• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That'd be a bad idea. You're an Ace Attorney fan, so you'd have a leg up. :p
You see that man with the mustache in your avi?

He works for me.

He's been shadowing you so I could get a good case going.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The is beyond dumb,
If you're talking about what I'm thinking you're talking about, I had to spin dash to get it to work. It wasn't 100%, but at least it had a chance of doing something.

After that the fight stops being stupid, but the stage after is a nope that leads into a nope that leads into a nope and that was just for Act 1 before I decided I'd had about enough for right then.

Someone help me be less nope or somethin'.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I feel like Unleashed was a transition to a degree, but overall the two formulas tend to have a very different feel when I play them.

They both have linear 3D setpiece chutes in places, but Boost is essentially dominated by 2D gameplay while Adventure is strictly 3D all the way though.

Hubworlds aren't really critical to the type of formula, but the rapid degradation of them from 3D exploration areas to glorified level select screens post-Unleashed is also pretty noticeable. The main carry-overs that managed to survive the purge have been the letter based scoring system with victory animation and small details like Eggman's '06 leitmotif surviving into Unleashed and Colors.
I was more just talking about the major gameplay mechanics.

The 2D sections are obviously the biggest difference, but other than that, the Boost formula was derivative of the Adventure formula.

You still run, jump, collect rings, homing attack, Light Speed Dash, and slide (SA2, Heroes, and '06 had it, a lot of people seem to forget though).

Unleashed just added a few moves to the formula and of course tweaked the general feel of Sonic once again, just like every 3D Sonic game beforehand (SA1 and SA2 feel reasonably similar to each other, but Heroes and '06, which are both considered part of "the Adventure fomula/era", felt completely different in terms of Sonic's general kinaesthetics).

Most of the moves they added were a direct response to complaints with Adventure and Heroes and such as well. Quick Step to avoid obstacles more easily, and Sonic Drift for making turns more easily. Wall Jumping for making platforming a little easier and giving you extra leeway when you miss a jump. Stomping for making easier landings (though SA1, SA2, and '06 all had their own version of this).

The Boost was also, in essence, a derivative of the Spin Dash - both are essentially the "go fast and barrel through stuff" button. This is especially true when talking about SA1's Spin Dash - while it may have been unintentional, the Spin Dash in SA1 allowed you to quickly gain speed by mashing it while running, you didn't even need to charge it. You could reach speeds comparable to Unleashed this way, and much like the Boost, you didn't have to use it from a standstill, so it ends up serving a really similar function.

Of course, there's differences in level design philosophies and things like musical direction and art direction, but when discussing the pure gameplay mechanics, and what Sonic can do and what your objectives are as a player, it's the definition of building off of what was there before.

Like when I first boot up Unleashed and play a Sonic stage after playing the previous games, I'm not here thinking "WOOOAH THIS IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT, I HAVE TO RE-LEARN EVERYTHING". It's still pretty familiar, but it has a few new things I can do and a few nuances that are changed around. It's less of a Super Mario World to Super Mario 64, and more of a Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Galaxy.

Chrono.

If you're talking about what I'm thinking you're talking about, I had to spin dash to get it to work. It wasn't 100%, but at least it had a chance of doing something.

After that the fight stops being stupid, but the stage after is a nope that leads into a nope that leads into a nope and that was just for Act 1 before I decided I'd had about enough for right then.

Someone help me be less nope or somethin'.
Wasn't it Hydrocity after Stardust Speedway? I didn't think it was bad, just pretty boring.

Hilarious bosses tho.
Getting real sick of season pass' getting announced so early.
Especially when your entire roster consists of port overs from the arcade version (afawk anyway).

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I was more just talking about the major gameplay mechanics.

The 2D sections are obviously the biggest difference, but other than that, the Boost formula was derivative of the Adventure formula.

You still run, jump, collect rings, homing attack, Light Speed Dash, and slide (SA2, Heroes, and '06 had it, a lot of people seem to forget though).

Unleashed just added a few moves to the formula and of course tweaked the general feel of Sonic once again, just like every 3D Sonic game beforehand (SA1 and SA2 feel reasonably similar to each other, but Heroes and '06, which are both considered part of "the Adventure fomula/era", felt completely different in terms of Sonic's general kinaesthetics).

Most of the moves they added were a direct response to complaints with Adventure and Heroes and such as well. Quick Step to avoid obstacles more easily, and Sonic Drift for making turns more easily. Wall Jumping for making platforming a little easier and giving you extra leeway when you miss a jump. Stomping for making easier landings (though SA1, SA2, and '06 all had their own version of this).

The Boost was also, in essence, a derivative of the Spin Dash - both are essentially the "go fast and barrel through stuff" button. This is especially true when talking about SA1's Spin Dash - while it may have been unintentional, the Spin Dash in SA1 allowed you to quickly gain speed by mashing it while running, you didn't even need to charge it. You could reach speeds comparable to Unleashed this way, and much like the Boost, you didn't have to use it from a standstill, so it ends up serving a really similar function.

Of course, there's differences in level design philosophies and things like musical direction and art direction, but when discussing the pure gameplay mechanics, and what Sonic can do and what your objectives are as a player, it's the definition of building off of what was there before.

Like when I first boot up Unleashed and play a Sonic stage after playing the previous games, I'm not here thinking "WOOOAH THIS IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT, I HAVE TO RE-LEARN EVERYTHING". It's still pretty familiar, but it has a few new things I can do and a few nuances that are changed around. It's less of a Super Mario World to Super Mario 64, and more of a Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Galaxy.
Ah, so the thing here is that we're approaching this from different angles.

Honestly when it comes to how I personally judge each game level design philosophy is the most important part. Really even the mechanics of Modern Sonic as a whole are an extension of Classic in turn, it's just that Modern uses the homing attack and the Boost end uses boost with less static additions to each as well. Rush IIRC is the first Boost game chronologically strictly by mechanics, but since it's a handheld game instead of one of the "big boy" games it's not typically taken into consideration by people. And DS/3DS titles tend to themselves have a fully 2D level design philosophy outside of some grind rail sections.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I also wanted to quit, but I wanted to give him a fair chance. But yeah, the beginning is really obnoxious. And there is sadly other part like this in the video.
I kept watching, and yeah, the video got much better.

It's a decent video, but man that first 7 minutes was painful.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Kanto is not back, but a certain bull**** element from that region apparently is.
As someone pointed out watch them be like:

"Kukui modeled all the gyms after Kanto based on that being the only gym experience he had"

I can see this totally happen.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Getting real sick of season pass' getting announced so early.
To be fair, the arcade version of Dissidia is still active and being updated with new content, beyond the release of the console version, so we knew updates and new content would come to this game.

So I think the season pass characters will just be ones that are finished up for the arcade version after the release of the console version. Getting the free season pass is just sorting yourself out for those characters early.

Granted, they said they want to get a 50 character roster going for this game, but they're not even close to that yet. So we'll see how far they go with post-game stuff.

Really even the mechanics of Modern Sonic as a whole are an extension of Classic in turn, it's just that Modern uses the homing attack and the Boost end uses boost with less static additions to each as well.
Thank you for saying this, truly.

Makes me more confident that I'm not crazy.

Me saying this on Sonic Stadium was what really got the flames going, lol.

Chrono.

"Kukui modeled all the gyms after Kanto based on that being the only gym experience he had"

I hope not because that feels like a major cop out.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Game Freak: "Hey guys, want to take pictures of Pokémon again?"
Fans: "You mean Pokémon Snap 2???"
Game Freak: "nope.avi"

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well this is awkward.

The Sonic Mania Collector's Edition statue has a real LED where the mock "Power On" display is. Connecting it to the PCB with the correct wiring makes it actually light up.

Wonder why they didn't just wire it up and make it turn on and off with the switch that's already on it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
To be fair, the arcade version of Dissidia is still active and being updated with new content, beyond the release of the console version, so we knew updates and new content would come to this game.

So I think the season pass characters will just be ones that are finished up for the arcade version after the release of the console version. Getting the free season pass is just sorting yourself out for those characters early.

Granted, they said they want to get a 50 character roster going for this game, but they're not even close to that yet. So we'll see how far they go with post-game stuff.

Thank you for saying this, truly.

Makes me more confident that I'm not crazy.

Me saying this on Sonic Stadium was what really got the flames going, lol.
Let me guess, they got ruffled at anyone daring to say their Classic games had anything in common with Modern?

I can imagine. . .

3D Pit.png

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

I hope not because that feels like a major cop out.
>Invisible Walls
>Teleporter Maze
>Spinning Tiles

Kukui, you ****er!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Let me guess, they got ruffled at anyone daring to say their Classic games had anything in common with Modern?

I can imagine. . .

View attachment 132212
I basically casually said something to the effect of "I'm reasonably optimistic for Forces (Project 2017 at the time) because I'm sure whatever gameplay style they go with, be it new or old, will be reasonably polished and will generally have the same elements of speed, exploration and platforming that all of the other games have. How much I like it will depend on how well those elements are balanced in the level design, but the core Sonic games generally have a lot of similar fundamental mechanics so I'm not worried about that as much".

Cue a 5-page or so, argumentative flame fest that ended in the mods threatening to suspend me, even though I was the only one who didn't get riled up over this. Hell, some of the mods were swearing me off (Sonic Stadium doesn't even have a swear filter either) in previous pages for what I thought of the Sonic games and how similar/different they were to one another in different aspects.

Keep in mind I wasn't even saying "this game is better than that game" or anything of the sort. Literally, just "different Sonic games do feel different but not always to such a point where I feel like I'm in completely new territory".

I just flat out left the site after that, I don't want to even bother with a community like that. Granted, I should have known better than to hope it would be a cool place to talk about Sonic. I follow someone on tumblr who happened to be an ex-member of staff there, and I've seen them rant over the years about how terrible the community there could be and how that was the reason they stepped down.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I basically casually said something to the effect of "I'm reasonably optimistic for Forces (Project 2017 at the time) because I'm sure whatever gameplay style they go with, be it new or old, will be reasonably polished and will generally have the same elements of speed, exploration and platforming that all of the other games have. How much I like it will depend on how well those elements are balanced in the level design, but the core Sonic games generally have a lot of similar fundamental mechanics so I'm not worried about that as much".

Cue a 5-page or so, argumentative flame fest that ended in the mods threatening to suspend me, even though I was the only one who didn't get riled up over this. Hell, some of the mods were swearing me off (Sonic Stadium doesn't even have a swear filter either) in previous pages for what I thought of the Sonic games and how similar/different they were to one another in different aspects.

Keep in mind I wasn't even saying "this game is better than that game" or anything of the sort. Literally, just "different Sonic games do feel different but not always to such a point where I feel like I'm in completely new territory".

I just flat out left the site after that, I don't want to even bother with a community like that. Granted, I should have known better than to hope it would be a cool place to talk about Sonic. I follow someone on tumblr who happened to be an ex-member of staff there, and I've seen them rant over the years about how terrible the community there could be and how that was the reason they stepped down.
Browsing Sonic Stadium for even five seconds was one of the worst experiences I've ever had as a Sonic fan, and I lurked Sega's official forums for two years with that place being moderately toxic at times. It left me with a general impression that it's what most of the core Sonic fandom is like that's stuck with me since then, and I wouldn't touch that place with a 40 foot pole.

Chrono.

Sonic Stadium boards are pretty terrible.

Makes Smashboards look civil.

I mean SB right now is chill but Smash 4 era was pretty hell sometimes.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Sonic Stadium boards are pretty terrible.

Makes Smashboards look civil.

I mean SB right now is chill but Smash 4 era was pretty hell sometimes.
Yeah the Smash fandom during full speculation is pretty much a pack of nutter butters but

there's a reason why I basically ran away from the Sonic fandom into the Smash one.

Once Sonic Boom started revving up I could see the fallout coming before it ever even came out and I just up and bailed until such time that the Sonic fandom might actually be able to at least make it back down to a baseline in the same ballpark as every other crazed fandom.

Clearly it's not time yet.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
You can't compare the Smash fandom with the Sonic fandom. That's two WAY different ballparks.

I mean yeah, Smash fans can get pretty cancerous at times but the Sonic fandom is the prime evil of fandoms. It hates itself and basically everything else, and aren't afraid of showing it. And when they're fueled for rants? That's a rare exception of me using a mute button right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom