• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Wrong, actually. The fact that he can reach his support with Panne PRIOR to the time skip confirms that Walhart had already conquered part of Valm at the very least before moving across the rest of the continent.

Chrom didn't go to war with Walhart because he took over Valm, he went to war because Valm launched warships toward Regna Ferox, Ylisse's closest ally nation. Virion mentions he went to Ylisse to seek aid, while Cherche stayed behind. It was only after the time skip, when Walhart grew too powerful and started going across the sea, that Cherche arrived to warn Flavia.

The timeline of it all goes something like this:

Pre-Awakening: Walhart starts taking over other Valmese nations surrounding Valm itself, and expands outward. Other nations, like Rosanne, grow worried. Virion plans to offer himself to Walhart to spare his people. His people like him too much and say they'd be willing to go to war over it. Virion launches his final gambit: he flees Rosanne, so that his people view him as a coward and someone not worth fighting for, making them more likely to surrender to Walhart rather than fight and die to him. He heads to Ylisse to recruit allies while Cherche stays behind to keep an eye on Walhart's progress.

Awakening, pre-timeskip: Virion finds Chrom's allies in their first skirmish against the Risen. Virion fights alongside them and starts sowing the necessary seeds for political gains. His supports with Frederick, which can be obtained pre-timeskip, outright confirm that he aims to make political allies.

During the timeskip: Virion, biding time, stays in Ylisse. He can't return to Rosanne lest his gambit be undermined, and he waits until he hears back from Cherche to make his next move, as Walhart did not, presumably, ravage Rosanne yet. Valm is a large continent, and Walhart didn't have ample reason to rush until Validar started ruling Plegia during the skip, as his whole motivation for conquest was to stop the rise of the Grimleal. It makes sense why it took so long. Add to that that Rosanne is decently far south (it's described as fertile, Cherche walked into Wyvern Valley from Rosanne as a child, Wyvern Valley is located in what would have been modern Zofia, and Zofia was a fertile nation, ergo Rosanne is in what was once Zofia). Eventually Walhart takes Rosanne and Cherche flees to Regna Ferox. Valm launches warships toward Regna Ferox's shores.

Post-Timeskip: Virion explains his story and reveals himself as the former Duke of Rosanne, a now fallen nation. He rejoins Chrom after helping to sway him to defeat Walhart. He has now secured aid.

The issue is that your proposed timeline doesn't match up with the game itself.
One of Cordelia's supports mention Phila's death and that can be unlocked before said character actually dies in the story.
Supports aren't progress-sensitive, no support is locked until a certain point of the game and it's clear IS writes them parallelly to the story. And this isn't the only time this has happened(example: Arthur's and Elise's convos that mention Arthur having interacted with Xander inbetween them).
There's no dialogue to support the fact that Cherche had initially stayed behind either.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
All this makes me very interested to see what the uptick will be with the dramatic increase in production paired with holiday sales.

I don't think they could just sit back and start pumping out massive numbers of Switches and actually have them all sell out unassisted even with the holidays, but they've been pushing pretty hard with advertising so far and we haven't seen what rabbit they're pulling out of the hat with their holiday push.
I'm just really curious how well Nintendo Switch will sell in the holidays, it will also be the time when Switch releases in Taiwan and South Korea, so after the holiday Switch might as well get a minor sales boost during the Chinese New Year holiday since this is the time where kids... including me shamefully will get money.

With that out, here's a comparison of Weiss in RWBY Vol 4 and 5

Better shade, Weiss has more serious expression, her fingers are more natural... I guess.
This tweet reminds me a lot of Xenoblade Chronicles 2's comparison.
I also want to preorder the Xenoblade 2 Pro controller it seems that Bestbuy is the only store online that has preorder, is it better to preorder on Bestbuy?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And here are the things I found interesting.
I know VG chartz shouldn't be trusted, but it seems that Switch 6 month sales is better than 3DS DS, Xbox One, and obviously the Wii U, but still fairly lower than PS4 and Wii. Sure people will argue that DS starting to have a huge sales boom after the DS Lite launch.
Just know that the blue line is the Switch sales.

All in all I don't think 6 months really sets stone for anything since...
PS4 sells lower than 3DS... a bit
DS ,Wii sells over 100 million

But nevertheless, this chart can at least shut those people saying Switch is going to be the next Wii U.

But also notice the Switch sales line, most home consoles seems to have a significant sales drop in the 2 months period, whereas Switch is a very stable line that is even when it has stock shortages... I'm pretty sure Switch will sell even more if Nintendo didn't have those shortages.
Personally, while I think the Switch will overall be a success for Nintendo, I still feel it's a bit premature to try and deduce its lasting legacy. I mean it's barely been out for half a year. In the past there have been systems that have fallen off after a strong start, and those that have taken a good deal of time to really gain steam. Nintendo has had a very strong 2017, but let's wait until we gauge the real prosperity of the Switch.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One of Cordelia's supports mention Phila's death and that can be unlocked before said character actually dies in the story.
Supports aren't progress-sensitive, no support is locked until a certain point of the game and it's clear IS writes them parallelly to the story. And this isn't the only time this has happened(example: Arthur's and Elise's convos that mention Arthur having interacted with Xander inbetween them).
There's no dialogue to support the fact that Cherche had initially stayed behind either.

Which Cordelia support are you talking about? Stahl's is the only one I remember mentioning Phila, but it never implied she was dead by that point.

And Fates is irrelevant to Awakening's story lol.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Looking into the possible release date info on Brawlout.

It's target for the Switch version is "late 2017", they stated it's "almost ready", and still in talks with Nintendo on the final date.
And for PlayStation 4 & Xbox One: a "coming later" date

I really can't wait for this game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not about spoilers. I've played the games. Beat BR, and watched CQ when I just couldn't get myself to finish the game. The problem is that like half the roster is Fates characters. But if I don't like half the roster, I don't really want to play the game all about characters.

But I REALLY want to buy Warriors. The reviews have made it sound damn near perfect, and it's FE Warriors for Naga's sake. I've wanted this since I first played Awakening and someone told me of the idea. But I can't enjoy the damn game if the roster is from a game I hate!
So just do what I'm doing and don't buy the game at launch. Simple.

I'm personally waiting for a price drop (unlikely), until I get it as a gift (I could see my brother doing this since he knows I'm getting into FE), or until the DLC is announced and includes characters I really like personally, such as Rinkah or Silas or Arthur from Fates (also not likely and the only character we know for sure is coming is Azura, who is my literal least favourite character in the franchise right now so it's not looking good).

And I'm saying this as someone who likes most of the Fates characters chosen for Warriors. Ryoma, Takumi, Leo, and Elise are characters I really like. Anna too, if she counts. But there is still a lot I am dissatisfied with in regards to this game, so I'm not buying it.

Speak with your wallet. If you buy into the game despite knowing there are things that hamper your enjoyment and make it not worth the asking price, then you will get more of that in the future.

However, the game will still have Awakening and Shadow Dragon characters there. If you like those, I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. If you like everything else you've seen besides "you have to play as a lobster sometimes", you should still enjoy it. So go buy it in that case.

12:47
"While milord hastily gathered his valuables and guided his people out to safety. . .I alone remained to keep an eye on the valmese crisis. I was there as Roseanne was swallowed up by Walhart"
So just do what I'm doing and don't buy the game at launch. Simple.
That doesnt fix the problem at all. No matter how long I wait, the Fates characters would still be there, and still be a major part of the story, etc. I WANT to enjoy it. Plus, I'm not buying it until at least Christmas anyway. . .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Which Cordelia support are you talking about? Stahl's is the only one I remember mentioning Phila, but it never implied she was dead by that point.

And Fates is irrelevant to Awakening's story lol.
Both her supports with Stahl and Frederick

And I'n not saying the story is relevant, just that this is more common than it seems on the franchise.

There's also some of Chrom and Robin's supports mentioning a ongoing war even if there is no current war
"While milord hastily gathered his valuables and guided his people out to safety. . .I alone remained to keep an eye on the valmese crisis. I was there as Roseanne was swallowed up by Walhart"
Well, okay then
That doesnt fix the problem at all. No matter how long I wait, the Fates characters would still be there, and still be a major part of the story, etc. I WANT to enjoy it. Plus, I'm not buying it until at least Christmas anyway. . .
You can enjoy it without having played or enjoyed the games they're from.
Certainly, having played both FEA and Fates hasn't changed my opinion on FEW and it's not like most of us have played every single game represented in Smash to enjoy it.

If you want to play Warriors so much, then do the reverse: play FEW first, enjoy the characters there and then go play the game they're from

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you want to play Warriors so much, then do the reverse: play FEW first, enjoy the characters there and then go play the game they're from
Exactly.

Do what Smash makes you do.

That said this mentality made me use Rebecca in FE7 cause she's one of my favorites in FEH...

It's not as bad as forcing myself to use Ariados in HGSS but its still pretty bad.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
NBA's offseason was crazy af, thankfully it will end in some minutes and nothing else will happe-
*Fight happens at the Bulls locker room, player ends with a broken face*

What a buzzer beater.

Not me. If I see a character I hate, i'm not going to enjoy playing as them. There is a reason why I don't play ZSS, but love playing Cloud or Roy.

it's not like most of us have played every single game represented in Smash to enjoy it.
well. . .i'm only like 2 games away at this point lol :4rob::popo:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Both her supports with Stahl and Frederick

And I'n not saying the story is relevant, just that this is more common than it seems on the franchise.

There's also some of Chrom and Robin's supports mentioning a ongoing war even if there is no current war

Well, okay then

Certainly, having played both FEA and Fates hasn't changed my opinion on FEW and it's not like most of us have played every single game represented in Smash to enjoy it.

I looked at the Stahl and Frederick supports again just to be sure, but they don't outright say she's dead. They refer to her in past tense, but the context makes it fit both pre- and post-Phila's death. For Frederick, for instance, he says he "envied [Phila]." That would imply she's dead...but the next sentence says he always wantED a protégé like Cordelia, making the previous past tense seem like he stopped envying Phila rather than Phila dying.

If anything the fact that they did that for Phila makes it MORE apparent that they wanted to keep some consistency with Awakening's story and supports, even more so than in other games, as they could have made it less ambiguous if they had wanted to.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

The story represents a miniscule part of most licensed Warriors spin-off games, and I've heard FE:W is no different.

I beat the story mode of Hyrule Warriors the day it launched, but to this day, have not finished Adventure Mode, where you mostly can just play as whoever you want.

FE:W is the same, story mode is basically just a 10-hour training ground for the rest of the game where you unlock the main characters who introduce you to different playstyles.

The rest of the game is History Mode which gives you harder and more varied challenges to deal with and you can play as whoever you want pretty much.

Seriously, unless you absolutely cannot stand to look at Ryoma and Xander and friends, I don't see why this is a big issue for you. If anything, you'll get to beat them up a lot.

Like, I can't stand Celica as a character (second least favourite character in the series so far), but I'm honestly not bothered she's in the game. I think the reason she's there is dumb, and I think it's dumb she's a Marth clone (literally what's the point in her being there when an objectively more appealing version is available to me way sooner and is gonna be higher levelled and more customised by the time I get Celica? :V), but I can live with her being in the roster.

My dissatisfaction with the game comes from a "bigger picture" perspective of what this game represents to me, so I confidently keep my money in my wallet for now. If that's how you feel, then again, just don't buy the game, spend your money on something you will WHOLLY enjoy. Really though, it sounds like you're just bothered by a few characters who you didn't quite jive with that you don't have to even play as that much if you don't want to, and IMO that's a silly reason to not buy a game you would otherwise enjoy. It's like not buying Smash because Corrin is in it. Or the people who were upset by too many Fire Emblem characters being in Smash and didn't buy it as a result.

At the end of the day it's your money so...may your heart be your guiding key I guess.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not me. If I see a character I hate, i'm not going to enjoy playing as them. There is a reason why I don't play ZSS, but love playing Cloud or Roy.
But what if you enjoy characters because of their FEW appearance? Every character's appearance can be different in some key ways.

For example. I think Captain Falcon is a bore in F-Zero but love him in Smash.

There are lots of ways to like a character.

That said, I'm curious. Why do you dislike ZSS?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Man I'm not that far into Fractured But Whole and it's already gotten ****ed up.

The whole stripclub part. lol

Never mind i'm just going to read supports and watch videos.

This opening is way too slow, i'm too busy, and i'm already mad about stupid life stuff. Maybe i'll try to force myself to enjoy this game the other day. Gonna go play a game I actually enjoy, AA5.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Never mind i'm just going to read supports and watch videos.

This opening is way too slow, i'm too busy, and i'm already mad about stupid life stuff. Maybe i'll try to force myself to enjoy this game the other day. Gonna go play a game I actually enjoy, AA5.
Dude stop forcing yourself to like anything.

And stop stopping yourself from enjoying stuff.

It's clear you want Warriors but don't like Fates.

That's fine. Just buy Warriors and don't play Fates.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Maybe i'll try to force myself to enjoy this game the other day.
If you have to force yourself to like something then you should just consider not bothering with something that's just gonna piss you off again. It's not for you.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It looks to be there are 60 badges to collect in ARMS.

And while you do automatically get badges for completing requirements prior to the update, just not all of them.

And it I love that it rewards you with tokens too.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I played Smash 4 but not even Ike's charm arms are not enough to get me into FE.

You know, one of these days, I will leave Smashboards for another few months and maybe I will find the heart to try out FE again. Evolving tastes and the like.

But not today. Today, I will block out the blue haired blues and enjoy an unhealthy obsession with UT comics.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The Ghost gym in gen 2 contains a loop, it warps you back if you step in the wrong spot

So, if you are able to hold the button down with something, you can hatch eggs without having to walk back and forth somewhere.

It takes longer, but at the same time you don't have to interact with it.

I've been hatching eggs as I go about my day.

Just you have to press A occasionally when an egg hatches

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Now the NBA offseason is oficially over, and that means nothing messed up will happen in a whi-
*Dude breaks ankle really bad at the start of the first game*

MAN, WHAT THE ****.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently there are a lot of people that like that most trainers in sun/ moon had only 1 pokemon

I found it stupid

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I have my fair share of concerns for Sonic Forces, including with today's gameplay, but I hope SEGA black lists these guys. Honestly.

Holy circlejerk, Batman!

I'm too tired of the genwunner sludge that circles around Sonic like vultures to click this.

I'm feeling pretty lukewarm on Forces and I'm still more optimistic and excited than 99% of the people that discuss it. I just want to have fun with a Modern Sonic game where I can go fast and I'm not even allowed to get hype ducking under the constant trash being tossed out of drivebys.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
EDIT: Tonight I've decided to apparently be a little more sadistic than normal. Why? Don't ask. There's no good answer to it.

Anyways, I am sorry about that.
holy ****ing **** bad time to stumble into this thread, go back to talking about fire emblem and waifus and anime plz O_O
Well...

That was....

Not pleasant.
You know. That was by far the most disturbing link I've ever posted here. And it took my conscious this long to figure that out.

Like I can't sleep now.

Christ... Sorry guys.
Still messed up by the link above? Here's something to clean your mind:
My original answer to this was more sadistic than I wanted it to be.

What the **** is wrong with me this month? Hell man...
OK BUT I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THIS WAS SO BAD NOW

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What problems do people have with Sonic Forces?
It varies.

Some people just don't like the avatar concept. OC donut steel deviantART memes and all that jazz.

Some have never liked the previous "Boost formula" Sonic games, and never will.

While I think the game will be good enough, my feelings are complicated because they always are, and I know a lot of people feel the same.

While I'm a huge fan of Unleashed and Generations, which both used the same general game play formula Forces does, Forces appears to have dumbed things down. Significantly.

Modern Sonic doesn't have the drift anymore, nor can he Lightspeed Dash, so that's already two moves removed from his repertoire that limit level design possibilities compared to previous games.

As for the level design so far, even in the Modern Sonic and Avatar stages, there is an over-abundance of 2D sections. This is supposed to be the big 3D Sonic game that follows up from the Classic Sonic revival in Sonic Mania. Not only have they got Classic Sonic in Forces, who is fully 2D, but most of the Modern Sonic/Avatar gameplay shown so far has been in 2D. The only fully 3D stage so far has been the Tag Team stage. Sonic Team just has this unhealthy obsession with including 2D sections in 3D Sonic games and it needs to stop.

As well as this, even the general level design of Sonic Forces seems dumbed down, regardless of whether or not it's in 2D or 3D. 2D sections use very simplistic block platforming like Sonic Colours had, and people criticised that game for that, so it's annoying to see that back.

As for the 3D sections, well... Just compare...

Screenshot_20171018-040718.png

Screenshot_20171018-040650.png

download.jpg

shc2014_10_32.png

Sonic Forces 3D sections are the literal definition of straight line hallways in all the gameplay we have seen so far, there isn't any vastness to them and there rarely seems to be alternate pathways or areas that organically intersect with each other that made the stages feel open on Unleashed and Generations.

Even the Classic Sonic gameplay has severe automation issues where they have sections that look like a cool, momentum based set piece, but right at the end, an invisible spring will pop up out of literal THIN AIR (as in, not even stuck to the ground) to launch you to where they want you to go. They don't trust their physics engine to naturally do the job through momentum and inertia.

I'm excited for the story and the characters and the music but the gameplay has so many baffling regressions that look like a bastardisation of the games this one is supposed to be building off. It's like, they saw what detractors of the boost games would say about them, even though those accusations weren't true...but decided to actually make them true.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It looks to be there are 60 badges to collect in ARMS.

And while you do automatically get badges for completing requirements prior to the update, just not all of them.

And it I love that it rewards you with tokens too.
With update, ARMS Twitter post this artwork.
So Minmin does have a taste of fashion after all.
I also stumble upon this creepy but awesome Shulk artwork.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, some guy was talking about how awesome Ultra Sun and Moon is and how the story is COMPLETELY different from Sun and Moon with no similarities and how FULLY explorable the Ultra Space will be. With the caps and everything. How it'll be a completely different game.

When I questioned if the game would REALLY be that different the guy seemed to be offended. Then finally shouted the game deserved his hype.

So I said he could have all the hype he wanted. all the Hype-rbole

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just wish they'd do another Lost World type game and NOT give up on clever level design after the 2nd world. That'd be nice and it'd probably be a great game.

Not really interested in the Modern Modern Sonic Boost-to-Win approach anymore. Colors did platforming decently often to keep it fresh, Generations was pretty good about it as well, and Unleashed was so few and far between that you can barely get anything out of the boost levels. At least Lost World was fresh. I'll be playing Forces almost exclusively for the 2D parts, which aren't looking that great, and seeing as how the Avatar's levels are just Boost-to-Win with a gun I'll probably wait a good while before I even pick up the game at all. At least until it's on sale. That is if it's even any good to begin with.

We'll see. I'm not going to bash Forces yet. Not until I actually get to play it but I'm just kinda burned out from these types of Sonic games. They're just not all that fun.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I got bored of Lost Worlds and never finished it.I hated the mechanics of the game, specifically the homing attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom