That's... Really ****ing dumb logic. I can't comprehend how this is supposed to work, because you can accuse literally anyone of anything with this logic

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I never said it was a legal "right", this isn't even implied in my post.
I know I'm bad with words but this isn't my mistake.

I'm saying "cis people shouldn't talk about things they don't fully understand", not "cis people should be thrown into jail for talking about something they don't fully understand"
It is your mistake, don't use the term "don't have a right" if it's not what you mean. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom