• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Wii U version and 3DS version are bad to mediocre (there are a few little things I think it does better than the Wii version but on the whole it's not very good).

Wii version is a fantastic game IMO and it was my personal favourite game of 2015. Simply put, it manages to innovate the use of what is now dead hardware (the Wii Remote, even if it's still sometimes used in some Wii U games as an extra controller option), better than most games released during the Wii's prime. It's fast and exhilarating to fly around pretty much everywhere you want, and the power ups are also really fun. I also like the characters and the music quite a bit.

Some people don't even like the Wii version due to the fact they feel the controls are bad, but this game is basically another Star Fox: Zero situation in terms of how the controls work perfectly fine for the most part, they are just way different to any platformer-adventure game you would have played before, and take some getting used to. It's really satisfying to play once you get the controls down pat, though.

The only thing though, is that the Wii version is only (officially) obtainable as a bonus for first print copies of the Wii U version, assuming they've even made second print copies yet or even plan to. So essentially, the Wii version is a pre-order bonus, not a standalone product. The only way to be absolutely certain you are getting the Wii version, is to buy the Limited Edition. All Limited Editions were part of the first print run, and come with the Wii version and some extra goodies.

If you can't find the Limited Edition for a decent price or are not comfortable ordering the game online (which is mostly the only place you'd be able to get it at this point...then again, maybe it was better stocked in the US than it was in Europe), then if you have a modded Wii or use Dolphin emulator, you could always play it on those since people have uploaded the ISO online (which is justified in this case as the game is in very limited supply and may very well be impossible to get now without going to eBay). The Dolphin Dev team have also commented on how the game runs and looks particularly nice in Dolphin, so it's worth considering if you can run Dolphin on your PC.
What is it that the Wii U and 3ds versions do differently? That just seems really odd to me.

I'll probably go and try it on Dolphin and then track down the official version if I like it enough. I'd like nothing more than to support YujI Naka.

D

Deleted member

Btw...today was a nice waste due to being summoned to court....show up....wait for several hours....only for the defendant to just plea guilty before our trial even starts...

Why do people even bother fighting if they'll just give up last minute?
Damn, Edgeworth broke the guy before the trial even started

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Okay, I have to ask... Is Rodea any good?

I only ask because I've heard really bad things about it on Wii U, but apparently that's for reasons that isn't the fault of the game I guess? I dunno, I don't really get it.
If you manage to find a copy of the Wii U version that comes with the Wii version at a decent price, I say jump on that immediately.
I didn't follow Rodea much during its development, but I was curious enough to get it. The Wii version is the hidden gem of 2015 in my opinion. Just flying around as Rodea is a ton of fun. The story, while not amazing, has some pretty charming characters, and the soundtrack is great. The game did not deserve the development troubles it had.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What is it that the Wii U and 3ds versions do differently? That just seems really odd to me.

I'll probably go and try it on Dolphin and then track down the official version if I like it enough. I'd like nothing more than to support YujI Naka.
I ended up typing up a long post on this so I will spoiler it to save page space. If you don't want to read that though, here is a video that summarises the main differences.

At their core, the Wii U/3DS versions, and the Wii version, are the same game. The level design is MOSTLY the same (more on that later), and the story and characters are the same too. The main differences come in how you control the game.

Essentially, in the Wii version, you mainly control Rodea by pointing the Wii Remote at the general area or target you want to fly towards. Rodea will then automatically fly towards the location or target you marked, and he can fly infinitely. The only limitations his flight has is that you need to reset your flight path if you fly for too long without hitting anything, and there must be a target withing range for you to be able to fly towards it. You can also perform a Boost Attack while flying (essentially Sonic's Homing Attack turned up to 11), and can also use the Machine Gun Power Up to shoot while flying if you happen to have it. And you can run around with the D-Pad when on the ground (which feels a bit stiff, but it doesn't matter since you rarely need to walk). The Wii version also has a Mario-esque health system. You start off with white hair, and a small tail, which is your normal state. Collect a tail item, and Rodea's hair turns a neon green colour, and his tail grows larger. This gives you an extra hit point, and double damage from attacks, and you fly a bit faster. If you take damage in the default state, Rodea's tail breaks, and he can only fly for really short bursts before needing to reset the flight path, and he also cannot attack. There are of course more abilities and power-ups to use, but this is the basic gist of how you play. While this is definitely a new and unique control scheme and can be daunting at first, it's very intuitive in practice and you'll be zipping around levels at great speeds before long.

The Wii U/3DS versions completely change how the flying works. Basically, instead of running on a targeting range system, it runs on a fuel system. You have a much wider targeting range, but you also can't fly forever before needing to land on solid ground and recharge your flight meter. Rodea also flies much slower by default, as the game incorporates an upgrade system where you collect materials to upgrade Rodea's specs. And by default, everything is in a poor, sluggish state, and some enemies you could one-shot in the Wii version, take multiple hits to defeat in the Wii U/3DS version until you upgrade enough. All of this combined with the fuel system can really make otherwise natural sections of the levels, feel incredibly awkward and frustrating because you can easily run out of fuel before you can hit some ground. Also, the simple process of setting your flight path is also slow and awkward. In the Wii version, you simply point somewhere with the Wii Remote, click B, and he's off. In the Wii U/3DS version, you have to jump, press A in mid-air to make Rodea float on the spot, and then you have to slowly use the control stick to try and aim precisely where you want to go, and then he flies at a snail's pace. Rodea can also fly straight up in these versions by pressing Y, but the levels were not designed with this feature in mind, specifically vertical sections, and you can completely cheese sections of the levels with it.

On the level design, it is the same at it's core between versions, but there are differences. First off, the Wii U/3DS versions increase the scale of levels by about 2 or 3 times. I do not mean they added things to the levels. I mean they literally took the level geometry of the levels into their 3D model editor, scaled them up by 2 or 3 times their original size, and put them back into the game. They didn't add extra details to fill out these huge expanses. They are just bigger, meaning it takes longer for Rodea to get from place to place, and that's before you consider that he flies slower than in the Wii version until he's fully upgraded, and before you consider he has limited fuel. This means levels take more than twice as long to complete. Oh, and they applied this to already huge giant bosses the game has too, and those are INCREDIBLY frustrating when you fly slower than the Wii version, and have a fuel system.

They also removed various things from the level design, such as level specific gimmicks that the Wii version had, which was probably because they knew the Wii U/3DS controls couldn't handle them, but this removes the challenge from some areas. The biggest offender of this is IIRC, Chapter 21. This is near the end-game, and you are essentially flying toward's the big bad's base in an on-rails shooter section. This section is in both versions of the game. After this though, you land on the tower. In the Wii version, the entrance inside is locked, and you have to explore the surrounding area to find some keys to get in. There is of course plenty of enemies, obstacles, secrets, and just general level design to find at this point. However, in the Wii U version, they COMPLETELY removed all of the level design here. There is no locked door, you can just walk straight through the door and finish the level. The only thing they kept were the secret medals to fill out the medal quota, but hunting for them is completely boring because they removed all of the level design, and like I said before, all of the geometry is made extra huge in the Wii U/3DS version. In case you don't know what I mean by "removing the level design", imagine a Sonic level where they removed all of the rings, springs, boost pads, enemies, item monitors, and other stage objects, and only kept the basic geometry. This is literally what they did to this Chapter of Rodea, and it's SO CONFUSING. Like I can't fathom why they did this. They basically removed a level from the game.

Also, there are bonus doors placed in the levels in both versions. In the Wii version, these take you to 2D side scrolling sections with Gravitons (this game's equivalent to Coins or Rings), and a medal at the end. They're very reminiscent of Crash Bandicoot bonus rooms, but you can fly. The Wii U and 3DS versions remove these bonus rooms, and replace them with a guessing game, where 3 launch rings are placed and will fly you on one of the 3 paths, one leading to nothing, one leading to loads of Gravitons, and one leading to materials. It's just a guessing game that only works because of the inferior draw distance in these versions, and doesn't require much player input.

Moving on from the gameplay, the graphics are worse in the Wii U and 3DS versions too.

Left is the Wii U version, the right is the Wii version. As you can see, the Wii version is colourful, lush, and vibrant. The Wii U version (which is a ported 3DS game), while it does have a higher resolution and has this cel shaded, sketch effect (like Valkyria Chronicles), looks totally drab and lifeless in comparison to the Wii version. Also, for some reason, the sky in some levels in the Wii U version looks like it's full of Mako from FFVII, and I can't fathom why. It's just a normal sky in the Wii version, but takes on this weird colour in the Wii U version.

This also applies to the pre-rendered cutscenes, and even the character portraits, for some reason.

The Wii version also runs at up 60FPS. It usually runs at more around the 30-40 range, but it never goes below that to some unplayable state. The Wii U version runs at 30FPS but frequently goes much lower. And the 3DS version runs at more around 20-25FPS at the best of times (though I've heard it actually runs better on a New 3DS).

And finally, the Wii version has a local multiplayer mode. It was completely removed from the other versions.

This isn't even all of the bad changes (and I will admit that there are a few minor things the Wii U version does better), but it's the biggest ones, and should illustrate how they butchered the port.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Anyone here know when the next Nintendo direct could possibly happen?

I'm hoping that I can hear something about Kirby's 25th anniversary and if they're doing anything for it, sooner or later.

And I also got a little bit of other news that really only applies to me as a PvZ fan:
There was an update to Garden Warfare 2, yesterday. You know, that shooter that everyone says is a hot mess, recently. It's a pretty decently big update, but overall felt a bit lacking. See, in Garden Warfare 1, the second update we got was a new Gardens and Graveyards (aka the biggest mode in the game) map, a new variant (basically a different primary weapon) for each character, and a load of actually cool customizations to unlock in sticker packs (think a little bit like crates in TF2, but you use in-game currency you get from playing to open them and they contain multiple things, like Customs, Spawnables, variant pieces which you use to unlock variants and the like). In this update we got a Herbal Assault (Which is Gardens and Graveyards, but the roles are reversed. In G&G Zombies attack and in HA plants attack) map, 2 new variants, and a lot of customizations I personally dislike. Like, the customization selection was actually good in GW1, with something appealing to everyone, now it's all just really flashy ****. And this update brought even more flashy ****. Honestly I'm not looking forward to the future of this game... Seems pretty bleak for me. I still prefer playing GW over Overwatch, honestly. Even if there's hardly any balance, GW2's still really fun.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Oh, I wanted to post this earlier but forgot to.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice will apparently be at E3.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...veals-exclusive-launch-edition-300277754.html

It is also getting a Launch Day Edition, that comes with a DVD containing 3 episodes of the TV Show.

Oh, huh.

Seems pretty interesing.

What does the collector's box have, though? Just the DVD?
I can't remember the last time a non-full out collector's box was something other than a slightly larger box, though...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh, huh.

Seems pretty interesing.

What does the collector's box have, though? Just the DVD?
I can't remember the last time a non-full out collector's box was something other than a slightly larger box, though...
Seems like it's just the DVD.

It's not the best bonus in the world but it's an appropriate one, IMO. I'll probably get it, it seems nice to have.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently now that Sun and Moon are being translated into Mandarin Chinese, Nintendo/ Gamefreak/ Whatever are planning on using the Chinese translations of the names

Fans of the series protested this change

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Anyone here know when the next Nintendo direct could possibly happen?

I'm hoping that I can hear something about Kirby's 25th anniversary and if they're doing anything for it, sooner or later.

And I also got a little bit of other news that really only applies to me as a PvZ fan:
There was an update to Garden Warfare 2, yesterday. You know, that shooter that everyone says is a hot mess, recently. It's a pretty decently big update, but overall felt a bit lacking. See, in Garden Warfare 1, the second update we got was a new Gardens and Graveyards (aka the biggest mode in the game) map, a new variant (basically a different primary weapon) for each character, and a load of actually cool customizations to unlock in sticker packs (think a little bit like crates in TF2, but you use in-game currency you get from playing to open them and they contain multiple things, like Customs, Spawnables, variant pieces which you use to unlock variants and the like). In this update we got a Herbal Assault (Which is Gardens and Graveyards, but the roles are reversed. In G&G Zombies attack and in HA plants attack) map, 2 new variants, and a lot of customizations I personally dislike. Like, the customization selection was actually good in GW1, with something appealing to everyone, now it's all just really flashy ****. And this update brought even more flashy ****. Honestly I'm not looking forward to the future of this game... Seems pretty bleak for me. I still prefer playing GW over Overwatch, honestly. Even if there's hardly any balance, GW2's still really fun.
I don't think Kirby's getting an anniversary game as Robobot's filled with lots of fanservice by including references to past stages, old songs and the bonus boss

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
I don't think Kirby's getting an anniversary game as Robobot's filled with lots of fanservice by including references to past stages, old songs and the bonus boss
Yeah, I know. But there's always a chance, right?

I honestly would at least like to see a gold Kirby amiibo of the sort if they aren't gonna do a game.

Or you know, at least make Kirby amiibos with a notable character from each main game throughout the years (Rick, Ribbon, Marx (normal form), (perhaps Dark Meta Knight...? can't think of any other good Amazing Mirror Rep), Daroach, Magalor, Taranza, and most recently Susie) or something like that and they could release each amiibo depending on what day the game they were in launched.

I know it's kind of wishful thinking, but that's honestly what I would like to see if we wouldn't get a game.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The thing is, since 2000, there have been only 3 years WITHOUT some form of Kirby game.
07, 09, and 13.
So I think we'll see SOMETHING for Kirby next year, coinciding with the NX's launch seems like a prime year for a console game, even if it isn't heralded as a major anniversary title.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The thing is, since 2000, there have been only 3 years WITHOUT some form of Kirby game.
07, 09, and 13.
So I think we'll see SOMETHING for Kirby next year, coinciding with the NX's launch seems like a prime year for a console game, even if it isn't heralded as a major anniversary title.
If we DO get something, I predict a 3D remake of an older game

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
I'm still surprised we didn't get a main (Rainbow Curse doesn't count) Kirby game for Wii U, honestly. While I'm not complaining PR should've been on Wii U or anything, I do sort of wish that it'd get at least one main Kirby game before the end of its lifespan.

If we DO get something, I predict a 3D remake of an older game
In all honesty considering they actually did 3-D (like z-axis and all that) Kirby for the first time since Air Ride with PR, I'm hoping they'll expand upon that and make an actual 3D Kirby game.
I mean, considering how they're tinkering with it right now, what with different planes and all, perhaps the dream of a 3D Kirby could actually come true, someday...

Or you know, they could just do as you said and make a 3D remake of Super Star or something.
(not that I'm against the idea of course, but still... actual 3D kirby would be nice, you know?)
Air Ride 2.
It's coming.
OK NO BUT THIS.
THIS IS ALL I EVER WANT IN LIFE.
WHY DON'T THEY JUST... JUST DO IT?!

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just finished South Park: The Stick of Truth. I really loved it plus extemely funny & clever.

Can't wait to dive into the Fractured But Whole when it comes out (pun DEFINITELY intended). :upsidedown:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Apparently now that Sun and Moon are being translated into Mandarin Chinese, Nintendo/ Gamefreak/ Whatever are planning on using the Chinese translations of the names

Fans of the series protested this change

The protests are taking place in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has English and Cantonese Chinese as its official languages, so I'm assuming that Hong Kong gamers are more familiar with the English names of Pokémon, rather than the Mandarin Chinese names.

The only problem is that they were apparently protesting outside the Japanese embassy.

:231:

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The protests are taking place in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has English and Cantonese Chinese as its official languages, so I'm assuming that Hong Kong gamers are more familiar with the English names of Pokémon, rather than the Mandarin Chinese names.

The only problem is that they were apparently protesting outside the Japanese embassy.

One of the pokemon they are changing the name for is Pikachu, as well. The one that's been the mascot for like, 20 years

Imagine if they decided to suddenly give him a proper English translate name

Like, I think the actually translated name would be "Zap Squeek" or something

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
The memes of the Sonic twitter are better than the Sonic games, and I'm not joking.
I can't imagine a time the Sonic twitter was clean of all the memesmanship going on over there.

Excuse me while I peruse a little bit.

Ok, so looking back at Non-Meme Sonic Twitter, all it seems to be is just figure comics and "buy our stuff!".

This doesn't make me laugh, so much as it makes me cringe a little bit on the inside.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
One of the pokemon they are changing the name for is Pikachu, as well. The one that's been the mascot for like, 20 years

Imagine if they decided to suddenly give him a proper English translate name

Like, I think the actually translated name would be "Zap Squeek" or something
That's a dilemma, because non-Hong Kong gamers from China would probably be familiar with the Mandarin Chinese names.

Pleasing everyone would mean three Chinese versions, which Nintendo was probably unwilling to put effort into.

Last edited:

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Yeah, that's probably why Waddle Dee has an amiibo and Bandana Dee is considered the fourth main character.
Not to mention Bandana had a supporting role rather than someone like MK and Dedede in Rainbow Curse.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, that's probably why Waddle Dee has an amiibo and Bandana Dee is considered the fourth main character.
But Sonic has an amiibo too, surely he must be good if he has one?

Or maybe amiibo aren't as much of an honour as one might think considering some pretty obscure characters like Lucas have an amiibo too.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Better than the Kirby games as well. :^)
Nice meme.

But Sonic has an amiibo too, surely he must be good if he has one?

Or maybe amiibo aren't as much of an honour as one might think considering some pretty obscure characters like Lucas have an amiibo too.
What kind of logic is that?
Those characters only have amiibo because they are in Smash.

You said Waddle Dee is not important for the Kirby franchise, and the reason he has a Kirby series amiibo is because he obviously is important.
Waddle Dees appear in every Kirby game unlike Meta Knight or Dedede.

Oh, and I didn't know you were Sakurai, thanks for saying that a character will never be in Smash, now I will stop supporting him because it will obviously never happen.

You are just "salty", I just said something that basically everybody says now.
It's OK, just accept it, Sonic games are not good now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

An argument with personal attacks? I mean, we usually have pointless arguments a lot but I believe this is the first one of these we ever had, or at least one of the few, good going guys!

An argument with personal attacks?
An argument with personal attacks? I believe this is the first one of these we ever had, or at least one of the few,
This thread gets stupid all the time though. It's why we had 4 mods at the same time at one point. :p (not really)

And this is why you don't get involved with memes kids.

Gets you into unnecessary internet arguments

Stay in school kids. Don't do memes. Eat your fruits and vegetables.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
An argument with personal attacks? I mean, we usually have pointless arguments a lot but I believe this is the first one of these we ever had, or at least one of the few, good going guys!
And it's because of memes.
Monsoon was right.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Nice meme.

What kind of logic is that?
Those characters only have amiibo because they are in Smash.

You said Waddle Dee is not important for the Kirby franchise, and the reason he has an amiibo is because he obviously is important.
Waddle Dees appear in every single Kirby game, you are just "salty".

It's OK, just accept it, Sonic games are not good now.
It baffles me that you still haven't caught on to the joke I was making.

Quotations change the context of things.

But on the more serious side of things, "Sonic was never good" and "isn't good anymore" are both baseless statements one makes when they want to be edgy. The former disregards the fact that the franchise has now outsold Super Mario and Pokémon and has lasted for 25 years and counting and has overall been a cultural icon since it started. The latter assumes you actually know what the next Sonic game is going to be like. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric doesn't count for anything since it was a game developed by a third party studio and was forced into a position that harmed the game, and was designed to be a very different game anyway. It's more of a licensed cartoon game than it is a Sonic game, saying the series is "not any good anymore" is like saying Mario is bad because of Ultra Smash, or Zelda is bad because of the CD-i games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom