• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There. Took me a while to find a good choice, and a reasonable image edit, but my username change is complete.

From Roachey to Dragon Lady Trish. ...Trish is her proper name, but a little boring.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I sold a bunch of copies of Sonic Forces today, and some pre-orders of it.

Also - whoever at Nintendo/Pokemon Company decided to make those Pokemon Gold/Sliver boxes with an ESD inside? I want them fired.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So apparently both my Forces copy and Odyssey copy (which is over 2 weeks late) get here on Monday.

That's gonna be interesting.
Your new theme song is Fist Up, Bump Star!/Jump Fist, Super Bump!

I hope you enjoy the Green Hill Kingdom.

Be sure to stop Eggman from Marrying Princess Peach!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think I've got my story down with what I want to do. I'm already designing characters

In pixel art at least

I've been really into pixel art atm

Edit: I'm trying to keep the pixel art limited in palette similar to how the NES sprites were limited

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
No, I'm talking about Fate.
Zero does it mostly well but it has a clear cut protagonist duo.
And Stay Night... does it even have a death game?

No idea what King's Game is
Kings game is a super ****ty anime about, well, the kings game. People getting text meaaages of the kings orders amd if they arent carried through, they die

Ivander

Smash Legend
There. Took me a while to find a good choice, and a reasonable image edit, but my username change is complete.

From Roachey to Dragon Lady Trish. ...Trish is her proper name, but a little boring.
Good evening Trishula. Trying to join the list of anthropomorphic waifus, am I not mistaken? Are you still on the limited list? How's Brionac and Gungnir?
Kings game is a super ****ty anime about, well, the kings game. People getting text meaaages of the kings orders amd if they arent carried through, they die
That sounds an awful lot like The World Ends With You, except with less reapers and less already dead people.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
SEGA released some cool concept art of Sonic Forces today. One of them is a pretty big late game story spoiler so I will just provide a link.

http://segabits.com/blog/2017/11/07/sega-releases-new-concept-art-on-sonic-forces-release-day/

Also, Golbez confirmed for Dissidia.

Do they have Exdeath?

Ivander

Smash Legend
SEGA released some cool concept art of Sonic Forces today. One of them is a pretty big late game story spoiler so I will just provide a link.

http://segabits.com/blog/2017/11/07/sega-releases-new-concept-art-on-sonic-forces-release-day/

Golbez looks pretty cool and and his Shadow Dragon does too. Especially when it's no longer attached to Golbez like a tattoo. That being said, with Golbez in now, Gabranth is the only character from the first Dissidia yet to return. DO IT KOEI! Let us have our Ivalice Trio Team of Vaan, Gabranth and Ramza! Also at this point it would feel like an injustice to not bring the last Dissidia roster character back.
Do they have Exdeath?
Yep. As of now, all roster characters but Gabranth have returned from the first Dissidia.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've played about an hour of Sonic Forces so far, getting to about stage 5. The game seems pretty similar to Colours and Generations, which is a plus, though I have a few complaints. One's a minor gameplay thing, but I really miss the bottomless pit warning signs from Colours and Generations. Taking those out brings me back to the days of older 3D Sonic games, where you tend to fall down bottomless pits and lose a lot of progress because you're moving so fast that you couldn't possibly see the pit coming, and that's not a good thing.

The other is the story, or more specifically, the tone. It seems like they're trying to go with a darker tone, like the Adventure games (where Eggman tried murdering Sonic and Gerald Robotnik wanted to cause the apocalypse) and Shadow the Hedgehog (with the scenes of destruction and the general aesthetic of the game), but having characters like Knuckles talk about war, Tails apparently being traumatized from seeing Sonic beaten so badly, and having Eggman torture Sonic just seems weird coming from a Sonic game.

It doesn't help that Eggman's entire world domination takes place off-screen, and having the happy-go-lucky Classic Sonic (who is inexplicably described as coming from another dimension instead of the past) contrasts so heavily with everything else about the game.

The gameplay's fine (aside from the bottomless pit issue), but the story seems to be all over the place.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
...I really need to finish my Xenoblade 1 playthrough.

I put that on hold for like a year and a half now.
Curious... can I ask where you are now?
I finish the first Xenoblade's story around this year's March....

Also...
Here's a Raiko gif I found...

Raiko is running towards you like a speed of lighting...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sounds a lot like Nerve
And also a thing that happened here in Brazil called "Baleia Azul"(Blue Whale)

DarthVader is looking great as usual
Is anyone from Star Wars besides Cecil in it too?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sounds a lot like Nerve
And also a thing that happened here in Brazil called "Baleia Azul"(Blue Whale)

DarthVader is looking great as usual
Is anyone from Star Wars besides Cecil in it too?
Yes, Liam O'Brien, the best Star Wars character, is in too.

But yeah Kain is there too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I thought only I called him that. Still, neat, Kain is one of my faves

Oh yeah, what about FFVI? Is Celes in or is it just Terra and Kefka?
Just Terra and Kefka for now.

The developers apparently want to put the yeti guy in (forget his name, haven't gotten around to FFVI yet).

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Boi, finally managed to watch the Xenoblade Direct, I need to rewatch it a couple more times because my head got stuck with the bad joke of: "Bruh, why Pyra goes Super Saiyan 3 Mythra when she's a Super Saiyan God already?"

D

Deleted member

The developers apparently want to put the yeti guy in (forget his name, haven't gotten around to FFVI yet).
I'm not even going to but Dissidia but I'd be so ****ing salty if the yeti got in before any other party member

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The intro of Sonic Forces is not going to help with the reception it's getting regardless of how the rest of it plays, eugh.

I need to go into the options and see if there's an option to shut off hint bubbles ASAP. Without those constantly ramming into my face, the railroading wouldn't feel as blatant and I could get into enough of a tempo to try to get an S-rank on that stage.

The levels I saw watching video looked fun, but between this and the really awkward plot intro after, if this is what people are greeted with starting up the game it's really not going to help the crapstorm.

I'm on the avatar creator right now. It mostly looks alright, but I feel like the game would be actively better without the "I'm dead inside" eye options on the bottom. They clash with the artstyle and were a large part of the prerelease ridicule.

*EDIT* OK MAYBE I NEED TO TURN BACK ON THE HINT BUBBLES FOR A MINUTE

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
These are the characters in Dissidia NT.
Final Fantasy: Warrior of Light / Garland
Final Fantasy II: Firion / The Emperor
Final Fantasy III: Onion Knight / Cloud of Darkness
Final Fantasy IV: Cecil Harvey / Kain Highwind / Golbez None
Final Fantasy V: Bartz Klauser / Exdeath
Final Fantasy VI: Terra Branford / Kefka Palazzo
Final Fantasy VII: Cloud Strife/ Sephiroth
Final Fantasy VIII: Squall Leonhart / Ultimecia
Final Fantasy IX: Zidane Tribal / Kuja
Final Fantasy X: Tidus/ Jecht
Final Fantasy XI: Shantotto
Final Fantasy XII: Vaan
Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning
Final Fantasy XIV: Y'shtola
Final Fantasy XV: Noctis Lucis Caelum
Final Fantasy Tactics: Ramza Beoulve
Final Fantasy Type-0: Ace
Basically, as I said, all from the original Dissidia except Gabranth have returned. Meanwhile, Tifa, Prishe, Laguna, Yuna and Gilgamesh haven't returned from Dissidia 012.
I thought only I called him that. Still, neat, Kain is one of my faves
When you mentioned Star Wars, I tried thinking who would Kain reference and than for some reason immediately thought of that one Stomtrooper that goes "Traitor".

Umaro? Really? Not Mog or Celes or Locke or Shadow or Cyan or Gau or Relm or Strago or Sabin or Edgar or even Gogo? But Umaro?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I'd prefer Celes and Terra

But Locke is arguably the second main character

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The other is the story, or more specifically, the tone. It seems like they're trying to go with a darker tone, like the Adventure games (where Eggman tried murdering Sonic and Gerald Robotnik wanted to cause the apocalypse) and Shadow the Hedgehog (with the scenes of destruction and the general aesthetic of the game), but having characters like Knuckles talk about war, Tails apparently being traumatized from seeing Sonic beaten so badly, and having Eggman torture Sonic just seems weird coming from a Sonic game.
That only makes me wanna play the game even more, I like the sound of that

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
These are the characters in Dissidia NT.
Final Fantasy: Warrior of Light / Garland
Final Fantasy II: Firion / The Emperor
Final Fantasy III: Onion Knight / Cloud of Darkness
Final Fantasy IV: Cecil Harvey / Kain Highwind / Golbez None
Final Fantasy V: Bartz Klauser / Exdeath
Final Fantasy VI: Terra Branford / Kefka Palazzo
Final Fantasy VII: Cloud Strife/ Sephiroth
Final Fantasy VIII: Squall Leonhart / Ultimecia
Final Fantasy IX: Zidane Tribal / Kuja
Final Fantasy X: Tidus/ Jecht
Final Fantasy XI: Shantotto
Final Fantasy XII: Vaan
Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning
Final Fantasy XIV: Y'shtola
Final Fantasy XV: Noctis Lucis Caelum
Final Fantasy Tactics: Ramza Beoulve
Final Fantasy Type-0: Ace
Basically, as I said, all from the original Dissidia except Gabranth have returned. Meanwhile, Tifa, Prishe, Laguna, Yuna and Gilgamesh haven't returned from Dissidia 012.

When you mentioned Star Wars, I tried thinking who would Kain reference and than for some reason immediately thought of that one Stomtrooper that goes "Traitor".

Umaro? Really? Not Mog or Celes or Locke or Shadow or Cyan or Gau or Relm or Strago or Sabin or Edgar or even Gogo? But Umaro?
No one likes Vaan, they should replace him with Balthier

Edit: I guess Balthier has never appeared in Dissidia before. I could have sworn he did at one point.

I must be remembering someone else

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Good evening Trishula. Trying to join the list of anthropomorphic waifus, am I not mistaken? Are you still on the limited list? How's Brionac and Gungnir?
Waifu? I'm not married... or wanted, really. >.>

My brothers are doing fine~

-------------

Get out of character for a moment, I have thought about making remakes of the Ice Barrier monsters in some way. An archtype loosely based upon them called "Rice Barrier", plant versions. Another is maybe personification versions, but Nekroz actually did that. Although the images in question aren't armor but themselves, respectively. Most of them were female on Deviantart, so I had a few recolored from other images. Guun(Gungnir) carries a large spear. Dewey(Dewloren) uses two swords. Bryo has no weapon, but the power to bounce things all over the place. I haven't decided entirely on Trish's fighting style/weapons/abilities exactly. Dewey is also God of the Sea and can shapeshift into sea creatures.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Curious... can I ask where you are now?
I finish the first Xenoblade's story around this year's March....

Also...
Here's a Raiko gif I found...

Raiko is running towards you like a speed of lighting...
The very start of the game. Very pitfiul, I know.

I played the game for an hour back in April of last year and then I sort of procrastinated on continuing the game. Shame on me.

What I do remember the most however was the intro of the game and the very over the top anime scene. That was jokes.

D

Deleted member

TBH I like it when Sonic has a darker story.
It's one of the reasons why I still unironically enjoy Adventure 1. Of course, I don't like it when they go overboard with that kind of tone (i.e. Sonic 06), but I still prefer a darker story to a happy go lucky story like that of Generations (I loved the game but the story was its weakest point).
Edit: It's also one of the things that made me hyped for Forces intially, but I can just watch the cutscenes in Youtube for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Celes deserves better for the love of god Square give this woman a break all she does is suffer
I'd prefer Celes and Terra

But Locke is arguably the second main character
No, that would be Celes.
Terra is the protagonist for the first half and Celes for the second half
Locke is just the love interest

Ivander

Smash Legend
No one likes Vaan, they should replace him with Balthier

Edit: I guess Balthier has never appeared in Dissidia before. I could have sworn he did at one point.

I must be remembering someone else
And Japan would disagree with you there. Of course it's Japan, who else would have such taste? But that being said, Vaan has his FFTA2 outfit and FFTA2 Vaan is superior to FFXII Vaan, so that's that.
And Balthier didn't appear in Dissidia or Dissidia 012. It was Gabranth in Dissidia and Vaan & Gabranth in Dissidia 012. Balthier however did appear in Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Juuni Taisen is probably this Season's hidden gem, at least for me.
It's a Death Game anime that actually works with its premise instead of using it as just the background for the plot(yeah, you know who I'm talking about).
Like, Plot Armor? This show doesn't know what that is, all bets are off and it's pretty exciting to not have any idea on who will win, even if your favorite gets killed.
I bought the original source material, the light novel, a few weeks back. It was an interesting read, that is for sure. But it doesn't offer such an exciting experience that you mention here. The chapter perspectives give away literally every death, the titles alone would spoil any such surprise. It's a bit of a one-trick pony in that sense, there isn't even any actual "fights" in the novel because they all end before they even begin. The characters just encounter each other and suddenly end up dead, and who is next in line is ruined right away.

And as far as I know, there really isn't a plot nor is the death game explained, although the genre has always been contrived because the characters and setting are the main point, and in that regard it's pretty decent. I don't get attached to any of the characters but you're right that plot armor is largely non-existent, as for example Monkey's plan of finding a peaceful resolution is hinted at but is completely swept away with her death. Things kinda just "happen".

It stands out, but I do think there could have been more potential with the dispassionate, analytical narration of thoughts, events, and history of each character. Haven't seen the anime but I hope that element remains, and I do wonder if the fights are extended to be actual bouts instead of instantaneous death.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Balthier also got added as a DLC Champion summon in World of Final Fantasy, like Sora.

Also Episode Shadow isn't out yet on EU PSN. So I have to play pretend for now.

IMG_20171107_204055.jpg

D

Deleted member

I bought the original source material, the light novel, a few weeks back. It was an interesting read, that is for sure. But it doesn't offer such an exciting experience that you mention here. The chapter perspectives give away literally every death, the titles alone would spoil any such surprise. It's a bit of a one-trick pony in that sense, there isn't even any actual "fights" in the novel because they all end before they even begin. The characters just encounter each other and suddenly end up dead, and who is next in line is ruined right away.

And as far as I know, there really isn't a plot nor is the death game explained, although the genre has always been contrived because the characters and setting are the main point, and in that regard it's pretty decent. I don't get attached to any of the characters but you're right that plot armor is largely non-existent, as for example Monkey's plan of finding a peaceful resolution is hinted at but is completely swept away with her death. Things kinda just "happen".

It stands out, but I do think there could have been more potential with the dispassionate, analytical narration of thoughts, events, and history of each character. Haven't seen the anime but I hope that element remains, and I do wonder if the fights are extended to be actual bouts instead of instantaneous death.
I agree that the perspective ruins it most of the time but switches between them constantly throughout the episodes with the exception of the first which is all on Boar's PoV(which is mostly used to set up the tone). Some get more focus than ither's but it's generally mever stuck on one character for a long time.
I don't think the fights are the focus though, I like the fact it's a lot more about tactics and outsmarting opponents. The backstory fights are all great though, but in the competition itself only Ox vs. Horse, Rabbit vs. Monkey and Rat vs. Snake seem to be actual fights.

I thhink it's more that it actually feels like an actual death game rather than a clearly defined story going in one direction.
Like, people love to praise Akame Ga Kill for its lack of plot armor but it's so stupidly predictable(and they even start introducing more and more characters to stall the main ones).
Juuni Taisen, outside of Necessary Weasels in the form of "no backstory given=safe", feels like they're actually fighting to the death. And that's why I feel the "things just happen" works. Monkey would have survived until the end if this was any other show because they hinted at her plan and that's why her death hit me with surprise.

I just hope the ED isn't actually revealing the death order like it seems to be doing, that'd be just lame.

But the Juuni Taisen is explained, at least indirectly with the scene in episode 5(I think it's Ep5 at least). It's basically a betting game where world leaders try to gain territories.
I've finally solved the true mystery of SMO.
View attachment 133691
Can we ban users permanently if enough people report them?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Oh, UNO is now on the Switch. Need to check if it's good and has online as I really liked the one I played on the Xbox 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom