• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Time to change the topic. Netflix anime is good again
Warning, demons getting their head shot off

Man, this, MHA season 3, Overlord and OPM getting a second season, Trigger making a Gridman anime and more I'm probably forgetting means 2018 is a good anime year

D

Deleted member

Time to change the topic. Netflix anime is good again
Warning, demons getting their head shot off

Man, this, MHA season 3, Overlord and OPM getting a second season, Trigger making a Gridman anime and more I'm probably forgetting means 2018 is a good anime year
No idea what Devilman is but this looks cool

But I thought you didn't like OPM?

Also
>The Ancient Magus Bride continues into Winter 2018
>Nanatsu no Taizai "Praise the mother****ing sun" Season 2 on Winter
>Made in Abyss Season 2 Best Dad edition
>Part 5 pls
Also, Ninja Batman exists but I think I just hallucinated that whole thing

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
For the second year in a row the local soccer team roflstomped every other team just to choke ultra hard in the finals.
People outside went from cheerful and noisy to absolute silence after that.

Easily the most peaceful night I've ever had in months.

Let's just ban Pyra discussion from ever happening again.

We clearly cannot debate this point with maturity.
Pyraxodia The Forboobden One.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Came here to see the posts on the latest DB Super episode, found a Pyra debate instead, so let me share my thoughts on both.

I've always found gross the fact that people often fantasize about dating (and ****ing) fictional characters, but I never bothered others about it. I always found the whole waifu thing waaaaay too prominent whenever I browse forums or social media; I absolutely loved Camilla's design upon reveal, but quickly got disgusted by her whole character since her whole purpose was to hit on her sibling and appeal to horny people (which I wouldn't mind if her character was well-written, let alone written at all), so much so that the cutscenes in Fates and Warriors where the cameta zooms in on her cleavage and thong made me want to puke. I got mad when I noticed Twintelle's butt trending, kinda ruined the design for me, which isn't nothing since ARMS's charadesign as a whole is part of why I love the game so much.

So I was like "okay, everybody likes breasts, everybody likes butts, can't blame them for enjoying what they enjoy". But then XC2 was unveiled throughout the year and all of a sudden, the masses raised pitchforks to combat Pyra's massive assets and various bare body areas - which a good number of Fire Emblem characters in recent memory also bear. For once, I feel like I'm on the complete opposite side of the spectrum and I actually feel like I could defend XC2's design. Then again, I took great care not to watch any footage at all since I want a fresh experience whenever I decide to buy the game... which may not be happening in the foreseeable future because of my backlog. So perhaps the sexualisation is way off the charts within the actual game, but I can easily overlook it if, as Swamp assumes, Pyra's character is well written.

Now, on to DBS. Watch out for the spoilers below.

I felt like this was the most serviceable episode so far, even if it's only on a personal level. I had been craving some Piccolo, Kami and Beerus love for a while now, and none of them I had expected to turn out so fiiine. At this point, seeing Kami make any kind of appearance whatsoever in the current DB era was always a pipe dream.

I didn't expect 17 to be back so soon either - love him -, and Champa and Vegeta didn't fail to impress me either.

And last but not least, that Goku/Androids tag team was absolutely novel and entertaining. Too bad they're probably going to lose relevance again whenever this arc ends (and I suspect that they're both going out next episode, if the preview is anything to go by).

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I love how everyone rages over Pyra's design despite Rex looking much worst.

Like I don't even mind his design and he's a bigger offender than her.

Like the overly cartoonish sized boots, him having shorts that don't fit and looking overall clunky despite being a scuba suit

Chrono.

I love how everyone rages over Pyra's design despite Rex looking much worst.

Like I don't even mind his design and he's a bigger offender than her.

Like the overly cartoonish sized boots, him having shorts that don't fit and looking overall clunky despite being a scuba suit
He isn't hyper sexualized, which is the main point of contention with Pyra.

I could stomach Pyra if she didn't have that weird thong/shorts combo she has going on. Rex is dumb but largely inoffensive.

D

Deleted member

But then XC2 was unveiled throughout the year and all of a sudden, the masses raised pitchforks to combat Pyra's massive assets and various bare body areas - which a good number of Fire Emblem characters in recent memory also bear.
I keep seeing stuff like this, that nobody complained about the FE designs.
The problem is that people infact did, but everytime it was brought up it was shutdown as just whining about the new games or overshadowed by other complaints.
Complaints about the stupid armor designs were everywhere when Fates was still relevant, but things like the story, tackling of supports and children overshadowed those criticisms.

It has only calmed down because SoV came out and even if it keeps stuff like boob armor, the designs were all sensible(and it's not like it has children or incredibly convoluted plot points).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
He isn't hyper sexualized, which is the main point of contention with Pyra.

I could stomach Pyra if she didn't have that weird thong/shorts combo she has going on. Rex is dumb but largely inoffensive.
Thing is Pyra isn't even that sexualize.

Maybe it's because I'm too desensitized to all of this but her design doesn't even look that bad or over sexualize.

I can see it but it doesn't look over top like that green haired chick in Star Ocean. I could post her but I don't wanna get banned

So here's a link

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My only issue with Pyra's design is that her breasts look like literal beach balls stapled to her chest. I get that she's supposed to be at least partially a robot or something, but that's never stopped anime character designers making robotic girls who look like they have natural body parts before (my favourite female character in all of anime is one). Give those things a more natural weight and shape if you have to give her a well endowed chest, and even a bit of jiggle.

This is not me saying that I necessarily specifically want more fan service stuff from the game. But I doubt Pyra having a large rack serves any narrative or gameplay purpose. So if you are gonna give her a large rack, do it properly at least. Where things are at right now, nobody is pleased. Giving her large breasts at all already stirs a ruckus among people who hate fanservice in games. But making them literal unmovable footballs doesn't really do it for boob lovers either.

Also her running animation just looks super silly but that's a separate issue.

Chrono.

Me: Man I ain't ever getting into One Piece it's too long

Also me: *Currently binging Law & Order SVU on Hulu*

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Me: Man I ain't ever getting into One Piece it's too long

Also me: *Currently binging Law & Order SVU*
MY MAN. THAT SHOW IS MY JA-

*on Hulu*

I'm going back to Discord, I can't handle this much madness. **** You Hulu. I ain't paying $12 just for no commercials when Netflix is cheaper with no commercials.

And **** you Netflix for taking off Seasons 1-11 of SVU off of Netflix because Christopher Meloni left

Chrono.

MY MAN. THAT SHOW IS MY JA-

I'm going back to Discord, I can't handle this much madness. **** You Hulu. I ain't paying $12 just for no commercials when Netflix is cheaper with no commercials.

And **** you Netflix for taking off Seasons 1-11 of SVU off of Netflix because Christopher Meloni left
I only got it to try out the free trial, idk if I'm sticking with it just yet.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Wow, I got the same rare blade for Rex... And he's definitely a trap, that intro cutscene made me so uncomfortable. But he has a really cool weapon! It's just a ball, but seeing Rex playing volleyball, soccer and slam dunking enemies is so awesome! I'll be using him for now. (Where is my Kos-Mos Monolith, I want her now)

Also the combat gets way better when you finally get 3 party members, so dynamic, I'm really enjoying myself right now. There's still a lot of things I don't know how work, but I'll figure it out.
The combat system really takes time to get used to...
If I understand this right, this person didn't criticize Pyra's design enough, so she's getting harassed for it?

Man why do people care about reviews so much.
More like... why people care about her design so much?

Xenoblade 2 designs are controversial and make me get scoliosis from looking at them. More at 11.
Yeah... looking at Floren does gave me a back pain lol...

Are XBC2's designs even controversial at this point? XBC X had freaking bunny costumes.
Well, to give them a benefit of the doubt, at least those costumes are customizable and optional...
That said same with Blades... sort of, you can't release the story related Baldes, but other Blades can.
So if you got a Blade that you just didn't like, just release it... like how you release a Pokemon... awkward is that they will leave quote when you release them...
Xenoblade 2 is bad because Pyra's design gave me arthritis.:034:

I'm sure this joke is gonna smooth over.
Same with Floren lol...
In XBC2, there are no ways to change your armor so you're stuck with a design for better or for worse. Now to be fair, even if the female blades get.... silly. It seems the female drivers have excellent designs that I think even the most adamant protester would like.
Not including Pyra...
You can release Blades you know? Don't like them just release them... simple... (Even though release a rare Blade is a very stupid thing to do)

Xenoblade 2 designs aren't even that bad compared to what I've seen elsewhere in Japanese media.

I actually like them overall. The fact they got a lot of guest artists allows for plenty of variety although I guess people might prefer more consistency by having a smaller number of artists working in collaboration to achieve a higher degree of consistency.

As for the fanservice, that stuff is literally almost everywhere in Japanese media. And men are sexualized in media aimed at girls, namely shoujo manga, otome games, etc. It's just that the content aimed towards the male demographic get exported more often and has more visibility in the West compared to content targeted towards female demographics, as a result it makes seem like their games are sexist, hence the controversy.
td;dr
In Japanese anime media... we've seen worse...

I personally don't like the designs period, sexualized or not. There's just a lot going on with them, and the problem stems well beyond the sexualization of the characters tbh. One quick look at the MC's ridiculous attire is all you need, and yet they still feel awfully generic and cliche. That said, I'm not the sort of person who'd slam a design simply for it being sexualized or fanservicey. I understand that "sex sells" is the number one rule of marketing, and that people just love their anime tiddies. There is a room and place for sexy designs likes those, you mentioned FE, but better yet, just look at FF, Tifa's design is very sexual, yet it's not intrusive or bothersome. It's quite memorable in fact. Other examples would be Cammy or Chun Li in the SF series. Or probably the best example I can think of, Morrigan from Darkstalkers, who is a literal succubus, thus, her sexuality is a major part of her character. These deisgns serve a purpose beyond blatant fan service. They make sense within the context of the characters and the universe. Like you said, it's more of a question of execution than anything else. My problem with XC2, is that the sexualization of the characters just feels forced and without much substance. They're just ugly and obnoxious to look at period.
Also don't forget that Tifa and those other female character's bust were actually way bigger than Pyra's... and no I didn't compare but from the overall looks of it yeah....

You problem with XC2 I can only have one argument is that you have might not play the game or have played enough to reach to the story where it can justify Pyra's design, from what I have heard and try not to spoil anything.... Pyra is a Blade from Elysium and she needs to go there...
So if possible, we might sort of understand Pyra's design sometime later in the game... but my guess is... probably not....
Oh, despite anything I said in my first post btw. I agree that none of it should be censored. Just because I or other people may not like something, doesn't meant we should infringe on other people's ability to create whatever they like. I respect artistic integrity above all else.

Nothing is too offensive or too radical to be expressed by art imo. Art, at the end of the day is a form of communication, and the moment you start drawing lines on what is acceptable or not to communicate to others, is the moment you start having major problems. You can call out something on being tasteless or offensive or whatever, but people have every right to create whatever tasteless or offensive thing their mind comes up with, so long as other people or being aren't being harmed BY its creation.
Indeed, my advice for those ... just don't buy the game... if it really bothers you to a certain extent...
It's almost as though far fewer people would care about XC2's sexualization if it didn't look "anime," which is. . .uh. . .
I mean some complained about XC2's anime artstyle so... go figure...
>Made in Abyss Season 2 Best Dad edition
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still... screw Bondrewd....

*gets on knees* Vanillaware, please bring Muramasa to switch, i beg of you
As Dragon's Crown... wait... no...

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Bruh, why Mythra sits down like she taking a ****?
Is she a Guzma fan or is marking territory?

Also Law & Order SUV died when based Stabler left.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
More like... why people care about her design so much?

Well, to give them a benefit of the doubt, at least those costumes are customizable and optional...
That said same with Blades... sort of, you can't release the story related Baldes, but other Blades can.
So if you got a Blade that you just didn't like, just release it...

You can release Blades you know? Don't like them just release them... simple... (Even though release a rare Blade is a very stupid thing to do)

td;dr
In Japanese anime media... we've seen worse...

Also don't forget that Tifa and those other female character's bust were actually way bigger than Pyra's... and no I didn't compare but from the overall looks of it yeah....

Indeed, my advice for those ... just don't buy the game... if it really bothers you to a certain extent...

Ignoring the problem doesn't stop it from existing. Worse offenders existing doesn't justify it. The issue is the over-sexualization, not necessarily her breast size.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Fam, we should legit ban Pyra talk at least for a week.

D

Deleted member

TBH I was never really bothered by Pyra's design all that much, though like Champ, I'm probably desensitized to that sort of thing at this point. However, I did find a certain other Blade's design as a whole to be unsettling at first, and even now I still find it unappealing, sexualized or not. Even if I didn't, thinking about the whole controversy surrounding it (and Pyra to a smaller extent) makes me feel dirty for even wanting to play the game (which I still do, whenever I get a Switch that is), though it admittedly won't be the first time I've felt that way towards playing a game. *cough* Metal Gear *cough*

Ivander

Smash Legend

Round and Round and Round it goes. When it will stop, nobody knows.........when the next Smash is shown. Than everybody will focus too much on Smash to focus on arguments on other games.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
:172: well thats another thing in my pro list
Wait... so you like traps?
Not that I have problem with traps... their personality determines... this is why I like Maruruk in Made In Abyss because he was awesome.
Ignoring the problem doesn't stop it from existing. Worse offenders existing doesn't justify it. The issue is the over-sexualization, not necessarily her breast size.
Old man?

Ok here's the cue:
So it is bad to ignore a problem... that isn't even a problem but a more opinion-wise debate...
My advice "Don't play those games" not only fits for this game but also other games that has the similar issue. I have seen way wosre and despite I don't like those kind of games I don't go and being bothered by it... I just don't even bother of buying them.
Let's not forget you were the one who said you aren't even interested of playing this game in the first place.
So if you excuse me I am going to play my Xenoblade Chronicles 2... oh yeah I also have played the game for 10 hours so... basically I have more point of arguing... at least that's what I think.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I was going to make a fire nation joke involving Pyra in it. But after some thought, I don't want to get problems wiht it or screw the entire joke.

But hey, atleast, I know better what to do and NOT do with my females characters.

So, thanks? I guess?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Changing the subject:

How's my current FE Heroes Team

Collage 2017-12-03 00_42_10.jpg

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Well, it is December now.
My favorite month of the year.
I have changed my avatar to a Christmas avatar because of this (and also because Friday was XC2's release).
-------------------------
It has been a while since I have posted something related to FEH, but I have had pretty alright luck with the legendary banner.
As for who I've gotten from the banner, I've gotten Bride Cordelia, Genny, Spring Camilla, and Celica.
I don't really care that much about Spring Camilla, but I'mm glad I have the other 3!
Overall, I'm content with what I've gotten from the banner.
I'm going to need to save up my orbs for a while now though, because I used most of what I had and I don't think I will be summoning on the Children of Fate banner.

Chrono.

Regular Xenoblade 2 talk.

I made it into Uraya and this area is creepy af, I really really hope there's only a bare minimum of spiders.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Round and Round and Round it goes. When it will stop, nobody knows.........when the next Smash is shown. Than everybody will focus too much on Smash to focus on arguments on other games.
Because some people here takes this very seriously...
I can only...

Sorry...
I was going to make a fire nation joke involving Pyra in it. But after some thought, I don't want to get problems wiht it or screw the entire joke.

But hey, atleast, I know better what to do and NOT do with my females characters.

So, thanks? I guess?
Probably so.
If you excuse me... gonna finish something... and play Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Meh.

I don't think it's much of an issue. At least not one making a huge fuss over. Bad designs are bad designs, and they exist in plenty of games, including those intentionally circumventing fanservice. *cough* Icons *cough.*

There are plenty of oversexualized designs that are pretty great too, Dragon's Crown springs to mind for example.

Just do what I and the rest of the cool kids do, don't like it, don't buy it, simply as.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm shocked you haven't +10'd Tiki.
There's a legitimate reason why

I haven't gotten her as much and they have all been 3*

Reason is just since I first summoned her, I got like 2 Tikis.

And that's including Summer Tiki

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Wait... so you like traps?
Not that I have problem with traps... their personality determines... this is why I like Maruruk in Made In Abyss because he was awesome.
Oh yes, very much so lol Thats where that Trap Queen title came from
Fam we should legit ban Pyra talk at least for a week.
Its Godwin's law except instead of it being Hitler involved, its Pyra

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
D

Deleted member

I'm leaving temporarily.
I know I said this about a week ago but things are starting to get really ugly as far as school goes.
I won't be here on my birthday, which is in 24 days, but it's okay. There are more important things to do.
See ya.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

Kind of surprised it’s a whole broadcast for dlc 2. Hope that means it’s pretty big.
Some folks are expecting a big new world/Majora's Mask-like expansion.

I don't think it'll be that big but who knows, I just hope it's well worth the money.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Meh.

I don't think it's much of an issue. At least not one making a huge fuss over. Bad designs are bad designs, and they exist in plenty of games, including those intentionally circumventing fanservice. *cough* Icons *cough.*

There are plenty of oversexualized designs that are pretty great too, Dragon's Crown springs to mind for example.

Just do what I and the rest of the cool kids do, don't like it, don't buy it, simply as.
If I have to be serious for a bit on that video even though I know it's just a meme, there's no "lessons" to teach...
That said...
Agreed with you man.
Sexualized designs is one thing, but in my opinion "Is the game fun?" is what matters the most. As you mentioned, Dragon's Crown and one of my favorite Skullgirls are those kind of games that have those kind of designs but were great games nonetheless.
Let's hope those two games can be ported to Switch...
So... I guess I am one of the cool kids? That's what I clearly sum up on this issue... just don't buy the game, and that's literally what I do too.
Oh yes, very much so lol Thats where that Trap Queen title came from
After spending hours using Floren... I actually think he's an awesome character to play and probably the best healer...
That said I need a better attacker Blade for Nia too, or I need to improve Gorg...

Chrono.

Thinking about it now... Yeah, I'd be down for the BOTW DLC to take us to a new continent.

Nowhere near as big as Hyrule, but like, still big enough to explore fully at least. I'm gonna be a little disappointed if it's just a story that takes place in regular old Hyrule because BOTW's story and narrative did not grab me at all. On top of that, it's been 9 months, I've already explored all of Hyrule. Give me something else.

That said I don't really expect that at all.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only thing the BotW DLC needs to do is let me give her a happy ending...

5d13e69fcbdbe9de63bcdde108f33ae0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom