• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Well, was kind of hoping for something of substance today so I was holding off my impressions of Nintendo's E3 stuff.

Anywho, my expectations were more or less on the money (no Pokémon US/UM, Smash, or VC, Superstar Saga getting announced), save for there being no presence of the 2017 Kirby games announced in April.

Metroid getting love is nice, and including an announcement of intent for Metroid Prime even without any gameplay was probably the right call in order to head off potential outcry à la Pokémon. Similarly, I imagine the Switch Pokémon game'll be well over a year off as well, and was mostly just brought up for damage control, although that's somewhat wishful thinking because the thought of a third Alola game in a row is rather irksome.

Yoshi's Title Pending didn't really do anything for me; I liked Woolly World a lot but I'm not really a fan of the series in general. The artstyle doesn't seem as cohesive, and the gameplay seems more Story than Island anyway. Conversely, Kirby GCN: Back from the Dead looks pretty rad in pretty much every respect; Return to Dream Land's multiplayer x Super Star's helpers should make the game even more enjoyable than RtDL for single-player, and including Squeak Squad-esque copy fusion and the Clean ability's icing on the cake. Time'll tell whether it gets a bit bogged down by gimmicks like Triple Deluxe (and to an extent the other modern games), but I think having multiplayer focus'll make that considerably less likely. The one somewhat unexpected disappointment for me is that we didn't get any new information about the other Kirby games, but admittedly I'm being perhaps a bit greedy. At least knowing the Switch game's on the way means I can put up with the relatively stripped-down 3D gameplay likely in Blowout Blast, and whatever the holiday game ends up being if it's not to my taste.

M&L: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions looks pretty cool; the sprite art for the enemies isn't as dynamic and stylized as the original's, but the backgrounds are gorgeous (and Cackletta and Fawful look all right). Relieved that the world maps look pretty similarly scaled to the original and that everything seems to have the same faster pace of the original game (including the Bros. Attacks), but with the much-appreciated cutscene skip feature from Paper Jam and likely with balance improvements. The subgame looks unintrusive at the least, and hopefully will be at least a bit enjoyable; I do like how it complements the original story. Only thing I really don't care for is the title, since it's not really easy to abbreviate. (SSBM? SS+? SS+BM?)

Lastly, Odyssey's looking pretty sweet. Got to try the demo at Nintendo NY and there seems to be a lot of depth and polish to both the controls and the worlds. Trying not to spoil too much for myself before release (especially since it's sooner than I expected), but I do know that the New Donk City + trailer music is gold. Like, Bowser's battle theme or Gusty Garden's theme from Galaxy gold. Mario constantly upping its jazz game.

All in all, pretty decent showing even if Mario Kart + Kirby are the only multiplayer Switch titles I've really been captured by thus far. Smash and VC will do wonders to round that out whenever they feel like getting around to it, but I'm not at all surprised they didn't make an appearance here.

Completely unrelatedly, on the subject of this interview:
I really hate Reggie's corporate-speak regarding MOTHER 3. Last year's dodging of the question by saying "maybe ask me about Metroid next year" (nice future advertisement, but completely unrelated to the particular demand) was bad enough. This is just insulting, though, since it's essentially being lumped in with F-Zero / Paper Mario / what-have-you in the "we want to do new things with the series rather than the same old schtick" camp (which still reads as a bit B.S. to me for some series), except it's referring to a game that already exists in a series that is explicitly is not being continued, at least without completely new direction.

I understand that Nintendo's a business, MOTHER's probably not anywhere near the biggest seller, and MOTHER 3 might very well not be worth the development cost to localize a text-heavy game with 10+ year old source code for the number of sales it'd get (and plunking down 20+ year old already-translated ROMs of its predecessors wholesale is another matter altogether). But would it kill them to just say "it's not in the cards" rather than lumping it in with series that don't have as high barriers to continuing, when that's clearly what's actually being said?

Completely unrelatedly again, and on the lighter side:
So something I thought about asking regarding the Switch's portability:

If you could choose ANY 5 games from ANY previous non-handheld system for the Switch just for the sheer fact that you could play those games anywhere on the go, which 5 would you choose?
Off the top of my head:
  • Paper Mario: TTYD
  • Kirby Air Ride
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • Superstar Saga with some means of doing the fake "co-op" mode like on the Game Boy Player / Wii U VC. Totally counts, right?

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Oh yeah, the presence of a Magic stat and Resistance stat pretty much confirms playable mages. Not that there was any doubt, of course.

Robin, Tharja, and hopefully Merric hype engaged.
Nah, they're just going to have magic sword users.

Robin might get in, but he'd only use the Levin Sword. :troll:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So, from people who have played Sonic Forces at E3, the general reception has been positive.

There is one criticism that keeps popping up though, and that's the jumping physics of the Avatar. Apparently it has "NES Castlevania" physics, and you get locked into whatever speed you were at before you jumped, making it very difficult to correct jumps. The Ivory (Lighting) Wisp offers a double jump or some kind of jump correction, and we know the Bird species have a double jump. But other than that, Avatar has a weird jump problem.

Hopefully that gets fixed, it's the only issue players of the game have been bringing up (aside from the frame drops/30 FPS on Switch). It'd be a shame if they didn't fix this and it hurt the reception of the avatar, since it's something they can easily fix. The two Sonics control fine from what people have been saying.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so 5 games i want ported to switch?

Monster hunter world
Persona 5
Gotcha force
Digimon stories: cyber sleuth
Dragon ball fighter Z

Chrono.

So, from people who have played Sonic Forces at E3, the general reception has been positive.

There is one criticism that keeps popping up though, and that's the jumping physics of the Avatar. Apparently it has "NES Castlevania" physics, and you get locked into whatever speed you were at before you jumped, making it very difficult to correct jumps. The Ivory (Lighting) Wisp offers a double jump or some kind of jump correction, and we know the Bird species have a double jump. But other than that, Avatar has a weird jump problem.

Hopefully that gets fixed, it's the only issue players of the game have been bringing up (aside from the frame drops/30 FPS on Switch). It'd be a shame if they didn't fix this and it hurt the reception of the avatar, since it's something they can easily fix. The two Sonics control fine from what people have been saying.
From what I've seen there's no real flow to their gameplay (you'll be speeding one minute then stopping to clear mobs).

But I also can't tell if people are just bad at it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
From what I've seen there's no real flow to their gameplay (you'll be speeding one minute then stopping to clear mobs).

But I also can't tell if people are just bad at it.
Pretty sure enemies are optional in most cases.

There's a part in the Modern Sonic stage where you can clear out enemies for some extra Rings and a Red Star Ring, but I haven't seen any instances where slowing down for enemies was necessary. Probably just players taking it slow.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

I consider the Smash port rumor dead in the water after this year's E3. The next Smash game would probably be considered the next full entry into the series instead of a port at this point.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Hmm....the Rainway App is still being listed for the Switch.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/rainway-pc-game-streaming-nintendo-switch-support/
Interesting. And the developers were in talks with Nintendo a month ago.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...intendo_regarding_pc_game_streaming_on_switch
Hmm....is it possible? Might it actually happen?

Stay Tuned for Another Episode of "What is Coming Out for the Next Nintendo System?!"
They said it was coming out on November 25th IIRC

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I really hate Reggie's corporate-speak regarding MOTHER 3. Last year's dodging of the question by saying "maybe ask me about Metroid next year" (nice future advertisement, but completely unrelated to the particular demand) was bad enough. This is just insulting, though, since it's essentially being lumped in with F-Zero / Paper Mario / what-have-you in the "we want to do new things with the series rather than the same old schtick" camp (which still reads as a bit B.S. to me for some series), except it's referring to a game that already exists in a series that is explicitly is not being continued, at least without completely new direction.
I really think that whole "Derp De Doo, we needz new gimmix to make da new entree" stuff I keep hearing from Nintendo's higher-ups is what makes me hate their higher-ups so god-damn much. In addition to it coming off as a lazy excuse, why would a series need new gimmicks to keep going?! Don't fix what ain't broken.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

I consider the Smash port rumor dead in the water after this year's E3. The next Smash game would probably be considered the next full entry into the series instead of a port at this point.
Oh, Push, bud. I love you to pieces.

But on a day where they just said they're considering more Wii U to Switch ports?

It's far from over/dead. Smash makes sense as the most logical to be ported over.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Oh, Push, bud. I love you to pieces.

But on a day where they just said they're considering more Wii U to Switch ports?

It's far from over/dead. Smash makes sense as the most logical to be ported over.
Haha I made this video before that quote came out. Poor timing :p

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A Polygon interview with Reggie basically confirms that MP4 was revealed because of MSR being a 3DS game and that they wanted fans to understand that a Metroid experience is coming for both systems, not one or the other...

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Haha I made this video before that quote came out. Poor timing :p
It's alright, Push; we still love you, although I will admit you startled me when I first saw you post that. :p

This is a bit of a silly question, but what will you have to fix or clarify in your video based off this news? :o

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
They regain some faith for Bomberman R and then....

Boom. They explode it just like that.

Pun intended.
So I guess game companies really don't learn from their mistakes. I really hope this company goes under, it's the only real karma that I'd accept.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
A Polygon interview with Reggie basically confirms that MP4 was revealed because of MSR being a 3DS game and that they wanted fans to understand that a Metroid experience is coming for both systems, not one or the other...
so in other words, he wanted everyone to chill out before everone freaks out?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
At this point I think Smash Switch will build off Smash Wii U but on a grander scale than a DX port. It would have tons of new content to justify it being a new release, but it will keep the old content.

At this point, making a new engine from scratch isn't required for Smash, it'd do more harm than good.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
At this point I think Smash Switch will build off Smash Wii U but on a grander scale than a DX port. It would have tons of new content to justify it being a new release, but it will keep the old content.

At this point, making a new engine from scratch isn't required for Smash, it'd do more harm than good.
If Sakurai stays he'd probably make a new engine anyways.
That's part of the reason why I linda want to see someone else take over the reigns

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

It's alright, Push; we still love you, although I will admit you startled me when I first saw you post that. :p

Will you have to fix or clarify anything in your video based off this news? :o
I just read the quote, and still think it confirms that "limited content port" rumor is dead. It states that Nintendo is evaluating on whether they want to port games to the systems and making sure those experiences are the definitive version.

D

Deleted member

I seriously thought this video was clickbait before watching it.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Because it wasn't revealed 3 months into the Switch's life? Maybe they don't want to reveal too many Deluxe ports at once? Maybe they don't want 3 fighting games to compete with each other in the same year? Maybe they're putting more time into this port compared to other ports? There are a number of reasons why it wouldn't be revealed yet.

Sure Sakurai doesn't like making ports, but it's totally plausible that Nintendo is making a port without him. It wouldn't be hard to do a port without him.

I don't think it's worth ignoring all the rumors just yet.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

That seems like it would be the ideal approach. It would mean they'd have an easier time not using Sakurai's help, it'd allow them to have old Amiibo be more forwards compatible and not. . .horribly tick everyone off, but at the same time they could rebrand and establish a more elaborate game.

No Smash past 64 has ever REALLY been made from scratch, but with models at the same definition as their current system with serviceable polygons and a perfectly fine engine behind it all, they have a lot more they're free to recycle than ever before.

Take Smash 4, use the Ballot as a reference when slipping in new characters. . .they have the ideal formula to make the maximum amount of Smash Bros with the minimum amount of effort. I hope they take advantage of it.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Because it wasn't revealed 3 months into the Switch's life? Maybe they don't want to reveal too many Deluxe ports at once? Maybe they don't want 3 fighting games to compete with each other in the same year? Maybe they're putting more time into this port compared to other ports? There are a number of reasons why it wouldn't be revealed yet.

Sure Sakurai doesn't like making ports, but it's totally plausible that Nintendo is making a port without him. It wouldn't be hard to do a port without him.

I don't think it's worth ignoring all the rumors just yet.
If they are putting more work into the port than that kills the original rumor that it'd have 2-3 new characters with other limited new content (new Mii Costumes and 3DS stages ported over was what I heard in particular).

Based on data mining from 1.1.6 I did, the game was probably being ported slightly before the Bayonetta Patch. The fact that it was a no show at E3, the time when every Smash has been unveiled up until now, means we might have another year before it surfaces. If that's the case I'd expect a lot more content.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Mario Party 4 is my favorite Metroid Prime Game.

The part where Daisy used a Mega Mushroom to do battle against a Waluigi-mounted Ridley in Shy Guy's Jungle Jam was my favorite part.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I just read the quote, and still think it confirms that "limited content port" rumor is dead. It states that Nintendo is evaluating on whether they want to port games to the systems and making sure those experiences are the definitive version.
I of course respect and even agree with your opinion in some form based off what you saw in the quote.

If I had to jump in with my opinion, I believe this quote does help to support that any future Wii U games that get ports will receive new content in a similar light to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. As we all know, this was a very successful example of a port of a Wii U game that added some new content to entice previous buyers of the original game. If Nintendo continues to follow this plan with games like Smash, it'll easily help them with sales and help to expand the Switch's selection of games.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I could see it being a 2018 release with more content than Mario Kart got, Pokken got a lot new content in it's port, but it's really only because well those characters had never been released state side and were only in Arcades.

I don't know if it'll add as many new fighters as Pokken DX does though.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Ever Oasis has to be the most terribly-marketed game Nintendo has ever made, like, what even, it comes out next week and no one even knew that
Probably the most underrated game in my opinion.
Well, it makes sense since it is a 3ds title...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I do also believe we'll see Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2 (probably bundled with Bayo 3 like Bayo 1 was with 2, hell they might even do a 3 pack of all Bayonetta games), and Smash.

But I can't imagine what other games would necessarily need a port.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I do also believe we'll see Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2 (probably bundled with Bayo 3 like Bayo 1 was with 2, hell they might even do a 3 pack of all Bayonetta games), and Smash.

It makes complete sense to port these games over from a marketing and variety standpoint in my opinion.

Well, people have been asking for DKC: Tropical Freeze to be ported over to the Switch. However, I personally want a new game in the series with K. Rool back as the main antagonist. If necessary, perhaps Tropical Freeze can be bundled with this new DKC game to allow those who missed it to experience the second adventure while playing this whole new adventure? :o

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Considering their criteria, I'm not sure what other games could GET a port.

Smash and Mario Maker are the only things that are particularly easy to add content to that immediately come to mind. Bayo I guess they could add more costumes to on top of bundling it.

Needing to add additional content to warrant a port doesn't mesh very well with single player games in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom