• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I... *sigh* you know how competitive Smash 4 could have been much more fun if Customs were allowed? Now they're doing it again... on a game that is balanced around the various different Arms and mixing them out.
And it's only going to make it boring because every character will only have 3 possible arms.

Didn't we learn with Palutena's terrible defaults and the pointless defaults of the Miis?

Then they're gonna complain about the game not being competitive-friendly...

I personally wish custom tournaments were still a thing. It caused the game to have a whole new layer of meta that was fascinating. But now, well...they aren't around.

I still love competitive Smash 4, and it's my favorite competitive scene to follow by far. But, a part of me does miss customs a little.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
In case people are interested, a Japanese poll just started to try and determine the most popular of the previous 19 Pokemon movies. You can vote on the 20th Movie website, or since most people here don't know Japanese, you can vote through Twitter using this link: https://ssl.pokemon-movie.jp/eiga_tohyo/forms/

Each of the movies are listed by order of release, including both versions of Movie 14 (Victini), so it shouldn't be hard to figure out.
Will guess Movie 1 will win due to nostalgia, but Movie 8 has my vote regardless. :4lucario:
Voted for Entei's, but Lucario's was a close second for me.

I expect it will be Mewtwo's as well because nostalgia is strong with that movie.

I... *sigh* you know how competitive Smash 4 could have been much more fun if Customs were allowed? Now they're doing it again... on a game that is balanced around the various different Arms and mixing them out.
And it's only going to make it boring because every character will only have 3 possible arms.

Didn't we learn with Palutena's terrible defaults and the pointless defaults of the Miis?

Customs honestly had a couple notable problems that kept them from working too well in Smash, in particular being A) they had a few balancing issues, and they were rarely addressed through patches unlike most base movesets, and B) as mentioned above, unlocking them onto your system was a tedious process and thus not everyone could have access to the many combinations it allows. Miis and Palutena are the exceptions and I won't debate those, but it's more understandable in their case for why they're avoiding it with the others.

Can't speak for ARMS, but if the game's more balanced around them then there shouldn't be a problem with trying to integrate them into the competitive scene.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

How to make competive play not fun 101

Chrono.

I'm looking at Sonic Forces footage again and yeesh. I can't STAND the custom character's jump
Hopefully they tweak it somewhere down the line.

Speaking of Forces and tweaking.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I wouldn't expect it to hit 60fps, but the possibility is still there at least.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Custom moves were awful. I'm critical at times of competitive Smash, but I agree they should be kept out.

Except for Miis, only because they don't HAVE defaults.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd really like to know why the ZSNES can't save a single freaking save state, and why internal saving doesn't freaking work either.

I just wasted a few hours of my life playing Earthbound, and even with saving (or so I thought), the freaking save feature didn't work and all my progress got erased. It's bs.

Word to the wise: ZSNES is crap. There are better emulators out there. Apparently others have had issues with this emulator as well.
ZSNES sucks, use SNES9x instead.

I've never understood why there are people who still use ZSNES.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
ZSNES sucks, use SNES9x instead.

I've never understood why there are people who still use ZSNES.
Yeah, I heard snes9x was a lot better once I did research a couple hours ago.

On the upside, my brother is thankfully letting me borrow his 3ds to play the game. I just bought Earthbound on his Nu3ds system, so I can play it now without any troubles.

I'm still ticked off at the zsnes emu tho...but I'll get over it eventually.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hopefully they tweak it somewhere down the line.

Speaking of Forces and tweaking.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I wouldn't expect it to hit 60fps, but the possibility is still there at least.
Chances are they will go the Unleashed PS3 route and just unlock the frame rate. Will hit 60 FPS when it can but will often hover around 30-45 FPS.

Chrono.

Custom moves were awful. I'm critical at times of competitive Smash, but I agree they should be kept out.

Except for Miis, only because they don't HAVE defaults.
I was on board with custom moves before finding out they were just alterations of the default moves.

That and a lot of em are just plain unbalanced.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Outside of Palutena and Miis, custom moves are pretty terrible for competitive play. They take god damn forever to get, which isn't just an issue for tournaments, but also training with/against them. A lot aren't even all that useful or broken (remember Dongnado?) and after that they're just lame variations on already existing moves.

The entirety of ARMS is balanced around the idea of mixing and matching parts to set up your fighter, so I can understand the disdain for people trying to push against that. But customs in Smash 4? Again, unless it's Palutena and Miis, they're just trouble. Unlockables in general tend to be pretty bad for competitive games.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Outside of Palutena and Miis, custom moves are pretty terrible for competitive play. They take god damn forever to get, which isn't just an issue for tournaments, but also training with/against them. A lot aren't even all that useful or broken (remember Dongnado?) and after that they're just lame variations on already existing moves.

The entirety of ARMS is balanced around the idea of mixing and matching parts to set up your fighter, so I can understand the disdain for people trying to push against that. But customs in Smash 4? Again, unless it's Palutena and Miis, they're just trouble. Unlockables in general tend to be pretty bad for competitive games.
I enjoyed the Villager customs, especially. Maybe that's just me though.

I do think custom moves have some novelty, and a small part of me misses them. But, I'm not crying about it that they're left out of competitive play. Could they add an extra layer of meta? Oh yeah, 99% sure. But it doesn't take away from the competitive Smash 4 experience as a whole.

D

Deleted member

2122 Ganon is the only reason I need customs, really.

Also, the new RE:Creators episode hasn't shown up yet and it's been about 4 hours.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Almost got my Quickened Pulse Seal. Just almost at the 50,000 Mark on Tempest Trials.

I never realized how useful Quickened Pulse is going to be in maps with no reinforcements. Not to mention Speedy units with specials like Luna or Bonfire. Also, Reinhardt+Moonbow+Quickened Seal=One Turn One Kill.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I enjoyed the Villager customs, especially. Maybe that's just me though.

I do think custom moves have some novelty, and a small part of me misses them. But, I'm not crying about it that they're left out of competitive play. Could they add an extra layer of meta? Oh yeah, 99% sure. But it doesn't take away from the competitive Smash 4 experience as a whole.
They're more options, so of course they'll affect the meta, but not all affects on the meta are positive, especially when the barrier to entry is as random and egregious as they are for customs.

I don't deny that there are characters that also benefitted a ton with them, Ganondorf is another who was helped, but regardless, it takes much too much time and effort to get even a quarter of the customs (unless RNG favors you).

Chrono.

Random question, but how do you guys feel about recent focus in fighting games to have a cinematic story mode? NRS started the trend with MK9, but after them we've seen Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear (sort of), Street Fighter, Tekken and, as of recently, Marvel vs Capcom follow suit.

Have you guys been liking it? Or maybe you prefer shorter singular story modes (like Blazblue/P4 Arena)? Or maybe you just don't care about stories in fighting games in general?

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Random question, but how do you guys feel about recent focus in fighting games to have a cinematic story mode? NRS started the trend with MK9, but after them we've seen Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear (sort of), Street Fighter, Tekken and, as of recently, Marvel vs Capcom follow suit.

Have you guys been liking it? Or maybe you prefer shorter singular story modes (like Blazblue/P4 Arena)? Or maybe you just don't care about stories in fighting games in general?
They're great. I love em

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

I personally don't care, and at times feel like they're a waste of time. But I have to realize that so long as someone is having fun with it, then there's really no harm. It's just one more thing to do.

My only real concern is the potential outrage should a fighting game forgo a cinematic story. I've already seen some people livid over the idea of ARMS not having substantial single player content outside of it's arcade mode. Spec Ops: The Line had a multiplayer tacked on because the publisher/dev was afraid people would not see a full priced shooter with just singleplayer was being worth it. That's silly. Judge a game by how well it utilizes it's content, not by how much it has (unless how much it has is the content; i.e Bethesda games).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've actually only played customs for smash 4

I'm not completely sure I could play default

D

Deleted member

Story Modes are great for crossover Fighting games because just having all these characters together kicking each other's ass isn't enough, it's fun to watch them interact with each other.
It also adds some value for players who don't have many chances to play Versus locally and online isn't an option for various reasons.
For non-crossovers, I feel like it helps to add to the story and lore of the characters and the usual story modes(just intros and endings) don't do them much justice imo

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Speaking of fighting games, found a mini-doc series that just started. It focuses arounded various fighting game communities; this one in particular covers Team St1ckBuG, an anime FGC

Ivander

Smash Legend

I don't mind story modes at all. That being said, Soul Calibur 5's story was lackluster due to the release date being advanced forward to January 2012 from June/July 2012. SCV was supposed to have more characters for story mode than just focusing on Patroklos and Pyrrha, not to mention have Bangoo and Cassandra. Than Namco thought it was a good idea to advance SCV's release date to avoid clashing with Street Fighter X Tekken rather than delay it. :glare:

Rant aside, I don't mind story modes in fighting games at all. I don't see them with high value, but I think they are simply an extra fun thing.

D

Deleted member

Oh man, SCV, that rubbed me in the wrong way
I don't mind adding a bunch of new characters but cutting most of the roster just felt alienating to someone who played so much of SCIV and the older games in my cousin's house.
I really hope we get a SCVI someday, just wish that they bring more vets back

Last edited by a moderator:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I don't think I've ever had such a rapid 180 in terms of my opinion of a game as I've had with Arms.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Though on the subject, I think that Story modes are sometimes important to fighting games. When done right, it makes you remember that the giant slab of muscle of a character you control has a story and isn't just some sort of, well, generic slab of muscle. It's the same reason why giving personality to fighting game characters is so important.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Ganondorf with the right custom move is the most fun Ganondorf to play in any Smash game after PM Ganondorf.

Beside, while I won't say that custom moves were great in competitif play. Some character had really broken but fun move to use too bad even casual player don't care about them due to how tiring they are to unlock. :/

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I do enjoy it to some degree. I was a bit surprised to at how much I liked Tekken 7's story. But I don't prefer it to having a wealth of single player content that some games of the PS1 and most of the PS2 era would have.

That's part of the reason why games like Tekken 5 or Soul Calibur 2 are among my favorite fighting games, or games of any genre of all time. They have a lot of different ways to play the core game, either by yourself or with friends and family.

Things like Tournament Mode, Survival, Team Battle, Tekken Bowl or Smash Run are what I personally look for in terms of content rather than a narrative, even if I do enjoy some stories, like Injustice or Tekken 7. Marvel 3 also had a mode where you could take only 1 or 2 fighters, and that was neat.

I'd prefer it more if it didn't take up so many resources.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't mind adding a bunch of new characters but cutting most of the roster just felt alienating to someone who played so much of SCIV and the older games in my cousin's house.

I didn't mind the idea of doing a timeskip. I thought it had potential. That being said, they definitely didn't add enough to compensate. Basically, for one thing, I thought the idea of not bringing some of the female Vets due to their new age was very dumb. I'm more than positive that Taki could still kick ass in her 50s. Then there's a lack of Zasalamel, Talim(who at 35 could've still fit in), Bangoo and a Korean character connected to Hwang, Yun-seung and Seung-Mina.
Than the 3 mimics....Elysium as an Avatar to Soulcalibur as Inferno was to Soul Edge was fine, but making Kilik a mimic character was not. :glare: I wouldn't have minded Elysium and Edge Master as the only mimics, but if you wanted a 3rd Mimic character, you could've done Inferno rather than Kilik.
But like I said, I blame Namco. The development team was planning to add in Bangoo and Cassandra(supposedly with a new Longsword style) as well as make the Story Mode much more diverse than just Patroklos and Pyrrha. But Namco made the stupid decision to advance Soulcalibur 5's release date rather than delay it when they didn't want it to clash with Street Fighter X Tekken and as such, the game, the series, the development team(where the main guys got fired and we got a new director who decided Lost Swords was a good idea and has a fetish for Alexandra girls) and the fans suffered greatly for it. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Funnily this isn't the first time a fighting game, let alone a Namco fighting game had replaced a majority of it's main cast. Things like that are why Street Fighter 3 wasn't as popular as SF2. Though it did take a while for the mechanics to reach Third Strike levels, so that also played a part.

Tekken 3 did something similar, There was a major time skip. Where characters like Baek, Kazuya/Jun, Marshall and Michelle were replaced by Hwoarang, Julia, Forest and Jin. Heihachi and Paul got a lot older. And there's brand new faces like Eddy, Xiaoyu and Bryan. Only Nina, Anna and Lei Wulong(who all ended up looking younger in later games) remained pretty similar to before. Technically there's King II, but you wouldn't be able to tell he's a different dude if you didn't know the lore or whatever.

Despite this Tekken 3 was the most popular in the series. Of course, by Tekken 5, many of the old cast was brought back, and made a lot cooler, like Kazuya and Bruce.

Only time will tell if the MKX cast will stay relevant to the fans. Oh, and yeah, I didn't particularly like SCV's new kids as much.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Funnily this isn't the first time a fighting game, let alone a Namco fighting game had replaced a majority of it's main cast. Things like that are why Street Fighter 3 wasn't as popular as SF2. Though it did take a while for the mechanics to reach Third Strike levels, so that also played a part.

Tekken 3 did something similar, There was a major time skip. Where characters like Baek, Kazuya/Jun, Marshall and Michelle were replaced by Hwoarang, Julia, Forest and Jin. Heihachi and Paul got a lot older. And there's brand new faces like Eddy, Xiaoyu and Bryan. Only Nina, Anna and Lei Wulong(who all ended up looking younger in later games) remained pretty similar to before. Technically there's King II, but you wouldn't be able to tell he's a different dude if you didn't know the lore or whatever.

Despite this Tekken 3 was the most popular in the series. Of course, by Tekken 5, any of the old cast was brought back, and made a lot cooler, like Kazuya and Bruce.

Only time will tell if the MKX cast will stay relevant to the fans. Oh, and yeah, I didn't particularly like SCV's new kids as much.
I think one reason why Tekken 3 was so successful, despite massive cast overhaul, was because the first two games hadn't really caught on much.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I enjoyed it during the test punch. Now I am annoyed. I lose every match I play against human opponents... it's not fun anymore.
I'm sure a lot of us have been there before with a lot of games. I know I've been there with Tekken, and even Smash. Since there's plenty of games where I come close to winning but then **** it up at the very end.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I enjoyed it during the test punch. Now I am annoyed. I lose every match I play against human opponents... it's not fun anymore.
Keep in mind the Testpunch was the first time playing for a lot of people...now people are able to play for more than just an hour at a time so they've gotten better at the game...

Its just a matter of learning...the same with any fighting game, really...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think one reason why Tekken 3 was so successful, despite massive cast overhaul, was because the first two games hadn't really caught on much.
Partially, but you have to keep in mind Tekken 1 and Tekken 2 still sold millions of copies each on their own. Tekken 1 was even the first in PS1 game to sell more than a million copies.

It's just that Tekken 3 basically exploded and is still in the Top 5 most successful fighting games ever made, despite other sales juggernauts like MKX(one of the few that beat it), Smash 4 and MVC2 coming out after.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Killer Instinct's getting released on Steam later this year.

Mods pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom