• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Eliwood also gets a horse and lances, that alone makes him better than 'he gets a REALLY good endgame weapon'
I'm talking about how he'd be in Smash
Fire sword and red hair, though his would be bigger
Eliwood also got a professional translator to property create a new personality.

If Roy has gotten official translation, he'd probably have more than his personality he has now. After all, his personality is actually a positive thing in Japan.
Eliwood already presented a personality though
Unless you want to tell me his mourning for his father and friendship with Hector, and many other things, were all added in the localisation

The FE6 translation patch is basically 1:1 meaning Roy has no personality even in japan. And how is being bland a positive thing in Japan?
I had to bench Azura because of how she could only chip things and get OHKO'd back
I bet you bench all of your Dancers then if you want them to kill things

Last edited by a moderator:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Azura is the Micaiah of Fates, but worse unless you promote her. Then there's how poorly inserted she for the plot (like the crystal ball scene).

And I can feel Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan 's rage in the distance.
Meh, I would only rage if you **** on Yomi.

As for Azura, I'm aware of how Conquest screwed her over mechanically and by poor writing. Revelation and Birthright treated her better.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Azura is the Micaiah of Fates, but worse unless you promote her. Then there's how poorly inserted she for the plot (like the crystal ball scene).

And I can feel Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan 's rage in the distance.
Forget Yomi.

Azura screws up the plot a lot and I'm more salty over her and Michaiah being in the Top 10 over Anna, Tiki, Mia, Robin and others than people looking their minds over Nowi

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm talking about how he'd be in Smash
Fire sword and red hair, though his would be bigger

Eliwood already presented a personality though
Unless you want to tell me his mourning for his father and friendship with Hector, and many other things, were all added in the localisation

The FE6 translation patch is basically 1:1 meaning Roy has no personality even in japan. And how is being bland a positive thing in Japan?

I bet you bench all of your Dancers then if you want them to kill things
Ninian/Nils were great and I ****ing love Tethys
Also, speaking of Eliwood and ****
This is pretty accurate considering Hector gets 5 Res when promoting.
Seriously, 5 whole Res is kinda ****ed up

I miss 99% dodge rate dancers.
being able to do like 5 damage every once in a while never feels worth it when you could not attack but never get hit. Ever

Maybe I just miss Ninian lol

Fire sword
But Eliwood doesnt get the Sword of Seals?

Well I might as well say why I like Roy.
-Cool design (well every lord has that but still)
-nostalgia from playing in melee
-Doesn't need to be "babied" as much some people asy
-FE6 is my current favorite FE
-After I stopped using that garbage translation patch and used the better one, what he said was relatively enjoyable
-Is leading an army as a kid in what is pretty much a World War lol
:061:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I miss 99% dodge rate dancers.
being able to do like 5 damage every once in a while never feels worth it when you could not attack but never get hit. Ever

Maybe I just miss Ninian lol

But Eliwood doesnt get the Sword of Seals?

Well I might as well say why I like Roy.
-Cool design (well every lord has that but still)
-nostalgia from playing in melee
-Doesn't need to be "babied" as much some people asy
-FE6 is my current favorite FE
-After I stopped using that garbage translation patch and used the better one, what he said was relatively enjoyable
-Is leading an army as a kid in what is pretty much a World War lol
Durandel's the Blazing Blade.
Now that I think about it, Eliwood would fit Roy better as Roy was slower, and Eliwood gets slowed down because of how heavy Durandel is

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
After looking through some of the lists a couple fans over at Serenes posted, I found some nice fun facts about the poll:
-None of the lords dropped out of the top 10 of their respective series, if you count Corrin and Robin as one character, then none of them were out of the top 5.

-The only game where a lord was not at the top spot was Fates, with Camilla beating Corrin rather soundly (even when the two are combined).

-Major Villains (Final bosses and manipulators) did pretty poorly on the poll, with very few of them breaking past the bottom half of their respective games, the only exception to this was BK, Grima, Arvis, Zephiel, and Lyon, and Grima barely broke into the top half. Of them, BK is easily the most popular villain in the franchise, placing at 54 even if his votes aren't combined, and around the 28th spot if they were.

-Fates had the most characters in the top 100 even when combining votes, with 35 of them breaking into the list.

-Combining votes, the top 10 most popular Tellius characters are Ike, Micaiah, Nephenee, Mia, BK, Soren, Titania, Haar, Illyana, and Elincia, with Ranulf and Jill (11th and 12th respectively) managing to sneak into the top 100 in general. Micaiah is the most interesting of this bunch since she's the only one that doesn't appear in both Tellius games, yet she manages to hold onto her second place position among them.

-For the Akaneia games, the top 5 with combined votes are Marth, Tiki, (Anna), Caeda, Navarre, and Minerva, with Ogma and Catria managing to make the top 100 overall. Interestingly enough, Akaneia characters overall did not benefit as much from the combined voting unlike their Tellius counterpart and certain characters like Severa/Selena or Finn.

-The most popular shapeshifter in the franchise is Tiki if her votes are combined, otherwise it's Nowi. Selkie, Kaden, and Keaton round out the rest of the top five of that group.

-The most popular flying unit in the franchise is Camilla, even if votes are combined. The top 10 flying units are Camilla, Cordelia, Caeda, Hinoka, Cherche, Florina, Haar, Minerva, Elincia, and Caeldori with Sumia, Jill, Tana, and Catria making up the rest in the top 100. Interestingly enough, while Wyvern Riders tend to be more popular as units, character-wise Pegasus Knights had the clear win just going by the top 100 as 9 Pegasus Knights (or similar in the case of Elincia) were present within that ranking whereas only 5 Wyvern Riders placed within the ranking.

-Even if the votes are combined, Dorcas still manages to be in the top 25 characters of the franchise, he also still manages to hold onto his 12th spot among the males even with the shifts above and below him.

Michaiah is the only hated Lord. Outside of Corrin maybe.

Roy isn't hated but his fans get the **** moreso than the character himself.

Agreed. But overall worst character in the series is Azura.
I'd honestly say Corrin is more hated then Micaiah nowadays, mostly because she does seem to have more defenders then the former (unless you're talking about Female Corrin's design apparently).

But yeah, the general feeling towards Roy is more of indifference then hate, mostly because his personality doesn't seem to leave an impression on most fans.

Meh, I would only rage if you **** on Yomi.

As for Azura, I'm aware of how Conquest screwed her over mechanically and by poor writing. Revelation and Birthright treated her better.
My biggest issue with Azura is that she's essentially an exposition bot and plot device, she really only has a role whenever it comes to explaining things or when we need her magical powers to do things. Outside of that, she doesn't give too much of her character in the story as she's just there to be mysterious. Supports are better for her since it allows her to interact with the other characters and show more parts of herself (ex. her telling Sakura ghost stories), but not everyone is going to look at that and she shouldn't have had those traits restricted to them.

The fact that she also is responsible for what happens in Conquest and pretty much withholds important information about the background of the war that could end it also doesn't help and makes her look just as bad as Corrin in the plot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder how diferent fates would be is a different character is the main lord like Niles, Jakob, Takumi or Leo
I would like that, I like protagonists that have characteristic's other than, well, ones that only come with being the main character.

Eliwood's personal sword, Durandal, is the eponymous Blazing Blade of FE7.
Durandel's the Blazing Blade.
Now that I think about it, Eliwood would fit Roy better as Roy was slower, and Eliwood gets slowed down because of how heavy Durandel is
But it doesn't literally 420 blaze does it?

I just assumed it was named that because it was a prequel to the game with a reference to a sword on fire

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Forget Yomi.

Azura screws up the plot a lot and I'm more salty over her and Michaiah being in the Top 10 over Anna, Tiki, Mia, Robin and others than people looking their minds over Nowi
I was going to spare you, but now you are asking for a Critical Hit for insulting Yomi.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I just assumed it was named that because it was a prequel to the game with a reference to a sword on fire
And Nidhogg doesn't shoot a big ass snake, your point? Besides, Smash would take liberties
I just realized something else that has Eliwood make more sense than Roy, SoS has 2 range yet Roy never uses that in Smash, Durandel doesn't have 2 range so it'd be fair game for Eliwood

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Because certain qualities don't translate across cultures.

Like how stoic in Japan means you're a leader when that rarely means that here.

He isn't bland over there.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Can well all just agree that Corrin is the worst Lord and call it a day?

No? :lol:
Corrin has worst writing. Background-wise, they're more interesting. I like characters who are moral and become conflicted in their choices and actions compared to some of the other Lords who have very little hesitation and very little regret. Hey, who knows? Maybe in the future, Fates' story could be rewritten and Corrin may be written much better compared to the original. Hey, anything is possible. I mean, we all doubted Cloud and Bayonetta in Smash, RE2 Remake and FFVII Remake. Blizzard made a new IP after how so many years. Anything is possible nowadays.
Regardless, all I'm saying is that I prefer a character being conflicted with what to choose, what to do and thinking upon their actions and choices compared to a character taking the "obvious route" and "Have fun storming the castle and the Dark Lord!"

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer

They mention in the chapter you get it from in FE6 that it's associated with fire, hence the name "Blazing Blade". Like how Armads is the "Thunder Axe", even though it doesn't actually shoot out huge volts of electricity.

"1:1 translations are the worst and we should never want them"
- this thread

"FE6 was patched 1:1 so it's proof Roy is boring!"
-also this thread

and only like 2 of us know any japanese to prove it!
Besides, Smash would take liberties
Seems to me that making a sword that originally has no special powers just bursting into flames like an unrelated sword seems like a lot more than liberty

And I know Liberty since Arthur is my avi!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like, I want to get mad with Azura for her character but... as an unit, she's probably THE best Dancer in the whole series
>Can defend herself with Lances
>All Naginatas give a +1 Def/Res boost
>Passive healing skill
>+3 Skl/Spd/Lck when dancing
>Aura skills to lower enemy damage
>Access to Amaterasu through reclassing, boosting her passive healing
>Access to Warp through the Witch class
Eliwood would fit Roy better as Roy was slower,
I am now picturing Roy wielding Eliwood as a sword
Thanks for that

Blazing Sword is also the name of the chapter you get Durandal in FE6
Also, much like the other Legendary Weapons, it's associated with an element, like Armads is to Thunder and Maltet is to Ice

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Seems to me that making a sword that originally has no special powers just bursting into flames like an unrelated sword seems like a lot more than liberty

And I know Liberty since Arthur is my avi!
Considering that Smash has also had Lucario gain a non-existent ability that has his power scale with damage, the Duck Hunt Dog team up with the duck he's supposed to be hunting, Ness and Lucas steal 'get taught' most of their PK attacks from the girls, among other things, I don't think it'd be too out of place for a sword that's called the Blazing Blade to be able to use fire abilities.

With that said, I'm not saying that Roy should be replaced with Eliwood as I don't have any stake in that argument, just that it's not impossible for the sword Eliwood is wielding to use Fire if Sakurai allowed it.

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Then that's settled.

Going to start with spinoff Mario characters by noon now that all possible riggers were blocked.
Question on your polls: is there a reason Impa got snubbed out of being in your Zelda poll? To me she's far and away the most likely candidate, especially if she has a big role in BOTW's story like many believe she does.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Like, I want to get mad with Azura for her character but... as an unit, she's probably THE best Dancer in the whole series
>Can defend herself with Lances
>All Naginatas give a +1 Def/Res boost
>Passive healing skill
>+3 Skl/Spd/Lck when dancing
>Aura skills to lower enemy damage
>Access to Amaterasu through reclassing, boosting her passive healing
>Access to Warp through the Witch class
I see all that and raise you FE4 dancers, who can refresh 4 units at a time.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
- this thread

-also this thread

and only like 2 of us know any japanese to prove it!
This so hard.

It's frankly ridiculous.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
Still don't get why Roy is so popular.

I don't have any reason to like him. Is he funny in his game or something.

What if your a fan of all 4 like me? :p
1.Lucina 2. Tharja 3.Camilla 4.Lyn in that order out of those tho :p.
For me Roy is the reason I started playing Fire Emblem, he was one of my four favourite melee characters so when I first saw that a Fire Emblem game was released outside of Japan I tried it. Also at first I thought Eliwood was Roy so that helped

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Is Uplay not working for everyone or is it just me?

I really wanna try the For Honor game, if it works on my laptop. It's downloaded through steam but can't play without Uplay >.>

edit: After not working for like 5 mins and just after I posted this...it decided to work. great.

Anyway thanks y'all. I now have the insight of Roys fanbase in Japan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because certain qualities don't translate across cultures.

Like how stoic in Japan means you're a leader when that rarely means that here.

He isn't bland over there.
Roy isn't stoic
Otherwise he'd open up with close friends like Lilina or Wolt but he doesn't
He just doesn't have a personality
- this thread

-also this thread
I don't see how that's a contradiction
Yes, 1:1 translations are bad, but it still serves to prove that Roy is really like that in Japan
Gods, I'd actually love if the FE6 translation team took liberties and redid Roy's character

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Question on your polls: is there a reason Impa got snubbed out of being in your Zelda poll? To me she's far and away the most likely candidate, especially if she has a big role in BOTW's story like many believe she does.
Same reason why Dixie suddenly got shafted by the Cranky and Funky fans.

I honestly expected Impa to get a lot of support, but she was ignored in favor of Midna and Tingle votes. Hell, even Lana for some reason beat her.

Maybe most of my hardcore followers aren't big Zelda fans and believe she would be a Sheik clone (which is BS at its finest). I kind of wished there were bigger Impa fans following me.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Excuse me?
Like is it an AOE around the dancer or something

That's ****ing crazy
Yep. All 4 adjacent units will be refreshed.

Also worth noting is Feena, who in FE3 gets access to rapiers and can actually be made a monster in combat thanks to FE3's universal stat caps and Star Shards + statboosters.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Same reason why Dixie suddenly got shafted by the Cranky and Funky fans.

I honestly expected Impa to get a lot of support, but she was ignored in favor of Midna and Tingle votes. Hell, even Lana for some reason beat her.

Maybe most of my hardcore followers aren't big Zelda fans and believe she would be a Sheik clone (which is BS at its finest). I kind of wished there were bigger Impa fans following me.
I thought most American Zelda fans hated Tingle's guts? Unless they just want to see the world burn.

Also, who the **** still thinks Dixie would be a Diddy Clone in 2017?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like Tingle ironically because I'm a hipster edgelord

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm just happy Lon'qu made Top 20...while both Tharja and Cordelia are in the Top 10 for their respective genders...

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
So what does this even have to do with Roy???
He's saying Roy's personality doesn't transfer over well and then gave an example of a common personality that doesn't transfer over well to demonstrate that personalities not transferring over well is pretty common.

To balance this out by providing another example, I saw a discussion on Squidboards with people criticizing Callie and Marie for being made "more ridiculous" in the localization and other people pointing out they were actually meant to be funny in Japan as well but they were changed because people don't understand what's so funny about boke tsukkomi routines in the west.

The point he's trying to make is that Japanese personalities don't transfer over all that well sometimes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

This is what Stoic means

literally, his name is stoick

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I feel like increasing Sophia to 2 stars but then i'd have to level her up again to level 20 to increase to 3 stars.
Same for Anna but to 4 stars.

BUT. I can't be asked... I have 2 other teams of characters I'm leveling up just cos. Well Tiki and Nowi I really want them to be strong and be in one of my primary teams.

Oboro, Cain, Selena for potential variety since e.g I don't have a red sword user on foot.
Leveling up Olivia cos I wanna play around with her Dance ability and Nino cos she's the best looking and prob only Green mage I have. Serra is a better healer than Wrys but I find her annoying so shes gonna get replaced sooner or later.

20k feathers for 4 star to 5 star is ridiculous but fair enough....

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Got enough green badges to rank up Nino to 4*. :D

Wondering if I should rank up another 3* or wait until I have the feathers/badges to rank up a 4*.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom