• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Random question regarding Pokemon Protags...
Who do you prefer from each game?

Mostly based on design since most of them have the personality of a stone...
Red>Leaf
Ethan=Kris>>>>Lyra
Brendan=May
Dawn>Lucas
Hilda>Hilbert
Nate>Rosa
Serena>Calem
Selene>Chelios (I think that's their names, if not that's what I'm calling them for now since it references Sun and Moon rather well)

Osiris
I usually pick the guy (calem actually looks a lot like me), but for sun and moon I'm thinking of picking the girl (looks better designed, like more time was put in).
Now I'm also thinking of replaying some of the games as the girl, because I love May and Serena as characters. Also because whenever I beat her Serena looks like she's going to cry, and I'm over here pumping my fist, which honestly makes me feel like a jerk to be doing that while she's super-sad from defeat.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Honestly if I had to compare Mighty No 9 to Mega Man, I'd say it would objectively be nothing more than a mediocre MM game. Not garbage, but honestly just play a good Mega Man game.

What killed MN9 was the hype behind it -- both from the fans and Inafune himself. That's what tipped it over.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Did the game at least have an annoying boss that screamed, "Burn! Burn! Burn to the Ground! Burn to the ground!" during the entire fight?

Only unfortunate Mega Man X7 players like myself would know who I'm referring to.
That, or people who watch The Quarter Guy (went on a giant rant about Hyenard)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Why. Why. Why did you edit politics in? I'm not trying to shun you, as I know you like debates, but I just had a laughing fit seeing you edit that video in for NO reason
Hmm. I don't quite trust myself to know myself, but I'd say that I find the topic interesting. To me, it's just another topic to talk about (not just debate. I mean, who's gonna have a debate about Russia vs USA in here? If I could interest someone in something I find so, I'd like that. Moreover, I think international politics / geopolitics are far less touchy than domestic politics, so I didn't think on sensitivity I admit), and I didn't want to take up a whole post with just a video.

But, enough of me justifying myself. Would anything make the topic more interesting to you all? I'm thinking it'd be less annoying to simply write a summary line instead of linking to a 19 minute video of a Russian diplomat talking to the international press. I also find I have a hard time speaking on the same subjects as y'all because I simply haven't played as many of the same games--I don't really keep up on the game news. Ever since I realized what a huge conflict of interest games journalism could present, I just stick to a few key YouTubers I know like SuperBunnyhop and, um, Angry Joe, and TB? Still, they too get sponsored....

I've also been pleased to come here and get news from this thread! It's sort of like an aggregation site, and so I thank you all for your contributions. It'd be cool of someone made a "Drudge Report" of video game news only.

Here's the first 6 pages of a mystery-school-romance (probably) thing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Dcd9PireByQURDaEdob1R4T2M/view?usp=sharing
If you're interested enough to read, I hope you find it entertaining! I'd love any criticism. e.g.: What aspects of this world or the characters would you like to see fleshed out? Are the characters believable and consistent? Are they too similar? How's the pacing? Too many characters introduced all at once?

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just returned home. I also changed my avatar from the kind foxy friend, Kaden, to the FE: Fates bro, Hinata. He's even become my 11th favorite character as of late after reading many of his supports, which are all pretty good.

------

So I have two unpopular Pokemon opinions around here:
  1. This one I'm sure many know about already, but I prefer Gallade to Gardevoir, not the other way around. I'm aware Gallade is already a very popular Pokemon. It's just that I see Gardevoir being favored more between the two these days.
  2. I actually like Ash-Greninja. Yes, you didn't read it wrong. I think it has a neat design. I found it odd at first, but it grew on me after a while. I think the black appendages on the sides of its head, the red lightning pattern on the black appendage, the red appendages on the center of its head that can glow with certain attacks, and the giant Water Shuriken on its back are my favorite parts of its design.
That said, I want to know if anyone else likes Gallade more than Gardevoir, and if anyone else actually likes Ash-Greninja. I'm pretty curious.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmm. I don't quite trust myself to know myself, but I'd say that I find the topic interesting. To me, it's just another topic to talk about (not just debate. I mean, who's gonna have a debate about Russia vs USA in here? If I could interest someone in something I find so, I'd like that. Moreover, I think international politics / geopolitics are far less touchy than domestic politics, so I didn't think on sensitivity I admit), and I didn't want to take up a whole post with just a video.

But, enough of me justifying myself. Would anything make the topic more interesting to you all? I'm thinking it'd be less annoying to simply write a summary line instead of linking to a 19 minute video of a Russian diplomat talking to the international press. I also find I have a hard time speaking on the same subjects as y'all because I simply haven't played as many of the same games--I don't really keep up on the game news. Ever since I realized what a huge conflict of interest games journalism could present, I just stick to a few key YouTubers I know like SuperBunnyhop and, um, Angry Joe, and TB? Still, they too get sponsored....

I've also been pleased to come here and get news from this thread! It's sort of like an aggregation site, and so I thank you all for your contributions. It'd be cool of someone made a "Drudge Report" of video game news only.

Here's the first 6 pages of a mystery-school-romance (probably) thing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Dcd9PireByQURDaEdob1R4T2M/view?usp=sharing
If you're interested enough to read, I hope you find it entertaining! I'd love any criticism. e.g.: What aspects of this world or the characters would you like to see fleshed out? Are the characters believable and consistent? Are they too similar? How's the pacing? Too many characters introduced all at once?
Before I read that, I'm assuming you wrote it, right? Your post seems to imply it but not confirm it so I'd like to be sure about it

Chrono.

Just returned home. I also changed my avatar from the kind foxy friend, Kaden, to the FE: Fates bro, Hinata. He's even become my 11th favorite character as of late after reading many of his supports, which are all pretty good.

------

1. This one I'm many know about already, but I prefer Gallade to Gardevoir, not the other way around. I'm aware Gallade is already a very popular Pokemon. It's just that I see Gardevoir being favored more between the two these days.
  2. I actually like Ash-Greninja. Yes, you didn't read it wrong. I think it has a neat design. I found it odd at first, but it grew on me after a while. I think the black appendages on the sides of its head, the red lightning pattern on the black appendage, the red appendages on the center of its head that can glow with certain attacks, and the giant Water Shuriken on its back are my favorite parts of its design.
That said, I want to know if anyone else likes Gallade more than Gardevoir, and if anyone else actually likes Ash-Greninja. I'm pretty curious.
I share both of these opinions.

Though I thought Ash-Greninja was very popular.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Before I read that, I'm assuming you wrote it, right? Your post seems to imply it but not confirm it so I'd like to be sure about it
Mhm.

------

1. This one I'm many know about already, but I prefer Gallade to Gardevoir, not the other way around. I'm aware Gallade is already a very popular Pokemon. It's just that I see Gardevoir being favored more between the two these days.
1. I've never seen Gallade being the favored. For... various reasons. Most importantly, Gardevoir is OU with mega evolve at least where Gallade is only BL

2. I think the design is a bit too top heavy. Lots of changes going on for the head, not much anywhere else. I really like the water shuriken, though. Who doesn't love them a giant shuriken?

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I share both of these opinions.

Though I thought Ash-Greninja was very popular.
I remember most fans disliking Ash-Greninja's design when it was first revealed, though I didn't see much opinions change favorably in the months after. If it did become popular, I have a feeling it achieved that when it had those big moments later in XY&Z.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Even though rumors are saying Ash-Greninja could appear in Sun & Moon, I'm not holding my breath. Doesn't feel right to have something related to a character that is non-canon to the games.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Red>Leaf
Ethan=Kris>>>>Lyra
Brendan=May
Dawn>Lucas
Hilda>Hilbert
Nate>Rosa
Serena>Calem
Selene>Chelios (I think that's their names, if not that's what I'm calling them for now since it references Sun and Moon rather well)

Osiris
Leaf=Red
Ethan>Kris>Lyra
May>Brendan
Dawn>Lucas
Hilbert=Hilda
Rosa>Nate
Selena>Calem
Selene>Helios

Overall, I like Hilbert and Hilda's designs the best.

------

1. This one I'm sure many know about already, but I prefer Gallade to Gardevoir, not the other way around. I'm aware Gallade is already a very popular Pokemon. It's just that I see Gardevoir being favored more between the two these days.
Ever since I saw Gallade in Platinum, he's always been my preferred choice of the Ralts line. I still do like Gardevoir's design as well since I have fond memories of it from Emerald, but I just prefer its knight-like counterpart more. The same also extends to their Mega forms, though the gap is larger since I didn't like some of the changes behind M-Gardevoir's design while I felt M-Gallade hit the jackpot as I loved how they expanded the concept around its design.

As for Ash-Greninja, I'm mostly neutral on it. There are not too many things about the design I dislike, but there's also little that excites me about it, it's pretty much just there as a form for me.

D

Deleted member

Mhm.

1. I've never seen Gallade being the favored. For... various reasons. Most importantly, Gardevoir is OU with mega evolve at least where Gallade is only BL

2. I think the design is a bit too top heavy. Lots of changes going on for the head, not much anywhere else. I really like the water shuriken, though. Who doesn't love them a giant shuriken?
Well, I read it anyways, some thoughts and other things
-You wrote "principle" instead of "principal" in the first page
-The characters introduced are at a good amount, except Hayl who I have no idea who he's supposed to be and why he's named
-I can get most of the characters' main characteristics from the first two pages, which is a good thing: Flora is the shy girl, Stern is the reserved type, Roppen is outgoing, Thatch is cheerful and also outgoing and Bunn is her friend who seems to get dragged on to whatever she does
-With that said, I know nothing about Kerre besides the fact she's a vegan. And I'm assuming she's the protagonist considering she's the first character introduced
-Don't see a reason why that Home Economics description being said, unless it has some meaning later
-With only 6 pages, it's kinda hard to get a feeling of the pacing, but as long as the plot starts going somewehere by the end of the first chapter, it should be a good start

I'd like to keep notified for when you update, reason being for me wanting to see your writing skills and if this grabs my interest

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

Red>Leaf
Ethan=Kris>>>>Lyra
Brendan=May
Dawn>Lucas
Hilda> Hilbert
Nate>Rosa
Serena>Calem

Osiris
Red>Leaf
Ethan>Lyra>Kris
Brendan>May
Dawn>>>>>>Lucas
Hilda=Hilbert
Rosa>Nate
Serena>Calem
Chicken-Grill>Sundude

Last edited:

Chrono.

Red=Leaf
Ethan>Lyra>Kris
Brendan=May
Dawn>Lucas
Hilda=Hilbert
Kyouhei=Mei

I won't count the last two since they're customizable.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Most importantly, Gardevoir is OU with mega evolve at least where Gallade is only BL
Mega Gallade was OU in the early days of OR/AS competitive. He dropped to BL around May 2015, but being BL means that he is already better than all Pokemon UU and under, in addition to remaining viable for OU. One advantage he has in OU is that he makes a great team core with Bisharp and Sylveon/Clefable.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
When I was a kid, I always deleted the stat stage moves like tail whip, bulk up, defensive curl...
Now, though... swords dance, where have you been all my life?
Even though rumors are saying Ash-Greninja could appear in Sun & Moon, I'm not holding my breath. Doesn't feel right to have something related to a character that is non-canon to the games.
Friendship-based variant evolution thingies would be neat. But we already have Pokémon evolving from friendship, like Blissey. You're right, though, it'll probably be a one-off variation thing, and wont make it into the games.
Well, I read it anyways, some thoughts and other things
-You wrote "principle" instead of "principal" in the first page
-The characters introduced are at a good amount, except Hayl who I have no idea who he's supposed to be and why he's named
-I can get most of the characters' main characteristics from the first two pages, which is a good thing: Flora is the shy girl, Stern is the reserved type, Roppen is outgoing, Thatch is cheerful and also outgoing and Bunn is her friend who seems to get dragged on to whatever she does
-With that said, I know nothing about Kerre besides the fact she's a vegan. And I'm assuming she's the protagonist considering she's the first character introduced
-Don't see a reason why that Home Economics description being said, unless it has some meaning later
-With only 6 pages, it's kinda hard to get a feeling of the pacing, but as long as the plot starts going somewehere by the end of the first chapter, it should be a good start

I'd like to keep notified for when you update, reason being for me wanting to see your writing skills and if this grabs my interest
Thanks. I'm gonna strike out Hayl being named for now. I'm not sure of the explanation of home ec, since my intent is more to illustrate what Roppen's intentions might be towards Flora. I can show that later, though, perhaps if Roppen and Sterne have some alone time playing video games or going around the preservation, and he can relay his impression of the class and intentions as it might be relevant.
If all goes well, Kerre should have a lot more character by the end of the first year. Generally, I intend everyone to be shy and anxious on their first day, but that's probably not a good idea to show. Perhaps I should start in a few days instead. I intend her to be kind, with a fire and anger she develops against Sterne (exactly for his reserve on certain things, ignoring their inevitable ideological differences. Things are gonna get dark and heavy at some point).
I've mistaken Flora, I thought she was more the oblivious-but-happy type, but I'm willing to let her be the shy girl. Truth be told, she and Roppen are supposed to be condensations of a few friends I had in high school.
I wish I could say that you could expect updates, but knowing myself...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Question.

Is the new King of Fighters game a good place to start for a series newcomer?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I heard a Christmas-themed commercial on the radio two nights ago.
...In the middle of September.

I thought they started early November, but I guess it's getting earlier and earlier.

When I was a kid, I always deleted the stat stage moves like tail whip, bulk up, defensive curl...
Same with me. 8-9 year-old me didn't yet understand the importance of stat raising and lowering and such. Thought they were boring and preferred attacking and status conditions.

---

Last edited:

Chrono.

Yeah that's kinda my big issue with it.

For one thing, Ash-Greninja was an incredibly vague power up in the series (closest thing to an explanation was that Froakie was "special" from the start) that just screams anime plot armor like all those YGO cards that never make it into the proper game. The other thing is people are saying that it was just a preview of a new mechanic, but I don't buy that.

The only thing that made Ash-Greninja stand out from Megas were two things: It resembled Ash and that they had a connection of sorts (think Full-Synchro from Battle Network). How would that translate into a new mechanic? The protagnists are customizable avatars so the Pokemon resembling them is thrown out the window, and the "bond" between you and your Pokemon is already sort of done with Amie.

On top of that, if "Z-forms" were a thing, why the wait? We've known Ashninja exists for months, the game comes out very soon, they already shown the Z-ring and Z-moves (which has a mega stone slot in btw). What's the holdup?

There's just a lot that doesn't really add up. I do think Ashninja will show up, but probably just as an event.
Question.

Is the new King of Fighters game a good place to start for a series newcomer?
It is. It's one of those "easy to pick up, hard to master" ones. The game is really accessible and there's a tutorial.

I suggest downloading the demo if you're unsure (the tutorial is there too, as well as a training mode and a vs mode, you get 7 characters to start).

Also this video if you really wanna get into it.

D

Deleted member

Friendship-based variant evolution thingies would be neat. But we already have Pokémon evolving from friendship, like Blissey. You're right, though, it'll probably be a one-off variation thing, and wont make it into the games.

Thanks. I'm gonna strike out Hayl being named for now. I'm not sure of the explanation of home ec, since my intent is more to illustrate what Roppen's intentions might be towards Flora. I can show that later, though, perhaps if Roppen and Sterne have some alone time playing video games or going around the preservation, and he can relay his impression of the class and intentions as it might be relevant.
If all goes well, Kerre should have a lot more character by the end of the first year. Generally, I intend everyone to be shy and anxious on their first day, but that's probably not a good idea to show. Perhaps I should start in a few days instead. I intend her to be kind, with a fire and anger she develops against Sterne (exactly for his reserve on certain things, ignoring their inevitable ideological differences. Things are gonna get dark and heavy at some point).
I've mistaken Flora, I thought she was more the oblivious-but-happy type, but I'm willing to let her be the shy girl. Truth be told, she and Roppen are supposed to be condensations of a few friends I had in high school.
If the home ec thingy has some meaning, then you shouldn't cut it out, it might just have been me not realizing it
Same with Flora, I might have just interpreted things in another way
"By the end of the first year". Does that mean the story will take place in the course of some years? That's not something I usually see so I'm interested on that

@Pokemon stat moves
I still remember having most of my Pokemon with 3 damaging STAB moves when I first played Pokemon
Nowadays I do stuff like Calm Minding 6 times and OHKOing Mewtwo with my Lv60 Slowbro or Swords Dancing two times and Bullet Punching through Diantha's entire team
I like to play safe

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699

------

I've always liked Gallade more, always though it was coller for having blades on it's arms. I only came to like Gardevoir as of a year or two ago.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Another update since my team's coming along rather well at this point...
Mitsu
Demeter
Osiris
Crypto
Nazca
Watchog-No Worries

I think I'm going to go with Mandibuzz for my flying type at this point...Wanted to use Beheeyem since the beginning and having two psychic types and three pokemon weak to dark is not so ideal when it comes to balancing the team...Mandibuzz is pretty bulky like Sigilyph, but has that Psychic immunity and resists dark type and ghost type attacks...two of which are typings used by the Elite Four...So far at this point Mandibuzz is pretty much my 'least' favourite Dark type (not that I really dislike it, mind you) so let's see if it can give me a better impression if I actually use it in game for once...
So at this point I just need Mandibuzz and one other Pokemon (who I do have an idea on who I want to use) in order to complete my team...

Also I just remembered another pokemon I could use for Fly as well was Golurk but since I already had Cofagrigus on my team I didn't really need him anyway...

I have one question about Skyla's gym though...who thought it was a good idea to have trainers fire themselves out of cannons as the gym's gimmick?...For pete's sake your character frikkin faceplants on the back wall of the gym as if it were intentional...lol

Afterwards, after battling Cheren you see Alder atop a cliff, the only thought that appropriately went through my mind...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Another update since my team's coming along rather well at this point...
Mitsu
Demeter
Osiris
Crypto
Nazca
Watchog-No Worries

I think I'm going to go with Mandibuzz for my flying type at this point...Wanted to use Beheeyem since the beginning and having two psychic types and three pokemon weak to dark is not so ideal when it comes to balancing the team...Mandibuzz is pretty bulky like Sigilyph, but has that Psychic immunity and resists dark type and ghost type attacks...two of which are typings used by the Elite Four...So far at this point Mandibuzz is pretty much my 'least' favourite Dark type (not that I really dislike it, mind you) so let's see if it can give me a better impression if I actually use it in game for once...
So at this point I just need Mandibuzz and one other Pokemon (who I do have an idea on who I want to use) in order to complete my team...

Also I just remembered another pokemon I could use for Fly as well was Golurk but since I already had Cofagrigus on my team I didn't really need him anyway...

I have one question about Skyla's gym though...who thought it was a good idea to have trainers fire themselves out of cannons as the gym's gimmick?...For pete's sake your character frikkin faceplants on the back wall of the gym as if it were intentional...lol

Afterwards, after battling Cheren you see Alder atop a cliff, the only thought that appropriately went through my mind...
You may wanna try Meinshao.
It's a hell of a physical sweeper with bounce for Marshal, U-Turn for Caitlynn, hi jump kick for Grimsley.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Re:Zero is really amazing so far. It kinda remind me of Undertale : both feature a normal human transported into a fantastical place where the gain the power to go back to "save point" when they die and try to befriend the colorful people he met along his many reset. Really good show so far. And Lord Roswaal is fabulous, especially since he's voiced by Takehito Koyasu, aka the same game who voice/d Bobobo, Aokiji, DIO-sama and many other. We don't see enough Old Man Rom thought.

I knew the dog was the one giving him the curse!

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I recently used a Dragon Dance Haxorus and a Quiver Dance Liligant. Was pretty fun.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386

I like the story you linked to so far. Keep it up.

I have some story ideas of my own, though. I'd like to see to one of my ideas turn into a game, someday.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Indie games? I have watched a playthrough of Freedom Planet and Undertale(and a few random Minecraft videos).

I only play(and own) the current 2 Dragon Fantasy games. Very fun, and I do like how both games feel unique enough on their own merits.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Man.
It feels weird finally giving advice for Pokemon teams and stuff after writing up guides and stuff for fun over the past 20 years.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I gotta ask, was there anyone that used status-changing moves as a kid?
The closest I ever got was accuracy lowering. Apart from that I deemed them as useless.

No wonder Cynthia kicked my ass (though that Garchomp was certainly something).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The closest I ever got was accuracy lowering. Apart from that I deemed them as useless.

No wonder Cynthia kicked my *** (though that Garchomp was certainly something).
I completely ignored stat affecting moves as a kid, unless of course it was a secondary effect, like how Icy Wind deals damage and lowers speed.
Moves that inflict status conditions I used. Though sometimes I found myself just replacing them with HMs when I needed to. Moves that strengthen attacks would also get replaced by HMs or sometimes just moves of a different type to help counter type disadvantages.
Though, I still find I can complete the games using just damage dealing moves.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

No wonder Cynthia kicked my *** (though that Garchomp was certainly something).
I used to spam Leer in Gold and Silver because EYE LASER BEAMS

So what's your favorite Indie games you've ever played?

Mines are Skullgirls, Freedom Planet and Lone Survivor
Shovel Knight.

Red>Leaf
Ethan=Kris>>>>Lyra
Brendan=May
Dawn>Lucas
Hilda>Hilbert
Nate>Rosa
Serena>Calem

Osiris
I always just pick the male protagonist.

------

I prefer Gallade over Gardevoir.

I don't like Ash-Greninja, though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
and I didn't want to take up a whole post with just a video
Then just add fluff text like 'btw, here's a video about Russia and USA relationships' or something. It's just very jarring to suddenly have a video that has NO involvement with the rest of the post, like you signed a contract with Satan that you need to post something political all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom