• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, I saw the previews. It looked something better to be a quick and funny flick to watch on Netflix or a budget title, not a full theater release.

Also, Sony can't risk a lack of sales by letting the reviews influence people. They threw it all on this movie. They did the logical thing here, to make sure people judge it by actually seeing it properly.

I still think it will bomb, though.

I also read the interview of how it came to be. Kind of a cool story of why the person thought it was a good idea. Simply put, they wanted to make something akin to Toy Story. Somebody sent the person a text with an emoji. That gave quite a bit of inspiration, to see what it's like inside a cellphone with emojis themselves.

http://screenrant.com/emoji-movie-director-tony-leondis-interview/ for the link.

But yeah, I'll be surprised if it makes any money back. I can't even justify seeing it with the current preview I've seen. It does look like it'll have a few good jokes, but nothing strong enough for a full movie. I'll watch it if it comes on Netflix, since I enjoy silly things.
Didn't someone on the production team say kids don't deseve to laugh as much as adults?

D

Deleted member

I hope the Emohi movie bombs hard so studios can realise they can't just make a movie out of any concept the find and expect it to work.
I'm looking at you Angry Birds
This is basically what will happen when you have too many good games in 2017.
EOV isn't there and we all know it will be the GOTY

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Didn't someone on the production team say kids don't deseve to laugh as much as adults?
The *bleep?*

I haven't been following what's been going on with the Emoji Movie, but really now?

And I suppose they think more than a handful of people even old enough to understand language will be laughing at it, let alone adults. Do they really think their wink-wink nudge-nudge jokes are worth that much? That any adult is going to want their garbage tier humor after a hard work day?

Never mind the sheer entitlement it takes to even say that. "They don't work as hard as I do waaaah." Someone like that shouldn't be let anywhere near a family film, and gosh I hope they don't have kids because if they do I feel sorry for those poor kids.

That mindset is more indicative of this movie being a trainwreck than the concept OR the director's credentials. You don't work on a family movie if you hate children. Full stop.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Umm...
That was Stephen Wright, he's known for having a very cynical, snarky style of comedy.
I wouldn't take much he says seriously.
Not defending the movie, but I'm just saying I'm pretty sure he was joking.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I hope the Emohi movie bombs hard so studios can realise they can't just make a movie out of any concept the find and expect it to work.
I'm looking at you Angry Birds

EOV isn't there and we all know it will be the GOTY

At least with Angry Birds there was already something to go off of. Pigs steal eggs, birds fight back, birds beat pigs.

If The Emoji Movie ends up half as decent as the Angry Birds Movie, I'll be shocked. Angry Birds wasn't a masterpiece, but at least it wasn't a one-to-one rip off of Wreck-It Ralph.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so i just saw what happens when you rematch splatoon2s final boss

honestly the dialouge made my day

also i just want to point out that angry birds, troll movie and emoji movie all have the same main character "who i am is against what socity wants me to be" and im almost certain they are all sony movies

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I see your keeping the dream of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 coming out in 2017 alive.

Good luck with that.
With Takahashi explain how Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was developed more quickly due to the fact that it was being build on the same engine that was used for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, yeah, of course it will come in 2017.

Let's hope it will come in the early December. I still can't believe some folks still think this game will be delayed. I understand Xenoblade Chronicles has track record of coming to the west a lot late than Japanese release (Same with Fire Emblem), I don't recall Xenoblade ever had delay release before.

D

Deleted member

I FINALLY UNLOCKED BROSKANDAR
THE TIME HAS COME FOR HIM TO CONQUER ONCE MORE
BEHOLD HIS PEERLESS ARMY!
so i just saw what happens when you rematch splatoon2s final boss

honestly the dialouge made my day

also i just want to point out that angry birds, troll movie and emoji movie all have the same main character "who i am is against what socity wants me to be" and im almost certain they are all sony movies
Nah, the main character in Angry Birds is just an asshole

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I dunno at all. All I know is the the actual Producer just wanted to have fun.

Honestly, this hatred towards it is beyond unwarranted and unjustified entirely. Still won't do well even so.

And yeah, if that is true, that's very childish(ah, the irony).

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
The "Final" episode of The Fairly OddParents aired yesterday on Nicktoons.

Nothing spectacular or special; the episode was even aired 5 months ago in Germany and also isn't the final episode production code-wise.

With the lack of news of a renewal and due the fact Nicktoons channel is where the series go to die. This means that The Fairly OddParents has finished its 16 year run (3/30/01 - 7/26/17) after 172 episodes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I dunno at all. All I know is the the actual Producer just wanted to have fun.

Honestly, this hatred towards it is beyond unwarranted and unjustified entirely. Still won't do well even so.

And yeah, if that is true, that's very childish(ah, the irony).
We could have had a good looking Popeye movie from Gennedy what'shisname but it got canned for the emoji movie, which is a reason. There's also the fact that it's a movie about a person with multiple character traits trying to lose most of his emotions iirc.
@Robertman2 you saw the movie, explain in detail please. Spoiler tag it just in case though

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We could have had a good looking Popeye movie from Gennedy what'shisname but it got canned for the emoji movie, which is a reason. There's also the fact that it's a movie about a person with multiple character traits trying to lose most of his emotions iirc.
@Robertman2 you saw the movie, explain in detail please. Spoiler tag it just in case though
No, it's the extreme hatred as is. Not being your cup of tea isn't a good reason to want it to bomb. It bombing means one thing; no more movies from SPA as is. Any chance of potentially getting that Popeye movie you want? Rides on this doing well. At one point it's better to let it go.

Still not seeing this extreme hatred as ever being justifiable as is. It's honestly just making me roll my eyes at this point.

Also, wasn't the Popeye movie just a rumor as is? I don't remember there being a source for that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No, it's the extreme hatred as is. Not being your cup of tea isn't a good reason to want it to bomb. It bombing means one thing; no more movies from SPA as is. Any chance of potentially getting that Popeye movie you want? Rides on this doing well. At one point it's better to let it go.

Still not seeing this extreme hatred as ever being justifiable as is. It's honestly just making me roll my eyes at this point.

Also, wasn't the Popeye movie just a rumor as is? I don't remember there being a source for that.
It was planned last year and there's a trailer for it. Not to mention people dislike SPA anyway because of their stupid decisions like Ghostbusters 2016 and it's marketing or literally everything about the R rated Spiderman movies that don't actually have Spiderman planned other than Tom Hardy as Venom

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'd say wanting it to fail is justifiable. It'll show film studios that filing off the serial numbers of existing movies and splashing a new coat of paint on it isn't going to cut it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It was planned last year and there's a trailer for it. Not to mention people dislike SPA anyway because of their stupid decisions like Ghostbusters 2016 and it's marketing or literally everything about the R rated Spiderman movies that don't actually have Spiderman planned other than Tom Hardy as Venom
Yes, but do we know why it was canned? Where's the source it was specifically canned for The Emoji Movie? Other reasons can easily exist. Ghostbusters 2016 was a great movie, though. Had some writing issues, but an excellent retake on the franchise. Most of the flack it got was actually due to people being bigoted, not because it had writing issues, which is the most ridiculous part as is. It had very few opinions on it that actually cared about the movie's quality. Many didn't even bother to judge it on its own merits either, which is sad. It got far less criticism that hatred for simply existing.

I'd say wanting it to fail is justifiable. It'll show film studios that filing off the serial numbers of existing movies and splashing a new coat of paint on it isn't going to cut it.
Which isn't even what happened at all. Read the interview I linked to last page. The actual Director really wanted to make something fun and unique. And got inspiration from something that happened. It's directly personal for his reasons.

Right now, the only factor is "it's not people's cup of tea" so far that's actually accurate. There has yet to be a properly justified reason here. There's zero sources that one movie was canned just to bring this one out. The director actually is doing this to have fun. And SPA are foolish for riding their career on one movie that wasn't likely to do well as is(with severely unjustified hatred, but still pushing it on a movie with a source material that was going to have trouble standing out anyway, since Emojis aren't exactly based upon the idea of having tons of deep characterization). It bombing kills way more movies than "saves" anything.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yes, but do we know why it was canned? Where's the source it was specifically canned for The Emoji Movie? Other reasons can easily exist. Ghostbusters 2016 was a great movie, though. Had some writing issues, but an excellent retake on the franchise. Most of the flack it got was actually due to people being bigoted, not because it had writing issues, which is the most ridiculous part as is. It had very few opinions on it that actually cared about the movie's quality. Many didn't even bother to judge it on its own merits either, which is sad. It got far less criticism that hatred for simply existing.

Which isn't even what happened at all. Read the interview I linked to last page. The actual Director really wanted to make something fun and unique. And got inspiration from something that happened. It's directly personal for his reasons.

Right now, the only factor is "it's not people's cup of tea" so far that's actually accurate. There has yet to be a properly justified reason here. There's zero sources that one movie was canned just to bring this one out. The director actually is doing this to have fun. And SPA are foolish for riding their career on one movie that wasn't likely to do well as is(with severely unjustified hatred, but still pushing it on a movie with a source material that was going to have trouble standing out anyway, since Emojis aren't exactly based upon the idea of having tons of deep characterization). It bombing kills way more movies than "saves" anything.
Irene, Ghostbusters had more issues than that
This video explains why GB2016 got flak. It wasn't just angry white men who were upset about women

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Wanting to make something fun and unique isn't the same as making something fun and unique.

As it is, the film has a purely electronic character tired of fulfilling his "purpose" and tries to do something new, only to put the entire system at risk of a reboot, killing everyone. Along the way he teams up with a spunky girl character who has some mysterious past and ends up going through a candy-based world. It almost certainly ends with the character realizing his place in the world and setting things right.

It's literally Wreck-It Ralph.

D

Deleted member

Wanting to make something fun and unique isn't the same as making something fun and unique.

As it is, the film has a purely electronic character tired of fulfilling his "purpose" and tries to do something new, only to put the entire system at risk of a reboot, killing everyone. Along the way he teams up with a spunky girl character who has some mysterious past and ends up going through a candy-based world. It almost certainly ends with the character realizing his place in the world and setting things right.

I legit thought you were describing the Lego Movie for a moment

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I legit thought you were describing the Lego Movie for a moment

But Emmet isn't an electronic character whose actions threaten to wipe everyone's data. :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Irene, Ghostbusters had more issues than that
This video explains why GB2016 got flak. It wasn't just angry white men who were upset about women
Yes, I'm talking about the crappy reasons people used though. That pissed me off. I'm not talking about legit criticisms.

Doesn't answer my question about the other movie being canned for Emoji. Source?

Eh, not seeing the issue here either. I love how he got inspired to make it. Wanting to make something fun and unique doesn't mean it'll succeed, and as I said, I think it will bomb. I don't want it to since I hate seeing tons of movie potentials being killed cause of one mediocre movie.

Let's be frank, tons of movies have similar premises. The issue is there's not much you can do with Emojis anyway due to how they're intentionally one-note characters. He had a fun idea, but unfortunately the subject matter means he wrote himself into a corner. It's just unfortunate all around.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yes, I'm talking about the crappy reasons people used though. That pissed me off. I'm not talking about legit criticisms.

Doesn't answer my question about the other movie being canned for Emoji. Source?

Eh, not seeing the issue here either. I love how he got inspired to make it. Wanting to make something fun and unique doesn't mean it'll succeed, and as I said, I think it will bomb. I don't want it to since I hate seeing tons of movie potentials being killed cause of one mediocre movie.

Let's be frank, tons of movies have similar premises. The issue is there's not much you can do with Emojis anyway due to how they're intentionally one-note characters. He had a fun idea, but unfortunately the subject matter means he wrote himself into a corner. It's just unfortunate all around.
This got cancelled despite looking great. Considering the Emoji movie is something Sony's REALLY banking on, it's a conclusion people ended up pulling which doesn't sound too stupid. This IS the same company that wants to make an R rated comedy of Venom without Spiderman in the movie

Chrono.

The "Final" episode of The Fairly OddParents aired yesterday on Nicktoons.

Nothing spectacular or special; the episode was even aired 5 months ago in Germany and also isn't the final episode production code-wise.

With the lack of news of a renewal and due the fact Nicktoons channel is where the series go to die. This means that The Fairly OddParents has finished its 16 year run (3/30/01 - 7/26/17) after 172 episodes.
Damn lol

I knew the series was in the crapper, but sure it deserved a better ending than essentially nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom