• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Im going to strangle you if that is excatly what that is, someoneS self inserted PPG OC
We already have a literal self-insert though
Has there ever been a case where adding a new important character that far into a show worked out?
Adding new important characters to a series isn't exactly a rare Trope.
The problem comes when you add a new character to a previously estabilished group. If this character was introduced as a new character AND THEN being integrated into the main group, this'd feel more natural.
Just introducing her like this and already making her part of the main cast just feels forced and "fanfic-y".

10 bucks that OC Girl gets written out of the show soon enough.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's the blue hair that gets me.

Like... everyone else has natural hair colors.

The new girl sticks out like a very sore thumb.

Also Miss Bellum died for this....

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
One question on the new Powerpuff Girl. Uh, why is her head so ****ing big?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
One question on the new Powerpuff Girl. Uh, why is her head so ****ing big?
Honestly she looks much older than the other girls.

She's probably a teen.

Oh gosh, that makes it worse.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I guess we're getting a 4th Powerpuff Girl (5th if you wanna count Bunny). Because apparently these people didn't see that adding **** was what ruined Fairly Odd Parents.

It'll probably be undone later on.
What the actual heck? Is there really a need for this? It clearly looks like a writer wanted to get their OC into this mess.

Then again, it's not like I care when this reboot was bad the moment we started seeing Bubbles with a troll face...

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Powerpuff Girls Forces confirmed.

Actually, that turned out to be false. The writer didn't even work on the character's debut episode if you look at the credits

Thank ****. Still, every episode where he appears becomes unberable.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I guess we're getting a 4th Powerpuff Girl (5th if you wanna count Bunny). Because apparently these people didn't see that adding **** was what ruined Fairly Odd Parents.

It'll probably be undone later on.
What's funny is knowing of the people that make the show that is the most obvious design you'd think they'd make for a character

It's practically meme worthy

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Happy to see Ike win the gauntlet, supported him from the start. Plus now we have supports and horse emblem just got more fun!

Why are history teachers always so fun?

ALSO WE'RE FINALLY COVERING **** THAT MY TERRIBLE SCHOOL SYSTEM WOULD GLOSS OVER

BYZANTINE EMPIRE, INDIA, PERSIA, ETC

I know most people dont care for history, but im glad to be able to go over some of these topics since my other history classes have been **** outside US history

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

ALSO WE'RE FINALLY COVERING **** THAT MY TERRIBLE SCHOOL SYSTEM WOULD GLOSS OVER

I know most people dont care for history, but im glad to be able to go over some of these topics since my other history classes have been **** outside US history
My history teacher in college hated me because he always saw me drawing in class, then when the tests came around I aced them

Apparently afterward he changed his entire teaching style based on his frustration of just me passing his class

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I get the impression that this might be one of those situations where show writers attempt to shield themselves from criticism about a shoddy character by making them a minority banking on the idea that anyone that complains about them will be ripped to shreds by the Tumblr community for being a bigot.

I wish I wasn't that cynical, but animated minority characters that actually have thought and care into them instead of being hollow cash ins strike me as rare and her design clashes with that of the other Powerpuff Girls in pretty much every way except her skin color. I don't trust the team working on the Powerpuff Girls reboot to have the skill to write a new character effectively. I wouldn't mind a PoC Powerpuff Girl due to it not making any arbitrary changes to existing characters and how they're created making it perfectly feasible, but making her a different size and giving her hair shine details the others don't have is throwing up warning signals.

I wish more shows would do like Steven Universe does with Connie and make their PoC characters actually feel like actual people with meaningful roles instead of just a gimmick. "Hey look, my character is SPECIAL, wanna guess why?!" doesn't really inspire confidence in me that respect will be given to the character.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
A new girl in The Powerpuff Girls reboot?

There are only two acceptable results for this: Bunny or the "Perfect Little Girl" from the orignal's pilot back when it called "Whoop*** Stew!"

Even if they did these, I still ain't watching the show.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still wish my school system would teach about literally anything about Asia and Africa because all I know about them is post-WWII Japan and Africa getting gang ***** by Europe. And stuff like Australia, Persia and most of Latin America gets only a passing mention.
I get that it's impossible to teach all of history in just middle school and high school but c'mon, I've seen national history so many goddamn times this feels like watching reruns of a show you never liked.
I get the impression that this might be one of those situations where show writers attempt to shield themselves from criticism about a shoddy character by making them a minority banking on the idea that anyone that complains about them will be ripped to shreds by the Tumblr community for being a bigot.
I don't get where this kind of idea comes from because, if anything, the fandoms in Tumblr are the most critical about cartoons.

I still wish my school system would teach about literally anything about Asia and Africa because all I know about them is post-WWII Japan and Africa getting gang ***** by Europe. And stuff like Australia, Persia and most of Latin America gets only a passing mention.
I get that it's impossible to teach all of history in just middle school and high school but c'mon, I've seen national history so many goddamn times this feels like watching reruns of a show you never liked.

I don't get where this kind of idea comes from because, if anything, the fandoms in Tumblr are the most critical about cartoons.

Africa has not existed for every year of elementary, middle, and High school

Africa. The entire continent of Africa. Gone. Unless it involved the Triangle Trade or Mesopotamia Africa did not exist. Nah we needed to go over the revolutionary war for the 3rd year in a row.

So happy Africa is on the Syllabus

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

In retrospect the thought process that lead me to that idea was pretty shoddy, but if I could fall under that assumption a hack writer certainly could. There's a definite "look at how good we are at representing" attitude with some shows, whether people will see through it and point out the issue or start blindly defending the character is beyond my ability to predict.

. . .Unless I look it up, of course.

https://angel-baez.tumblr.com/post/165050433702/hi-everyone-meet-my-powerpuff-girls-oc-shes

Oh good you're right faith in humanity does exist.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is why old cartoons shouldn't get rebooted
The problem is that the original creator had no input into it and practically no one involved with the original are involved either.

Reboots can work, but only if the people making them love/ have passion toward the original or were part of the original team, specifically the creator

The team working on PPG reboot have neither

---

Unless it's DuckTales.

That's pretty damn good.
Yeah, ducktales is looking likes it's going to be pretty good.

Just, the duck kid's voices kind of bug me

THAT team seems to have passion toward the comics and original series

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Yeah, ducktales is looking likes it's going to be pretty good.

Just, the duck kid's voices kind of bug me

THAT team seems to have passion toward the comics and original series
The triplets' voices are the only thing that still bugs me, but I gotten somewhat used to it.

David Tenant as Scrooge on the other hand, is brilliant. He's no Alan Young, but he is a great successor to him. There's one particular scene in the first episode where Tenant just knocks it out of the park.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm fine with the triplet's voices in DuckTales.

Scrooge's I'm still trying to get use to, though.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My 5 year old nephew was bugged by the voices of the duck kids

First thing he said when I asked him if he liked the cartoon

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
im just looking at the 5th powerpuffgirl here and thinking
"oh no did one of the bootlegs escape from that one episode with dr ****"

that episode was ****ed in so many ways

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
My only real issue with the triplets' voices in the reboot is that I wish they made more of an attempt to make them sound "duckish". To at least make them sound somewhat close to their original voices.

I'm fine with giving them different voices to make them stand out, but I feel they're a bit too different.

Even Tenant's Scrooge, despite being a different take, still has hints of Alan Young in it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
And about the new PPG member.....

Yeah...this is almost certainly gonna mess with the dynamics of the characters.

The only reason I'm not totally against the idea is because adding new main characters to an original existing core cast can go a few different ways.

Sometimes, they bring something nice, fresh and new to the table, not messing with the way the show works, meshing with the cast nicely and still standing out as a good character on their own.

Other times, they mess with the main dynamics of the show and the main characters a little too much, changing things either for the worse or, naturally, in a way that divides the fanbase, as change often does anyway. That's not even getting into the fact that a new character can simply turn out to be a bad, poorly written character all on their own.

I think FoP suffers from the latter case quite a lot.

The first episode is available on Disney XD's YouTube channel.
Disney XD has the entire thing on their YouTube channel, fyi.
Thanks for the info! I might just use that to watch it, when I've got a good time to do so.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm seeing ads for Samus Returns all over Youtube and I'm loving it...

Either way, since my 3DS reminded me of their existence and that they have demos available, I decided to try out Hey! Pikmin and Miitopia...even though I don't have much of an interest in either game, may as well try out the demos...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So we have some context on pokemon Switch:

Sounds like it could be pretty interesting.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My tooth hurt so I flossed

When I flossed my gums started bleeding

I think they are still bleeding

The pain in my tooth is gone and replaced by pain where I flossed

And Ironically I just read that flossing your teeth and causing them to bleed can cause issues.

So I might have just made a non problem into a problem by trying to fix it

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
My tooth hurt so I flossed

When I flossed my gums started bleeding

I think they are still bleeding

The pain in my tooth is gone and replaced by pain where I flossed

And Ironically I just read that flossing your teeth and causing them to bleed can cause issues.

So I might have just made a non problem into a problem by trying to fix it
Sounds like gingivitis, It would hurt like hell and bleed when I flossed and brushed

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Did. . .did a new Square meme just start?

I don't see it in my Square yet but it's blowing up all over Twitter. I'm almost scared to ask where it came from. . .

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
What meme is going on now?
"This symbol means everything to me."

Part of me is tempted to jump on but considering the constant discourse I have a mental image of what symbol probably started that and I don't want to be a terrible person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom