• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

I swear I'll riot if there isn't any appearance of any female counterpart of any player character from any generation though.
I feel May, Dawn and Serena might appear.

Unlike Touko, Mei, Leaf and Lyra, they were relevant to their games kinda.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Didn't Mei and Lyra also appear outside of their player roles if the male protag was chosen?
Then again like you said, I don't believe their roles where that major unless they want to make a short for the battle subway or something....

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I swear I'll riot if there isn't any appearance of any female counterpart of any player character from any generation though.
The main anime has all the main girls but none of the main guys

This is more or less the first time we've seen them

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Lyra actually has a pretty good presence in HGSS, she's not as majorly involved as Dawn was, but she does constantly show up and help you out here and there.

Hilda, Rosa, and Leaf do get screwed over by comparison though, especially Leaf since she might as well not exist in the games while at least Hilda and Rosa pop up once or twice.

Yeah, I agree. I always felt sorry for the Electrodes when I had to make them faint. But I always caught one of them.
I used them as experience so my Pokémon could get stronger.

...Don't give me that look, their sacrifices were for the greater good as it made defeating Team Rocket easier and I had a Voltorb.

Chrono.

Lyra actually has a pretty good presence in HGSS, she's not as majorly involved as Dawn was, but she does constantly show up and help you out here and there.

Hilda, Rosa, and Leaf do get screwed over by comparison though, especially Leaf since she might as well not exist in the games while at least Hilda and Rosa pop up once or twice.

I used them as experience so my Pokémon could get stronger.

...Don't give me that look, their sacrifices were for the greater good as it made defeating Team Rocket easier and I had a Voltorb.
LOL I completely forgot Lyra was your neighbor in HGSS and did some things.

Whoops.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
New Pokemon poll! This time, we're going to take a short break from the games and look at the anime perspective.

As some of you may or may not know, Clemont's final episode in the XY series is coming up this Sunday, so in light of that occasion, I thought today's topic will be...

Who is your favorite male traveling partner in the entire Pokemon anime? Answer in the Strawpoll below.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11333872

Only the main male characters in the series will be focused on.

Personally, I like Brock the most of the four for obvious reasons that I'm sure many will discuss in the upcoming comments (I already know that he's going to dominate this poll), but I decided to once again give my vote to an underdog choice: Clemont.

My reasons:
  • His Japanese voice actor is Yuki Kaiji, a.k.a. the voice of Attack on Titan's Eren Jaeger, Fire Emblem Fates' Takumi, One Punch Man's Sonic, etc.
  • Owns a Luxray, one of the coolest Electric-types around
  • Adorable personality mixed with nerd qualities; together, they make him very likable
  • Knows when to be serious when the time comes (one of his best moments is his battle against Xerosic later in the series)
  • Admirable love for inventions; even if he fails with one, that won't deter his interest.
  • So smart that he managed to get into an inventor's school when he was only a small child and managed to make a robot that would take his place in Gym Battles when he's gone; this robot, Clembot, is also a pretty likable character
  • Has good character development
  • Highly memorable bond with Ash
went Clemont, because he looks like me a lot, is smart like me. Sorry brock, I love you to death and stopped watching the anime because you wouldn't be in it, but when I am (spiritually) a character in the show, I gotta vote for him.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Watched Generations, enjoyed it, only wished Ethan showed up a little more.

. . .In other news, NeoGAF is going into a denial-fueled freakout over Mario being 25 as though that hasn't been freely available knowledge for a while now.

Yeah, it's a little surprising at first, but it's been canon long enough that going into raging fits of "YOU LIAR, NO HE'S NOT" is a -bit- much. I mean. . .it's a 'stache. You can grow a 'stache at 25.

. . .Oh yeah BTW Mario is 25 in case you didn't know that already. It's not that big of a deal in the long run. I mean, come to think of it that explains how good of a jumper he is if he's near his prime.

*EDIT* How was I even Greninja'd on that that wasn't the topic of conversation a moment ago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I loved the new Generations episode.
Glad I'm not the only one who didn't think the Rocket grunts looked drunk.
Was cool that we got to see Gold but I wish he did more
Also Lance's Dragonite was an absolute savage. To think I used to hate this thing
-----
First Y update:
Team:
Frojer the Froakie
Fire Birb the Fletchinder
Bidoof
Avocado the Bulbasaur
I picked the female character this time.
Fire Birb pecked her way through the first Gym and got overleveled.
I picked Bulbasaur as my Kanto starter but I'm not gonna use it on my final team because I want to use a different Mega Pokemon
Current location: Lumiose City

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm sorry, he does not look 25.
I'll have to agree to disagree on that. Unless he goes partying with his frat boys on the weekends.
Well there was this image that popped up in the NeoGAF topic.

Does removing the facial hair change anything?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...This actually lends credence to the fan theory that the Mario from the DK arcade games, Jumpman, is Mario's dad. Ignoring how current Mario has appeared with Pauline in MvDK games, but you can rule that as time travel shenanigans a la Baby Mario.

But seriously, that would be the only way Cranky being the original DK, him being current DK's grandfather, AND Mario and current DK being the same age makes sense.

D

Deleted member

Totally random question and all but what are your Top 5 favorite Nintendo series?

Here's mine...

1. Legend of Zelda
2. Advance Wars/Wars
3. Golden Sun
4. Pokemon
5. F-Zero

Honorable mentions go to DK, Fire Emblem, and Star Fox.
I recently had an idea of a topic about a tier-listing of our favorite Nintendo franchises (excluding the retro one-offs and those requiring a peripheral to be used like Wii Fit).

Rather than giving a Top 5, I'll proceed as such to answer to this question:

God tier
:4samus:- Metroid
- Smash Bros.
:4shulk:- Xenoblade

Top tier
:4dk:- Donkey Kong
:4mewtwo:- Pokémon

As for the rest of the other series represented with playable characters in Smash:
High tier
:4mario:- Super Mario (including Mario Kart and all the other spin-off series)
:4olimar:- Pikmin

Upper-mid tier
:4yoshi:- Yoshi
:4villager:- Animal Crossing

Mid tier
:4kirby:- Kirby
:4fox:- Star Fox

Only-played-to-one-game-of-their-series tier
:4pit:- Kid Icarus
:4robinm:- Fire Emblem
:4wario2:- Wario Land

Barely-played-to-one-game-of-their-series tier
:4ness:- Mother
:4falcon:- F-Zero

Not-played-to-any-of-their-games-yet tier
:4littlemac:- Punch-Out
:4wario:- Wario Ware

From-love-to-hate tier
:4link:- Zelda
I don't know however if such a topic would be well received.

Last edited by a moderator:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
...This actually lends credence to the fan theory that the Mario from the DK arcade games, Jumpman, is Mario's dad. Ignoring how current Mario has appeared with Pauline in MvDK games, but you can rule that as time travel shenanigans a la Baby Mario.

But seriously, that would be the only way Cranky being the original DK, him being current DK's grandfather, AND Mario and current DK being the same age makes sense.
Oooor Brunette Pauline is the secret hidden Mario SISTER they didn't want YOU to know about!

You read it here first folks

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oooor Brunette Pauline is the secret hidden Mario SISTER they didn't want YOU to know about!

You read it here first folks
That'd mean Luigi was the only sibling not named after a parent. :p

That's such a Luigi type of thing.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, he does not look 25.
I'll have to agree to disagree on that. Unless he goes partying with his frat boys on the weekends.
Considering how baby faced he is especially without his mustache which is pretty much there to hammer in that he's italian more than anything anyway? I could buy that he's 25. :p I always thought he was around that age anyway for some reason.

Though certain iterations of him make him seem a lot older than others, I'm going off his most recent and common appearance, the standard one.

Especially when you take away the mustache, I'm telling you, it's just his (most likely fake :p) mustache.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
. . .But no seriously, if anyone wants to see the freakout going on right now (uncensored profanity warning, click at your own risk):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1287044

I haven't even read through more than three pages and it's already devolved into people cursing out Miyamoto over Mario being younger than they thought.

And it was mentioned this was from 2005. So again, the fact that this is open knowledge makes the sheer venom of the reaction that much odder.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Whoopsie, we gotta name this one after the awkward uncle!"
And that uncle? So upset that his name was taken, he named his child something he viewed as close enough.

And thus Waluigi was born.

D

Deleted member

. . .But no seriously, if anyone wants to see the freakout going on right now (uncensored profanity warning, click at your own risk):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1287044

I haven't even read through more than three pages and it's already devolved into people cursing out Miyamoto over Mario being younger than they thought.

And it was mentioned this was from 2005. So again, the fact that this is open knowledge makes the sheer venom of the reaction that much odder.
I have no idea why, but sometimes when I'm outside of video game communities in general, I wonder why people think gamers are so immature.

But then once I come back into them, I see things like this, and I think "oh right, duh". :p

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
I loved the new Generations episode.
Glad I'm not the only one who didn't think the Rocket grunts looked drunk.
Was cool that we got to see Gold but I wish he did more
Also Lance's Dragonite was an absolute savage. To think I used to hate this thing
-----
First Y update:
Team:
Frojer the Froakie
Fire Birb the Fletchinder
Bidoof
Avocado the Bulbasaur
I picked the female character this time.
Fire Birb pecked her way through the first Gym and got overleveled.
I picked Bulbasaur as my Kanto starter but I'm not gonna use it on my final team because I want to use a different Mega Pokemon
Current location: Lumiose City
How about houndoom or absol?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So Smash Wii U is getting a maintenance to take place starting this Sunday.

inb4 "ZOMG! DLC GUISE!!!" form noobs.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just looked back at my last post and noticed there was an error.

As some of you may or may not know, Clemont's final episode in the XY series is coming up this Sunday, so in light of that occasion, I thought today's topic will be...
Clement's final episode is actually this coming Thursday. Sorry for the mistake.

------

Thoughts on the newest Pokemon Generations episode:

Definitely a lot better than the last one. It was really great to see Lance showing how powerful of a trainer he was. He looked less like a villain here compared to the last episode, but it makes sense considering his role in that point in G/S/HG/SS.

His Dragonite had some really great moments. I loved the scene where it used Fire Punch to expose the hidden entrance, and It was pretty intense. I also liked the scene when it gave Petrel that threatening glare that scared the snot out of him, and the scene when it destroyed the radio wave machine. I got pretty hyped watching it punch the machine and throwing a giant chunk of it away.

Didn't think the Rocket Base had a slide as an entrance though, but Lance landed out of it like a boss.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought the grunts walking towards Lance looked drunk. I mean, I couldn't take them seriously because of how odd they were moving, but I guess it could've been a neat directing move because it shows the grunts aren't meant to be taken seriously within an evil team.

I also liked Ethan's appearances in this episode. He may've not taken center-stage, but you could tell he meant serious business based on the way he was treated in the cameos.

It was also really nice to finally see an animated appearance from one of the Rocket Executives. I thought Petrel was going to appear in his Giovanni disguise at first, so it was a bit surprising to see him appear as his normal self right away. Too bad his Weezing went out really quickly. I also didn't expect to see him get electrocuted by all those Electrodes in the end. The fact all eight of them attacked him like that made me think he would be killed right then and there, but then I remembered he would appear again during the Goldenrod Radio Tower takeover.

I wish Ariana made an appearance though considering her role in all of this. They could've extended the episode just a little bit to include her, but I guess the reason why she was excluded was because they were trying to hype up Lance's strength, and with Ariana having more power than Petrel, they probably wanted to go with the weaker Executive between the two.

------

Well there was this image that popped up in the NeoGAF topic.

Does removing the facial hair change anything?
Whenever I see Mario and Luigi without their mustaches, I am reminded of this quote from Kamek in Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.

When I was kid reading this for the first time and then losing to him several times, I got pretty scared thinking about Kamek removing Mario and Luigi's mustaches.

Then I look at a picture of Mario without a mustache, and I guess my fears from back then are justified; nowadays, however, I'm no longer afraid of seeing Mario and Luigi without a mustache. Instead, I feel an urge to cringe for a second because I'm very used to seeing the mustaches.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Honestly I stopped taking the Mario "lore" seriously years ago as Nintendo clearly has stopped years ago too.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Giving Mario an age just feels wierd.

Status