• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Turns out Spider-Man's player 2 costume in MvCi (for now) is his Negative Zone suit. But he has white eyes instead of black.

Mega Man X's player two is the Spinning Blade/Rising Fire color scheme (Red/Gray) from Mega Man X3 and Mega Man X4. Zero has a Black Zero suit and Hulk has his Captain Universe suit(Blue Skin, white pants).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Turns out Spider-Man's player 2 costume in MvCi (for now) is his Negative Zone suit. But he has white eyes instead of black.

Mega Man X's player two is the Spinning Blade/Rising Fire color scheme (Red/Gray) from Mega Man X3 and Mega Man X4. Zero has a Black Zero suit and Hulk has his Captain Universe suit(Blue Skin, white pants).
I would have given him the venom suit

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would have given him the venom suit
I think they mentioned each character has about 6 or so different costumes. Though there's a chance that Spider-Man's costumes this time around are strictly color swaps until an alt is released.

If that's the case, I think a costume based on Kaine's Scarlet Spider would still look good, even if it isn't 100% accurate. There's also a Web-Man and an Arachno-Man choice for alts. Granted, they'd be more obscure, but Arachno-Man was a costume in a few games already.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
So, what games have any of you guys been playing lately? I'm mostly been playing Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. If I wasn't busy with a few other things, I would be a bit further along than I am now, but being about half done isn't too bad.

Then there's other games like Ultimate Spider-Man that I can keep going back to if I just feel like messing around.

Edit: I clearly post here too much, but hey, that's whatever.
Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy X, Zelda: Breath of the Wild
More so the former two than the latter though.
I've also been wanting to play FE: Awakening, as I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet, although, aside from Chrom X Sumia, Ricken X Miriel, and (maybe) Gaius X Tharja, I have no idea who to pair with whom.
(And also the random skirmishes have felt quite a bit tougher than those in Fates and Echoes, which might be a sign that I'm underleveled, but the enemies in the paralogues and required chapters have been weaker, so I don't know.)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So, what games have any of you guys been playing lately? I'm mostly been playing Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. If I wasn't busy with a few other things, I would be a bit further along than I am now, but being about half done isn't too bad.

Then there's other games like Ultimate Spider-Man that I can keep going back to if I just feel like messing around.

Bouncing back and forth between Splatoon 2 and Arms....also been giving Blaster Master Zero a good run when I'm at work...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
When the **** are we getting more details on AC mobile?

It got announced over a year ago and we still havent seen ANYTHING from it. :/
When tthe Switch title gets announced silly :p

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Splatoon, Master blaster zero, Mighty Gunvolt burst amd Happy Home Designer. Starting ti get boared of Splatoon so its mostly Happy Home Designer

Chrono.

Breath of the Wild is pretty much the only game I've been playing for the last week. Along with Sonic 2 on mobile.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
So here's something I want to hear some thoughts on:

Do you have problems with main characters forgiving the actions of a villain? When do you think such forgiveness is tolerable, and when do you think such forgiveness is unacceptable?

Some might be wondering what is the context of this topic I'm putting forth. This mainly comes from three examples. I'll start with the first two examples I'm not as well-versed on, but I hear have some controversy surrounding "forgiveness coming from the main character."

This one I will admit is not too familiar with me since I haven't read the manga, but I am aware about the major events that played out in the story.

One event that I noticed that gets criticism is when Naruto and Obito strike a bond during the final arc of the narrative. I've seen a number of critics disliking this moment because they do not think Naruto should forgive someone that played a major role in unleashing the Nine-tales that tried to destroy the Hidden Leaf Village back then, as well as (arguably) being indirectly responsible for killing Minato and Kushina at the time.
While I haven't played the Tellius games, I do know some events that happen here and there. I even watched a highlights video of an FE youtube's playthrough of Radiant Dawn. The Youtuber I'm referring to is Mangs. One particular scene I've watched in that was the scene following Ike's final battle with the Black Knight. There, Black Knight and Ike share a heart-to-heart in that scene as the former gives his final words.

Mangs got very angry during this scene, saying that Ike should not have a heart-to-heart moment with the Black Knight because the latter "killed [Ike's] father" and threatened to torture Mist to death.

I know this is just one FE fan who was angry over Ike being nice to the Black Knight in that scene, but it was an example that got me thinking about the topic question I posed. Perhaps people here who played RD could give more thoughts on what they thought about this scene in RD and whether or not it is a good/bad example of "forgiveness coming from the main character.

The final example is a very recent example: a controversial one that I am far more aware of compared to the other two. Of the three, I think this is the best example of the bunch.

One of the biggest criticisms I read from Alm critics/haters regarding the character is that Alm is "way too kind and forgiving." While I personally like Alm's character, I can see where this criticism comes from: two very strong examples of this negative against him is shown through his relations with Fernand and Berkut.

Both of these villains constantly put Alm down throughout the entire game until their final moments. At every opportunity, Fernand keeps proclaiming how disgusted he is with Alm solely because of his rural origins. Never once does Fernad do anything redeemable to Alm except in his dying moments when he finally acknowledges that Clive made the right choice by making Alm the leader of the Deliverance. Alm feels sorrowful over Fernand's death despite how Fernand has treated him throughout most of the story. This doesn't sit well for some fans; they think Alm shouldn't be so forgiving to Fernand considering everything that has led up to this moment.

Then we have Berkut. Like Fernand, Berkut does not treat Alm well for the majority of the story. In fact, he constantly puts Alm down at every opportunity. He looks down on our main character as nothing more than a "farm boy," and as the game progresses, we see how Berkut's hatred for Alm grows. He becomes increasingly furious with each loss against Alm, angered that he is constantly losing to someone of rural blood. This hatred culminates in Act 5 when Berkut learns that Alm is fact Rudolph's son, meaning Alm is next in line for the throne and not Berkut. Since he has been anticipating to inherit the throne for most of his life, Berkut is jealous, devastated, and angered over the news. When Rinea tries to comfort him and tells him she never wanted to be empress, Berkut takes his as a sign she betrayed him for Alm and kills her as a sacrifice to Duma in exchange for power.

Alm eventually runs into Berkut at the altar. There, he reaches out to Berkut, offering to let Berkut aid him during his future rule due to the fact the two are cousins. Berkut silences Alm and reveals that he has been granted Duma's power. Alm also learns that Berkut sacrificed his own fiancé to turn her into a witch and receive said strength. Alm is clearly disturbed by this, and Berkut explains how disgusted he is that Rudolph has been lying to him (Berkut) his whole life. When Alm tries to point out that Rudolph truly did care for him, Berkut silences Alm again and drops this line:

"Hold a wedding atop Alm's funeral"? This line speaks of pure hatred. Heck, even Alm is shocked by that line.

And following the battle, Berkut sees Rinea's spirit reach out to him. Immediately following this, Berkut and Alm share a heart-to-heart moment where he turns to Alm and tells him to create a world with no need for gods. Berkut then dies, and Alm grieves over it.

Alm wanting to work with Berkut and then cries for his death? Yeah, I can see why this doesn't sit well for some FE: fans. Berkut has done nothing good to Alm throughout the entire adventure. Heck, that very line in the image above speaks for itself what he thinks of our hero, and Alm knows Berkut forcefully took away the life of his fiancé. Alm wanting to forgive Berkut even in light of all this can be hard to swallow in, and not in a painful way, but in a "Alm being so forgiving here when he really shouldn't" kind of way.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord

One per platform: Splatoon 2, Final Fantasy XII for PS4, and Dragon Quest VII for 3DS. I'm having a real good time, too.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think they mentioned each character has about 6 or so different costumes. Though there's a chance that Spider-Man's costumes this time around are strictly color swaps until an alt is released.

If that's the case, I think a costume based on Kaine's Scarlet Spider would still look good, even if it isn't 100% accurate. There's also a Web-Man and an Arachno-Man choice for alts. Granted, they'd be more obscure, but Arachno-Man was a costume in a few games already.

Regular Suit, Venom Suit, Iron Spider, and Scarlet Spider is the suit's I'd use

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

Currently playing both Splatoon 2 and Breath of the Wild.

I was playing Persona 5, but I had to return my rented copy of it. I do plan to buy the game proper in the future.

In about 5 days I'll be playing my most anticipated game of the year, Sonic Mania.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just saw an ad asking "What's your birth wood?"

...That doesn't sound like something I want to know about

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Do you have problems with main characters forgiving the actions of a villain? When do you think such forgiveness is tolerable, and when do you think such forgiveness is unacceptable?

Some might be wondering what is the context of this topic I'm putting forth. This mainly comes from three examples. I'll start with the first two examples I'm not as well-versed on, but I hear have some controversy surrounding "forgiveness coming from the main character."

This one I will admit is not too familiar with me since I haven't read the manga, but I am aware about the major events that played out in the story.

One event that I noticed that gets criticism is when Naruto and Obito strike a bond during the final arc of the narrative. I've seen a number of critics disliking this moment because they do not think Naruto should forgive someone that played a major role in unleashing the Nine-tales that tried to destroy the Hidden Leaf Village back then, as well as (arguably) being indirectly responsible for killing Minato and Kushina at the time.
While I haven't played the Tellius games, I do know some events that happen here and there. I even watched a highlights video of an FE youtube's playthrough of Radiant Dawn. The Youtuber I'm referring to is Mangs. One particular scene I've watched in that was the scene following Ike's final battle with the Black Knight. There, Black Knight and Ike share a heart-to-heart in that scene as the former gives his final words.

Mangs got very angry during this scene, saying that Ike should not have a heart-to-heart moment with the Black Knight because the latter "killed [Ike's] father" and threatened to torture Mist to death.

I know this is just one FE fan who was angry over Ike being nice to the Black Knight in that scene, but it was an example that got me thinking about the topic question I posed. Perhaps people here who played RD could give more thoughts on what they thought about this scene in RD and whether or not it is a good/bad example of "forgiveness coming from the main character.

The final example is a very recent example: a controversial that I am far more aware of compared to the other two, and of the three, I think it is the best example of the bunch.

One of the biggest criticisms I read from Alm critics/haters regarding the character is that Alm is "way too kind and forgiving." While I personally like Alm's character, I can see where this criticism comes from: two very strong examples of this negative against him is shown through his relations with Fernand and Berkut.

Both of these villains constantly put Alm down throughout the entire game until their final moments. At every opportunity, Fernand keeps proclaiming how disgusted he is with Alm solely because of his rural origins. Never once does Fernad do anything redeemable to Alm except in his dying moments when he finally acknowledges that Clive made the right choice by making Alm the leader of the Deliverance. Alm feels sorrowful over Fernand's death despite how Fernand has treated him throughout most of the story. This doesn't sit well for some fans; they think Alm shouldn't be so forgiving to Fernand considering everything that has led up to this moment.

Then we have Berkut. Like Fernand, Berkut does not treat Alm well for the majority of the story. In fact, he constantly puts Alm down at every opportunity. He looks down on our main character as nothing more than a "farm boy," and as the game progresses, we see how Berkut's hatred for Alm grows. He becomes increasingly furious with each loss against Alm, angered that he is constantly losing to someone of rural blood. This hatred culminates in Act 5 when Berkut learns that Alm is fact Rudolph's son, meaning Alm is next in line for the throne and not Berkut. Since he has been anticipating to inherit the throne for most of his life, Berkut is jealous, devastated, and angered over the news. When Rinea tries to comfort him and tells him she never wanted to be empress, Berkut takes his as a sign she betrayed him for Alm and kills her as a sacrifice to Duma in exchange for power.

Alm eventually runs into Berkut at the altar. There, he reaches out to Berkut, offering to let Berkut aid him during his future rule due to the fact the two are cousins. Berkut silences Alm and reveals that he has been granted Duma's power. Alm also learns that Berkut sacrificed his own fiancé to turn her into a witch and receive said strength. Alm is clearly disturbed by this, and Berkut explains how disgusted he is that Rudolph has been lying to him (Berkut) his whole life. When Alm tries to point out that Rudolph truly did care for him, Berkut silences Alm again and drops this line:

"Hold a wedding atop Alm's funeral"? This line speaks of pure hatred. Heck, even Alm is shocked by that line.

And following the battle, Berkut sees Rinea's spirit reach out to him. Immediately following this, Berkut and Alm share a heart-to-heart moment where he turns to Alm and tells him to create a world with no need for gods. Berkut then dies, and Alm grieves over it.

Alm wanting to work with Berkut and then cries for his death? Yeah, I can see why this doesn't sit well for some FE: fans. Berkut has done nothing good to Alm throughout the entire adventure. Heck, that very line in the image above speaks for itself what he thinks of our hero, and Alm knows Berkut forcefully took away the life of his fiancé. Alm wanting to forgive Berkut even in light of all this can be hard to swallow in, and not in a painful way, but in a "Alm being so forgiving here when he really shouldn't" kind of way.
I think in a bunch of ways, some people don't exactly know the idea of forgiveness. What alot of people tend to think of forgiveness is something more akin to pardoning or reconciling, something along the lines of "It's okay bro. No hard feelings." while forgiveness is meant to be more of, "My hatred ends here. Your actions are no longer my concern."

To a sense, when most characters show forgiveness to a foe who has done alot of horrible things, it doesn't mean they simply forget about what they've done or necessarily choose to get along with them. While in some cases, it can be trying to help out somebody who has been just as wronged. *looks at Xenoblade* In some other cases however, it can be the protagonist acknowledging that killing the foe is certainly not going to suddenly make everything better or them not letting their hatred lead them astray from some possible more important things.

Some people tend to look at forgiveness along the lines of reconciling while forgiveness is more like relieving yourself from the hatred towards a offender's actions, which can open a possible path to reconciling. To a sense, depending on how it's done, I don't see a problem with a main character being forgiving. There are some cases where it's rather cheesy, but in most cases, they are fine. I think I remember seeing one badly handled one, but I certainly can't remember what it was from.

Heck, a very good example would be Suikoden, a game series that has plenty of characters that will have you hating their guts and in the intended way too. In the first game, one of the main character's childhood friends is killed and just about all of the friends of that character want to kill the scum that killed him, even when it's learned that he was being controlled. You can choose to either kill them or get them to join your army. While it's very satisfying to watch the character be killed, you find out that sparing them becomes just as satisfying. That character actually helps you in the story if you spare them and it truly makes you not regret sparing them, especially near the end of the game.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I know I'm late on this but I wanted to say something about this.
Serebii said:
Following Tuesday leak of CoroCoro, a clearer image has now come showcasing the full details of Lycanroc Dusk Form. It is confirmed to be a pure Rock-type and be 2'07/0.8m tall and weigh 55.1lbs/25kg. It also confirms once and for all that Dusk Form cannot be obtained during normal gameplay and only through the Special Rockruff distribution. Finally, it also states the confirmation that when it attacks, its eyes turn red akin to Lycanroc's Midnight Form as it unleashes its fighting spirit.
First Bold: This was expected but it's alright. Though I feel the loss of a defensive secondary typing is going to hit Duskroc hard, as it did the other two.

Second Bold: Oh here we go again. Game Freak this lazy ass **** needs to stop. Its obvious that it evolves under special conditions. Just add those special conditions in-game.

*huff* its stats better be worth it then.

Third bold: A feature we already saw but its still very cool.

My overall thoughts: Not happy on how its obtain but whatever. I hope its not set in anything.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Regular Suit, Venom Suit, Iron Spider, and Scarlet Spider is the suit's I'd use
I hope they do use the Venom suit, although, with the rumors Venom himself is in the game, potentially the base roster, they might not use the traditional venom suit. Even if when he first met Venom, he wore a spandex version of it. Some of the games use the Spider-Man 3/Spectacular Spider-Man version.

But they did use it in Marvel 3, along with Iron Spider. Scarlet Spider(Ben Riley) was his DLC alt. Which I'm betting will happen again. Kaine's version, which doesn't have a hoodie, could be made into a color swap, even if it kept the same "anatomy" of the classic suit, it would look good in red and black.

Speaking of Venom, I'm hoping he has a light blue variant that's like the Marvel 1 and 2 Venom. Classic Black, Carnage and Anti-Venom costumes. His other two can be some other symbiotes. I know there's a green one, a purple one and a yellow/red one.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Here's how you get Dusk Lycanroc:

Typos truly are a gift sometimes

I really have to question this move if it's just event only. I understand that Pokémon loves its special events, but Dusk Form Lycanroc doesn't really carry the same amount of weight that other Event Pokemon do and restricting it like that prevents it from being used by a wider audience. I think it'd benefit more from being a new and mysterious form that you have to do some special things for then just something given out early on for players who happen to get the game at release.

Also, this news does not bode well for its competitive viability. The other two Lycanrocs have movepools about as deep as the shallow end of a kiddie pool and unless it's able to be bred onto other Rockruffs or it gets great Move Tutor moves it's pretty restricted in the amount of options it has available to it.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Also, this news does not bode well for its competitive viability. The other two Lycanrocs have movepools about as deep as the shallow end of a kiddie pool and unless it's able to be bred onto other Rockruffs or it gets great Move Tutor moves it's pretty restricted in the amount of options it has available to it.
The egg moves its really losing would be Fire Fang and Thunder Fang. While they do provide coverage options, they are weak and can miss. Tough Claws would of boosted them however not to anything significant. Still, losing coverage is really bad.

Dusk is already better than the other two offensively because of its ability Tough Claws, giving it a more powerful Accelrock. It also boosts Crunch and Brick Break, so Midday at least has something to work with.

But that won't be enough to get it out of PU. It needs better bulk and a better move pool.

Seeing as its an Eventmon, it could get Ash-Greninja treatment with better base stats as well as its unique ability. Which better be the case, else we have another Zoroark situation where its treated as something higher then it actually is.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Anyone who follows the Overwatch World Cup 2017. The last two group G & H match will be held in Santa Monica,USA.

I mention this is because well, I'm rooting for my country team which is called Chinese Taipei. Some of you may be confused why our team didn't use our national flag and use the "Chinese Taipei" word logo instead when many media and some fanpedias use Taiwan and not Chinese Taipei. Ii will take me forever to explain it, just check out this Wikipedia page for more details

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Taipei

I am not butthurt with this name at all since I understand why we end up using this name. In OWC, when China is kicking a** this time (And most Blizzard franchise has a huge fanbase in China), it is obvious we have to stick to this name. Some individuals who supports Taiwan Independence are those who is being buthurt.

Taipei is also the host city for this year's Universiade, so that's something corresponded to this Overwatch Summer Games I guess. There's also rumor floating around that esport could become an Olympic sport for 2024 Olympics.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Doctor. You should look for a doctor
Im thinking about that but then, I dont want to worry my parents
You're dying. Rip. :034:

If you're having a medical issue, ask a doctor about it. Otherwise it sounds like an asthma issue, which I have. And that's just something you have to live with.
How on earth could I suddenly develop Asthma after 23 years of norlt having it?

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Im thinking about that but then, I dont want to worry my parents

How on earth could I suddenly develop Asthma after 23 years of norlt having it?
Pretty sure you can get asthma at any age, even if you don't have had medical problems in the past.
And better worry your parents than not saying anything and making things potentially worse.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dont want to worry my parents
Don't put your own health at risk just because you don't want to be a burden.

This is lung pain. Unchecked that could kill you within days.

Your parents would want to hear if you have a health problem. Trust me.

Go to a doctor, even if you don't tell your parents. Go see one.

D

Deleted member

The final example is a very recent example: a controversial one that I am far more aware of compared to the other two. Of the three, I think this is the best example of the bunch.

FE Echoes
For me, it just feels like Berkut and Fernand didn't earn their redemption, even if they were not that far down, the only bad thing they had done was being assholes, the rest are consequences of war. But Fernand never bothers with it until his death and Berkut sacrifices his wife to Duma.
Also, we needed more scenes of them being nice people BEFORE killing them, one Memory Prism for each which you het after they die isn't enough
As for Naruto, it hits you in the head with "revenge only creates more revenge" and "forgiving is the right answer" and while Part 1 had villains that were redeemed and earned it(Zabuza, Haku, Gaara and Kimimaro), after Shippuden, things just started to feel forced with the only villains I can remember who WEREN'T forgiven were some Akatsuki members, Danzo, Black Zetsu and Kaguya(and post-mortem ones ressurrected in the last arc).
The most egregious ones that were:
-Itachi did murder the entire Uchiha clan to prevent a civil war and he WAS under orders but he mentally tortured Sasuke(which probably made him even more ****ed uo than he already was) under his own contrived plan that ultimately backfired terribly.
-Pain/Nagato hunted down the 9 Tailed Beasts to create a weapon of massive destruction that'd be used to control all the nations. Through that, he created a terrorist organization that led to the deaths of 7 of the Jinchuuriki, his own teacher AND DESTROYED THE ENTIRE LEAF VILLAGE and Naruto forgives him BEFORE even knowing Nagato can ressurrect everyone that died in the attack.
-Sasori, the man who killed at least 300 people, including the Third Kazekage and his own parents, and turned them all into puppets, earns a redemption after "passing down his creations to Kankuro".
-Orochimaru did countless atrocities against the Leaf Village, including an assault that resulted in the Third Hokage's death, amd tortured many other Ninja in his experiments but gets away scotfree after being ressurrected by the 7th billion time the war
-Kabuto ressurrected a bunch of people and forced most of them to fight against their own allies in the war. Thanks to also ressurrecting Madara, it's the only reason the guy is able to enact his plan. He also assisted Orochimaru in most of his plans and experiments. Got away scotfree and had a son with Orochimaru.
-Madara Uchiha killed a ****ton of people, is responsible for pretty much the whole ****ing thing and is an asshole. Yet Hashirama forgives him for all the atrocities he commited by the end of the manga.
-Sasuke deserted the Leaf Village, attempted to kidnap the Eight Tails Jinchuuriki, invaded the Steel Nation where the Five Kage Summot was being held and attempted to assassimate the five Kages which did result in Danzo's death, mortally wounded Karin, almost killed Sakura AND AFTER KAGUYA IS DEFEATED HE DOES IT ALL AGAIN. He only gets ONE year of jailtime and that's anime only so it's mot even canon.

And then we have Obito, you know what, the guy needs his own section, especifically because Naruto calls him "nothing but awesome":
-Attacked the Leaf Village trying to steal the Nine Tails, which ended up with lots of people dying, including Naruto's parents, leaving him with the Nine Tails sealed inside him and orphaned.
-Hypnotized the Third Mizukage and created a reign of terror in the Mist Village which is referenced in early arcs such as how Zabuza had to kill all of his classmates in an exercise done by all Mist Ninja Genin.
-Convinced Sasuke to join him in his plan and we all know how it wemt from there.
-Killed Konan who was like the most underused Akatsuki member.
-Ressurrected the Ten Tails, killing a whole bunch of people in the war he personally started, including Neji.

Good things he did
-Gave his eyes to Kakashi
-Saved Kakashi from a 360 no scope ash bone from Kaguya
I think in a bunch of ways, some people don't exactly know the idea of forgiveness. What alot of people tend to think of forgiveness is something more akin to pardoning or reconciling, something along the lines of "It's okay bro. No hard feelings." while forgiveness is meant to be more of, "My hatred ends here. Your actions are no longer my concern."

To a sense, when most characters show forgiveness to a foe who has done alot of horrible things, it doesn't mean they simply forget about what they've done or necessarily choose to get along with them. While in some cases, it can be trying to help out somebody who has been just as wronged. *looks at Xenoblade* In some other cases however, it can be the protagonist acknowledging that killing the foe is certainly not going to suddenly make everything better or them not letting their hatred lead them astray from some possible more important things.

Some people tend to look at forgiveness along the lines of reconciling while forgiveness is more like relieving yourself from the hatred towards a offender's actions, which can open a possible path to reconciling. To a sense, depending on how it's done, I don't see a problem with a main character being forgiving. There are some cases where it's rather cheesy, but in most cases, they are fine. I think I remember seeing one badly handled one, but I certainly can't remember what it was from.

Heck, a very good example would be Suikoden, a game series that has plenty of characters that will have you hating their guts and in the intended way too. In the first game, one of the main character's childhood friends is killed and just about all of the friends of that character want to kill the scum that killed him, even when it's learned that he was being controlled. You can choose to either kill them or get them to join your army. While it's very satisfying to watch the character be killed, you find out that sparing them becomes just as satisfying. That character actually helps you in the story if you spare them and it truly makes you not regret sparing them, especially near the end of the game.
I don't have a problem with redemptions" or "forgiving the enemy", it's just rarely done well.
Berkut and Fernand didn't work for it and Naruto wants me to forgive people who have gone too far off and not give them any sort of punishment.

Two examples that I can think of that do work are, first Chrono Trigger:
Much like the example you gave, he's a major villain which you get the choice of sparing or not, and while it IS incredibly satisfying to have Frog 1v1 him to death, you can also spare him and have him join you. This isn't a "I forgive you" but more of "We need to kill this giant alien parasite and you want to kill it too so let's put our differences aside to work together, killing you won't save anyone now". And in the end, if you spared him, Magus does earn his redemption by helping destroy Lavos.
The choice is still not easy though, Magus did start a war and killing him does free Frog from his curse in the end, but killing him means ending his attempts to save his sister and, gameplay wise, Magus is a nuke and extremely helpful.

The second example is Fullmetal Alchemist: "Forgive but do not forget"
These words become very important to the series so I'll put it in spoilers
The way it's used is meant as "there's no point in hanging onto past events, but it doesn't mean you can just forget them" which is something another certain Shonen didn't get quite right.
Scar tries to enact his revenge on State Alchemists through most of the series, only putting it away when he sees Winry, whose parents he had killed, heal him and be willing to forgive him for the best of both parties.
It's not a "I don't care about what happened in the past" but "I do care about it but we have to move on", without Scar being willing to fogive State Alchemists like Roy and Winry to forgive Scar, they'd never be able to stop Father and their grudge would have been their downfall.

Hell, FMA takes even revenge in a better way than Naruto, first by showing how pointless and destructive Scar's quest for it is(which did result in someone else seeking revenge against him) and that by seeking it, we end up being consumed by it. Sure it would have been satisfying to see Roy burn down Envy but he was filled with hatred and beyond reasoning: that wouldn't have been Roy. Instead, Envy ends up committing suicide out of shame, which shows how low he actually is, being unable to face the consequences when things didn't go his way.
Also, when Scar confronts King Bradley, it's mot for revenge, but to stop one of the Homunculus. Never during the fight does Scar show any form of hatred, and in the end, Wrath loses due to "divine punishment", which he had mocked the Ishvalans before for "their God not punishing his 'crimes'", finally delivering him justice.

Or on a more realistic setting, A Silent Voice is all about a boy who thinks he doesn't deserve being forgiven, but it's more of a case of "we are stupid as kids, let's not hold ourselves back for people who we are not anymore" or just, in Layman's Terms, "people can really change"

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I just wanna talk about the SoV one.

Alm forgiving Fernand is perfectly reasonable given that Fernand was ultimately a character driven by a tragedy he couldn't cope with. Alm isn't the only character he's like this with. Clive, Clair, and Lukas all deal with Fernand's outbursts as well. The Rise of the Deliverance DLC paints this picture really clearly, where it's shown that Fernand feels kind of babied by the pity Clive and Clair show for him. Fernand is pretty much in a state where he wants nothing to do with anyone, but he still has to carry on with Deliverance activity in spite of his grief. That kind of stress is eventually going to wear someone down. In Fernand's final moments, Clive and Clair are clearly grieving for him (Clair straight up starts crying), so it would be super inappropriate for Alm to be all like "YOU KNOW WHAT? **** THAT GUY!". So I don't think the writers really had a way to fit Alm being bitter towards Fernand into the scenes at hand. Bitterness isn't exactly a quality he displays at any point in the game (hell, he wasn't bitter after Celica's babyfit in Act 2, if that wouldn't make him bitter, nothing will), so it would be kind of OoC for him to just suddenly have this hatred of Fernand. Ultimately, Fernand isn't a bad person and we get plenty of context for that. He's just unable to cope with a tragedy that befell him, and takes it out on people, especially given Alm and his friends are of the same ilk that killed Fernand's family. Fernand is supposed to be a pitiful character, and pity is ultimately what Alm feels for him. Alm also feels somewhat responsible for driving a wedge between Fernand and Clive so there's that too.

Berkut is a bit sketchier. Throughout the game, Berkut isn't really a tragic character like Fernand is, he's more of a cartoon villain until the final Act. But I think Alm's feelings here are the result of Berkut being family. Alm hasn't known blood family his whole life and he's just finding out about all of these people who were his blood family, while finding out Mycen isn't part of it. It's a bit of a shock to his system, especially given the fact he has to fight them. Also, Rudolph's right hand man (the bald dude, forgot his name) does ask Alm to show compassion for Berkut, so there's that as well.

Also, the "we'll hold our wedding atop his funeral" line is subverted by the fact he is under Duma's mad influence at that point. Hell, Duma is the only reason Berkut is even a threat at this point. I think Berkut would have came to terms with Alm if it weren't for Duma.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hero Fest is on in FE Heroes and luck who showed up on my free summon.

Hiiiii Genny! Off to a good start!

Screenshot_20170810-130946.png

And a few summons later...

Screenshot_20170810-131201.png

Another Genny! That's the most important part of this banner out of the way. Hopefully I can get Ike in the coming days.

Also got a 4-Star Hinata for Fury 3 fodder.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have a fun game guys!

It's a three part game so everyone pay attention to the rules. I'll post the second part of the game when enough people accomplish the first part.

We're gonna make a team of Pokemon, apply some real world aspects to them and think about movesets.
1. Go to Bulbapedia and hit random page. Your goal is to get a Pokemon for your team. Keep pressing random until you get an article about a certain Pokemon. It can be the main species page, it can be a TCG artilce, Battrio card, whatever. Point is, the article has to discuss ONLY one Pokemon. If the article is about a non Pokemon, episode or chapter, press random and ignore it. Note, you will not be allowed to get Legendary/Mythical Pokemon. If you find one, ignore it and move on.

2. Do this six times until you have six Pokemon for your team. If you get a repeat, ignore it and move on.

For example, I have done this and my team ended up being...

• Quilava
  • Metang
  • Volcarona
  • Diglett (Standard Form)
  • Spheal
  • Grovyle
NOTE: You should not purposely seek out starters. I just happened to get lucky and get two of them. Then again I got unlucky and got Diglett. You'll see why that might be an issue in a bit.

3. Next think about what personalities each of your Pokemon will have. This may seem trivial but trust me its important for what I have planned. And by personalities, I don't mean natures like the games. I mean how they interact with each other and yourself. Also, determine a sex if the species has one. You may nickname your team if you like.

• I imagine Quilava would be the determined sort. Ready to battle at any time and with a will that refuses to give up, even if he should. Good heart overall, but stubborn. Male.
  • Metang would be a big of a goof. Happy mood usually and always helpful to those around him. Tough when he needs to be though. No sex.
  • Volcarona is the super serious one. No time for joking around, it wants to battle and will do so effectively. It might come off as a bit cold but cares deep down. Female.
  • Diglett is the person who doesn't know they're small. She just keeps on trucking while constantly getting herself into dangerous situations. However, though her own skill and occasional dumb luck, she proves to be successful. Female.
  • Spheal is the baby of the group. Newly hatched from its egg, it isn't too experienced in battle but shows great potential. Spheal loves to be cuddled and prefers being babied over battling. Male.
  • Grovyle is the cool guy of the group. He tries to make himself seem cool at every opportunity, unfortunately he tries a bit too hard at times. The rest of the team see him as more of a goof than anything. Still, he pulls his weight in battle and has talent. Male.
4. Okay. Now for the hard part. You have to determine your team's moveset. However, instead of going for a moveset you would use for a game, think about real world applications. Earthquake, Surf or Discharge might hurt the opponent greatly but it could also hurt the trainers and surrounding people and Pokemon. Meanwhile, weaker moves like Vine Whip and Smokescreen might have more practical applications. For example, one could use Smokescreen to escape an enemy attack and plan surprise attacks or use Vine Whip to prevent a Pokemon from moving about.

Also, keep in mind any non attack abilities any Pokemon have. For example, Metang and Volcarona can fly and Quilava can ignite parts of its body with ease. We aren't limited to ingame restrictions here.

You will be able to teach your Pokemon any move they can learn. This includes egg moves, TMs, HMs, tutor moves, etc.

My moves will be...

Quilava: Smokescreen/Flamethrower/Swift/Wild Charge
Metang: Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt/Psychic/Brick Break
Volcarona: Fiery Dance/Bug Buzz/Hurricane/String Shot
Diglett: Dig/Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch/Rock Tomb
Spheal: Ice Beam/Water Pulse/Rollout/Yawn
Grovyle: Leaf Blade/Leaf Storm/Dragon Breath/Leech Seed

Some thoughts I had while making my team.

• I tried to avoid moves that could cause serious damage to the environment or opposing trainer overall. Unfortunately, Volcarona has almost nothing but those, so I decided that Volcarona would be the equivalent to my team's nuker. Only used when times are tough and I REALLY need to extra power.
  • You can see that several Pokemon have physical and special attacks. I tried to make sure most of them could deal with threats up close and at a distance.
  • I avoided status buff moves as I feel they might be too risky in a real world application. Quiver Dance and Hone Claws almost made the list, but I opted for other things instead.
  • Moves like Smokescreen, Swift, String Shot, Dig and Leech Seed were chosen for what I consider potential real world applications.

5. Finally, chose your team's ace. Which Pokemon will be the one people know you by? I think I'm gonna have to go with my Volcarona.

That's all for now. The rest of the game will be done in part two.

I apologize if its a bit long folks, but I feel it could be a super fun game with a bit of imagination. Give it a shot if you want.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Hero Fest is on in FE Heroes and luck who showed up on my free summon.

Hiiiii Genny! Off to a good start!

View attachment 132032

And a few summons later...

View attachment 132033

Another Genny! That's the most important part of this banner out of the way. Hopefully I can get Ike in the coming days.

Also got a 4-Star Hinata for Fury 3 fodder.
I'm going to have to pass on the Hero Fest banner... need to recover. Especially since Feh might keep the Fates, Awakening, and Echoes pandering up in the next banner of new heroes and that would already be rough as is.

Kinda hoping they back off a bit from the newer games, even if it means I don't enjoy Heroes as much for a while. There's plenty of installments that haven't had much love yet. Those who are more fond of the older Fire Emblems are probably feeling a bit disinterested/discouraged by now.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Don't put your own health at risk just because you don't want to be a burden.

This is lung pain. Unchecked that could kill you within days.

Your parents would want to hear if you have a health problem. Trust me.

Go to a doctor, even if you don't tell your parents. Go see one.
um, wait. Can lung pain come and go as it pleases? because for some reason, I dont feel the pain anymore but I feel some will say still get it checked. just to be safe?

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
When do you think such forgiveness is tolerable?
Zuko - Zuko had a interesting character arc throughout Book 1, 2, and 3. He's not what I would consider a villain by your question's standards, but is an example of what I would find forgiveness tolerable. I could understand his attitude back then, from when he was way back young. It was when he was in a strategy meeting and he got severely punished for speaking out by his own father. So Zuko hence forth was finding the Avatar just so he could return home. Throughout Book 2 and his relationship with Iroh, his motives began to be questioned. Should he find the Avatar like his father demanded? Or should he carve out a destiny for himself? I speak specifically Book 2 because of his struggle with that, and his conversation and connection with Katara. Only to back-stab them both Azula persuaded Zuko with something he'd been wanting for a three years.

In Book 3, he slowly starts to realize that earning his father's respect isn't what he truly wanted. Through stories of his ancestors and struggles, he decided to betray his father and join the Avatar. But it was no easy quest from there. Once he found where the Aang and his friends, he was initially berated. He had to go earn their trust, and as difficult as a task it may be, he successfully accomplished it. By preventing Combustion Man from sneaking up the group; he was able to save their lives, but he didn't stop there. He also to change Aang, Sokka and Katara and their entire opinion of Zuko. Aang was able to learn fire-bending and discover a much more hidden truth to its source and history; Sokka was able to regain back his father, his girlfriend, and the rest of his tribesmen and everyone else he thought he lost during the failed invasion. And Katara was able to finally find the one who've taken her away from the Water Tribe. And in the end? He was forgiven and trusted, and proven that he changed.

This is an example of what I will find forgiveness tolerable; as much as I dislike Zuko. His arc was interesting, and that's all I'll ever say about him.

when do you think such forgiveness unacceptable?
I wanted to say Light Yagami or Lelouch Vi Britannia because I find them both unforgivable but I wasn't sure if there was a scene where their forgiveness is unacceptable. What I will say though is that they're victims of the classic story of what happens when too much power can get to the best of us. It's been a while since I've watched both animes, so I'll just put this story down below that I think should summarize my thoughts on both of them.

Once upon a time, there was a hero born with a goal to change the world. Advantaged with special powers, and determination to save the world of those who wronged it, he took up arms to against evil villains and inspired many to do the same. And soon, everyone came to love and support this hero. At the climax of the great and intensive events, this hero has proven to overcome these ordeals, risking his very life in order to become a hero of justice and benevolence. Everyone just bursting with joy and happiness, and all hoped the cycle of deeds would last for years to come.

However...

There was a dark side to that hero as well. Power proved to be too overwhelming, and the hero didn't want to let any of it go. As it grew, it eventually became an addiction. The hero betrayed friends, families, loved ones and murdered rivals, and more innocents at the very cost for more power. The hero turned back on everything he stood for in his quest for more power, and the more he gotten, the worse, more arrogant, cruel, and sinister he became. In the end, the hero became the thing he hated. He became a tyrant he promised to defeat. Everyone was intimated by the tyrant's wrath, and so began a new hero to rise up and strike him down.

EDIT: I forgot to add Akechi in. He's a sociopath I find unforgivable. Though I don't think he was really written to be forgivable anyways. He's still a worse version of Leon Magnus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom