• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
So Gabe Newell made his own Twitter account:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
...I like the way this is going.
OK WAIT WAIT WAIT I THINK I MADE A DOODY

There's no blue checkmark beside the account...

I'm sorry if I fooled you guys, I didn't realize, myself.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
OK WAIT WAIT WAIT I THINK I MADE A DOODY

There's no blue checkmark beside the account...

I'm sorry if I fooled you guys, I didn't realize, myself.
Not everyone get's verified instantly.
Some guys I watch took months to get verified on Twitter.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I do feel that Pokémon would benefit from a stronger narrative. In general, Pokémon feels like it's too afraid to break through the norm and try and experiment with different things as most of the games since its conception, it hasn't broken out of its confort zone. For instance, you still do have archaic elements like the HMs, which have been toned down in recent years (ignoring ORAS for some reason), but it hasn't fully evolved from its old practice because that was how it done since the beginning. The narrative is in a similar place as we've been going through the motions for years, but aside from Gen V, it hasn't really tried to do other things with itself. With XY in particular, you went through the same basic progression: go get the badges, go beat the team, get your legendary, beat the league and Champion, all while fighting your rival(s) along the way, yet all of those elements felt lacking and got a lot of criticism. There are many complaints that have the Champion be seen as forgettable, the rivals being mostly disliked for not taking advantage of their goals, the legendaries popping out of nowhere with little depth, and Team Flare having bland roles until the plot tries to force a mature element that doesn't fit. In a lot of ways, by playing safe, I felt the games shown how stale things were getting with the typical formula and ended up feeling stagnant in a lot of ways.

Really, there's much that they could do to improve from those elements and evolve into something better, even if it doesn't mean fully dropping the league aspect. BW shown that they can have a stronger narrative in the games with a similar formula, so maybe they can use that as a building block and try to experiment more with what can be changed to further the games without fully losing its foundation. Experimenting can be risky but with a franchise that has just reached its 20th anniversary and has been criticized for its lack of evolution over the years, it may be time to take those risks. See what works, see what doesn't, they're not going to know unless they don't try, and Pokémon is at a point where poking for ways to get out of its box may be worthwhile.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Overwatch YT salt Comments 1:

"I have said it before on different youtube channels .... Overwatch is just a ****ty TF2 clone" - Set

"Sigh, just like TF2" - Innocent

"Blizzard seem to forget why they exist. I would love to play onlywatch, even before the actual game was made. Issue is, games are property of the players, not the makers. I dislike it being pay to play because thats not the way to be rewared for the effort of our request. I suggest, for long term success, to make it free. If we don't eat cows there would be less of them, do you understand blizzard?" - All men Must

"40 for this game? its so bad though give it atleast 10" - Some Minecraft user

"Very overpriced for a simple game like TF2..." -Some other random person

"I tried to watch Overwatch comeptitive over the weekend and it was just pure trash to watch. The main problem was probably that the camera would rapidly switch from one person to the next instead of just doing the top-down view. Plus, it's just a bad game for competitive due to the low skill ceilings. The main thing to be good at is team communication and hero switching, which is all pretty damn easy. Especially with so few champions and the counters to all of them being common knowledge." -A User with no avatar (Not sure if it's salt or not)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think you missed my point
Rinkah as an unit is objectivelly bad: bad bases, growths that are abysmal(especially that HP growth which ends up being offensive to any unit in FE) and doomed to start with a E rank in a game where E ranks only useful weapons are Raider ones
Any unit can be good in an easy game like BR but that doesn't mean they're good
If you used the Dread Scroll and the Heart Seal on Kaze for the skills and stats and gave him a stat booster for each stat, he would turn out WAY better than Rinkah
It's a fact, his bases say it, his growths say it, his classes say it and his support options say it

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think you missed my point
Rinkah as an unit is objectivelly bad: bad bases, growths that are abysmal(especially that HP growth which ends up being offensive to any unit in FE) and doomed to start with a E rank in a game where E ranks only useful weapons are Raider ones
Any unit can be good in an easy game like BR but that doesn't mean they're good
If you used the Dread Scroll and the Heart Seal on Kaze for the skills and stats and gave him a stat booster for each stat, he would turn out WAY better than Rinkah
It's a fact, his bases say it, his growths say it, his classes say it and his support options say it
I honestly don't see it, especially Kaze ending up way better because he has much more trouble getting EXP without grinding since the enemies you would actually kill with him are few and far between, but you do you. I think you're focusing too much on base stats and growths as if they are the only thing that matters, which might be true in Conquest, but I can't say that's the case with Birthright after my 40+ hours with it.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
So about the VR discussion from earlier, I think that this video is saying very relevant and intersting stuff:

Treesicle is one of my favorite youtube channel.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Still a little saddened by this.

I mean, they could've brought back anoth- oh, wait...

Ok yeah never mind what I said I'm absolutely fine with link totally
The fact that this game got a T rating over Wind Waker when both are cartoony is hilarious.

I mean sure the E+10 rating didn't exist at the time, but come on.

I have no words, this speaks for itself.
Look at Pixar, trying some risks that are actually good compared to Cars 2. I'd take a lesbian couple over "It's hip to **** bees" any day.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know, I'm actually kind of glad that Pixar is willing to do something new like having a LGBT couple (even if it's a minor one) in one of their films. The whole controversy about it is kind of dumb, unless Tumblr is involved.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You know, I'm actually kind of glad that Pixar is willing to do something new like having a LGBT couple (even if it's a minor one) in one of their films. The whole controversy about it is kind of dumb, unless Tumblr is involved.
Wouldn't tumblr being involved make it even dumber?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

I have no words, this speaks for itself.
Wow this is really sad. Why do people find gays wrong still? Like what the hell? There is nothing wrong with that and no reason to complain about something like this. Jeez people.

This appeared on my Twitter Feed so I might as well talk about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1226151
(obligatory swearing warning)

In short, the OP argues that the quality of writing in Pokémon is extremely mediocre, to the point that it is insulting, apparently.

Do you agree?

(I never felt like that, although it could be because I'm not a native speaker.)

:231:
Today I learned some people play Pokemon for the writing.
Hey Mystery Dungeon and Black and White have some top notch writing. Writing in the pokemon series isn't needed but when it was done in those games, they became amazing imo. IF they can pull off well written and structured stories it's great. IT works well with the series, but I don't think GF wants that in the main series. Although, I'd argue Gen 6 was filler/ a test of the 3ds, and that Sun and Moon will have a more driven story like BW. Although only time will tell.

I hope with over/around 3 years of time to work on this, they went back to the formula used in BW and will make a fully fleshed out story that creates tie backs to other games and other storylines like the Looker Arc in XY.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wouldn't tumblr being involved make it even dumber?
Second thought, you are right. They are the queens of social justice and overreacting after all. So it definitely makes the situation dumber.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Second thought, you are right. They are the queens of social justice and overreacting after all. So it definitely makes the situation dumber.
Reading this in Dr. Nefarious's voice only made it funnier.

Yes, I'm going to make like Lawrence and zip my titanium lips.

D

Deleted member

I honestly don't see it, especially Kaze ending up way better because he has much more trouble getting EXP without grinding since the enemies you would actually kill with him are few and far between, but you do you. I think you're focusing too much on base stats and growths as if they are the only thing that matters, which might be true in Conquest, but I can't say that's the case with Birthright after my 40+ hours with it.
If stats don't matter, then what does? Some good skills aren't gonna help someone that is below average on everything

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Reading this in Dr. Nefarious's voice only made it funnier.

Yes, I'm going to make like Lawrence and zip my titanium lips.
Did you glitch halfway through while a soap opera scene plays in your brain? :troll:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So I was curious and looked up the controversial trailer.

I had a good laugh over the fact that two female characters appear in the same shot with a kid, and the internet assumes they're lesbian. :laugh:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wow this is really sad. Why do people find gays wrong still? Like what the hell? There is nothing wrong with that and no reason to complain about something like this. Jeez people.

Hey Mystery Dungeon and Black and White have some top notch writing. Writing in the pokemon series isn't needed but when it was done in those games, they became amazing imo. IF they can pull off well written and structured stories it's great. IT works well with the series, but I don't think GF wants that in the main series. Although, I'd argue Gen 6 was filler/ a test of the 3ds, and that Sun and Moon will have a more driven story like BW. Although only time will tell.

I hope with over/around 3 years of time to work on this, they went back to the formula used in BW and will make a fully fleshed out story that creates tie backs to other games and other storylines like the Looker Arc in XY.
Well I mean, Mystery Dungeon's a different scenario, since it's a spinoff that's known for being more story-focused. The storyline in the main series games, for the most part, seemed like an afterthought (barring things like Generation V and Platinum, some of the best Pokemon games IMO).

Now, do I think Pokemon could do better with some story-integration and better writing? Yeah. But that's not likely, considering the main audience they go for (I mean, it says to make sure you have a basic reading level on the back of the box...).

That and I just want Looker to keep appearing in games and being awesome. The Looker sidequest and AZ were my favorite things in X and Y.

D

Deleted member

In terms of Pokemon writing, my concern lies more with how rivals are written. Rivals started getting really, I suppose you could say... babyish since around Gen 3 and it was around 5 where they felt absolutely non threatening personality wise and battling wise. On one hand, I can see them designing rivals as "buddie ole pals" now to encourage players to be nicer to one another, but it still loses the tension when done like this.

If anything, if they're gonna have friends you're going to battle, make at least one rival that isn't your friend who will play on an element outside of joy so you have higher motivation to win, and make that trainer more challenging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I have some unique ideas for Corrin I had in mind just for fun. What if he had TWO different mechanics that are based of the Fire Emblem games? One mechanic is the Crit. Mechanic, which (LIke in FE) gives you a Crit in a certain per. (Which is either 25, or 15 per. not too sure), and his other mechanic being a Level Up mech. when he gets more EXP. depending of how hard he hits his opponent (And with his max Lvl. being Lvl 5). Also I changed his down special to "Inventory" which gives him different types of weps. which had their own different stat (No it does not have similar stats like Shulk), like the Bronze Sword makes you faster, but gives you no Crit. percent, the Steel sword being an Obvious "Slow but Powerful" sword, the Killer Edge which gives you a higher chance of getting Crits. but has quite lesser damage, the Brave Sword that gives you two hits in every attack (Except for specials) but has the lowest damage, and the Omega Yato which has a Hittable Charging F-Smash, and is pretty Balanced. This might be also a stretch but he also has another Down Special in his Inventory slot called "Promotion" which like it says promotes you into a 2nd tier class, but they don't really change the moveset that much, and mostly effect it's add-on sort of thing, I won't go into full detail though.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
This Lesbian couple is another proof of Pixar awesomeness. Easily in the top 3 movie studio if you ask me.

More precisely number 1.

Burruni

Smash Hero
In terms of Pokemon writing, my concern lies more without how rivals are written. Rivals started getting really, I suppose you could say... babyish since around Gen 3 and it was around 5 where they felt absolutely non threatening personality wise and battling wise. On one hand, I can see them designing rivals as "buddie ole pals" now to encourage players to be nicer to one another, but it still loses the tension when done like this.

If anything, if they're gonna have friends you're going to battle, make at least one rival that isn't your friend who will play on an element outside of joy so you have higher motivation to win, and make that trainer more challenging.
I... feel like this is actually a great point.
With Gen 3, technically both Wally and May/Brendan are your rivals.
But... Birch's kid has next-to-no reason to do any fighting after the first one, and hell it's the ONLY rival who you never see the final form of their starter in the series (before ORAS).

In Gen 4.... let's phase it that dude's more of an annoyance who keeps trying to show you up as if purposefully being a spoof of Gary.

Gen 5, I felt.. like they hit a decent enough of a balance in motovation. The player is the more traditional trainer, aiming to become champion. Cheren sees Pokemon more... as a career, something to hone their skill of to make a proffession of by using it tactfully (brought to fruition with them becoming a Gym leader) and Bianca... being the kid who's in it just for the fun of it. And honestly I found them some of the best WRITTEN rivals even if their fights were some of the least challenging.

Gen 6 I can't even tell you the names beyond Serena/Calem and Shanna. Did you ever even battle the little nerdy kid with orange hair?

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
People will find any excuse to say Nintendo is doomed. I remember someone who claimed gaming as a whole wqs suffering because Dragonite isn't in Smash or Pokken. The only thing related to Nintendo that is doomed these days is gaming journalism, but that's not exclusive to Nintendo nor are they to blame
That person would be ME. I'm back and better than ever after suffering defeat from this embarrassing letdown of Nintendo. In the meantime, games for 2016 are actually not half that bad, and I support new characters in new series. Furthermore, I still respect your opinions and answers. I however for one still say that Nintendo has a long road ahead of itself to improve its games... Otherwise, 2016 will be a blast!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well I mean, Mystery Dungeon's a different scenario, since it's a spinoff that's known for being more story-focused. The storyline in the main series games, for the most part, seemed like an afterthought (barring things like Generation V and Platinum, some of the best Pokemon games IMO).

Now, do I think Pokemon could do better with some story-integration and better writing? Yeah. But that's not likely, considering the main audience they go for (I mean, it says to make sure you have a basic reading level on the back of the box...).

That and I just want Looker to keep appearing in games and being awesome. The Looker sidequest and AZ were my favorite things in X and Y.
Yeah MD is definitely different, but still kind of counts.

Anyway, Platinum was definitely good story wise. Red and Blue were good for a story, but in a different way. It set up some cool lore that they built upon in future entries and things such as the manga, but it was an actual story. Something like that could work again. And Looker is awesome. I think he'll definitely show up more and in Sun and Moon again. I could even see him show up in the XY anime since they are getting into the Team Flare Arc now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

These two are hookin' up again.

I see how it is.

Also Takumi's supports with Rinkah are really pleasant.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I compiled each characters approval rating over how "competitive" people self identified! The full breakdown can be read on SG!

That DLC bias!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Most forgettable rivals, nonetheless.
Also as a footnote, his name was Trevor. :p Don't remember anything about his team though.

But Tierno had a Corphish. I mean there was virtually nothing to him, but I liked Tierno. Big guy who's surprisingly light on his feet. He was like, human Darunia. :p

D

Deleted member

In terms of Pokemon writing, my concern lies more with how rivals are written. Rivals started getting really, I suppose you could say... babyish since around Gen 3 and it was around 5 where they felt absolutely non threatening personality wise and battling wise. On one hand, I can see them designing rivals as "buddie ole pals" now to encourage players to be nicer to one another, but it still loses the tension when done like this.

I liked Wally tbh, since you actually see him grow as a trainer and everything
If I'd have to rank rivals, I'd say it's Wally>Silver>Cheren>Bianca>Blue>May/Brendan>>the SM friend that can't be worse than the rest>Serena/Calem>the 10 year old girl that hits on me>Orange Helmet>that dancing dude>who allowed this kid to get a Pokemon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

Out of the post Gen 2 rivals, I liked Hugh quite a bit (even if his name just makes me think of Jimmy Neutron's Father).

He had the right attitude, sadly the Purrloin plotline fell flat, much like BW2's writing for the most part.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't play Pokémon much anymore partly because I have no characters to get attached to in it.

As far as rivals go, I think they should maybe try to have your rival start off as technically your friend and just sort of a friendly rival, but something happens half way through the game that drives a wedge between the two of you, therefore making the rivalry more intense.

Only problem there is that this might not work because your main character in Pokémon is a mute, blank slate.

D

Deleted member

Out of the post Gen 2 rivals, I liked Hugh quite a bit (even if his name just makes me think of Jimmy Neutron's Father).

He had the right attitude, sadly the Purrloin plotline fell flat, much like BW2's writing for the most part.
I knew I was forgetting someone :p
Yeah, the Purrloin thing gets old pretty quick, I would understand if it was a Pokemon his sister had a close bond with or something but he says he had JUST got it as a giff for her
And then the now Liepard doesn't even recognize him or his sister and I'm pretty sure the Shadow Triad just gave him a random one

Burruni

Smash Hero
I knew I was forgetting someone :p
Yeah, the Purrloin thing gets old pretty quick, I would understand if it was a Pokemon his sister had a close bond with or something but he says he had JUST got it as a giff for her
And then the now Liepard doesn't even recognize him or his sister and I'm pretty sure the Shadow Triad just gave him a random one
Yo I remember my friend having a huge theory about the Shadow Triad being Cilan, Chili, and Cress because they're the ONLY gym leaders to not appear at the Plasma Castle raid.
Did we ever get information on that?

D

Deleted member

It's kind of funny how similar Barry and Bianca are in design.

Blonde hair, orange white and green attire, shoulder bag, clumsy personality. I feel Barry executes the role a lot better, however. He isn't utterly helpless like Bianca is and is honestly pretty hilarious.

Chrono.

Yo I remember my friend having a huge theory about the Shadow Triad being Cilan, Chili, and Cress because they're the ONLY gym leaders to not appear at the Plasma Castle raid.
Did we ever get information on that?
It got shot down. The Gym Leader trio weren't in the castle because they couldn't make it (it was shown in a flashback).

BW2 pretty much BTFO'd a bunch of popular BW theories, it was pretty hilarious.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I liked Wally tbh, since you actually see him grow as a trainer and everything
If I'd have to rank rivals, I'd say it's Wally>Silver>Cheren>Bianca>Blue>May/Brendan>>the SM friend that can't be worse than the rest>Serena/Calem>the 10 year old girl that hits on me>Orange Helmet>that dancing dude>who allowed this kid to get a Pokemon?
Not a fan of Barry? :p

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
shauna is the best rival in x/y....she trained 2 goodra (the one in her battle maison team is diffrent from the one in her last rival battle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom