• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Let's see what my free summon will get me in the Sacred Stones banner. I actually would quite like to get Tana so hopefully there is a blu-"

"oh, never mind"

And it was a 4-Star Marth, that's like the third one I've got since my first one whom I promoted.

Not sure I want to actually spend Orbs on this banner yet so I'll save 'em.

Now back to Sonic Mania.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Played a bit of Sonic Mania - the fourth stage sees a massive jump upwards in terms of random instant death (bottomless pits, getting crushed, etc.), and the Studiopolis act one boss is a pain (it requires you to jump on certain missiles while jumping over others, but if you're on a slope (which is incredibly common in that boss fight), you can barely jump) but otherwise, it's a fun game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So apparently Fire Emblem Heroes can't decide how to pronounce Ephraim.

Eirika says "A-frum"
Seth and Valter say "F-rum"
Innes says "F-ram"

I'm half expecting the next Sacred Stones character to make it something outlandish like "Eef-ra-heem."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
HOLY CRAP

BEAN THE DYNAMITE IS ACTUALLY IN THE GAME. HE'S NOT JUST ON A POSTER

its THE BOYS. THOSE DUDES.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
WHAT!?
Well, I have an excuse to rewatch it now.
I can't wait to see how their subs handled the scene in Ep23
"I believe in your belief for yourself"

Still has me giggle out loud.

Though again, Akko's and Ursula's/Chariot's relationship near the end episodes had my heart get so broken and then reconstructed again.

I still hope to write that fic where I make them meet Izuku and Toshinori (All Might) sometime...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So apparently Fire Emblem Heroes can't decide how to pronounce Ephraim.

Eirika says "A-frum"
Seth and Valter say "F-rum"
Innes says "F-ram"

I'm half expecting the next Sacred Stones character to make it something outlandish like "Eef-ra-heem."
I've always pronounced it as "Eh-frah-eem"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've always pronounced it as "Eh-frah-eem"

So I just found out that it's apparently a valid pronunciation.

I've just always heard it as "Eff-rum."
...Doesn't stop it from being silly that his name is pronounced three different ways in the same game. :p

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I see my cereal tweet made it here.

What I usually did was get a bowl of milk, grab a handful of cereal and drop it in the bowl. When the cereal has been eaten, grab another handful and repeat till the milk is over. I think doing that keeps the cereal crunchier. :p
Glad to see someone agrees with me, holy ****.

It's the optimal way to enjoy cereal.

I'll concede that cereal first is better when you're pressed for time, it's just faster. But if you want to enjoy your cereal, have fun with it? Milk first. It provides the utmost control over your meal. Want to keep it crunchy? Gradual handfuls. Want soggy? Pour it all in and/or let it sit. Why tie yourself down with cereal first, when you can be free with milk first?

D

Deleted member

THAT scene from LWA's episode 23, "Yesterday". I can't take screenshots on Netflix on my phone so I'll just write it down. Note: the card's name is in English and it's clearly "A believing heart".
Diana: "That's what makes you so special, Akko. That magic within yourself... that no one else can rival"

They wrote themselves into a corner lol
It's not bad, but the scene loses some of its meaning by having Diana not quote Chariot.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I was hanging out in town today when I noticed two younger boys fighting. I was watching the fight nearby but gave me chills when one of the kids almost threw the other one in front of a truck. Fortunately the truck stopped and the kid okay. The trucker got pissed off though. He got out and started yelling at the kids.

That's when a brown horse came out of the brush and ran over the trucker, scared the two kids, and made a car swerve off the road into somebody's mailbox.

The trucker is okay, and as it would turn out, the trucker was looking for that horse. A cop drove in and that's when I got out of there.

The morale of the story? I need to buy a camera.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I was hanging out in town today when I noticed two younger boys fighting. I was watching the fight nearby but gave me chills when one of the kids almost threw the other one in front of a truck. Fortunately the truck stopped and the kid okay. The trucker got pissed off though. He got out and started yelling at the kids.

That's when a brown horse came out of the brush and ran over the trucker, scared the two kids, and made a car swerve off the road into somebody's mailbox.

The trucker is okay, and as it would turn out, the trucker was looking for that horse. A cop drove in and that's when I got out of there.

The morale of the story? I need to buy a camera.
thats the best story I have ever heard

D

Deleted member

THE ENGLISH DUB PRONOUNCES CROIX'S NAME AS "CROY"
What kind of Herculean leap of logic did Netflix make to get to this? Like, even disregarding the failed research done here, it just sounds too silly.
LIKE, at least go for the literal pronunciation, Croy is the funniest name I have ever heard to hear, and not in a good way.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
THE ENGLISH DUB PRONOUNCES CROIX'S NAME AS "CROY"
What kind of Herculean leap of logic did Netflix make to get to this? Like, even disregarding the failed research done here, it just sounds too silly.
LIKE, at least go for the literal pronunciation, Croy is the funniest name I have ever heard to hear, and not in a good way.

It's not a leap in logic though. In the US, that's how that name is pronounced. Yeah, it should be "Quah" anywhere else due to it being French, but in the US the pronunciation is different.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not a leap in logic though. In the US, that's how that name is pronounced. Yeah, it should be "Quah" anywhere else due to it being French, but in the US the pronunciation is different.
It's a French name though, you don't pronounce someone else's name differently because of where you are. Sure you won't pronounce it 100% like it's supposed to but it should still be as similar as possible.
And it's "Croah", like how Google gives me and is in the *** dub.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's a French name though, you don't pronounce someone else's name differently because of where you are. Sure you won't pronounce it 100% like it's supposed to but it should still be as similar as possible.

Literally the first result on Google says "Croy (in the United States)." It's a valid pronunciation. The city of Dubois is pronounced " da boys" and not "da bwah" like it technically "should" be. Chinchilla is pronounced closer to vanilla than quesadilla.

Pronunciations vary by country.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Literally the first result on Google says "Croy (in the United States)." It's a valid pronunciation. The city of Dubois is pronounced " da boys" and not "da bwah" like it technically "should" be. Chinchilla is pronounced closer to vanilla than quesadilla.

or another example New Or-leans vs New Or-lans

Chrono.

The special stages in Mania are no joke.

The fourth one keeps giving me issues, I don't wanna run out of big rings to jump into...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

English and French pronunciations of names do differ quite often actually...

Guy for example is pronounced Gee (with a hard 'G') in French...as opposed to how we say it in English...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But that happens all the time. like Colour and Color. England pronounces the u, the US doesnt
But "color" is not a name though

Pronunciations do vary by country, but not of a person's name. A name be pronounced and written differently in a country but that doesn't mean you'll pronounce a foreign person's name because of that.
In Portuguese, the name "Alexander" is "Alexandre" but someone named Alexander who comes from an English-speaking country doesn't suddenly become "Alexandre".
Croix is a French person from French with a French name who cane from France. There's no reason as to why her name would be pronounced as "Croy" if she isn't from an English-speaking country.
English and French pronunciations of names do differ quite often actually...

Guy for example is pronounced Gee (with a hard 'G') in French...as opposed to how we say it in English...
An English named "Guy" won't suddenly start pronouncing his name "gee" if he goes to French.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Pronunciations do vary by country, but not of a person's name. A name be pronounced and written differently in a country but that doesn't mean you'll pronounce a foreign person's name because of that.
In Portuguese, the name "Alexander" is "Alexandre" but someone named Alexander who comes from an English-speaking country doesn't suddenly become "Alexandre".
Croix is a French person from French with a French name who cane from France. There's no reason as to why her name would be pronounced as "Croy" if she isn't from an English-speaking country.

An English named "Guy" won't suddenly start pronouncing his name "gee" if he goes to French.

The concept of localization means making it fit the new place it's brought to. Here, Croix is pronounced Croy.

You're getting upset at this for literally no reason.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

I beg to differ. I say my name as Al-la-son but many people call me Al-Le-son

The point I was trying to say is not everyone says the same thing in the same way and you should chill

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Ah, speed platforming. I missed you so much!

. . .I'm freaking home, guys.

. . .Now to start the time honored tradition of restarting the game because I'm not dealing with Mega Muck platforming right now. What was that section doing in the first act of that stage?!

D

Deleted member

The concept of localization means making it fit the new place it's brought to. Here, Croix is pronounced Croy.

You're getting upset at this for literally no reason.
All the characters are from didferent nationalities and their nanes are supposed to be read correctly.
Jasminka still has her name pronounced correctly so why doesn't Croix have it too?
I beg to differ. I say my name as Al-la-son but many people call me Al-Le-son

The point I was trying to say is not everyone says the same thing in the same way and you should chill
How about YOU chill?
As someone who hates having his name mispronounced/misspelled, no, this is something that bothers me on a personal level.

But whatever, I'm not doing this again, at least not until you've all watched LWA and have the proper context.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
All the characters are from didferent nationalities and their nanes are supposed to be read correctly.
Jasminka still has her name pronounced correctly so why doesn't Croix have it too?

How about YOU chill?
As someone who hates having his name mispronounced/misspelled, no, this is something that bothers me on a personal level.

But whatever, I'm not doing this again, at least not until you've all watched LWA and have the proper context.

The problem is you're assuming pronouncing Croix as Croy is incorrect. It's not. It's a completely acceptable pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom