• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I really have doubts on Super Mario Odyssey getting DLC.
Because they'll have so many ideas they'll just go ahead and make Odyssey 2.

I could see that happening.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Another game like Odyssey wouldn't even warrant having the title Odyssey 2.

Galaxy 2 was titled as such because it specifically was set entirely in space again and had a story connection to the first game.

Odyssey just has you exploring different locations with no real connecting theme like any other 3D Mario.

It also means they'd be forced to bring Cappy back when they likely want to try another gimmick instead.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Galaxy 2 was titled as such because it specifically was set entirely in space again and had a story connection to the first game.

Odyssey just has you exploring different locations with no real connecting theme like any other 3D Mario.

It also means they'd be forced to bring Cappy back when they likely want to try another gimmick instead.
If the capture mechanic returns they'll probably name it Odyssey 2. If it doesn't they'll have a new hook and a new title.

But then that's separate from the whole DLC vs. sequel discussion.

Personally I think they'll opt for DLC.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
sonic forces eh?
more like sonic forces his friends to never shut the **** up about how great you are

D

Deleted member

sonic forces eh?
more like sonic forces his friends to never shut the **** up about how great you are
That's a weird way to spell Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, or Corrin's name.
yes i came up with this joke right now

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If the capture mechanic returns they'll probably name it Odyssey 2. If it doesn't they'll have a new hook and a new title.

But then that's separate from the whole DLC vs. sequel discussion.

Personally I think they'll opt for DLC.
But Odyssey wasn't called Odyssey because of the capture mechanic. It was called as such due to the whole "going all over the world" theme. So if they make a game that doesn't follow that theme, yet has the capture mechanic anyway, can you really call it an Odyssey?

The answer is no. It'd be pretty similar to calling 3D World "Galaxy 3" just because it has the space waifu in it.

And yeah, DLC is not impossible. That's how Galaxy 2's development started, after all, so it's not like DLC in a mainline Mario game is a line Nintendo never crossed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But Odyssey wasn't called Odyssey because of the capture mechanic. It was called as such due to the whole "going all over the world" theme. So if they make a game that doesn't follow that theme, yet has the capture mechanic anyway, can you really call it an Odyssey?

The answer is no. It'd be pretty similar to calling 3D World "Galaxy 3" just because it has the space waifu in it.

And yeah, DLC is not impossible. That's how Galaxy 2's development started, after all, so it's not like DLC in a mainline Mario game is a line Nintendo never crossed.
Odyssey's distinct gimmick is Cappy, "going all over the world" is like saying Super Mario World had a "food naming theme for its worlds" and that's its distinct theme. It's just a small thematic that isn't the focus of the game, Odyssey clearly focus on what you can do with Cappy

You look at Galaxy, you see space. You look at Odyssey, you see Cappy.
I mean, just look at the game's cover

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm a few levels into Forces now. I've been having fun.

Classic Sonic obviously isn't comparable to Mania but he feels decent. And the level design is good, there's a ton of different routes to take.

Customising the avatar is really fun and there are a lot of quirky parts you can unlock. I've also seen some really good ones through the Rental Hero system.

I did run into a couple of places where the controls acted a bit weird, but I wouldn't call it a problem that permeates throughout the entire game like the Polygon review did.

Also in the cutscene where Classic Sonic shows up, it plays a remix of the Mania title theme and I couldn't help but smile.

Chrono.

I said this before but Galaxy 2 always cane off to me as a game that could've easily been a DLC expansion pack if Galaxy were on a console like Wii U.

Much like Super Luigi U was to NSMBU (though that was also sold separately as it's own game).

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
BotW gets DLC, I see Odyssey following that trend. Paying extra to travel to a new kingdom or two just makes sense to me.

Isle Delfino (RIP) is all I need though. Maybe Comet Observatory as well to pay homage to all past major 3D Mario’s.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I couldn't come up with anything better.
Um, I guess I wasn't one with the force?
my jokes are always terrible tho
I've heard worse.

From one of the shows I finished the first 4 seasons of... "Let the forcefield be with you."

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Hm this Pocket Camp datamine is lookinh pretty interesting
I'm a few levels into Forces now. I've been having fun.

Classic Sonic obviously isn't comparable to Mania but he feels decent. And the level design is good, there's a ton of different routes to take.

Customising the avatar is really fun and there are a lot of quirky parts you can unlock. I've also seen some really good ones through the Rental Hero system.

I did run into a couple of places where the controls acted a bit weird, but I wouldn't call it a problem that permeates throughout the entire game like the Polygon review did.

Also in the cutscene where Classic Sonic shows up, it plays a remix of the Mania title theme and I couldn't help but smile.
Well this is making me feel more excited for my game now

Last edited:

Chrono.

So let's talk about how Materia's design is everything wrong with stereotypical JRPG female design.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I recently watch Watch MOJO's top ten games they want on Nintendo Switch. While I obviously disagree with some of their choices I do have my own list, some I think it is possible while some are just wishful thinking.

10. A Hat In Time
9. Undertale
8. Tales of Berseria
7. Cuphead
6. Persona 5
5. Skullgirls
4. Bully (the Rockstar game on the Wii)
3. Dragon Ball Fighters Z
2. Nier: Automata
1. Overwatch

Honorable mentions :
Assasins Creed Origins
Call of Duty WII
SAO:Fatal Bullet
. Hack// G. U. Last Recode
Paladins:Champions of the Realm
GTA V
Street Fighter V with all the updated content
What was their list? I imagine something dumb got first or second.

D

Deleted member

So let's talk about how Materia's design is everything wrong with stereotypical JRPG female design.
They got the base of her dress but no fabric so those small gears gotta make do.
This crisis is hitting everyone, man.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Her dress is literally just soda can rings.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

The ship was the Odyssey so if it returns the name returns

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I don't know anything about this game...but, can I say that the girl's outfit looks like a bird cage? o-o

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
That's not a terrible list tbh. I'd like to see a lot of those games on the Switch myself. At least from the main list. And imo a good handful stand a proper chance of making their way over at some point. Or at least some iteration in their franchise. Here's my list that I made off the top of my head and therefore may be forgetting some games:

10. Dead Cells
9. Beyond Good & Evil 2
8. Undertale
7. Dark Souls III/Trilogy
6. Hotline Miami
5. Overwatch
4. Kingdom Hearts III
3. GTA V
1. Final Fantasy VIIR

Didn't bother including games that afaik are exclusives like Cuphead and Persona and such, nor ones that I can't see any way in hell of getting like Cyberpunk or RDR2 or something.
At least it is way better list than Watch Mojo's if I do say so myself. That said, I did kind of forget some games too.
I didn't really include the upcoming games because the chance are a bit slim for most of them imo.
But yeah, I want Final Fantasy VII Remake as well.
What was their list? I imagine something dumb got first or second.
Watch Mojo's list wasn't too bad, but I would put Overwatch the 1st instead.
And this list some may see it dumb or think that there are more better games to be ported to Switch, while I do agree but this is obviously my list and besides my wishful thinking I also put the feasibility of these games porting to Switch into consider. If I only consider feasibility, Skullgirls might be the No 1 on my list.
Their No 1 is in my honorable mentions list...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Odyssey's distinct gimmick is Cappy, "going all over the world" is like saying Super Mario World had a "food naming theme for its worlds" and that's its distinct theme. It's just a small thematic that isn't the focus of the game, Odyssey clearly focus on what you can do with Cappy

You look at Galaxy, you see space. You look at Odyssey, you see Cappy.
I mean, just look at the game's cover
You're kind of proving my point here, because you're right, Galaxy does evoke space, which is shown through its premise, setting and level design. However, the Spin, which can be incredibly useful, is not referenced in any way on the title of either game.

Even Sunshine kind of has that, as "sunshine" evokes either summertime or a tropical place, and what is Isle Delfino? A tropical resort island. While F.L.U.D.D. does fit the overall theme of it due to being basically a versatile water cannon, it is not what the title focuses on there either. It could very well have had that name without F.L.U.D.D. because it doesn't take away the tropical setting, like how removing the Spin in Galaxy wouldn't take away the intergalactic setting.

As for Odyssey, well, I don't think it's a coincidence that the game's name is similar to that of a certain Greek epic. Both are about a man traveling the world to reach their beloved and both also have someone trying to take that beloved's hand in marriage in their plot as well. Take away Cappy and the overall premise would still justify the name of "Odyssey" because its story still shares similarites with the original Odyssey.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*opens FEH*
*Not on an Arena Rank high enough to go up a tier*
Guess Arvis will still have a use after the TT
You're kind of proving my point here, because you're right, Galaxy does evoke space, which is shown through its premise, setting and level design. However, the Spin, which can be incredibly useful, is not referenced in any way on the title of either game.

Even Sunshine kind of has that, as "sunshine" evokes either summertime or a tropical place, and what is Isle Delfino? A tropical resort island. While F.L.U.D.D. does fit the overall theme of it due to being basically a versatile water cannon, it is not what the title focuses on there either. It could very well have had that name without F.L.U.D.D. because it doesn't take away the tropical setting, like how removing the Spin in Galaxy wouldn't take away the intergalactic setting.

As for Odyssey, well, I don't think it's a coincidence that the game's name is similar to that of a certain Greek epic. Both are about a man traveling the world to reach their beloved and both also have someone trying to take that beloved's hand in marriage in their plot as well. Take away Cappy and the overall premise would still justify the name of "Odyssey" because its story still shares similarites with the original Odyssey.
Yes, the name would still make sense without Cappy, but the game and its name are associated more with the Cappy mechanic.
It's just like you said with Sunshine, the first thing people remember about it is the FLUDD, not the overall setting or thematic of the levels.

Galaxy put an emphasis on its weird varying gravity and unusual level designs, the spin was never the focus of the game.

The name doesn't really matter, but what is associated with it.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yes, the name would still make sense without Cappy, but the game and its name are associated more with the Cappy mechanic.
It's just like you said with Sunshine, the first thing people remember about it is the FLUDD, not the overall setting or thematic of the levels.

Galaxy put an emphasis on its weird varying gravity and unusual level designs, the spin was never the focus of the game.

The name doesn't really matter, but what is associated with it.
True, but since the capture mechanic has no relation with the premise, I could see a future game using that same mechanic without it being another Odyssey.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Tell me, Rosalina, of the moustached man that has travelled much, after he sacked the holy city of Toad Town
Of many people he knew the cities and their power-ups.
He suffered many pains at the underwater level, fighting for his heart and the return of his partners.
But he couldn't save his partners, how much he tried, because they ate Petey Piranha's food, the fools, and he distanced the day of their return
Start from any point, Rosalina, to tell this story

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Beat Odyssey...

My biggest complaint with the game is the temperamental camera...very annoying trying to do things and the camera just shifts randomly or I'm trying to control the camera and it doesn't go where I want it...it does make certain areas a little bit frustrating...

All in all, still a good game though...had fun playing through it...not quite a perfect 10 as many have been giving it however (then again I'm not quite as generous with my review scores as others since I wouldn't traditionally give any game a 10) but its still a solid title, Cappy's hat mechanic is by far the best thing about this game, allowing you to take over certain enemies making for some neat platforming and game design is just straight up fun as hell...

Currently mucking about in the post game right now...:4drmario:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I recently watch Watch MOJO's top ten games they want on Nintendo Switch. While I obviously disagree with some of their choices I do have my own list, some I think it is possible while some are just wishful thinking.

10. A Hat In Time
9. Undertale
8. Tales of Berseria
7. Cuphead
6. Persona 5
5. Skullgirls
4. Bully (the Rockstar game on the Wii)
3. Dragon Ball Fighters Z
1. Overwatch

Honorable mentions :
Assasins Creed Origins
Call of Duty WWII
SAO:Fatal Bullet
.Hack// G. U. Last Recode
Paladins:Champions of the Realm
GTA V
Street Fighter V with all the updated content
My top 5...

1. Crash N Sane Trilogy
2. FF7R
3. FF15
4. GTA V
5. DBFZ

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Normally I hate vocals in any vidya track.

But 1-Up Girl is just so good that I'd play it in a "regular" playlist.

The second song is terrible though, sounds like some try-hard early 2000's Disney channel music.

Been a while, Boards.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Well technically I don't see anyone taking that award away from Code of Princess anytime soon, but I will say that this is the first time I've ever seen someone dress as a Jpop lawn chair.

Also the hell is with this thread and people with next to no posts just dropping drivebys out of nowhere?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom