• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For those who dobut Christian Whitehead's dedication, don't. This Man knows his stuff:

What you are seeing here is Retro Sonic, a game (fan-made) made by Taxman himself, with the purpose of creating a platform game engine with the same capabilities as the engine built into Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

He did this by himself, back in 2007, 9 years ago. If he was capable of doing this back in 2007, imagine what he is capable of NOW.
He uses the same engine for the mobile remasters and Mania, so their physics will be the same.

It's called the Retro Engine.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I guess I'll give my thoughts on the event.

The Stream Itself: It was so bad it was good. All the crashing, the lateness, the audio issues and that dang buzz. It was terrible but I was cracking up the whole time. I love how Crush 40 music just fixed everything.

Sonic Mania: If that game was it, I would have been slightly disappointed, but it wasn't. As for the game itself, it looks incredible. Fast paced platforming, amazing spritework (that title animation is 11/10 work), gorgeous looking visuals, and multiple characters. I want it. I want all of it. Also nice reference to the dubbing company with Studiopolis Zone.

Sonic Boom Fire and Ice: Nothing new was really shown, but I'm still excited for it. The game looks fun, and I think I'll enjoy it a lot. Sucks that people won't give it a chance just because it's Sonic Boom.

Sonic Boom Season 2: I'm excited. Second season to one of my favorite cartoons of all time. Looks to be just a good as season 1, so yeah. Definitely gonna be watching it.

Project Sonic 2017: Hypest moment of the show. Beautiful looking CG trailer with good ol' Modern Sonic. I kinda wish it was a different character instead of Classic Sonic, but I liked his gameplay in Generations, so I have no real problems with that game. I hope it doesn't become too dark and I hope the writing is still Pontac/Graff style. Super duper hyped for this one.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just had a thought.

As far as tone goes, I can really see this being just like Unleashed - with Classic Sonic replacing Chip as comic relief.

I can totally see Classic Sonic doing something like what Chip is doing here.

Also

>mfw people keep saying "THIS GAME IS GONNA BE EDGY AND GRIM DARK"

Cool story, bro

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I just had a thought.

As far as tone goes, I can really see this being just like Unleashed - with Classic Sonic replacing Chip as comic relief.

Also

Cool story, bro
With the direction the trailer went, I can't see Pontac and Graff coming back as the writers.
I wonder who'll take their place?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What is Sonic Mania? New Sonic game based on Genesis games? Or like Super Mario All-Stars but with Sonic Genesis games?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What is Sonic Mania? New Sonic game based on Genesis games? Or like Super Mario All-Stars but with Sonic Genesis games?
New Sonic game based on the Classic games with some remixed versions of old levels thrown in as a bonus. Developed by members of the Sonic fan-game/ROM hacking community.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I swear the NX only has like three games announced and a couple other ones teased and I'm already keeping three in mind in case they turn out well enough for me to pick them up:

Breath of the Wild
Sonic Resistance
Animal Crossing NX (assuming the app description was referring to more than just a New Leaf update)

This is a COMPLETE contrast to the Wii U's launch, where there was absolutely nothing I was interested in.

I swear if these games are all good and you gave me Smash Bros NX with minimal cuts and a story mode, Kid Icarus NX with normie/lefty-safe controls and a more fleshed out multiplayer, and Splat2n with a better and more fleshed out single player, Nintendo character outfits, and a longer support period, this thing would practically be a manna machine for me.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Level-5 will also be holding a vision event in the next few days. I wonder if they will (or can) announce or tease anything in the works for the NX too....

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
New Sonic game based on the Classic games with some remixed versions of old levels thrown in as a bonus. Developed by members of the Sonic fan-game/ROM hacking community.
Oh okay. I thought it was like all the Sonic Genesis levels in one game and you get to choose which level you want to play a la Mega Man.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The change in tone between Batman v Superman and this, is crazy.

Only awkward part was where Momoa spoke really. Needs to sound a little more authoritative.

Also have some Wonder Woman:

And a JL group shot:

So what was the point in killing Superman if he's going to be immediately revived again?
holy **** actual colour in something Snyder related

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Alright, so I've been watching more and more of Sonic Mania and it does look damn good. Am I still disappointed in it? Sure, a little. It still seems like an awesome fan game at its core and maybe it is but just has Sega's name on it. Which is cool. So, I'm excited for it. Just not as much as some people here.

I'm still irked about the DCEU as a whole for a specific reason. Marian Manhunter. The, in my opinion, coolest character on the Justice League AND the Co-founder might I add is just thrown under the bus? The **** DC?
I just had a thought.

Also

Cool story, bro
Tonally, Unleashed was great. Day Sonic was also great. Werehog was the only negative to me though. It's a very split and opinionated topic and I know that you love the Werehog. But tell me, did the Werehog levels not get old to you? Even a little? I'm all for having him in the new game for one or two levels. I just think Unleashed went too overboard with it.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

this trailer.Holy ****!This trailer,Holy ****! This trailer!HOLY ****! This makes sitting through Batman V Superman worth like. This feels like DC answer to the avengers,and in a non forced way

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
>tfw you get two new games that do a lot of things people ask for, but people still complain a lot and dislike the trailers

Also I hope Sonic Mania is playable at Summer of Sonic in two weeks, and I hope Project 2017 gets more info there too.
Welcome to the Sonic fandom, where history repeats itself over and over again.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Tfw Mega Mans are seriously using Sonic Mania as an excuse to expect a new classic Mega Man game from Cashcom.

I want a new Mega Man game as much as the next guy, but this is ridiculous.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm still irked about the DCEU as a whole for a specific reason. Marian Manhunter. The, in my opinion, coolest character on the Justice League AND the Co-founder might I add is just thrown under the bus? The **** DC?
DC have been ****ing Manhunter over for a while.
GL being absent is a shame too (though I can understand why even if it's a silly reason given we got a new Spider-Man just two years after ASM2 and his film is next year whilst GL waits until like 2020)

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Tfw Mega Mans are seriously using Sonic Mania as an excuse to expect a new classic Mega Man game from Cashcom.

Wouldn't the comics they had for a while and the redesigned cartoon be more indication of that than anything another company is doing?

Granted, considering the designs of the cartoon it may not be the revival anyone wants, but that's the main sign. What's SEGA's doing has squat to do with Capcom's direction, though.

Chrono.

So my friend just learned that Redbox is very easily trickable. He rented Uncharted 4 and...

RIP

We already got 2 back to basics Megaman games anyway, it's time for something new.

Or at least not a complete retraux.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Alright, so I've been watching more and more of Sonic Mania and it does look damn good. Am I still disappointed in it? Sure, a little. It still seems like an awesome fan game at its core and maybe it is but just has Sega's name on it. Which is cool. So, I'm excited for it. Just not as much as some people here.

Tonally, Unleashed was great. Day Sonic was also great. Werehog was the only negative to me though. It's a very split and opinionated topic and I know that you love the Werehog. But tell me, did the Werehog levels not get old to you? Even a little? I'm died for having in the new game for one it two levels. I just think Unleashed went too overboard with it.
Werehog got old to me in the Wii/PS2 version, but not in the PS3/Xbox 360.

In the Wii/PS2 version, you just alternated between the two attack buttons/waggled the Wii Remote + Nunchuck in succession. It was way too simple and you couldn't even get real combos going, you were lucky to get more than a 10-hit combo. And overall, he felt weird to control, the Dash in particular was really slippery, and his platforming was way slower paced. The only things I like over the HD version here are the Gaia Temple puzzles (which were a really neat idea and were the best thing involving the Werehog in the game), and the fact that despite the levels being more boring in general, I like how they split the night levels up in the Wii version. Not because I think the HD ones are too long, but because they used it to create locationa variety even within each country. For example, one of the Holoska levels is in the open tundra. Another is in an ice temple. That kind of thing.

HD version is really fun though, IMO. You have a lot of combos, platforming is way more fast paced as is the fighting, and there are cool little tricks you can learn to speed run them, just like with regular Sonic. The levels manage to keep up a lot of variety too. For example, the beginning section of Spagonia feels a lot like a classic beat-em-up, with you fighting enemies on the streets, and then breaking down doors to find secrets or to stock up on Rings or Gaia Force. But then by the end of it, you are making a climb up a clock tower.

The HD version isn't without it's problems either, though. The Werehog lacks a drop shadow in some sections due to the realistic lighting of the Hedgehog Engine. It does have some bad frame-rate drops (though to be fair, so do the day stages and even some hub worlds). And there are few sections in some levels that felt like they needed more polish. Other than that though, I have no problems with the Werehog and find him a lot of fun to play as.

I can understand if people don't like him, I just wish people wouldn't act like it's bad for what it's trying to be, because it really isn't. I found him more engaging than most God of War games.

So yeah, as far as your question goes, I really didn't get tired of him, not in the HD version anyway.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

But we are already getting a new mobile game and a promotional console game based on the show. Isn't that enough? :troll:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shame that DC thinks the public is too dumb to comprehend alternate continuities. That's why they had to kill off the Suicide Squad in Arrow and why Supergirl didn't have Superman himself on screen, as least as Superman, until Season 2.

It was the same reason the DCAU Justice League cartoon had to drop Aquaman and all Batman characters except for Bats himself.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wouldn't the comics they had for a while and the redesigned cartoon be more indication of that than anything another company is doing?

Granted, considering the designs of the cartoon it may not be the revival anyone wants, but that's the main sign. What's SEGA's doing has squat to do with Capcom's direction, though.
True. Only the bitter Mega Man fans bought it up because of the virtue that The Mighty Number 9 sucked and they are jealous of Sonic getting a nostalgic new game like this. It's kind of silly IMO.

They should be rather thankful that we are at least getting a new game, even if it's one based on an upcoming show. Hopefully it has a less troubled production and not be the new Rise of Lyric.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
DC have been ****ing Manhunter over for a while.
GL being absent is a shame too (though I can understand why even if it's a silly reason given we got a new Spider-Man just two years after ASM2 and his film is next year whilst GL waits until like 2020)
It sucks, too, since Martian Manhunter is such a neat character. I saw his clip of him in Supergirl (apparently he's in that show? I haven't watched it) and he seemed awesome, and it showed he can translate well to an onscreen appearance.

Really liking how Justice League is looking! Glad they're straying from BvS's tone. And hey, actual color! At this point I'm just hoping they do Aquaman justice (no pun intended). He's my favorite of the League and I want him done right. :p

Also Wonder Woman is looking fantastic. Gadot was easily the best part of BvS, and her solo film looks neat. Plus you don't see too many films about WWI.

I'm glad it's looking like the DCEU is turning around for the better.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wonder if the special stage ring is like this for the demo, or if maybe there is more to them in this game.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
After the MN9 fiasco this just reads as a longer way of saying "It's better than nothing."
But the real question is, will the show make us cry harder than an anime fan on prom night?

I know that Man of Action did do Ben 10, which isn't saying much with the plotholes that series has gotten.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
But the real question is, will the show make us cry harder than an anime fan on prom night?

I know that Man of Action did do Ben 10, which isn't saying much with the plotholes that series has gotten.
But I though you hated prom? :troll:

Ignoring the mistake that was the latter Ben 10 series, they did do a decent job with Generator Rex. I'd highly recommend it too if you liked the "good" parts of Ben 10.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
True. Only the bitter Mega Man fans bought it up because of the virtue that The Mighty Number 9 sucked and they are jealous of Sonic getting a nostalgic new game like this. It's kind of silly IMO.

They should be rather thankful that we are at least getting a new game, even if it's one based on an upcoming show. Hopefully it has a less troubled production and not be the new Rise of Lyric.
I tend to make it a rule of thumb to avoid alternate media adaptions, so I doubt I'd pick up the new one.

If there's one thing to definitely be thankful for from it, though, it's that maybe people can finally drop the "Mega Man is dead" drama that's been going on for half a decade.

I think I saw someone on NeoGaf say that they saw a video that said that Capcom decided to hold off on making a new Mega Man until after they saw how Mighty Number 9 went down, which could easily not be true, but I don't know. The TV show was in the works before MN9 came out, though, so if that did somehow end up being true then maybe there's a slim chance the new game wouldn't be based off the show since there wouldn't have been a tie in from the get-go. Maybe.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As for the Werehog, I did enjoy him a lot in the 360 version. I haven't played as him in the Wii version yet. As for the day stages, I got sick of 'em fast. I just didn't feel like I was in control all that much. But I'm bad at, and don't enjoy, reaction-based gameplay all that much(this is why the Tails stages annoyed me). That said, while I didn't enjoy Unleashed all that much, it still was a great game on its own merits. The story was amazing, the music is great, and I love the hub worlds too.

I can't wait to try the Wii version. To be fair, I bought it just so I can beat the game, as I can't beat the Tails stages. I did enjoy the Werehog more than the Day Stages, but eh.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As for the Werehog, I did enjoy him a lot in the 360 version. I haven't played as him in the Wii version yet. As for the day stages, I got sick of 'em fast. I just didn't feel like I was in control all that much. But I'm bad at, and don't enjoy, reaction-based gameplay all that much(this is why the Tails stages annoyed me). That said, while I didn't enjoy Unleashed all that much, it still was a great game on its own merits. The story was amazing, the music is great, and I love the hub worlds too.

I can't wait to try the Wii version. To be fair, I bought it just so I can beat the game, as I can't beat the Tails stages. I did enjoy the Werehog more than the Day Stages, but eh.
That's interesting, most people like the Day stages in Unleashed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom