• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Since there are two different discussions going on right now between VR and FNaF, would any of you actually play a VR FNaF experience? I feel like that would be extremely terrifying. I'd try it though. Sometimes I enjoy trying to scare myself since I don't typically scare too easily.
On the first, fourth, or a new entry, I think it would.

I've become pretty hardened to most of FNaF's scares and surprises (though I would think most people would be to at least some extent after playing or watching the games a lot), but some new scares, plus the fact that I wouldn't yet have a perfect idea of what to do to prevent them from happening, would be pretty effective as a Suspense/Horror VR game.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Remember when Robot Chicken Link said he was the new face of Nintendo during the Digital Event of E3 2014?

Well... guess he was right...
Which means we'll be getting Mother 3 in the West soon enough.
As if

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Give me Space Dogfights
Well you could always just shove your face directly into the Gamepad screen for Star Fox Zero.
No idea how it'd control easily enough, though.
Maybe if you just wrapped the view of your eyes in a black blanket, with the only viewable thing being the gamepad screen?
Whatever materials necessary to do it, I suppose.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Remember when Robot Chicken Link said he was the new face of Nintendo during the Digital Event of E3 2014?

Well... guess he was right...
My reaction when Reggie comes out on stage and is just like,

"This year we just wanted to do a callback to the great sketches from Robot Chicken in 2014. So we decided to follow up and make it all about Link this year!"

It's pretty ironic though.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Which means we'll be getting Mother 3 in the West soon enough.
As if
With how heavily it's been demanded and how much it's been acknowledged, I could see Nintendo caving and doing it. No guarantees, but it's possible. After all, every game EXCEPT that one in the Mother series has been released on VC this generation due to the demand for it.

They might try to save it for the NX if they do have it in the works, though.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
My reaction when Reggie comes out on stage and is just like,

"This year we just wanted to do a callback to the great sketches from Robot Chicken in 2014. So we decided to follow up and make it all about Link this year!"
Still a little saddened by this.

I mean, they could've brought back anoth- oh, wait...

Ok yeah never mind what I said I'm absolutely fine with link totally

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
While I see some shimmer of hope for English Mother 3 possibly happening, nothing is guaranteed.

If it does come out, chances are it'll lose its "Mother 3" name in favor of something with "EarthBound" in it and might be a different beast than that well known fan translation (even though the man behind said fan translation has offered Nintendo its script free of use for them).

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
While I see some slimmer of hope for English Mother 3 possibly happening, nothing is guaranteed.

If it does come out, chances are it'll lose its "Mother 3" name in favor of something with "EarthBound" in it and might be a different beast than that well known fan translation (even though the man behind said fan translation has offered Nintendo its script free of use for them).
Yeah, I'm assuming it would be called Earthbound 2 and that they either have an unused official translation already or would make their own new one.

People would absolutely freak considering the reaction localization gets these days, but eh, you get what you ask for, I guess.

No one ever says, "I want Mother 3, but only if it has this one very, very specific fan translation!," they just say "I want Mother 3!"

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Why is this rated T?
Really.
It's E-10+ at best.
This is what the ESRB says:
ESRB said:
This is a first-person shooter in which players control Federation Space Marines as they complete objectives and battle enemy forces in a fictional galaxy. Players control specialized battle “mechs” as they explore planets to recover materials/personnel, and engage in combat with aggressive alien creatures. Players use blaster-like weapons and missiles to kill various enemies (e.g., ice titans, giant insects, space pirates, droids) in frenetic battle. Creatures disintegrate in a black particle effect when defeated. Battles are highlighted by gunfire, explosions, and cries of pain.
I think the main reason is guns, explosions, death. Bang bang ugly monsters and the such.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The one game I've seen that definitely takes advantage of VR, especially for a party-like setting, is Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Would people recommend a 2 week notice when quitting a job at Walmart?

It would it just be as good to quit now?

After all, management doesn't like me either way and I prob wouldn't get a good recommendation either way

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Would people recommend a 2 week notice when quitting a job at Walmart?

It would it just be as good to quit now?

After all, management doesn't like me either way and I prob wouldn't get a good recommendation either way
At my job I've experienced lots of people quitting without warning and I consider it a **** move regardless of what they thought of their time there.

Many times I've had to cover their ***es via sudden schedule changes without warning due to that and that's no fun for me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
At my job I've experienced lots of people quitting without warning and I consider it a **** move regardless of what they thought of their time there.

Many times I've had to cover their ***es via sudden schedule changes without warning due to that and that's no fun for me.
Well, I don't really care about the people that would have to cover me because it's not like ANY employee can just do my job. It would only be specific employees

Burruni

Smash Hero
OH CRAP.
PERSONA 5 NEWS UPDATE.

Our "Class President" biker's name is unveiled as Makoto Nijima, while still expected to be the Chariot S. Link, we have her persona finally named. After Pope Joan, we have Joanna. She's also been noted to have a skill of the Nuclear family, Frei.

As we know, our navigator and presumed Hermit S. Link is Futaba Sakura, wielder of the persona Necronomicon.

And lastly, the "Beautiful Lady" is unveiled. Haru Okumura, with her persona being... the manipulative villain of the Three Musketeers, Milady. Making me question if she'll end up being... of the Moon Arcana.

Most interesting is that it is shown having a far more... offensive form. Questionable if Haru will be a glass cannon of sorts, given by the extreme nature of her weapons being a poleaxe and a shotgun.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Capcom delays Ibuki for the end of June, promises more communication.

How was Killer Instinct 3's launch received by fans as that game barely had any content at launch too (then again, at the time, it was also cool to hate the Xbox One due to the massive negative reception it got at the beginning).

I don't know myself as I didn't invest into the game until the week before Season 3 launched (and I haven't found a reason to complain yet).

Last edited:

Chrono.

How was Killer Instinct 3's launch received by fans as that game barely had any content at launch too (then again, at the time, it was also cool to hate the Xbox One due to the massive negative reception it got at the beginning).

I don't know myself as I didn't invest into the game until the week before Season 3 launched (and I haven't found a reason to complain yet).
People were pretty angry at how it was an exclusive, as well as it being F2P. The developer being Double Helix (for the first season) didn't help either.

That being said, the game actually came out and people warmed up to it more, since it ended up being really good.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If they choose to not keep the name Mother 3, calling it anything other that EarthBound Endings would be huge missed opportunity.

:231:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People were pretty angry at how it was an exclusive, as well as it being F2P. The developer being Double Helix (for the first season) didn't help either.

That being said, the game actually came out and people warmed up to it more, since it ended up being really good.
Why wouldn't it be an exclusive? It is a RARE title

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I have no words, this speaks for itself.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This appeared on my Twitter Feed so I might as well talk about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1226151
(obligatory swearing warning)

In short, the OP argues that the quality of writing in Pokémon is extremely mediocre, to the point that it is insulting, apparently.

Do you agree?

(I never felt like that, although it could be because I'm not a native speaker.)

D

Deleted member

Late reply but eh
Yeah, your copy shares HP, including healing. If you keep the copy near a healer and away from enemies, you can easily tank everything with the original. It definitely has a use for tanking, that's part of why it's broken.
That is just a waste of a skill slot and your healer's turn, just get Renewal on her already
Her HP and Strength growths are easily fixable, especially her Strength because of her Personal and all of the other skills you can get for her that buff her Strength.
You can't fix growths, the best one can do is A+ her with Charlotte in Rev to get Berserker
And it sure must be great to waste a personal skill so she can deal as much damage as others when others have best stat boosters, auras and pseudo-counters
Sakura and Azura have terrible defense so it's more difficult to have them fight enemies in order to level up and reclass them and get what skills you might need. Sakura died in Chapter 6 and I never looked back, and Azura, while useful at times, has caused me more trouble than anything because the A.I has a vendetta against her.
You're not supposed to grind for skills anyways
And you shouldn't put Azura on the frontlines, she's a dancer
You're making what I've done with Rinkah sound way more intensive than it actually is. I
Wait, hold on, I just need this quoted
she just is that strong naturally
Her bases tell otherwise
with only one item buff to each stat except magic (
How isn't this "intensive"? Spending so many stat boosters in a single characters is a complete waste unless you're doing a solo run
You took other characters' chance to boost their stats so Rinkah could start being useful
This IS favoritism
honestly she was a better Ninja/Master Ninja than Kaze, who barely did any damage and couldn't take a hit even though I did more training for him than Rinkah)
Kaze is a support unit, a dodge tank and a Mage killer, he isn't supposed to take physical damage
He can kill mages with little retaliation damage, dodge enemy hits or weaken enemies(which is the main things for Ninjas)
You're just using him wrong
And the Dread Scroll was a free bonus I got for owning all three versions of the game, and the class makes perfect sense for her because she already naturally builds experience in the weapons it uses. None of this required going out of my way
You get two DSs and there are two characters that make better use of it
She got a power boost because DF has promoted bases and growths, any character would get as much increase to their already higher bases
Also, she starts with E ranks on EVERYTHING, any other character that starts with either Daggers, Swords or Axes will already have better ranks than her
And if her Ninja reclass option is "natural access", then almost every character in Hoshido has it
And once again, Conquest characters don't matter because I'm playing Birthright.
DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST???
WHEN DID I MENTION A CONQUEST CHARACTER?
The characters I mentioned were Scarlet, Silas and Jakob, all avaible in BR
The only other character I can get to dodge consistently without grinding is Ryoma, and even then he has more weapon weaknesses than Rinkah seems to have. His defense isn't great and the only times he can tank is if he can easily dodge or if he has the weapon advantage.
Does "without grinding" mean "someone I didn't feed ten thousand stat boosters"?
Because if characters like Kaze, Hana, Subaki and Kaden can't dodge, you're obviously doing something wrong
And if RYOMA is not dodging nor taking hits, I call bull**** because he is able to solo the entire game by himself
Also once again, this being the easiest FE game is irrelevant.
It is not, being the easiest, almost anything works
You can solo Sacred Stones with almost any character because of how easy it is, but that doesn't make any of the cavaliers better than Seth

Her growths are objectively inferior to almost every character in the routes she's avaible in(and the ones with worse growths have good bases already or are called Setsuna)

Basically, you CAN make her useful but any other character will end up better with less effort

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

In short, the OP argues that the quality of writing in Pokémon is extremely mediocre, to the point that it is insulting, apparently.

Do you agree?

(I never felt like that, although it could be because I'm not a native speaker.)

I usually don't care how basic the writing is in the Pokémon games as I come for the gameplay and dem cool looking monsters.

Though I was blown away with how epic I found the White 1 plot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Do you agree?

Today I learned some people play Pokemon for the writing.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Black/White showed how a well-constructed narrative can work in a Pokémon game, but those games were an exception.

All other games don't really have much story. X/Y was a letdown after Generation V in that regard.

It's one of those things that you start to realize more once you play more story-driven JRPGs.

Not that Pokémon ever had narrative at its main selling point, but it's one thing that could benefit the franchise since it's becoming a bit stale by now. Black/White, once again, was a step in the right direction.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
So Gabe Newell made his own Twitter account:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
...I like the way this is going.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
IT'S BEEN CONFIRMED FOR OVER 10 YEARS.
SO SHOW SOMETHING
Well, who knows?
He could actually mean it, this time.
hopefully...
maybe...
bleh...
EDIT: Oh, oh! There's E3 coming up, right?! Maybe they'll show gameplay, there!

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Last year we got the announcements of Shenmue 3 and FF7 remake.
Could this be the year of Half-Life 3?
Who knows?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Black/White showed how a well-constructed narrative can work in a Pokémon game, but those games were an exception.

All other games don't really have much story. X/Y was a letdown after Generation V in that regard.

It's one of those things that you start to realize more once you play more story-driven JRPGs.

Not that Pokémon ever had narrative at its main selling point, but it's one thing that could benefit the franchise since it's becoming a bit stale by now. Black/White, once again, was a step in the right direction.
Gen 5 was also my least favorite

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That is just a waste of a skill slot and your healer's turn, just get Renewal on her already
Not really, because you are assuming I have only one character who can heal.

You can't fix growths, the best one can do is A+ her with Charlotte in Rev to get Berserker
And it sure must be great to waste a personal skill so she can deal as much damage as others when others have best stat boosters, auras and pseudo-counters
Then how come my growths are fixed? :p

You're not supposed to grind for skills anyways
And you shouldn't put Azura on the frontlines, she's a dancer
But I'm not. Grinding would imply I am going out of my way to specifically grind for skills. Which I'm not doing. Rinkah has been progressing mostly from story missions, and I do the 2 challenge maps the game automatically gives you after each Chapter so I can pick up some extra money or level up lower leveled characters. Grinding is when your main game progression screeches to a halt so you can build up characters, which isn't what I've been doing with Rinkah (with the exception of today because I got a great challenge map for her and I am just that close to being ready to make her a Dread Fighter).

Also I don't keep Azura on the frontlines, but a lot of Birthright maps...really don't have a "front" line. Which is terrible for Azura, it's really hard to block off enemies from her while still making decent progress/not risking other characters, when most of the maps are open fields with enemies coming from all sides. She's a gimmick character you use to give other characters an extra turn on maps where certain characters have really nice options, unless you want to reclass her (which I don't want to do because I don't want to lose that gimmick). Hence, there is no way I would use her like I do Rinkah. She definitely starts getting less useful as the story goes on.

How isn't this "intensive"? Spending so many stat boosters in a single characters is a complete waste unless you're doing a solo run
You took other characters' chance to boost their stats so Rinkah could start being useful
This IS favoritism
You do realise Birthright hands stat boosters out like candy, right? Plus there's a bunch in the Path Bonuses.

I gave her one of each because I had so many. Then I started giving plenty to other characters. It's not a big deal, and isn't some major case of favouritism. None of the other good units have been missing out (the biggest waste was giving some of them to Kaze considering what happened to him).

Kaze is a support unit, a dodge tank and a Mage killer, he isn't supposed to take physical damage
He can kill mages with little retaliation damage, dodge enemy hits or weaken enemies(which is the main things for Ninjas)
You're just using him wrong
And I used him for all of those things. How can you literally say I am "using him wrong" when I said I frequently used him as a support unit, and then you go say I should do just that? Like, what?

I also had Rinkah as a Ninja/Master Ninja, and Saizo, and they honestly do Kaze's job better in most situations from my experience, and have other things they can do too.

Also you yourself said mages are few and far between in Birthright, which I can definitely vouch for. That severely limits Kaze's use in Birthright when he's partially meant to be a mage killer. Rinkah and Saizo can do his job just as well if not better, and can actually take people on the front lines more frequently.

You get two DSs and there are two characters that make better use of it
She got a power boost because DF has promoted bases and growths, any character would get as much increase to their already higher bases
Also, she starts with E ranks on EVERYTHING, any other character that starts with either Daggers, Swords or Axes will already have better ranks than her
And if her Ninja reclass option is "natural access", then almost every character in Hoshido has it
An E rank isn't a big deal unless you're Azura because Weapon Rank builds up really quickly anyway. Rinkah was out of E Ranks in all of her weapons in no time for me. Partly because she can actually handle being at the front. It's a small disadvantage, sure, I won't deny that. But it's not a permanent one, like most of her disadvantages.

And while it's true that other characters could achieve a slightly higher Str or HP than her due to their base stats, that doesn't account for their other stats (specifically Defense, and Rinkah is one of the few characters in Birthright who has good defense), and how they might require ACTUAL grinding, especially in order to get the same collection of skills I have built up for Rinkah.

DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST???
WHEN DID I MENTION A CONQUEST CHARACTER?
Yeah, I did, and you mentioned Arthur and Beruka, which was what I was referring to.

Does "without grinding" mean "someone I didn't feed ten thousand stat boosters"?
Yes, because I didn't feed her a thousand of my plentiful stock of them.

Because if characters like Kaze, Hana, Subaki and Kaden can't dodge, you're obviously doing something wrong
They can, but not as consistently and there is more of a risk if they fail than there is with Rinkah.

And if RYOMA is not dodging nor taking hits, I call bull**** because he is able to solo the entire game by himself
Ryoma has been a dodge tank for most of my time with him, but he's starting to lose this in the latter end of the game as faster enemies (like actual Swordmaster enemies), and more enemies that screw him on the weapon triangle and enemies that he has a lower hit rate on, start popping up.

He's more than useful but he's just a bit more frail than Rinkah, I feel a bit more at risk when he's on his own in certain maps. Though he does have Vantage to make up for it, as well as Astra (which is amazing if he's paired up, since every individual hit builds up the Dual Guard Gauge with 2 points). Both him and Rinkah are the backbones of my army, for sure.

Basically, you CAN make her useful but any other character will end up better with less effort
That's not at all what I've experienced, what other Rinkah players have demonstrated, or what her non-marriage/friendship requiring skills say.

I think your arguments would be valid if she was a Conquest character and maybe it applies to Revelations (though I can't say either way myself yet). I also think they hold a bit more value if you're considering a player who only has Birthright and doesn't get Path Bonuses, specifically Dread Scroll. But none of these things apply to me and I do feel my time spent on her was worth it and I do think she was one of the characters I could achieve this kind of build with most easily and efficiently.

I mean if you don't want to use Rinkah then cool, but don't be trying to convince me it's some god awful choice I made to use her myself, especially when you yourself said "Birthright is so easy everyone is a good unit with a bit of work". If you truly believed that, I don't see why you would be trying so hard to convince me I made a bad choice.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It took ten years for Gaben to count to three.

He's been trying very hard.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Do you agree?

Well I don't feel connected to the characters in the slightest unlike some games and it's relatively uncommon for me to feel like there's any actual stakes. At the same time the level of overreaction some people have about the situation irritates me a bit, though.

I'm not going to say "it's just for kids" and say the story and the dialog in general can't do better, because of course it could. I'm just not going to act like Game Freak is personally trying to insult me just because the writing is a little underwhelming.

And for that matter, a lot of people hate that we don't have a jerk for a rival or that we're still collecting badges and fighting evil teams and such. I don't really care about that so much. They can move away from it if they want to, but there's still plenty of things they could hypothetically do even if they stick to the same formula they always have. Even if your rival is an absolute peach and the polar opposite of Blue and everything else about the plot is stock standard, if you flesh out the characters involved in said plot in an interesting enough "show, don't tell" way and convey the gravity of the situations involved a bit better, I think even the same-old same-old could be kind of interesting.

If organized crime likes to set themselves up in random cosplaying "Teams" for whatever reason instead of finding another term for their organization and having more casual attire, that's their problem, not mine. Just give me a better indicator of why I should be concerned about it than just some mild exposition and I'm good. If my rival wants to give me a hug, that's fine. Just give me a reason why I should care or fight them besides "we're both at the same place, right?" and there's not a problem.

Heck, here's a way you can kill two Pidgeys with one Rock Throw: Have your rival try to fight the evil team, only for said team to sic a Malamar or whatever on them and hypnotize them. They then proceed to make your mind controlled rival fight you, and you have to beat your rival in order to snap them out of it.

Maybe it's not the best idea, but I think it's alright for coming up with it on the spot.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
BSC uploaded their Momocon panel stream onto Youtube.

Posting because I know there are a few BSC and SomecallmeJohnny fans in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom