• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 5 - Thanks, Everyone

Personal Highlight of the Mini Direct?

• Super Mario Odyssey Update

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fe

• Celeste

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It was at least fair to assume that Smash might come at this E3 as it's easily the best place for them to announce any sort of content related to the game. Now that those chances seem unlikely at this point, I guess I shouldn't expect it here and I instead should talk about other games or go back to remaining silent on the subject.
It's not fair to make assumptions (unless something is explicitly confirmed beforehand), it's fair to have hopes. Assumptions lead to the kind of unnecessary frustration you're experiencing because you convince yourself something is going to happen and then feel shortchanged when it doesn't.

E3 might be the best place for announcements but it's not the only place for announcements, and that in and of itself should indicate not everything to announce will always be present.

The only reason I ask about Sakurai is usually if there's Smash news he says something before hand. Unless he's considering the port to Switch to be an all new game and a surprise.
Well, first, there's still room for that to happen. But more importantly, usually the game is announced far too early and all there is to go on are Sakurai statements. This time, since it'd be a port, they'd probably just show the port. Less development time, lower profile, no need to pad out like three ****ing years of waiting. Then the Sakurai statements would follow.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Treehouse is on the 15th too right?

After both of the remaining tournaments are over?

Seems kind of waste to have the Treehouse on the 15th when your E-Sports things are over and you've probably covered all the games you've revealed that have playable builds at this point.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It's not fair to make assumptions (unless something is explicitly confirmed beforehand), it's fair to have hopes. Assumptions lead to the kind of unnecessary frustration you're experiencing because you convince yourself something is going to happen and then feel shortchanged when it doesn't.

E3 might be the best place for announcements but it's not the only place for announcements, and that in and of itself should indicate not everything to announce will always be present.
I guess I meant to say that I was having high hopes for this E3 rather then making assumptions. And yeah, perhaps we'll see the game later; it's just a matter of when that makes me curious.

The Treehouse is on the 15th too right?

After both of the remaining tournaments are over?

Seems kind of waste to have the Treehouse on the 15th when your E-Sports things are over and you've probably covered all the games you've revealed that have playable builds at this point.
The 15th is an interesting day; I want to hope we'll see something then, but I can't say for sure whether or not we will see anything on that day.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
It's not a surprise that Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Pyra starting to get many fanarts.

This one I found funny but also a bit NSFW, so I have to censor it.
So this is what happens if Mario accidentally possessed Pyra...
View attachment 130756
You can pretty much guess why Mario was astonished. It's also cool to see Pyra's pupil change to Mario's pupil.
:denzel:
The more I like Pyra's design, I get more mad at the Namekian Dragon Balls sized bust, because that means more unsafe fanart and less avi options.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
:denzel:
The more I like Pyra's design, I get more mad at the Namekian Dragon Balls sized bust, because that means more unsafe fanart and less avi options.
Don't who that is but you are right... I'm can even guess Saitou might even draw some unsafe arts of Pyra, Nia, and other female characters in their special artbook if they have some kind of special edition. I said it before Saitou had drawn unsafe arts before.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

If I had to guess, he's either working on a new game or is still taking a break from all the work he did last year; either one would make sense.
From the looks of it, he's on to his next project. He took the gun off of a toy as a reference for his work a while back.

Considering the look of the gun, either the game he's working on is futuristic or he's sending something off the rails again.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
But the 3DS isn't dead.

Smash 5, on the other hand...
Honestly if we don't see a Smash announcement by the end of the treehouse, I think the 3ds is the only reason why.

But the 3ds version is inferior so I really don't get why they'd leave the best smash game to play( in terms of roster and more for most) on a failed system when they can sell the switch like hotcakes by announcing a smash port with new characters.

I don't think we will see smash this E3 now, but Nintendo has made stranger decisions. It make more sense if it was in the spotlight but who knows. I could see it be announced near the end as one last blowout and to show they want to push their influence in upcoming competitive scenes.

Once again don't think that would happen but it would make some sense I guess.
Where is Sakurai atm anyway? Is he on a vacation?
Back to bathing in the fountain of youth so he can come back looking younger next smash.
From the looks of it, he's on to his next project. He took the gun off of a toy as a reference for his work a while back.

Considering the look of the gun, either the game he's working on is futuristic or he's sending something off the rails again.
It's actually a shoot em up F Zero game. Finally reviving the series and answering why Captain Falcon has a gun.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Duck Hunt b o y z.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly if we don't see a Smash announcement by the end of the treehouse, I think the 3ds is the only reason why.

But the 3ds version is inferior so I really don't get why they'd leave the best smash game to play( in terms of roster and more for most) on a failed system when they can sell the switch like hotcakes by announcing a smash port with new characters.
But the Wii U version is the inferior one.

That's the real reason it needs the port, to make it better.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
But the Wii U version is the inferior one.

That's the real reason it needs the port, to make it better.
Any version that held back the roster by default? Inferior.

Graphically? Inferior.

It's all down to opinion but there's far more reasons in my opinion why 3DS is the inferior version.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Duck Hunt b o y z.
That'd be one heck of a Duck Hunt, LOL.

I'll get the picture if I can find it, but I have to stick a disclaimer that he's using the GUN as a reference. When the info was going around people kept jumping to the conclusion that he was using what was holding it too when that's not what was said.

I think I found an image of what it might be in an article?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
G'day mates, I'm proud to announce that I've officially made my own Hunger Games thread in the Forum Games section as suggested by @Purrfect Cell

https://smashboards.com/threads/welcome-to-the-hunger-games-hosted-by-aussie-the-shinobi.448331/

So yes, the games will continue and I can start the next game immediately if you all ant. Just stop by the thread and make your requests in there and not here. And Dr. Falcillier will be there from this morning's match since he won fair and square (@Bestmand902).

I know how hungry you all are for more Hunger Games. :p

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
As I've said, getting Smash ported to the Switch whenever they can would be nice. However, I may as well ask you guys this since I don't think I've asked this specific question before; how many of you want to move on from the Wii U version of Smash and go to a theoretical Switch version of the game that's either a port or a new game?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
G'day mates, I'm proud to announce that I've officially made my own Hunger Games thread in the Forum Games section as suggested by @Purrfect Cell

https://smashboards.com/threads/welcome-to-the-hunger-games-hosted-by-aussie-the-shinobi.448331/

So yes, the games will continue and I can start the next game immediately if you all ant. Just stop by the thread and make your requests in there and not here. And Dr. Falcillier will be there from this morning's match since he won fair and square (@Bestmand902).

I know how hungry you all are for more Hunger Games. :p
Oh goody. Now we can experience paradise and madness at the same time, but elsewhere. Let me grab the popcorn and shower right quick.

I'll definitely be ready with my candidates soon.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Any version that held back the roster by default? Inferior.

Graphically? Inferior.

It's all down to opinion but there's far more reasons in my opinion why 3DS is the inferior version.
Other than Ice Climbers, who were very low priority anyway, you can't say the 3DS version held back the roster.

50+ characters, with custom moves, is still a hell of an achievement for either version. Nobody was expecting that many characters even before we knew there would be two versions, definitely not with Custom Moves.

Also, are Nintendo fans of all people really gonna use graphics as an argument? I mean yeah, the Wii U version looks better in most ways, but it's Smash, the graphics only need to be serviceable. It's just an a cherry on top when they look nice.

The Wii U version has way more flaws that actually hamper the gameplay experience, especially if you look at it as the successor to Brawl.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The only reason the Ice Climbers became low priority were because of the 3DS. I've never understood why people don't get that concept. Lol. Stop using that as a crutch to defend the 3DS version.

IMO

3DS
+single player modes
+smash run
++++++portability
-stages (especially legal stages)

Wii U
+graphics
++++++Control options (super important for a fighting game)
-singleplayer modes
-smash tour

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only reason the Ice Climbers became low priority were because of the 3DS. I've never understood why people don't get that concept. Lol. Stop using that as a crutch to defend the 3DS version.
No, they are just low priority in general. Sakurai has said this. When any Smash game is in development, Sakurai prioritises characters with relevancy and legacy, even among veterans. Veterans who lack these, like Ice Climbers, are cut if they need to cut anyone at all.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No, they are just low priority in general. Sakurai has said this. When any Smash game is in development, Sakurai prioritises characters with relevancy and legacy, even among veterans. Veterans who lack these, like Ice Climbers, are cut if they need to cut anyone at all.
Okay, but lol, the only reason they were cut was not because of that. You are using that low priority as a crutch to support your 3DS game. It's simple as at that.

They were cut because of the 3DS, and the ''They are low priority" is bull****, because well, if Sakurai is gonna cut anyone it's not going to be a Nintendo veteran with one of the most unique playstyles. Their playstyle certainly has them probably pretty higher than even some of the other veterans.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the note of the Ice Climbers, here's the exact quote Source Gaming had:

Even if I cram in as many fighters as I can, there are some people who are focused on the few who didn’t make it back. Among them are the Ice Climbers, who were playable during development on the Wii U. However, moving the two as a pair required significant processing power. The 3DS was already being pushed to its limit, and I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried, so I gave up on them. The other fighters had to be whittled and pared down until I could get them to work, so it was simply unavoidable.

I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried: I removed as many joints as I possibly could, and even when I removed certain effects, like gravity, they still wouldn’t work. Olimar and his Pikmin were also extremely difficult, but I managed to at least get them to work.

Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority. Furthermore, transferring them from Melee would be difficult because the original data is old.
The quote about them being low priority seems to be separate and is not highlighted as the main reason, but even if it wasn't the interview in the way it's phrased is pretty clear in that the 3DS was what hindered the Ice Climber's return the most. They were playable on the Wii U, but couldn't break through onto the 3DS and that on top of roster parity killed them for Smash 4. There are probably other factors like the low priority of older franchises, but that is the reason that Sakurai does focus on the most when it comes to their exclusion.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Okay, but lol, the only reason they were cut was not because of that. You are using that low priority as a crutch to support your 3DS game. It's simple as at that.

They were cut because of the 3DS, and the ''They are low priority" is bull****, because well, if Sakurai is gonna cut anyone it's not going to be a Nintendo veteran with one of the most unique playstyles. Their playstyle certainly has them probably pretty higher than even some of the other veterans.
I mean you can deny it all you want, but he said this himself. If, for any reason there needs to be cuts, Ice Climbers are pretty early on the chopping block because they have no legacy and no relevancy.

It doesn't matter anyway if they were cut because of the 3DS, they are one character that not many people use. This also isn't a direct criticism of the 3DS version. Both games are missing them.

On the note of the Ice Climbers, here's the exact quote Source Gaming had:

The quote about them being low priority seems to be separate and is not highlighted as the main reason, but even if it wasn't the interview in the way it's phrased is pretty clear in that the 3DS was what hindered the Ice Climber's return the most. They were playable on the Wii U, but couldn't break through onto the 3DS and that on top of roster parity killed them for Smash 4. There are probably other factors like the low priority of older franchises, but that is the reason that Sakurai does focus on the most when it comes to their exclusion.
I'm aware of the quote. I wasn't denying that the 3DS version was the main reason in this case, but even if another scenario arised where they had to cut characters, Ice Climbers would be early on that list.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I thought they were cut because Sakurai couldn't get them working on 3DS.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I said I was going to give my thoughts on the Sonic news later, and that's exactly what'll be doing now.

Let's get the easiest out of the way.

Sonic Mania is still looking fantastic. It's right up there with Super Mario Odyssey as my most anticipated game of the year. Everything about it is literally perfect. Having the Death Egg Robot be the boss of Green Hill is very amusing, though I honestly wished they kept that a surprise. Green Hill Zone Act 2 and Mirage Saloon's music have had some extra bells and whistles added to their music. Though both sound really good, I honestly prefer the older rendition of Mirage Saloon. Despite that small issue, Sonic Mania has the potential to be one of the best games of the year.

Now onto Sonic Forces. I have a lot to say.

As some of you may know, I've been rather mixed on Forces. I see some things I like, and I see some things that leave a lot to be desired. Getting to the gameplay first, I will admit it does look a little better. Modern Sonic looks to control much tighter than he did in Generations, his jump and homing attack appear to be very quick and snappy, which helps with the flow much better. The level design opens up near the end, which gets rid some of the worries of linearity in the level design. The music is catchy, but that's usually par for the course when it comes to the series. I'd rather be Modern be fully 3D, him having 2D sections is redundant with Classic Sonic around.

Speaking of which, I'm ironically finding the Classic Sonic bits to the parts of the game I'm liking the least. Even the music is much weaker compared to the other tunes in the game (though the boss fight music is ok). The level design in Classic Sonic's Green Hill is very flat, and has way too much automation (same applies for Modern). Maybe it's because we have Sonic Mania, but Classic Sonic in this game looks very underwhelming. The boss was okay, bringing the Egg Dragoon into the battle is a neat idea, but a part of me wishes that they came up with something new. I just want to see something from Classic Sonic that makes me say "yes, I can't wait to play this." Having the Drop Dash from Mania is neat, but that's about it.

Now onto the Custom Hero. I was against the idea of a custom character, but I will admit it has grown on me. A part of me didn't want it because the very idea would make people rip this game to shreds. Though I'm relived to see it's reception has been more positive. As for how they play, it looks alright, if a little on the bland side. The Wispons look like they could be very fun and provide different ways for platforming. I like how they keep the flow going, rather than stopping the gameplay for bit (I like the Wisps but most of them didn't really flow too well in terms of traversing). It looks like a great evolution from the Wisps in Colors. Maybe it's becausing I've been watching this show, but the music in the Custom Hero's stage gives me some vibes of RWBY's OST (which is a good thing because RWBY's OST kicks ass). The level design in the Green Hill stage looks better than the Park Avenue stage, I will say.

Finally, we get to that story trailer. Aside from Modern Sonic, the story is probably what has me the most intrigued about this game. The more serious tone is something I've wanted for awhile (not Sonic 06 levels, but something along the lines of the Adventure games and Unleashed). With that said, I'm very worried that Pontac and Graff seem to returning to write for the game. While I don't hate them as much as some fans do, I wouldn't miss them if they left. Their comedic writing style just doesn't seem fit for a game that has supposedly high stakes and seriousness to it. I could be proven wrong, but I think both Pontac and Graff have an uphill battle.

The return of Chaos and Zavok has me intrigued, along with Shadow being a villain this time around. Are they brainwashed? Pulled from timelines where they still had vendettas against Sonic? Zavok makes sense (even if it is surprising to see him back), but Chaos and Shadow have reformed. The new villain Infinite also raises some questions. Will he betray Eggman or stick with him until the end? Maybe Infinite will attempt to overthrow Eggman, but the doctor has the upper hand? I may have worries about who's writing the story, but the story itseld has left a lot of questions that I'm looking forward to seeing the answers too.

And that concludes my overly long thoughts.

TLDR version: Sonic Mania is looking phenomenal. Sonic Forces has me interested, but it's definitely on the lower end of game I'm looking forward to this year,

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean you can deny it all you want, but he said this himself. If, for any reason there needs to be cuts, Ice Climbers are pretty early on the chopping block because they have no legacy and no relevancy.

It doesn't matter anyway if they were cut because of the 3DS, they are one character that not many people use. This also isn't a direct criticism of the 3DS version. Both games are missing them.
Okay, but here's the thing you're failing to understand about the ''He said it himself".

PR.

Everyone in the entertainment industry of any kind. Just says stuff for PR. They say things they think will be best for the scenario at any given time.

Nothing that comes out of a public figures mouth ever matters, because it's all calculated and could be countered with evidence suggesting otherwise.

Because guess what? Sakurai has also said he doesn't enjoy cutting anyone and that he hates cutting characters because all of them has fans, which goes directly against his low priority, legacy, relevancy claims.

This is why anytime he says something he directly counters like ''No fighting game characters" then Ryu,

''Third party people have to be special cases or gaming icons." (which people misunderstood anyways) and then comes Bayonetta.

People need to stop being shocked.

So little bit of advice, stop puting so much stock in what Sakurai says because 9 times of 10 he doesn't mean it and it's just a calculated move on his part to control a situation that he is in control of.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Since Nintendo is publishing Skyrim Switch, that'd be my guess. Maybe Xenoblade.
Xenoblade is very niche and Skyrim is a years old game that many people have already played.

So I don't think either would be a good ''For the sales' game in reality.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Xenoblade is very niche and Skyrim is a years old game that many people have already played.

So I don't think either would be a good ''For the sales' game in reality.
Fire Emblem Warriors? My only other guess is something that hasn't been revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom