• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I remember New Super Mario Bros U having some intricate political plot.
Reggie doesn't know what he's talking about!
In case you don't know, no matter how much Grandfather Clause lets it slide, putting a character in a Damsel in Distress role is a political statement.
All media is political by nature, it doesn't need to take at least 60% of the focus because everything shows a political stance
But of course, "political statements" in this day and age are the evil sjws putting gay characters in my games so what am I even saying?
Ooh I see You seem to know more about Nintendo then the actual president of NoA, dont you?
Yeah, because I played their games

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't think Reggie has ever played a Nintendo game in his life.

Considering how at the Nintendo World Championship, he played Smash Bros with HungryBox, you'd be wrong. No matter how terribly he played during that time, he still played a Nintendo game.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
daily reminder that Reggie is our boy
NeoGAF darn near broke in half when they heard this.

There was a lot of fuss over Nintendo meaning they "weren't going to be inclusive" as though that somehow meant that. People seem to think there's absolutely no middle ground between making absolutely everything a grand politically charged gesture and actively trying to exclude people.

Which I mean. . .no.

I absolutely agree with Nintendo's stance on this. Any attempt at whatever on earth people are asking for would be seen as an insult by the already stressed people on both sides and would only be a net negative for Nintendo both financially and in terms of image. The only right answer for Nintendo here is to quietly and gradually be more inclusive while not touching active politics with a 40 foot pole. Which much to the chagrin of two sides demanding everything around them take a "with us or against us" stance, seems to be their strategy.

That said. . .

I don't think Reggie has ever played a Nintendo game in his life.

Maybe he's like *insert large percentage here* of the userbase and only plays (Mainline/Sports/Kart/Party) Mario.

It's like when people say Nintendo games are "kiddie" and ask for Mario on their PS4. I wouldn't say most Nintendo games get DEEP into politics, but with the sheer number of topics dragged down that rabbit hole, a fair few Nintendo games touch upon at least SOMETHING.

They just don't make some massive statement about it that completely dominates their advertising like some people want them to.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Tested the Pokkén Tournament Pro Pad on a few Switch games (Super Bomerman R, Puyo Puyo Tetris, & Waku Wuku 7)

Feels super great with them. Nice to get a free controller for the Switch.

D

Deleted member

Considering how at the Nintendo World Championship, he played Smash Bros with HungryBox, you'd be wrong. No matter how terribly he played during that time, he still played a Nintendo game.
You call that travesty "playing"?
NeoGAF darn near broke in half when they heard this.

There was a lot of fuss over Nintendo meaning they "weren't going to be inclusive" as though that somehow meant that. People seem to think there's absolutely no middle ground between making absolutely everything a grand politically charged gesture and actively trying to exclude people.

Which I mean. . .no.

I absolutely agree with Nintendo's stance on this. Any attempt at whatever on earth people are asking for would be seen as an insult by the already stressed people on both sides and would only be a net negative for Nintendo both financially and in terms of image. The only right answer for Nintendo here is to quietly and gradually be more inclusive while not touching active politics with a 40 foot pole. Which much to the chagrin of two sides demanding everything around them take a "with us or against us" stance, seems to be their strategy.

That said. . .

Maybe he's like *insert large percentage here* of the userbase and only plays (Mainline/Sports/Kart/Party) Mario.

It's like when people say Nintendo games are "kiddie" and ask for Mario on their PS4. I wouldn't say most Nintendo games get DEEP into politics, but with the sheer number of topics dragged down that rabbit hole, a fair few Nintendo games touch upon at least SOMETHING.

They just don't make some massive statement about it that completely dominates their advertising like some people want them to.
The problem is that this whole "political stance" thing came after details on Far Cry 5 were given because it had a bunch of people react negatively to it saying "politics should stay out of games".
But these people don't really want the segregation of games and politics(which is impossible btw), they don't want "stuff I disagree with"(also known as "radical feminism" in some places), which is the case with FC5 for including the "average american" as the villains

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
In case you don't know, no matter how much Grandfather Clause lets it slide, putting a character in a Damsel in Distress role is a political statement.
All media is political by nature, it doesn't need to take at least 60% of the focus because everything shows a political stance
But of course, "political statements" in this day and age are the evil sjws putting gay characters in my games so what am I even saying?

Yeah, because I played their games

There's a difference between all media being political and all media actively trying to make a show of it.

Reggie clearly intended to make a message of the latter, but people are stressed out enough that they somehow think he meant the former.

Considering the way every other woman is handled in the damsel franchises anymore, I feel like Nintendo's trying to give a message of "Look, we think women are capable of being great at whatever they set out to do and are just as important as anyone else. We just have absolutely no idea how to write these franchises outside of our current cookie cutter, Zelda's messed over for all eternity and Peach is inadequate on a personal level."

Which I mean. . .it's dumb, but it's not spiteful. To people that aren't Peach.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You call that travesty "playing"?

The problem is that this whole "political stance" thing came after details on Far Cry 5 were given because it had a bunch of people react negatively to it saying "politics should stay out of games".
But these people don't really want the segregation of games and politics(which is impossible btw), they don't want "stuff I disagree with"(also known as "radical feminism" in some places), which is the case with FC5 for including the "average american" as the villains

tumblr_oqmnolYllc1uzemv1o2_400.png

This is why people say politics should stay out of games. not everything is political, folks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's a difference between all media being political and all media actively trying to make a show of it.

Reggie clearly intended to make a message of the latter, but people are stressed out enough that they somehow think he meant the former.

Considering the way every other woman is handled in the damsel franchises anymore, I feel like Nintendo's trying to give a message of "Look, we think women are capable of being great at whatever they set out to do and are just as important as anyone else. We just have absolutely no idea how to write these franchises outside of our current cookie cutter, Zelda's messed over for all eternity and Peach is inadequate on a personal level."

Which I mean. . .it's dumb, but it's not spiteful. To people that aren't Peach.
It's not "clearly" when he doesn't say that.
And even THEN, if that was what he meant, it's false because we had Pokemon BW which was a whole comment on animal abuse and we just had FE Echoes which tackles class inequality, xenophobia, religious fanatism, war and political ideals in ITS WHOLE PLOT.
View attachment 130925
This is why people say politics should stay out of games. not everything is political, folks
Everything is political, sorry to break that to ya
I consider "Pressing buttons on a game controller using your own fingers." as playing, yes.
Oh good, guess I count as an Overwatch player

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Finally, Blazblue Central Fiction Story Mode...
*slam desk*
Completed!...

Sort of, now, I must finish every alternate path and gag ending.

Then, I have to play Arcade Mode with every character, three times for each.

Then, I need to play the Tutorial for every character.

And finally, I have to do the most challenge I can with every character.

...God dang it AWS.:4charizard: As if Guilty Gear Rev 2 didn't have enough.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
It's not "clearly" when he doesn't say that.
And even THEN, if that was what he meant, it's false because we had Pokemon BW which was a whole comment on animal abuse and we just had FE Echoes which tackles class inequality, xenophobia, religious fanatism, war and political ideals in ITS WHOLE PLOT.

Everything is political, sorry to break that to ya

Oh good, guess I count as an Overwatch player

I don't think people who realize that everything can be seen as political somehow would say something isn't political. If he doesn't realize everything can be political, then he's most likely referring to the idea of something being deliberately politically charged.

I mean, he's still someone who has no idea how half of Nintendo's library even works, but I doubt he actually meant it the way people are taking it because to even make that statement would imply he had no idea people would assume it to be the interpretation they're assuming it as.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I watched TMNT 2012 for the first time in a very long while and discovered that...
-The Turtles went back in time to stop the future das Triceratons.
-April got gud as psychokunoichi
-Karai got fixed
-Shredder went super mutant
-Splinter is ****ing dead
-Leatherhead got pissed and drowned Rahzar
-The squad finally kills The Super Shredder
-Tiger Claw got a literal demon to revive Rahzar and Shredder
-Zombie Shredder is literally Eddie from Iron Maiden
-The Demon Ravaxas tries to take over the world but Undead Shredder goes noble and sacrifices himself to send the demon to an underworld dimension
-Rahzar dies again
-The Turtles and the Foot Clan are in apparent peace now.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Everyone else:
"Every game is a serious political discussion, we need games to be politically correct at all times as an example for future generations".

Me, an intellectual:

IMG_20170620_221950.jpg

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
For those who haven't heard, Prodigy, a member of the Rap duo Mobb Deep passed away. He was only 42.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Everyone else:
"Every game is a serious political discussion, we need games to be politically correct at all times as an example for future generations".

Me, an intellectual:

View attachment 130926
The day I talk seriously about having political stuff in every games is the day where my life have passed the point of no return.

Seriously, does even Tetris is something we should talk when it come to politic? Due to the fact the original creator was Russian? or some **** like that?

I don't even know at this point, I think I need to stop reading and go to bed. Video Game Politic is just dumb to me.

Chrono.

So I played Super DBZ for the first time today (on a PS2 emulator) and uh, yeah. It was not a fun game.

BUT I like the music. It's 90s as ****.

Stands out a lot too since DBZ video games tend to go for hard rock music or just the anime's soundtrack.

D

Deleted member

It's true that all players have played. But not everybody who has played is a player.
I don't understand your confusing philosophy but thanks for the pic
The day I talk seriously about having political stuff in every games is the day where my life have passed the point of no return.

Seriously, does even Tetris is something we should talk when it come to politic? Due to the fact the original creator was Russian? or some **** like that?

I don't even know at this point, I think I need to stop reading and go to bed. Video Game Politic is just dumb to me.
I mean, Tetris doesn't have any message or background to it.
When I say "all media is political" I mean ones who have at least the semblance of a message, be it a movie or game through its plot or a song through its lyrics.
Political cmmentaries aren't something new, they have always been there, even if unconciously.
There's no such thing as neutrality and it's silly to think you can write a story without politics.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
lmao

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Just in case anyone doubted the fact that David Cage is a hack.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I think with me the issue is that like many things, people's capacity to portray and discuss politics in a manner that doesn't give the impression of an anvil scraping across a chalkboard is very much subject to Sturgeon's Law.

Steven Universe can portray topics commonly associated with politics without feeling overwhelming or amateur. So why do so many other things feel like people trying shoot strawmen with overloaded potato guns?

I want someone to attempt to handle as many morals as they can safely be eloquent at. I would rather something make a slight effort to do better and do it well than make an extreme effort and have it completely fall on it's face.

And the fact of the matter is? The world is full of people with different worldviews and not all of them are going to handle a situation identically even if they are trying. Humans aren't just red and blue, there's shades of purple in between. That's not very convenient, but it's pretty much impossible to herd humanity into monolithic groups and the people that think you can usually end up making the world worse somehow.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
lmao

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Just in case anyone doubted the fact that David Cage is a hack.

Yeah, that's awkward.

What's the timeframe between the interviews, though? Could've just changed direction.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I don't understand your confusing philosophy but thanks for the pic

I mean, Tetris doesn't have any message or background to it.
When I say "all media is political" I mean ones who have at least the semblance of a message, be it a movie or game through its plot or a song through its lyrics.
Political cmmentaries aren't something new, they have always been there, even if unconciously.
There's no such thing as neutrality and it's silly to think you can write a story without politics.

Eh, yeah I guess?

In that case, I prefer then when it's not put in your throat. As you said, I prefer when it's something you have to think about instead of the story being about policial stuff that doesn't help the story in any way and instead slow it down.

Case in point, Holy Terror and The Dark Knight Strike Again from Frank Miller. Those two comics ard perfect exemple on how to NOT put politic stuff into a story that have already many problem on their own and the politic stuff just keep burying those comic further into the ground.

People can tell the message they want. But in the end, if the game, manga, movie, comic or whatever they make isn't good on their own. Nobody is going to take them seriously when it come to politic. (*COUGH* Marvel comic since those last years *COUGH*)

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
an anvil scraping across a chalkboard

people trying shoot strawmen with overloaded potato guns

Humans aren't just red and blue, there's shades of purple in between.
Real talk.

I adore your metaphors.

Not to diminish the positions - agree all round - but I'm imagining something like Link's Crossbow Training with potato cannons and strawmen and all of a sudden I desperately want this to be a thing.

Kotaku's went up last Thursday.
Verge's went up yesterday.

They were 4 days apart.
Damn.

Alright.

Flipped like a pancake.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Stories can have messages and almost always do, but that doesn't mean every message is political in nature. They flat out aren't by definition of the word.

In order for a story to be "political", it has to be directly dealing with political themes.

For example, if there was a story about two heirs from different nations who marry for the good of their people, that's political. If there is a story about two people who marry because they've been madly in love with each other since they were teenagers, that's not political.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Stories can have messages and almost always do, but that doesn't mean every message is political in nature. They flat out aren't by definition of the word.

In order for a story to be "political", it has to be directly dealing with political themes.

For example, if there was a story about two heirs from different nations who marry for the good of their people, that's political. If there is a story about two people who marry because they've been madly in love with each other since they were teenagers, that's not political.
Brb, writing a story about two heirs from different nations that have been madly in love with each other since they were teenagers.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well, I had to cancel my preorder for Super Mario Odyssey because I'll be nowhere near the switch I share with my wife when the game comes out.

Also, this sure is a tragic year for baseball. Not only is the most overrated team in the entire league on top as far as win and loss records, but now it appears their fanbase is trying to rig the American League starting lineups for the All Star game just like Kansas City did the last two years.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly when people say they want to "keep politics out of (insert entertainment here)" they pretty much just mean "politics I don't agree with." The final product is always going to reflect the author and their beliefs, because a person and their beliefs are so intertwined that a full separation is almost impossible, be it a conscious thing or not.

Take Mario. Having Peach be rescued by a guy and having the representation of an Everyman be a mustachioed Italian guy is, in itself, a political statement, but many don't realize it due to how innocuous it seems. Games like Fire Emblem are so obviously political by the presence of war alone. Xenoblade Chronicles had themes that could be read as atheistic in nature (the whole "we don't need gods" thing, which is also present in Fire Emblem Echoes). Paper Mario Color Splash had a gun control joke.

Hell, Nintendo's games over all have had a VERY strong pro-environmental message. Granted, that shouldn't BE a political issue, but so much of the conservative side of the US is flagrantly anti-environment that it became one.

So basically, Reggie should quit that BS. Nintendo games have been political for a good long while, even if not overtly. And the thing is? That's not a bad thing.

That and this is clearly stemming from the toxic GamerGate/anti-SJW rhetoric the neckbeards have been spewing for years now, since it's coming hot off the tail of the Far Cry 5 controversy (a controversy which shouldn't even exist really), so honestly Reggie shouldn't have felt the need to comment at all. Sorry, not sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom