• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm only just a little confused and a lot of disturbed right now.
I mean, we asked for this...?

So how does this work, anyway? Is it like, you choose the song and the character you are performs it? Or is the song attached to the character? Because a lot of people thought it was the latter, I think.
You choose the song. Or if it's in the single player, it's probably chosen for you.

They only have one Mario and Sonic remix.

The rest of the songs are just orchestral classics. Which are fine, but why is this game even still Mario and Sonic branded when they've stripped away 80% of what makes them worthy of using both licenses?

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Which are fine, but why is this game even still Mario and Sonic branded when they've stripped away 80% of what makes them worthy of using both licenses?
Because Mario and Sonic are popular. And really, any developer with a mascot's probably gonna exploit them in some shape or form. It may be a cheap way of gaining popularity, but if they used olympic games mascots rather than Mario and Sonic characters, the games wouldn't have gathered NEARLY as much attention as it did.

It's just good people realized that the games are starting to get a little boring at this point.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Because Mario and Sonic are popular. And really, any developer with a mascot's probably gonna exploit them in some shape or form. It may be a cheap way of gaining popularity, but if they used olympic games mascots rather than Mario and Sonic characters, the games wouldn't have gathered NEARLY as much attention as it did.

It's just good people realized that the games are starting to get a little boring at this point.
Actually, the main reason SEGA and Nintendo still collaborate on these games is because of a contract with the Olympic Committee. SEGA used to develop regular Olympics video games for them too.

However, I feel if they are going to strip down these games so much and focus so much on the Miis, they may as well rebrand the series for Miis altogether.

Figured I'd rank the Pokemon rivals for fun. :p

Best to Worst:

Cheren and Bianca
Blue
Barry
May/Brendan
Hugh
Wally
Tierno
Silver (Yeah, I know other people like him, but he was never challenging and he's not even redeemable :p)
Serena/Calem (though the fan theory that you're their rival makes them much better)
Shauna
Trevor
My list:
Silver (he just happens to use a lot of Pokemon I like)
Blue
Cheren
Hugh
Wally
Bianca
Barry
Serena/Calem
May/Brendan
Kalos Trio

So many rivals and still that one fangame I played this year had almost as many.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So is anyone else having this same problem with their YouTube subscriptions?

It's displaying them in Grid view, when I have it set to List view (I prefer List view as you can see longer titles and can see a bit of the description, and it's overall cleaner to look at). I have clicked List view again (top right icon) multiple times, but it isn't doing anything.

I hope this isn't a sign of another braindead option removal from YouTube, they have an awful habit of doing that.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

It's displaying them in Grid view, when I have it set to List view (I prefer List view as you can see longer titles and can see a bit of the description, and it's overall cleaner to look at). I have clicked List view again (top right icon) multiple times, but it isn't doing anything.

I hope this isn't a sign of another braindead option removal from YouTube, they have an awful habit of doing that.
ya a lot of people are having that problem

Kind of... I normally use grid view, but it doesn't allow me to switch to list view.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
and today is the 24 hour reminder that pokemon news is happening tomorrow

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So there is an official Japanese Sonic Twitter account themed around the 25th Anniversary (it was initially used for the 20th Anniversary back when Generations was coming out, but they have revived it for the 25th), and they posted some interesting stuff today.

Apparently, there was a 25th Anniversary party on in Japan very recently.

They seem to have showed off a few things at it. First off, Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice was apparently at the event.

They also showed off some new merchandise and imagery. That rather plush looking Sonic on the bottom right was used in on of the Sonic Twitter's (the meme-y one) post, along with pictures of other characters in a similar style. That was the first we saw of them so I thought Aaron Webber just drew them himself, but it seems these actually come straight from Sonic Team.

And the official Japanese SEGA Twitter also tweeted some 25th Anniversary imagery. Among these photos, they also revealed the design of the 25th Anniversary Coin that Aaron Webber mentioned is to be given out at special events this year, and it will also be given out to those who pledged to certain tiers on the Summer of Sonic Kickstarter campaign.

Since I am going to Summer of Sonic and pledged enough to get one of these coins, I'm pretty happy with it's design.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rival rankings, eh?

Great
1. Gary (He will always be "Gary" to me)
2. Silver

Good
3. Barry

All right
4. Wally
5. Hugh

Mediocre
6. Brendan / May
7. Tierno
8. Cheren

Terrible
9. Shauna
10. Trevor
11. Calem / Serena

Beyond Terrible
12. Bianca

Burruni

Smash Hero
As a huge Pokemon Fan.
Rival Rankings.

Top Tier
Blue
Wally

Damn Good
Silver
Cheren

Eh
Barry
Bianca
Hugh
Selena/Cheren
May/Brendan

Bad
Tierno
Trevor
Shanna

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/06/sonic-25th-anniversary-joypolis-party-to-be-live-streamed/

The Sonic 25th Anniversary Joypolis Party that is taking place on June 23rd, will be livestreamed.

This is the first time SEGA have ever livestreamed a Sonic Joypolis Party. It should also be noted that at last year's Sonic Joypolis Party, we got the first official reveal of Sonic Runners.

So I think there is a high chance that this may be the event to give us the first reveal of the upcoming Sonic game.

SEGA have already uploaded livestream links for the event and everything, so if you're interested, be sure to bookmark one of them and mark your calendar for June 23rd.

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_0Smuksrqo

Nico Live:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv265060242

AbemaTV FRESH!:
https://abemafresh.tv/sega/15904

Also I don't think I posted about this before, but we have a soft/unofficial confirmation that SEGA is ALSO planning a private Sonic 25th Anniversary Party for press in LA, and it is very likely it will be taking place during E3.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/05/sega-in-talks-for-sonic-25th-anniversary-party-in-la/

D

Deleted member

Rival rankings, eh?

Great
Gary (He will always be "Gary" to me)
2. Silver

Good
3. Barry

All right
Wally
5. Hugh

Mediocre
6. Brendan / May
7. Tierno
8. Cheren

Terrible
9. Shauna
10. Trevor
11. Calem / Serena

Beyond Terrible
Bianca
What is so bad aboug Bianca though? How can she be worse than the Kalos trio?

D

Deleted member

What is so bad aboug Bianca though? How can she be worse than the Kalos trio?
With Bianca I find her personality and design wise to be nothing more than "moe", and it feels like her design is to appeal to that kind of crowd. Throughout the game she is clusmy/ditzy, and is rather helpless as an individual and isn't really confident in her actions and she's just kinda there.

It would've helped if she actually was significant in any way, but it's like in action, she never really tried. I find her rather dull, and generic for a female character.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So here's something interesting.

Apparently, most of the Nintendo related fan projects that have been taken down/C&D'd were never from Nintendo themselves. As in, Nintendo never actually took any of them down, but rather some guy posing as a Nintendo rep.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Critical Hit Animation for Blacksmiths using a club in Fates is amazing.

They just flat out jump up, curl into a ball, and fling themselves forward with their club sticking out like a buzzsaw. They go full Sonic and the Black Knight.

I dunno if the animations for the classes are the same with every character but it does that with Rinkah anyway.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

They just flat out jump up, curl into a ball, and fling themselves forward with their club sticking out like a buzzsaw. They go full Sonic and the Black Knight.

I dunno if the animations for the classes are the same with every character but it does that with Rinkah anyway.
I thought Hero's had the same animation

Also, apparently the Archie comics made something called Crystal Sonic. lol

D

Deleted member

With Bianca I find her personality and design wise to be nothing more than "moe", and it feels like her design is to appeal to that kind of crowd. Throughout the game she is clusmy/ditzy, and is rather helpless as an individual and isn't really confident in her actions and she's just kinda there.

It would've helped if she actually was significant in any way, but it's like in action, she never really tried. I find her rather dull, and generic for a female character.
I like her because of how she's trying to find what to do during her journey and I can kinda relate to how indecisive she is about it
But opinions, I guess

Only difference in animations is with some classes between male and females(mostly victory poses)
But nothing beats the Dragon Fang crit animation, I mean, have you seen it?

D

Deleted member

I like her because of how she's trying to find what to do during her journey and I can kinda relate to how indecisive she is about it
But opinions, I guess

Only difference in animations is with some classes between male and females(mostly victory poses)
Yeah I mean, everyone has their opinions. I'm sure a lot of people hate Dunsparce but I love it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Apparently, most of the Nintendo related fan projects that have been taken down/C&D'd were never from Nintendo themselves. As in, Nintendo never actually took any of them down.
Nintendo has little reason to care unless they're trying to sell the fan project like an actual game. The other companies have more reason to care, since in tons of cases, it's a different subset of Nintendo that made the actual games in question that a fan project is being based upon. It's not technically Nintendo's IP so much as, say, Gamefreak's IP, etc. Rarely do they have to worry about a fan making the exact same idea they intend to make(I.E. A Pokemon with the same name and near same design). Copyrights are kind of fickle, and basically, any original content is outright owned by the creator by default. This means that fan projects can possibly take away from content intended to be made by companies. It's of course rare to the point no one should need to worry.

The IP thing is that they don't like their IP being messed with. Also, it depends what the fan project is. A unique idea being made through an engine of their own design should not be taken down, realistically. It's a fan-game and nothing more. If they don't try to make the game available for sale, why care? But if it's a romhack, that's technically illegal enough for them to take it down. You're not supposed to actually mess with roms.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But opinions, I guess

You mean the one that's basically a Smash Bros Corrin combo, right? :p

#MLGCorrin #CorrinatEVO

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Nintendo has little reason to care unless they're trying to sell the fan project like an actual game. The other companies have more reason to care, since in tons of cases, it's a different subset of Nintendo that made the actual games in question that a fan project is being based upon. It's not technically Nintendo's IP so much as, say, Gamefreak's IP, etc. Rarely do they have to worry about a fan making the exact same idea they intend to make(I.E. A Pokemon with the same name and near same design). Copyrights are kind of fickle, and basically, any original content is outright owned by the creator by default. This means that fan projects can possibly take away from content intended to be made by companies. It's of course rare to the point no one should need to worry.

The IP thing is that they don't like their IP being messed with. Also, it depends what the fan project is. A unique idea being made through an engine of their own design should not be taken down, realistically. It's a fan-game and nothing more. If they don't try to make the game available for sale, why care? But if it's a romhack, that's technically illegal enough for them to take it down. You're not supposed to actually mess with roms.
...Did you even watch the video? Because that literally has nothing to do with anything it's discussing.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Did you even watch the video? Because that literally has nothing to do with anything.
I wasn't responding whatsoever to the video. I was responding to the whole factor of why it makes sense for Nintendo to ignore fan projects these days. I shouldn't have even quoted the video too. :facepalm:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's the 10th Anniversary of Prope today, the indie studio Yuji Naka set up after he left Sonic Team. Here are some nice Twitter posts about it.

I really should play Rodea again soon. Never 100%'d either version.

D

Deleted member

I thought Hero's had the same animation

Also, apparently the Archie comics made something called Crystal Sonic. lol
I'm pretty sure the Blacksmith crit animation is the same as the Berserker or at least similar based on the description he gave
Jump, spin, strike
Heroes hold their sword like it's a heavy blade, do a horizontal spin, jump and swing it down

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Blacksmith also has the same Lethality animation as Oni Chieftan, which is also amazing, where they literally just dive right through their opponents.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Okay, I have to ask... Is Rodea any good?

I only ask because I've heard really bad things about it on Wii U, but apparently that's for reasons that isn't the fault of the game I guess? I dunno, I don't really get it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone else thinks Dunsparce is either meh or that it needs a Mega Rayquaza-tier mega
I'd like an evo, but definitely not a Mega evo. However, I'm fine with Dunsparce as is because it's awesome/cute.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Okay, I have to ask... Is Rodea any good?

I only ask because I've heard really bad things about it on Wii U, but apparently that's for reasons that isn't the fault of the game I guess? I dunno, I don't really get it.
Wii U version and 3DS version are bad to mediocre (there are a few little things I think it does better than the Wii version but on the whole it's not very good).

Wii version is a fantastic game IMO and it was my personal favourite game of 2015. Simply put, it manages to innovate the use of what is now dead hardware (the Wii Remote, even if it's still sometimes used in some Wii U games as an extra controller option), better than most games released during the Wii's prime. It's fast and exhilarating to fly around pretty much everywhere you want, and the power ups are also really fun. I also like the characters and the music quite a bit.

Some people don't even like the Wii version due to the fact they feel the controls are bad, but this game is basically another Star Fox: Zero situation in terms of how the controls work perfectly fine for the most part, they are just way different to any platformer-adventure game you would have played before, and take some getting used to. It's really satisfying to play once you get the controls down pat, though.

The only thing though, is that the Wii version is only (officially) obtainable as a bonus for first print copies of the Wii U version, assuming they've even made second print copies yet or even plan to. So essentially, the Wii version is a pre-order bonus, not a standalone product. The only way to be absolutely certain you are getting the Wii version, is to buy the Limited Edition. All Limited Editions were part of the first print run, and come with the Wii version and some extra goodies.

If you can't find the Limited Edition for a decent price or are not comfortable ordering the game online (which is mostly the only place you'd be able to get it at this point...then again, maybe it was better stocked in the US than it was in Europe), then if you have a modded Wii or use Dolphin emulator, you could always play it on those since people have uploaded the ISO online (which is justified in this case as the game is in very limited supply and may very well be impossible to get now without going to eBay). The Dolphin Dev team have also commented on how the game runs and looks particularly nice in Dolphin, so it's worth considering if you can run Dolphin on your PC.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Btw...today was a nice waste due to being summoned to court....show up....wait for several hours....only for the defendant to just plea guilty before our trial even starts...

Why do people even bother fighting if they'll just give up last minute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom