• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
My guess is that the writers still keep the kid audience in mind, and you'll always have a new set of kids that will be introduced to the Pokemon franchise, possibly from the anime. Perhaps the writers keep on making Ash lose because they want kids to learn that they can't always win everything, and as children grow up and see that Ash keeps on losing, they'll probably have moved on to some other aspect of Pokemon for them to enjoy, but yet again, you have a new set of kids that will be introduced to the anime, and then they'll learn about the meaning of loss. It's basically on ongoing cycle.

For me, in the events leading up to the Kalos League, I've learned to not get my hopes up that much about Ash winning the League. As much as I want Ash to win a League, I've also come to accept Ash losing because the writers want to keep on teaching the lesson about losing to the new batch of younger audience. I've come to watch the anime not to see Ash win the League, but rather to see how Ash and the people he travels with develop throughout the season and what kind of events will unfold as Ash reaches the League. If Ash and the other important characters in the season develop well and the events are entertaining enough to catch my interest, I'll watch the series.

In the case of a series like B/W, I didn't enjoy it because Ash didn't develop very well, returning back to his immature self like he was in the original series, not to mention most of the other characters weren't very enjoyable, most events throughout the season were not written too well (whether it'd be the poorly-done Team Plasma arc or that pointless filler season where Ash and the gang travel from island to island on their way to Kanto), and things felt too formulaic overall. I think the only things I really enjoyed from BW was how Meloetta interacted with Ash and Cynthia's return and that was it. Pretty much lost an interest in the anime at the time.

For X/Y, different story. One of the main reasons I gained a renewed interested in the anime was because of Serena and how the pre-release advertisements mentioned she was a childhood friend to Ash, and man was she worth the hype. Easily the best female companion Ash has ever had IMO. Not only is she the first female companion to have a crush on Ash, but she undergoes really good character development as the series progresses, both as a performer and a friend. Clemont and Bonnie were also enjoyable too, and characters like Korrina and Alain got some interesting spotlight. Battles are more hype worthy to watch in the series thanks to the highly improved animation. Ash himself is also more likable, showing some great development in episodes such as the one after losing to Wulfric and and the way he handles his Kalos League finals loss, and displaying more maturity compared to other seasons.

And while the writers will still keep formulaic writings such as Ash losing the League and Ash leaving behind his friends from the region at the end of the series, they still made some interesting changes as the series progressed. In addition to Serena being the first female companion to having a crush in Ash, she is also the first character in the series to cut her hair halfway through the series to represent a change in her personality (a common cliche in anime, yes, but this hasn't been done in Pokemon until now). Then, there's Ash losing two Gym Battles instead of one (last time that happened was in Kanto), good symbolism (such as the flashing lights in the hospital hallway in Mega Evolution Act IV when Alain overhears Mairin crying to symbolize inner conflict, the bonfire in XY&Z episode 8 that symbolizes Bonnie's growing despair over Squishy's absence to the point that one of the logs in the fire falls down, representing the moment Bonnie's despair peaks and starts to cry, and the snowstorm in one episode to symbolize the trouble Ash and Greninja face with the the evolution of the Vivillions following the storm to symbolize a new beginning for Ash and Greninja), and darker moments in the series such as the events in the Team Flare arc (which also deserves a mention for being the best villainous team arc in the entire anime, blowing the past three out of the water).

TL;DR - If a season in the Pokemon anime gets good development throughout it such as many memorable battles, Ash, friends, and even rivals developing as characters and becoming likable in the process, and perhaps even the writers changing up things not counting the League and the end of the season, chances are I'll get hooked onto that season of the anime. If Sun and Moon will have good battles, likable characters, good writing, and not reset Ash's personality, I'll probably be hooked to it as well, but I'll judge if it'll be worth watching once I see the first 5-10 episodes.
I guess you are right, at this point I'm focusing more into seeing certain pokemons are or interact with one another (I dunno, Snivy being all cool, Oshawott being awkward and Tepig being...bacon Tepig for example), or just enjoying the appearances of certain pokemons I like, I don't, I stopped focussing into the human characters for a long time, and Ash's voice changing from one day to another, at least in the Latin Spanish version didn't help either.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Well, just got back from a first annual video game show/exchange convention a couple miles where I live. It was really fun! There a lots of games and knick-knacks but didn't see any games I truly wanted or on systems I don't own.

But I didn't l leave empty handed: I bought a poster depicting the boxart of Japanese Smash 64

And three booster packs from the 1996 Killer Instinct Collectable Card Game (36 cards total)

Now the tough question for me: Do I open any of the packs to see whats inside or none of them for collector's purposes???

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y update:
Team:
Frojer
Fire Birb
Grover
Galaxia

Didn't have much time to play since I've done my Homework all day.
I caught 2 Pokemon that I wanted on my team.
I did the whole Perfume Palace sidequest, and I have to say that some of the trainers in that area are really annoying to fight against, such as the tourists.
The male one has his Volbeat spam confuse ray and then use Moonlight when it's at low HP.
The female one is even worse, she has an Illumise with no attacking move, but instead it spams Charm/Play Nice so that spamming swords dance doesn't work, and whenever it LOSES HP, it uses Moonlight
And don't even get me started on the 2 Pokefans with their Forfrou
I developed a huge hatred towards this Pokemon due to its Fur coat abillity, which makes it absurdely hard to KO, unless you use Special moves, and I have only one Team member that has a reliable Special attack stat
I also caught :143: and named it Chubbs after the Snorlax I used in my FireRed run a few weeks ago
Current location: was it Route 7? I can't remember

Last edited by a moderator:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
First Y update in a while, though it is admittedly a really short one: Slowpoke has finally evolved into Slowking! Now I can finally get things back on the road. Next stop, Shalour gym!

:199:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well, that's true, but, MANY have wanted to see him win a real League, not just getting closer to do so, and then losing like always.
To be fair this is the closest he got.

And he really didn't choke and he had excuses against certain ones

• Kanto: His Charizard got lazy as usual and he didn't even get into Top 12
  • Johto: He beat Gary but was beaten out by Harrison due to "no knowledge of Pokemon from a different reigon"
  • Sinnoh: He was on a unbelievable roll that the anime universe literally said no the worst way possible. Losing to a Darkrai.
  • Unova: He was at his stupidest and really didn't get far with his trash Pokemon.
He had no excuse for Hoenn though since his team was going all out and he lost to a trash Meowth in the Top 6

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Welp, I just beat Fire & Ice. It's a surprisingly short game, and I did get most of the collectibles. Though I'll have to do most levels over again for Time Trials and the last few collectibles.

But yeah, what I said yesterday about it holds true. It didn't really get any dips in quality, and some of the later levels are some of the best in the game honestly. My only real complaint is most of the unlockables (mostly earned by hunting collectibles in the levels) so far are fairly pointless. The concept art and descriptions are cool. But other than that, the only unlockables seem to be Bot Racing Bots/Powers, Bot Racing stages, and different hammers for Amy (which are purely cosmetic). Bot Racing is local only and does support Download Play, but it seems to lack any way to try Bot Racing against A.I opponents, and I don't really have anyone to play the game with so I'm sort of stuck unlocking stuff that doesn't do anything.

I was expecting Shadow and Metal Sonic to show up because of that pre-order bonus in NA that comes with a DVD of episodes featuring them, as if it were to be a promotional tie in to the game, but no, they don't show up at all. Unless 100%'ing the game lets you play as them or something, but in terms of the story, they don't show up.

I didn't even rush this game or anything, I actually played through a good chunk of it while waiting to get my hair cut. :p

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'mm 99% sure that Star Wars Rebels just hinted at a fairly big moment that might happen:

Ezra and Maul join the Sith and Jedi Holocrons to help them find something they want.
Ezra wants the "key to destroying the Sith" and Maul say's he wants to find "hope"
Ezra ends up seeing "Twin Suns" and Maul says he sees "him" and runs off saying "He lives!"
"He lives!" could refer to multiple characters that Maul has come across. But there's the suggestion that Ezra and Maul saw something linked.
Ezra saw "Twin Suns." The only planet in Star Wars we know has "Twin Suns" is Tatooine, funnily enough where the Skywalkers come from. Now who, that Maul knows would be on Tatooine between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope and still be alive and watching over a Skywalker?
Obi Wan.
We might be getting the final duel between Obi-Wan and Maul.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'mm 99% sure that Star Wars Rebels just hinted at a fairly big moment that might happen:

Ezra and Maul join the Sith and Jedi Holocrons to help them find something they want.
Ezra wants the "key to destroying the Sith" and Maul say's he wants to find "hope"
Ezra ends up seeing "Twin Suns" and Maul says he sees "him" and runs off saying "He lives!"
"He lives!" could refer to multiple characters that Maul has come across. But there's the suggestion that Ezra and Maul saw something linked.
Ezra saw "Twin Suns." The only planet in Star Wars we know has "Twin Suns" is Tatooine, funnily enough where the Skywalkers come from. Now who, that Maul knows would be on Tatooine between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope and still be alive and watching over a Skywalker?
Obi Wan.
We might be getting the final duel between Obi-Wan and Maul.

I think I saw THAT story a couple of time in the old EU. At least we'll finally put that to rest. Just like Rogue One will have the Death Star Plan theft that the old EU did a million versions of. I must have played that scenario seven times in the various Star Wars games I've played over the years.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
The new Jojo opening has me incredibly hyped. Why? Not only is it good and fits DiU, but the streetsigns reference something. 'SC1987', 'DU1999' and a third one with 'GW'... Part V being hinted at means we're getting it, though it being Japan's favourite might have already been a reason. And Part V's only good manga translation is only halfway through!
.....did not notice that. Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on it?

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Latias SWF.jpg

I got one of the Sugimori Art Collection pieces in the mail today. #21/50. I got it second hand off of eBay to save some money.

They use Conservation Glass which, while nice, makes them extra expensive. My NES/Famicom collection with probably have to wait as I'm tempted to also buy either the one with May/Jirachi, Mew/Lucario, Shiny Charizard, or Darkrai/DP to match it, assuming they're still available on the PokeCenter site.

I wonder what Sugimori will make to celebrate Sun/Moon's release?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
My guess is that the writers still keep the kid audience in mind, and you'll always have a new set of kids that will be introduced to the Pokemon franchise, possibly from the anime. Perhaps the writers keep on making Ash lose because they want kids to learn that they can't always win everything, and as children grow up and see that Ash keeps on losing, they'll probably have moved on to some other aspect of Pokemon for them to enjoy, but yet again, you have a new set of kids that will be introduced to the anime, and then they'll learn about the meaning of loss. It's basically on ongoing cycle.

For me, in the events leading up to the Kalos League, I've learned to not get my hopes up that much about Ash winning the League. As much as I want Ash to win a League, I've also come to accept Ash losing because the writers want to keep on teaching the lesson about losing to the new batch of younger audience. I've come to watch the anime not to see Ash win the League, but rather to see how Ash and the people he travels with develop throughout the season and what kind of events will unfold as Ash reaches the League. If Ash and the other important characters in the season develop well and the events are entertaining enough to catch my interest, I'll watch the series.

In the case of a series like B/W, I didn't enjoy it because Ash didn't develop very well, returning back to his immature self like he was in the original series, not to mention most of the other characters weren't very enjoyable, most events throughout the season were not written too well (whether it'd be the poorly-done Team Plasma arc or that pointless filler season where Ash and the gang travel from island to island on their way to Kanto), and things felt too formulaic overall. I think the only things I really enjoyed from BW was how Meloetta interacted with Ash and Cynthia's return and that was it. Pretty much lost an interest in the anime at the time.

For X/Y, different story. One of the main reasons I gained a renewed interested in the anime was because of Serena and how the pre-release advertisements mentioned she was a childhood friend to Ash, and man was she worth the hype. Easily the best female companion Ash has ever had IMO. Not only is she the first female companion to have a crush on Ash, but she undergoes really good character development as the series progresses, both as a performer and a friend. Clemont and Bonnie were also enjoyable too, and characters like Korrina and Alain got some interesting spotlight. Battles are more hype worthy to watch in the series thanks to the highly improved animation. Ash himself is also more likable, showing some great development in episodes such as the one after losing to Wulfric and and the way he handles his Kalos League finals loss, and displaying more maturity compared to other seasons.

And while the writers will still keep formulaic writings such as Ash losing the League and Ash leaving behind his friends from the region at the end of the series, they still made some interesting changes as the series progressed. In addition to Serena being the first female companion to having a crush in Ash, she is also the first character in the series to cut her hair halfway through the series to represent a change in her personality (a common cliche in anime, yes, but this hasn't been done in Pokemon until now). Then, there's Ash losing two Gym Battles instead of one (last time that happened was in Kanto), good symbolism (such as the flashing lights in the hospital hallway in Mega Evolution Act IV when Alain overhears Mairin crying to symbolize inner conflict, the bonfire in XY&Z episode 8 that symbolizes Bonnie's growing despair over Squishy's absence to the point that one of the logs in the fire falls down, representing the moment Bonnie's despair peaks and starts to cry, and the snowstorm in one episode to symbolize the trouble Ash and Greninja face with the the evolution of the Vivillions following the storm to symbolize a new beginning for Ash and Greninja), and darker moments in the series such as the events in the Team Flare arc (which also deserves a mention for being the best villainous team arc in the entire anime, blowing the past three out of the water).

TL;DR - If a season in the Pokemon anime gets good development throughout it such as many memorable battles, Ash, friends, and even rivals developing as characters and becoming likable in the process, and perhaps even the writers changing up things not counting the League and the end of the season, chances are I'll get hooked onto that season of the anime. If Sun and Moon will have good battles, likable characters, good writing, and not reset Ash's personality, I'll probably be hooked to it as well, but I'll judge if it'll be worth watching once I see the first 5-10 episodes.
People forget kids still exsist when it comes to the pokemon anime

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
View attachment 118414

I got one of the Sugimori Art Collection pieces in the mail today. #21/50. I got it second hand off of eBay to save some money.

They use Conservation Glass which, while nice, makes them extra expensive. My NES/Famicom collection with probably have to wait as I'm tempted to also buy either the one with May/Jirachi, Mew/Lucario, Shiny Charizard, or Darkrai/DP to match it, assuming they're still available on the PokeCenter site.

How much did that cost on ebay compaied to Poke Centers. 249.99.

tbh Id pay the full 249.99 Because it is his official art

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
HOLY ****! I checked eBay to see how good of a deal I got with those 1996 Killer Instinct cards boosters I bought earlier today. The only true result I saw was someone selling a single unopened booster pack for a whopping $200 + $2.62 shipping.

Do you know how much I paid for mine? I got all 3 boosters for only $2 each (+ 18¢ worth of card fees)

Man, what a steal for me!

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
How much did that cost on ebay compaied to Poke Centers. 249.99.

tbh Id pay the full 249.99 Because it is his official art
I got it for $170. The seller had it at $200 but there was a small two-day sale going on. The back of the frame has a small pocket containing a smaller version of the picture with a description & a certificate of authenticity.

The picture itself is quite large, as I had to crop the photo by half 2-3 times as not to be obnoxious when posting it. I'd pay the full $250 as well, but I couldn't help but save the $80.

I'm just amazed that none of them have sold out yet considering they're limited to 50 each and have been for sale for almost a year now. This was a spontaneous buy for me as I just found out about them the other day. Xerneas, Yvetal, & Shiny Charizard seem to be the most popular.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I got it for $170. The seller had it at $200 but there was a small two-day sale going on. The back of the frame has a small pocket containing a smaller version of the picture with a description & a certificate of authenticity.

The picture itself is quite large, as I had to crop the photo by half 2-3 times as not to be obnoxious when posting it. I'd pay the full $250 as well, but I couldn't help but save the $80.

I'm just amazed that none of them have sold out yet considering they're limited to 50 each and have been for sale for almost a year now. This was a spontaneous buy for me as I just found out about them the other day. Xerneas, Yvetal, & Shiny Charizard seem to be the most popular.
I love the Xern Picture. I would get it if I wasnt in college and had a job

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Everyone's talking about eBay deals and here I am buying team fortress crates.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys; I'll be heading off to a Smash 4 Singles related event (it seems to be just a training session of the sorts) in the next hour or so. Wish me luck!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well guys; I'll be heading off to a Smash 4 Singles related event (it seems to be just a training session of the sorts) in the next hour or so. Wish me luck!
Break a leg. Preferably someone else's.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I love the Xern Picture. I would get it if I wasnt in college and had a job
Have you looked for a job on your college campus? When I was a charter bus driver for my school, I had very little taken out of my paycheck each week for taxes compared to a regular job (granted I would owe some money come April 15th).

Good luck.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Good luck bro.

As for me, It's like 6 hours and the dump file I have is still not complet.
And it's really late, but I don't want to stop here and wait another 6 hours tomorrow...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Have you looked for a job on your college campus? When I was a charter bus driver for my school, I had very little taken out of my paycheck each week for taxes compared to a regular job (granted I would owe some money come April 15th).
Im focusing on getting through school first. I need to put all my fovus on satan-I mean Math

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
HOLY ****! I checked eBay to see how good of a deal I got with those 1996 Killer Instinct cards boosters I bought earlier today. The only true result I saw was someone selling a single unopened booster pack for a whopping $200 + $2.62 shipping.

Do you know how much I paid for mine? I got all 3 boosters for only $2 each (+ 18¢ worth of card fees)

Man, what a steal for me!
Watch them be bootleg

If something is too good to be true, it probably isn't

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
View attachment 118414

That's pretty awesome! Looks great.

I wonder....

Do you have pics of your full collection of gaming merch? You've posted some cool things from it, from time to time, so it be neat to see what it all looks like.

Good luck! Although Kirby or Cloud can both do pretty good.
In other news, here's another comic from finalsmashcomic.

This is probably the most accurate this comic series has ever been,

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some reason I thought brachiopods were mollusks.

They aren't...

But are closely related to mollusks

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So why was this thing in Tekken again? I've always thought Gon's inclusion in the third game was random since it's not a mainstream manga.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Gon did nothing wrong, he wasn't that bad of an addition in Tekken 3. Sure the manga is a bit obscure, but it's a very entertaining gag series about a T-Rex trying to survive past extinction with modern day animals (because **** logic). He's Kirby in the form of a dinosaur as ridiculous as it sounds, but helpful if not a bit hotheaded at times. :p

It's a shame we won't be seeing him anymore due to licensing issues, and that is also a reason for Tekken 3 not returning to the PlayStation Network.

Chrono.

Hey the new Digimon is out.

Though I don't think he would've done the OP, it's still sad we will never have another Digimon anime with Wada Koji. ;_;7

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Good evening fellow spooks! October is upon us, and as a nice "treat"... I'll be posting 31 songs for the season. And as an extra "trick"... I'll post a riddle to the identity of the next song. Whoever guesses correctly first will receive a "point"... Fun for all month long.

So without any delay...

Day One: Spooky Scary Skeletons

Might as well get this out of the way! Silly and meme-able, this tune will no doubt eco in the halls of the Internet all month.

The tune tomorrow,
This haunted abode
Contains some ghosts
Who want to be alone...

But to proceed within...
And get out the door...
Know when it appeared...
In number Four.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom