• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So.
After "sleeping on it" and all that.
Here's my summary of things.

The stream itself was handled a bit poorly, and quite unprofessionally. But... in a sense, the latter at least, that feels right. With this not being a "Sonic Direct." It was the 25th Anniversary PARTY. And let's face it, Sonic's "brand" was sold on being less than proper. That kind of.. cool edge, no pun intended.

But, going down to the be 4 announcements.

Sonic Mania: The Megaman 9 for the series. If Advance was Megaman X and "Sonic 4" was... X6 and 7, so to speak. The fact that they've got some of the biggest names for recreations of the classics into staff. From what we've seen, it may damn well be the "quintessential" classic game. One of few things that could dare to wrangle that from S3&K.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice: God. It's... a little sad. It basically looks like Shattered Crystal with 1 more character and a gimmick. The fact that the presentator had to repeat "Fast gameplay" so much as a selling feature... felt concerning, to say the least.

Sonic Boom Season 2: I.... haven't caught the bug with this show. I know some have, and good for them. I barely smirked at all for the "selling" skit from the preview. Also shipping talk from voice actors was cringy with RWBY and that's a VERY fan-interlinked indie series, let alone a AAA series.

Project 2017: I have next to no feeling. No gameplay. No view of any actual level. Just a CGI thing. Like Sonic and the Secret Ring's original CGI teaser. Other than it's not a sequel and it has both Sonics, we really don't have anything to know and feel about. It felt like a fairly weak close because of how little it was.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
ChikoLad ChikoLad you mentioned wanting multiple Sonics. Imagine a game with Modern, Classic, Adventure and Werehog Sonics
It's not so much that I want that specifically. At this point, I don't really care what the game is as long as it's fun, has a large sense of scale to it, and the more serious tone we are seeing isn't ruined by Pontac and Graff's writing as far as story goes (they aren't terrible writers, they just can't write a good Sonic story), while also not going into edgy Shadow territory, or convoluted mess territory like '06. You can have a serious story with a real crisis and tension, that still has levity and has fun, and is easy to follow. Literally what games like Unleashed, Secret Rings, and Black Knight did, and I am so excited that by the prospect of getting that back alone.

But I'm seeing a lot of people say it's just "Generations 2", but we don't know that yet. We were also told that it won't be a sequel, so the story will likely be it's own thing. Classic Sonic could be 3D, and Modern Sonic is 2D for all we know. Or maybe 2D barely plays into either character. And it could be just one gameplay style with multiple Sonics that represent different statistics (like Werehog being "Power-class Sonic", as an example). Or maybe there are other characters with their Classic counterparts.

Anyway, the trailer didn't tell me much, but it told me just enough to get excited.

This tweet expresses my feelings best:

That's really all I needed to see. I trust Sonic Team to make a game that plays good. I even liked Lost World for what it was. So I have no worries on the gameplay department, even if it's not 1:1 what I want. Sonic Mania already is doing that for me as far as Classic Sonic goes, so it's fine.

ChikoLad ChikoLad Since you're such a big Sonic fan, I've been wondering: what is your favorite Sonic level of all time?
In terms of actual level design, Seaside Hill Act 2 from Generations.

In terms of look, it's hard to pick a favourite, but S3&K, Sonic CD, Unleashed, and Colours are the best games for the "look" of levels IMO.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
In terms of actual level design, Seaside Hill Act 2 from Generations.

In terms of look, it's hard to pick a favourite, but S3&K, Sonic CD, Unleashed, and Colours are the best games for the "look" of levels IMO.
Nice. Mine is probably the Crisis City redux in Generations. It's a little challenging but fun. It also redeemed the level's legacy in my eyes.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Oh yeah, don't forget. The people who are making Sonic Mania would technically be considered an indie studio. So the Dev Team might not be able to get Dev Kits for the NX as reports have been saying about other Indie Developers. So once the NX is revealed... we might be able to get a straight port of it then.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wow...randomly turned on Go while at the office to start work and a wild Pikachu appeared...

'Excuse me, but work's going to have to wait a minute!'
That happened to me at work, but it was a Squirtle

Got super excited

Burruni

Smash Hero
Wait... they talked about RWBY shipping at a sonic party?

Um... ok then.
She meant that the RWBY cast did the same thing and it was cringey then too
^ This.
And the stressed contrast being an indie animation series whose cast and staff is very close TO the community and fans to the staff of a AAA series who has one or two people who really do anything outside of conventions.

Which makes it feel even more.... out of place to even be brought up.

It was worse than the Totinos segment, to me.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I guess I should give proper impressions:

Sonic Mania: It's literally my dream Sonic game as far as Classic Sonic goes. I've wanted Taxman and Stealth to make an original Sonic game since their Sonic CD remaster. I've wanted Tee Lopes to compose music for an official Sonic game ever since I first heard his Splash Hill Zone remix in Sonic GDK's test level. I've wanted more crazy, Sonic CD-esque environments for so long in a 2D game. I've wanted multiple playable characters. I've wanted elemental shields. I've wanted more frames of animation with old an 16-bit style, like certain ROM hacks and Freedom Planet have done. I've wanted the twirl animation from Sonic CD when you bounce on a spring to return for a classic game. I've wanted to have to explore to find Special Stages like S3&K.

Literally ALL of these things are in Sonic Mania. Every one of them, even something as small and insignificant as the Sonic CD spring twirl. It's ****ing insane and I still can't believe it. They could have ended the stream right after this and I would have been happy. Like what? Do SEGA have a wireless connection to my brain or something, where they can see everything I think? Because I feel like this was MADE for me. Like someone has paid attention to every single thing I want.

This game is also ground breaking for Sonic fans with an interest in game development, like myself - it means that, if we have a good enough idea that SEGA would like, we may get to work on a game for our favourite franchise one day, like Taxman, Stealth, and Tee Lopes. Hell, the game even has former Sonic 2 HD developers on the team. This is insane. I have never seen a video game company just GIVE a game to fans, for them to make it. Mega Man X Street Fighter and Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 are one thing. They get a bit of promotion from the company on social media but that's it. But SEGA is literally trusting fans to make a mainstream Sonic product, that will be officially published and sold by SEGA. That's an amazing step forward for the industry, and for Sonic.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice: Nothing really new came of this, but it still looks like a great and solid game. It's more for kids so I'm not sure if I will pick it up on release, and I still want to try a demo. It's just a shame it didn't get the attention it deserved at this event, I feel real bad for Sanzaru. But I do intend to pick this game up eventually, I likely can't on release though for financial reasons.

Sonic Boom: Season 2: Not much to say, looks like the same Sonic Boom show I love. Though I did think the graphics took a hit. Specifically the lighting. I hope that's just a sign that the show still isn't near complete, and they will be implementing improved lighting later. The CGI scenes look amazing in Fire & Ice so it would be disappointing if this was worse than Season 1 for visuals. I do think the writing will be just as great as the original and I'm sure it will be funny, just worried about the visuals.

Sonic in LEGO Dimensions: It sold me. I have to get LEGO Dimensions now. Normally, the different characters kinda just feel like a re-skin with one or two unique attacks or something, but Sonic had a lot of love put into him. He can actually run fast, he has Classic Sonic/Adventure-esque physics, he has the Homing Attack, he has the Spin Dash, and he can even turn Super Sonic. And that Sonic world looks like it will be a treat to explore. Just yes. After this, I want to see a full LEGO Sonic game and line of toys.

Sonic Project 2017: Truly doesn't tell us much. I think it will play similarly to the "Boost Trilogy". And I love the fact that the tone seems more like Unleashed and Adventure. A lot of people are really annoyed by Classic Sonic being there, but I don't mind it by principle, I'll wait and see just exactly why he is there and what he brings to the table. Oh, and while it was an animation, those graphics look like they are in-engine. This was not animated by Marza. In which case, DAMN this is gonna be a gorgeous game, possibly one of the best looking in the industry. Sonic's model is so detailed yet stylised. I can't wait to see more. Oh, and just the fact that it's releasing holiday 2017, meaning it's had 4-5 years in development by the time it releases, is amazing to see. SEGA should really continue this trend - get guys like Sanzaru and Taxman to make smaller games between the big Sonic Team games that get multi-year dev cycles.

All in all, as I joked last night, "Sonic won E3". :p

D

Deleted member

Sonic Mania looks great, Project 2017(is this how it's called?)... not so much
I mean, it's hard to tell from just a CGI trailer but it looks like it'll play like Generations, which are great news, but it also looks like they're going for that "epic story" thing and it just makes me wonder how many failed Sonic plots SEGA needs to realize they're a bad idea

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
They gave fans of the series a chance to make a Sonic game from scratch.
Christian Whitehead clearly has a passion for the series with the work he put in to those ports of 1, 2 and Cd.
And it's so awesome to see him getting a chance to his own thing with this wonderful engine that has been crafted. (Classic Engine) Bringing back days of old while keeping it fresh (Amazing to see a great new music change for Green Hill) Bringing back the Classic Trio once more is a great plus too. It's doing what Sonic 4 could have only hoped to do and it's not holding on to the number name it's doing it's own thing with Mania.
And then there's this soundtrack, it's amazing hearing it I honestly already hear this and think of Genesis/ Sega Cd, Tee Lopes is amazing at what he does and it's awesome to see him part of the team.
Sonic Mania in all looks like it will help bring Classic Sonic back into the spotlight and hopefully this means he can his own series of new games alongside Modern and Boom Sonic.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yeah, I'm definitely more excited for Mania then '17. '17 doesn't look bad and I wouldn't mind a Generations 2 or amore mature storyline (though Classic Sonic being there makes me doubt it's anything more then something for people to get hyped about) but it's basically just a cutscene right now. I can't get hyped for it until we get something with actual gameplay.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The new Sonic stuff looks great. :)

Really liking Mania so far. I enjoyes playing Sonic 2 back in the day.

As for another blue game character... well...

gcie0sowaj5h40jglzpv.png

mgs11jtdg2azgxtnbfv5.jpg

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So if we do get more sonics in this besides classic and modern. And this is some sort of sonicverse(look up spiderverse if you dont understand). Besides boom sonic would there be any other sonic you would like to see?

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Sonic Mania looks pretty cool. The animation is beautiful, and while people are all laughing about some frame of the title screen, and can't help but think about how beautiful the animation is.

For Sonic resistance, the game looks pretty sick (in a good way). A world where Eggman win? That looks cool (even if a part of me somehow expect that Eggman isn't the true mastermind behind it). Anyway, can't wait to see more.

Lego sonic looks fun, but the game and it's cash-consuming feature make me a bit turn away.

I can't wait for Sonic Boom season 2

(Also, on a unrelated note, I finished Boku no Hero Academia yesterday. It's definitly excellent, I can't wait for season two. I also think a spin-off serie about some cops resolving normal crime with the help of their quirk would be pretty interesting.)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sonic Mania looks great, Project 2017(is this how it's called?)... not so much
I mean, it's hard to tell from just a CGI trailer but it looks like it'll play like Generations, which are great news, but it also looks like they're going for that "epic story" thing and it just makes me wonder how many failed Sonic plots SEGA needs to realize they're a bad idea
Sonic has been epic since day one.

Sonic 1 had a distinct "nature VS machine" angle, with levels getting more industrial and dark and menacing as you went on.
He went up to space to what was essentially the Death Star in Sonic 2.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles started making the Chaos Emeralds a plot point, had epic levels like the crumbling Sky Sanctuary, had foreshadowing in it's level design, and had an epic secret boss as Super Sonic in space.

It's not a bad idea.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Shadow and '06 were full of themselves and pretentious. Shadow thought it was edgy and dark when it was actually just silly. '06 tried to be convoluted and like it was Final Fantasy, didn't work because the writing and some concepts were bad. Sonic was also so out of character and barely relevant to the plot.

On the other hand, more recent games like Colours and Lost World have been equally terrible, just on the other end - forcing characters to act out of character for fake drama or for jokes, CONSTANTLY bringing up things that would be REALLY good for causing tension or engagement in the story (like Tails getting brainwashed in Colours), but then dropping the idea literally seconds later with a silly joke like "DURR HURR I RAN OUTTA BATTERIES". And just removing any sense of adventure from the overall story and Sonic's character went from being "cool blue dude with a 'tude who's gonna crack that Eggman wide open", to "awkward dork who is completely apathetic to everything".

This game looks more like what the Classics did, as well as games like Unleashed and the Storybook games. There is a sense of tension, crisis, and adventure, but the characters are still colourful, expressive, and have charming personalities. There is a sense of a serious crisis (in this case, it looks like Eggman might have already won and taken over the world, and Sonic will be part of a small resistance group attempting to stop it), but the characters still play it cool and can crack a joke or cheesy one-liner. But they will also know how to get serious.

One of Sonic's defining character traits since the beginning has been that he loves freedom. He believes everyone should be given the chance to live their life how they want to, and while he may be cocky, arrogant, and sorta just do his own thing most of the time (not being a dedicated Lawful Good hero like Mario or Link), when he sees a big injustice that threatens his friends or the freedom and happiness of everyone, he doesn't **** about.

If anything, this trailer didn't make me think of Sonic '06. I thought of Sonic CD.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Changed my avatar to celebrate.

I do like the idea that the resistance has all the other sonics. I think that at the very least it will bring back many characters from sonic games. I wonder when we will hear more.

D

Deleted member

I also think a spin-off serie about some cops resolving normal crime with the help of their quirk would be pretty interesting.)
There's already a show like that, it's called
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable :troll:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
In the project 2017 trailer modern Sonic avoids blue, red and yellow building debris. Since they put emphasis on it I feel like they are hinting at playable Tails and Knuckles.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Hey guis! Just reporting that I'm not dead. Had some issues I've had at home that I don't want to talk about.

Getting my own laptop veeeeerrryyy soon.

Oh, and the new Sanic games look pretty badass.

We might be getting levels based on real world locations a la Unleashed again? Sign me up.
LFD2 is in Louisiana though. . .

EDIT at least that part anyway

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
>tfw you get two new games that do a lot of things people ask for, but people still complain a lot and dislike the trailers

Also I hope Sonic Mania is playable at Summer of Sonic in two weeks, and I hope Project 2017 gets more info there too.

D

Deleted member

For those who dobut Christian Whitehead's dedication, don't. This Man knows his stuff:

What you are seeing here is Retro Sonic, a game (fan-made) made by Taxman himself, with the purpose of creating a platform game engine with the same capabilities as the engine built into Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

He did this game mostly by himself (withe the exception of stuff like the music), back in 2007, 9 years ago. If he was capable of doing this back in 2007, imagine what he is capable of NOW, and this time with SEGA supporting him (and a music composer too).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom