• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
...This actually lends credence to the fan theory that the Mario from the DK arcade games, Jumpman, is Mario's dad. Ignoring how current Mario has appeared with Pauline in MvDK games, but you can rule that as time travel shenanigans a la Baby Mario.

But seriously, that would be the only way Cranky being the original DK, him being current DK's grandfather, AND Mario and current DK being the same age makes sense.
So... that would suggest Pauline is Mario's mother?
I've already decided who that's going to be. :094:
Excellent choice!

D

Deleted member

The Mario universe has different Donkey Kongs as well as possibly different Marios and Paulines. Next thing you know, the timeline becomes complicated and splits, one part of said split being a parallel universe where Mario is killed by Bowser.

That totally doesn't sound like the convoluted Zelda timeline.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I guess Mario's mustache makes him older than he looks.

I can attest to this myself. I look like i'm in my 30's with my mustache despite being 21 years old.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
New Super Luigi U must be part of that universe then. The dinner in the start of the game was actually Mario's wake.
The dinner was a bit too cheerful to be Mario's wake.
EDIT- Not to mention, I think they were celebrating Peach's birthday
EDIT x2- Nope, false alarm

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well there was this image that popped up in the NeoGAF topic.

Does removing the facial hair change anything?
Well he does look around that age but still strange without it. Mustache is to iconic.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Amy's opponent for Death Battle has been confirmed. And damn do I think it's awesome.

Unfortunately she will probably lose which makes me sad.
:061:
Oh boy.
Time to use all my passive reading of Scott Pilgrim to good use!
(But seriously if anyone hasn't read Scott Pilgrim, go read it it's wonderful. Or at least see the movie, which I hear is pretty good.)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
. . .But no seriously, if anyone wants to see the freakout going on right now (uncensored profanity warning, click at your own risk):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1287044

I haven't even read through more than three pages and it's already devolved into people cursing out Miyamoto over Mario being younger than they thought.

And it was mentioned this was from 2005. So again, the fact that this is open knowledge makes the sheer venom of the reaction that much odder.
Always assumed Mario was at least 35

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So there's gonna be a massive amiibo restock in two weeks at Best Buy.

:4lucina::4samus::4pit::4darkpit::4ness::4sonic::4megaman: and Gold Mario.

If I am remembering correctly, this just leaves :4mii::4robinm::4palutena::4wiifit: and the Smash versions of :4dk::4diddy::4wario::rosalina::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight: as rare ones. Unless I missed another memo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Definitely picking up Lucina and Mega Man for the restock. I may get Pit and Samus as well if I have extra money.

Now if only they'd restock Smash Dedede...but that likely won't happen since the Kirby series exists now. :/

Then after that I just need to pick up Luigi, Ryu, and Shovel Knight, who are all really common.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
People are still justifying the lack of Emerald content in OR/AS with "Well, it only said Omega RUBY and Alpha SAPPHIRE." Good lord.

HG/SS had nearly everything - minor and major - that Crystal had, despite having the titles say Heart GOLD and Soul SILVER.
Why can't remakes be based off the third upgraded version as well and not just the two originals?

----

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm actually curious what Generation VII game(s) will come out after Sun & Moon. Looking at the past definitely won't give us any solid pattern to find:

I - Third Version (+ Fourth Version Japan Only)
II - Third Version
III - Remake Pair and Third Version
IV - Third Version and Remake Pair
V - Sequel Pair
VI - Remake Pair

What do you think?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm actually curious what Generation VII game(s) will come out after Sun & Moon. Looking at the past definitely won't give us any solid pattern to find:

II - Third Version
V - Sequel Pair
VI - Remake Pair

What do you think?
I definitely don't think we'll be getting third versions anymore. The advent of DLC story expansions in other games and things like that make them VERY anti consumer. Yeah, it worked up until Platinum, but Nintendo hadn't done downloadable stuff yet at the time. I think third versions are dead.

Remakes though, those are still happening I think. Fairly certain Gen VII will be Sun, Moon, Temporal Diamond, Spacial Pearl (or whatever the Gen IV remakes get called). If there's anything else, it'd likely be a sequel, not a Crystal/Emerald/Platinum styled third version.

Last edited:

Chrono.

People are still justifying the lack of Emerald content in OR/AS with "Well, it only said Omega RUBY and Alpha SAPPHIRE." Good lord.

HG/SS had nearly everything - minor and major - that Crystal had, despite having the titles say Heart GOLD and Soul SILVER.
Why can't remakes be based off the third upgraded version as well and not just the two originals?

----
Not like ORAS lacked that much content in the first place.

I wasn't a fan of how they implemented Delta Episode or the dimensional rift legendaries, but it was still more content than Emerald had. As well a couple of other stuff I'm forgetting.

ORAS focused on new stuff, HGSS focused on improving what was already there.

II - Third Version
V - Sequel Pair
VI - Remake Pair

What do you think?
Maybe they'll go full circle and just give us a third version this time.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

II - Third Version
V - Sequel Pair
VI - Remake Pair

What do you think?
I'm starting to think we might not be getting a third version or a sequel pair with this generation. Junichi Masuda mentioned that he wants to surprise fans, hence why we got sequels to Black & White instead of a Gray version and why Z (as a third version or a sequel) was completely skipped in favor of the next generation. At this point, I think we'll either get remakes for Diamond and Pearl or they'll jump straight into generation 8.

In part 3 of his Pokemon reboot theory, Lockster / Gnoggin speculated that the remakes this time could be a remake of Platinum rather than Diamond and Pearl because it matches up with Masuda's quote about surprising the fans, not to mention remaking a third version to a previous generation could fill in the third version/sequel gap for this generation. Again, it's a theory at the moment, but I can definitely see Game Freak taking an approach like that to break fan expectation once again.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I'm the only one not weirded out by Mario's age?

It's technically not the first time we've heard it either, the Japanese version of SSBM had a trophy that said he was 26 and I've always interpreted his age to be within that range. He acts and sounds like a young, Italian bachelor.

-------------------

Also I got Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice today. I definitely recommend it.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I can't really think of anything negative to say about it. That's not to say it's the best game ever, but I just mean that, everything it sets out to do, it does it satisfactorily, or really well. I have played a little into the second world at this point and haven't found myself thinking "this doesn't feel right" or getting frustrated at all.

I don't really like using arbitrary numbers myself, but this game feels like it should sit in the 7.5 to 8 out of 10 range, to me. It's not particularly ground-breaking or amazing, but it's a really solid and fun platform-adventure game and it literally fixed every single problem Shattered Crystal had, right down to the little things like how Sonic's Air Dash worked.

The only real thing I was disappointed with was the lack of online play for the Bot Racing mode, but I feel like that's more of an issue with how developers view the 3DS/Wii U consumer base more than anything, and this is far from the first 3DS game that lacked online play despite being perfectly fit for it. It's not a big deal though since it was never promised and it's not something Sonic games normally have anyway.

Also the writing is pretty funny and has the same charm as the TV show, both in the cutscenes, and the unlockable artwork descriptions. Got a few laughs out of me.

The map screen is also dotted with references to main series Sonic games. In the first world, there are a bunch of huts with "Sonic character styled" eyes sticking out of them that remind me of the Sonic 3 cover art, where Knuckles is hiding in a bush with his eyes sticking out.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I'm the only one not weirded out by Mario's age?

It's technically not the first time we've heard it either, the Japanese version of SSBM had a trophy that said he was 26 and I've always interpreted his age to be within that range. He acts and sounds like a young, Italian bachelor.
Nah I remember a Japanese friend of mine once mentioned to me that Mario was actually younger than he looked and that his age was somewhere around the 25's, It was a long time ago though but she probably was referring to that old interview that apparently recently got translated.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

II - Third Version
V - Sequel Pair
VI - Remake Pair

What do you think?
I suppose any of the above are viable, but if the NX hybrid rumors turn out to be true then the most interesting result would be if they simply dropped any precedent at all and just jumped right to Gen VIII.

Of course, the fact that Nintendo still intends to support the 3DS next year combined with Pokemon Company pushing Gen 5 well past when the 3DS released means it's as likely as not a second set of games. . .the Gen 4 connections are starting to strengthen up a bit with Sun and Moon from the looks of it so that's likely in the works at least, but whether they jump on it now or sit on it a moment I don't know.

Or take a third option and push the Diamond and Pearl remakes to the new system without jumping generations, if that's at all capable of working.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ok, now I'm ready for tomorrow.

I have a little "treat"... made more fun if you can see through my "tricks".

^_^

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So if Mario is that old and Wario is the same age, does that make Wario an ephebophile when people ship him with a college aged Mona?

My head hurts.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So if Mario is that old and Wario is the same age, does that make Wario an ephebophile when people ship him with a college aged Mona?

My head hurts.
..."College aged" is a pretty broad range.

In my own college class, the age of students ranges from 20's (possibly younger) to 40's.

Chrono.

Diamond and Pearl remakes are gonna feel weird given how Nintendo handhelds are still on the DS format. It also feels like Gen 4 hasn't been out for that long to justify a remake this soon. But that's just my onion. I'm also somewhat against remakes right now, given the absurd amount of remakes and remasters we've been getting recently.

My head hurts.

Last edited:

Soul.

I don't understand why they would remake D/P for a platform that even though is getting support next year won't be getting a huge sales increase hardware-wise. Aside from a few new releases early on 2017, 3DS will probably have late localizations of games already in Japan (so things like YW3).

3DS is also backwards compatible with DS, so... maybe remake D/P on NX if it's actually the hybrid high-powered handheld Eurogamer said it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom