• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's interesting, most people like the Day stages in Unleashed...
People's impressions of them have dwindled just a bit because Sonic Generations' Modern Sonic stages were the same exact gameplay, only refined with better controls, a Skill System for customisation, and the level design was more open ended.

I still love the Unleashed day stages, though I do prefer the Modern Sonic ones in Generations. That being said, I think people don't give the Unleashed ones enough credit as far as alternate paths and stuff are concerned. The game hides stuff like medals and art books and what not in a lot of really crafty places, so you are encouraged to actually explore these stages.

MainJPW

M.T.A
We might be getting levels based on real world locations a la Unleashed again? Sign me up.
Not sure how I feel about this myself, one of the charms of the Sonic series was its ability to create a unique fictional world with fantastical and surreal environments coupled with intricate detail and a strong sense of wonder and mystery. Apologies since this'll get into the Sonic narrative a bit.

Take city environments, the designs for cities that appear in Sonic CD, Chaotix, and Heroes are pretty much entirely original, expanding on the fantasy aspect of Sonic's world with unique structures/architecture and colorful buildings:
WORLD.PNG

The buildings are vibrant and quite futuristic, the giant inward facing structures indicate that the city is inside of a dome, these are structures that just wouldn't exist in our world.

GRAND.PNG

Grand Metropolis Zone, a big bustling futuristic city accompanied by with hover cars, while not an entirely original idea it does suggest Sonic's world is far more advanced than our own.

Taking a look at a stage that is based on a real-world location.

City Escape from SA2, for example, was basically just San Fransisco, it had rings and a shuttle loop but it's still pretty close to the real place. basing a level in a real-world environment and just sticking rings, checkpoints and a shuttle loops just to show us it's still Sonic just doesn't do it; it's still just San Fransisco, it's a place that you could basically visit in real life which is kinda boring. The Classics took you out of the real world and created it's on unique environments and world(s) ( with things like Little Planet and alternate dimensions).

The stages in Unleashed do a lot better job of making them feel more unique and a bit more distant from the real locations, but I feel they still sort of lack a sense of wonder and imagination the classics established ( and subsequent Modern games set in that style like Heroes and the Advance series ) they still look like the places they're based on and it kinda meshed with the apparently normal humans that live there ( like....how the hell do they even get around all the loop de loops and floating platforms? ).

I'm fine with stage environments being inspired by real world locations as long as it still has that Imaginative flare we've come to associate Sonic with. Make it feel like it's a part of his world and not just ripped straight from ours. Sonic Adventure actually based some of its environments on places from South America, Windy Valley ( both beta and final versions ) were based on Machu Pichu as seen here:

Windy Valley still manages to distance itself enough from feeling like just Machu Pichu with rings and loop de loops and still looks like a completely unique location set in Sonics world.

All in all, I'd much prefer completely unique locations that expand on the fantasy aspect of Sonic but I'm not opposed to real world based locations as long as it still feels like it' apart of that same world.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I saw a Tweet from Nintendo that they're currently having a 12-and-under Smash Bros tourney live on Twitch.

https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

In case anyone wants to see it.

In other news, Callie Queen finally, thank goodness I got it done before the end.

My work is done here, good luck on your own.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Classics did this better/Modern does this better" doesn't even matter anymore.

Because they are now two different series' like Classic Mega Man and Mega Man X once were.

Both sides get what they want so there is no need to ask for one thing or the other in the Modern games or vice versa.

---------------

And another hype reaction.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Darksiders 1 is coming to Wii U?

Might as well postpone my DS2 run then (I only played like 10 minutes just to test it but whateves)

MainJPW

M.T.A
"Classics did this better/Modern does this better" doesn't even matter anymore.

Because they are now two different series' like Classic Mega Man and Mega Man X once were.
Not really what I meant. I'm not talking about what does what better, I'm not even just talking about the classics when I bring those points up because even modern games will take place in the more fantasy aspects of the series like Heroes, advance series, Rush series and Lost World; the real world stuff is just odd and out of place in a series such as this. The series started out with a uniquely designed and surreal world and is more often than not depicted in that state, all I'm really asking for is consistency. I'm not talking about say "classic vs. modern", I'm talking about the series as a whole ( excluding Boom ).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking about the tagline for Sonic 17, "join the resistance"... You think SatAM's cast is gonna make the jump to games? Unless they pull a Dark Brotherhood and the resistance leader is Schamlly Schmacorn.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not really what I meant. I'm not talking about what does what better, I'm not even just talking about the classics when I bring those points up because even modern games will take place in the more fantasy aspects of the series like Heroes, advance series, Rush series and Lost World; the real world stuff is just odd and out of place in a series such as this. The series started out with a uniquely designed and surreal world and is more often than not depicted in that state, all I'm really asking for is consistency.
But even the Classics had some realistic environments. Angel Island Zone may as well be Adabat from Unleashed. Starlight Carnival is basically a highway with an American suburb in the background, and could really be Empire City from Unleashed. Sandopolis Zone is just a desert and a pyramid/some ruins. Ice Cap Zone could be Holoska from Unleashed.

Both directions are fine, and honestly, all I think is required is that each individual GAME have consistent level design and theming (something Lost World failed at). If they wanna be surreal, go all out like Mania is. If they wanna be realistic, do what Unleashed and Adventure did and take interesting aspects of real world cultures and play around with them. If they wanna do something more specific like Secret Rings or Black Knight, they have to really play with those kinds of fantasy worlds.

Sticking to one or the other as the permanent direction for the franchise would limit level design potential.

. . .It feels like there are suddenly a lot more premium mebers than there were before. Or maybe i'm just crazy.

Protonjon uploaded another Superman 64 video. Feels like it's been decades.

BTW, has there been any other music from sonic mania shown off other than studiopolis? Y'all know I love my VGM

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
. . .It feels like there are suddenly a lot more premium mebers than there were before. Or maybe i'm just crazy.

Protonjon uploaded another Superman 64 video. Feels like it's been decades.

BTW, has there been any other music from sonic mania shown off other than studiopolis? Y'all know I love my VGM
gamexplain has the title screen jingle for a few seconds

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I really feel bad for him, rejected by both the voters and his own party stabbing him in the back. He was the most honest politician I've seen and will probably ever see.
What's the point of democracy if you can't vote for what you believe in? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So apparently a random toy panel at Comicon may have accidentally confirmed the villains for Spider-Man Homecoming. That's right, plural.

Apparently they were making figures for Shocker, Tinkerer, and Vulture, but "didn't have enough movie references yet."

My guess is the movie will start with Spider-Man taking down one of them to establish his heroics, while Vulture is the main villain as predicted. Not sure where the third would fit.

So apparently a random toy panel at Comicon may have accidentally confirmed the villains for Spider-Man Homecoming. That's right, plural.

Apparently they were making figures for Shocker, Tinkerer, and Vulture, but "didn't have enough movie references yet."

My guess is the movie will start with Spider-Man taking down one of them to establish his heroics, while Vulture is the main villain as predicted. Not sure where the third would fit.
My first thought was "Sinsiter Six" when you said plural.

Now i'm dissapointed.

Can't wait to see more of mesh man though!
(More commonly known as shocker but he is definitely mesh man)
"this isn't the hot babe I was promised :/"
-Sonic
:061:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Tinkerer probably helps Vulture with the suit whilst Shocker just does a bank robbery at most.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Tinkerer probably helps Vulture with the suit whilst Shocker just does a bank robbery at most.
Thats my theory as well. I've heard some put it as Tinkerer may be the film's Zola while Shocker is the film's Batroc.

D

Deleted member

Forgive me people, that Sonic Mania Title Screen was too good to NOT have it as my siganture.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Had a random thought that is probably very unlikely.

Could Sonic Mania possibly be connected to Sonic 2017?

Something happens in Mania that ruins the future and both Sonics have to stop it in Sonic 2017?

It's just a theory, a Game Theory.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Considering most people's reaction to Classic Sonic in Sonic Project 2017, I decided to edit a GIF in a way that references an old Tumblr meme.

I can't post it here because it requires a word not suitable for us five year olds, but it me laugh when I thought of it.

D

Deleted member

Forgive me people, that Sonic Mania Title Screen was too good to NOT have it as my siganture.
I had it as my signature at one point as well. Gotta love the animation.

Honestly, I kind of want Nintendo to make a new 2D Mario game with sprite-based graphics and animation of Sonic Mania's quality, but with the art style of Super Mario World or All-Stars. (Not that I expect it to happen.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A thought occours...

Sega is celebrating a Sonic anniversary with a 2D throwback and a 3D game that looks to be super serious...

... uh oh?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A thought occours...

Sega is celebrating a Sonic anniversary with a 2D throwback and a 3D game that looks to be super serious...

... uh oh?
I can't call Project 2017 "super serious" with Classic Sonic flying in with that big dopey smile and Modern Sonic giving him a smile and a thumbs up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I can't call Project 2017 "super serious" with Classic Sonic flying in with that big dopey smile and Modern Sonic giving him a smile and a thumbs up.
True but Giant robots smashing up a burning city is a bit of a leap from Colors' amusement park of doom theme.

Mostly did that to make a point.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
True but Giant robots smashing up a burning city is a bit of a leap from Colors' amusement park of doom theme.

Mostly did that to make a point.
I mean.

It's like I keep saying.

Sonic games should have stakes. A sense of urgency.

Colours actually had one of Eggman's darkest schemes ever (brainwashing the entire planet and harvesting energy from cute little aliens to do it, while corrupting their bodies in the process), but the problem was that nobody had a sense of urgency, not even Eggman. And chances for interesting moments like Tails being brainwashed were squandered.

This game looks like it's just going back to Sonic having a real threat, and actually taking it seriously, without actually changing his character to a boring, frowning log like in Sonic '06. He's still Sonic, but he has a pretty serious situation to deal with.

Also seems like the focus remains on Eggman rather than a monster of the week this time so that's actually really good. Eggman is the threat this time.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
man, looking back at the AVGN videos makes me sentimental of YouTube's early days

it helps that his videos still hold up today in my eyes

also sonic mania looks good, especially since i've seen gameplay of the fanmade After The Sequel game

lastly here's tsundere Ms. Pac-Man

Just beat world 1 of Spyro 2 by only beating Glimmer. Sequence breaks!

Sure I beat world one in the time it took world record to beat the whole game but it's a start :p

:061:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom