• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Got my copy of Miracle of Arumana in the mail today. It's one of the few Konami games to have never been ported to a different system (bar pirates) and is exclusive to the Famicom Disk System. I must say it has a really good OST:

I also got a copy of Adventure Island 4 today as well. :grin:

The tier list is currently being worked on and I can safely say it will be radically different than the first one. Mario is definitely a Top 5 character IMO at least, not that I'm sure the final result will reflect that.
I would personally enjoy it if he were top 5 lol. I've mained Mario since I bought Smash 4. However, on my personal tier list I have him in 6th place, between Rosalina in 5th and ZSS in 7th. However, he's obviously really close to my personal top 5, definitely. Top tier is tricky for me to order aside from Diddy and Sheik being top 2.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Diamond and Pearl were the games that got me back in to Pokemon ironically. I was a fan of Pokemon in the Red/Blue and Gold/Silver days back in 1999-2005 but Ruby/Sapphire was a turn off to me for some reason and I lost my interest in Pokemon for like 3 years until I got Diamond in 2008.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Pokemon D/P feels like Gamefreak were just playing around while they took B/W more seriously.

I could say the same about X/Y in relation to S/M, so far anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Diamond/Pearl was the best Pokémon game for having a side game that was nothing like Pokémon, and yet so much better than it in every way.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were all pretty fun. :4lucario:

I enjoyed them.

D

Deleted member

DP felt like GF wanted to do something different from the previous games and ****ed up
Like new Pokemon not avaible before the E4, Defog, a labyrinthic region, Defog, WHY IS THIS MAP SO CONFUSING, Defog, unpolished graphics and characters that makes me appreciate Shauna. And did I mention Defog?
Platinum solved only one of these problems, unfortunately

Chrono.

DP felt like GF wanted to do something different from the previous games and ****ed up
Like new Pokemon not avaible before the E4, Defog, a labyrinthic region, Defog, WHY IS THIS MAP SO CONFUSING, Defog, unpolished graphics and characters that makes me appreciate Shauna. And did I mention Defog?
Platinum solved only one of these problems, unfortunately
Yeah HMs really hit peak awful in DP.

Must be why they were barely there in BW.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
We Team Valor Now!:146:

Managed to catch a bunch of interesting mons including Ghastly, Psyduck, and Tentacool...

After catching hordes of rattatas, pidgeys and weedles I managed to get a CP 313 Raticate, as well as a CP 261 Pidgeotto (which I can evolve, but I'm holding off for now), and a CP 224 Beedrill...additionally I caught another Raticate with CP 254 and a Venonat with CP 180...

Also did a bunch of driving around my city (surprisingly managed to hatch 3 eggs while doing this, thought it doesn't count over a certain speed) and managed to scout out a lot of the Pokestops and Gyms in my city...

One thing that's bothering me is how the footsteps on the nearby pokemon table never change from three...despite me running into Pokemon a lot...I ended up walking quite a few kilometers but yet nothing changes from three...
Also I feel like the Incenses just don't work for some reason...

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Why is Diddy Kong still at the top?

=.=
bcus diddy has been busted from day 1, nerfs just made him not metaknight

plus his meta development got inflated from the early hoohah craze, same for prepatch sheik

He is also just inconsistent in general. Like, he's not as finely trained as other big players in the scene, on a fundamental level.
abuz hasn't placed outside of the top 8 in any tournament he's entered since ktar 16 in february (where he played release week ayonetta)

I have no idea where you get this idea that dabuz is "inconsistent", he's actually one of the most consistent top players in that respect.

Wait...
Marth? Why Marth. I don't think I've seen him at all in tournaments.
Scratch that. Almost everything about this tierlist is wrong.
top tier neutral, extremely consistent overall, great results at all levels of play

D

Deleted member

Did someone mention the Sinnoh games? :4lucario:
I've actually been playing through Platinum for the second time recently. For me, it's the best Pokemon game

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Diamond and Pearl were by no means awful. Yeah, Platinum was better in virtually every regard (but one, it should be since it's a remake, and two, I honestly think Platinum is one of the best Pokémon games period) but Diamond and Pearl were great as they were.

Yeah, Defog sucked, but the same could be said for Flash back in Kanto, as both were useless one-route-only HMs. And yeah, the new evolutions at least should have been available pre-National Dex, but that really only factored in with the lack of Fire types.

But dammit, it did so many things RIGHT. For one, I'd never call the games that introduced the godsend that was the physical/special split "trash." That alone brought so much to the game. That, and it actually had some interesting characters.

For one, Galactic was a nice departure from previous evil teams. Rocket was your general mafia-type organized crime syndicate, while Magma and Aqua were ecoterrorist groups. Cyrus was a stoic monster with a god complex. The guy wanted to, essentially, become God. Definitely a nice change of pace. And they actually have minor successes. The part where you're with Barry, Rowan, and Dawn/Lucas in the Canalave Library and Galactic sets off a BOMB that could be heard from the other side of the region? Amazing.

That, and despite what the EO weeb says (:p) Barry was such a fun rival. And dammit even his theme was great, and his post-game team was actually challenging. AND it was the first game where gym leaders really had big roles in their communities, one of my favorite aspects that XY sadly butchered (seriously, I loved XY, but that's a serious let down). And the varied environments in the region were fantastic. Maybe because it reminds me of where I live, but Sinnoh is my favorite region as far as geography is concerned.

So yeah, IMO there's no way Diamond and Pearl can be considered "trash." If you didn't like them that's all well and good, but I feel that you can say objectively that they weren't, in fact, trash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My only annoyance with D/P was how slow the battles were. Also, to be fair, Defog was more useless than Flash. Flash at least lowered the enemy's ability to hit... albeit that rarely seemed like it matters, since the CPU's cheat.

That said, I didn't like many of the new evolutions in Gen IV. Many seemed meh in design. But yeah, they were a great trio of games though. I loved the Physical/Special split. Way more balanced.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
bcus diddy has been busted from day 1, nerfs just made him not metaknight

plus his meta development got inflated from the early hoohah craze, same for prepatch sheik

abuz hasn't placed outside of the top 8 in any tournament he's entered since ktar 16 in february (where he played release week ayonetta)

I have no idea where you get this idea that dabuz is "inconsistent", he's actually one of the most consistent top players in that respect.

top tier neutral, extremely consistent overall, great results at all levels of play
Inconsistent as in his actual play. His results are consistent but that is partly due to the opponents he faces being repeated a lot. And he is consistently #NeverFirst (his words, not mine).

He makes silly mistakes all of the time out of nowhere and explicitly goes against using his character to their full potential. And then he goes and blames the character rather than improving.

It's why he very rarely places first.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
DP to me seemed really rough around the edges and they definitely had a good number of flaws to them as a result. For instance, the slow speed of the game was definitely a hindrance and made playing through the region a drag, the Pokedex was terrible with very limited type distribution (the Fire type issue is the most infamous, but there were other bad cases like Electric and Ice, which were just as bad.), shoving off multiple new Pokémon into the post-game was a poor decision also didn't help that case, and the HMs were at their worst with Defog being one of the most useless HMs in the franchise. Platinum thankfully addressed most of these issues, and honestly it went even farther then other third versions have gone in that regard aside from maybe B2W2, which were sequels.

Gameplay wise, it IS as long as one game, I don't agree with the three route split though(especially since it's literally impossible to understand the badly written story with only one game and the one you need the most is DLC no matter what game you buy)
Phoenix Mode is optional and doesn't affect the other difficulties in any way

I don't know what this complaint is supposed to be tbh
What annoys me the most about Revelation is that not only is it locked behind a paywall, but key details to it are also locked behind the Hidden Truths DLC as you don't learn anything about the final boss and other background information unless you get it. So essentially, to get the full story, you have to buy both games, the route locked behind a paywall, and the supplementary DLC that addresses the things Revelation didn't so much as gloss over, and that's not getting into Heir of Fates, which seems to address its own share of loose threads across six different DLC maps.

Fates had a very unhealthy relationship with DLC.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I'm sorry what?D&P are the worst pokemon games(gen 1 aside) in my opinion. Its slow,clunky, grind heavy, and a overall chore to playthrough.Easily my least favorite gen to go back too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm sorry what?D&P are the worst pokemon games(gen 1 aside) in my opinion. Its slow,clunky, grind heavy, and a overall chore to playthrough.Easily my least favorite gen to go back too.
On the other hand, while those problems existed, they were worse in other games. I.e., Gen I being the clunkiest, Gen II being the single most grind heavy, the surfing speed in RS being the single most tediously-paced part of the franchise that Emerald thankfully fixed.

Also I don't think DP was grind heavy at all in the first place. My team always ended up on par with everything or even overleveled without needing to grind.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wait...

DP was grind heavy?

Am I just magically better at Pokemon or something?

DP was one of the easier ones.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
A Generation 4 discussion?

Generation 4 will always have a special place in my heart. When looking at its overall Pokemon, Sinnoh has my favorite Pokemon designs out of all the regions we had thus far, some of which are even my favorite Pokemon to this day (like Shaymin, Gallade, Luxray, Roserade, the Piplup line, Dusknoir, Darkrai, the Creation Trio, the Lake Guardians, I could go on and on).

Diamond and Pearl had some pretty big issues though, namely the slow battle speed and the fact some new Pokemon couldn't be caught until after you beat the game (the first time I learned that Gallade couldn't be caught until the post game made me pretty mad because I wanted one during my adventure). Then, you have issues such as the useless Defog HM, the really slow surfing speed, and then limited types because of how the main story Pokedex was handled. When Flint's team doesn't comprise of mostly Fire-types and only half of Volkner's team consist of Electric-types, you know there's a problem.

Thankfully, Platinum fixed much of these issues: better battle speed, surfing speed being vastly improved, expanding the Sinnoh dex to rightfully include those extra batch of new evolutions, and improving the type distribution in the Pokedex so that Gym Leaders/Elite Four members were using a full-team of their respective types.

But there are many other things I liked about generation 4. Personally, it has one of the most enjoyable postgames compared to the others (B2/W2 still tops it out though). The Underground was incredibly fun to use, to the point that shard and stone collecting was a blast to do; creating secret bases also made it fun, and if they brought back the Underground for the remakes, I can only imagine what a blast it would be if it could be used online. Even the Wifi Club was an enjoyable feature, namely for getting to play mini-games with people from around the world. The Battle Frontier was about as enjoyable as it was Emerald too. I also liked Team Galactic for reasons that Opossum already started. Oh yeah, did I mention it had a memorable soundtrack? Cynthia's battle theme, Cyrus's battle theme, Route 210 theme, Route 209 theme, Route 225 theme, the Mt. Coronet theme, Dialga/Palkia's theme, and Giratina's theme are among my favorite tracks that I can name off the top of my head. Oh yeah, and let's not forget we finally got the physical/special split and online play (though it was a bit limited at that time).

I even watched Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of Platinum recently, and seeing the whole game again reaffirmed why Platinum is one of my favorite games of all time. You could say generation 4 is where my fondest Pokemon memories can be found.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really don't know if DP was really that grind heavy, though I'm currently grinding my entire team up to level 60 at victory road.
Is Platinum any different in that regard?
Nothing tops GSC though in terms of being grind heavy though. I didn't even beat this game because I didn't want to grind my team all the way to level 80, and my team wasn't even full when I was in the grassy area of Mt Silver, since Larvitar isn't catchable until then.

Chrono.

DP didn't feel grind heavy.

...Platinum sure did though.
I really don't know if DP was really that grind heavy, though I'm currently grinding my entire team up to level 60 at victory road.
Is Platinum any different in that regard?
Nothing tops GSC though in terms of being grind heavy though. I didn't even beat this game because I didn't want to grind my team all the way to level 80, and my team wasn't even full when I was in the grassy area of Mt Silver, since Larvitar isn't catchable until then.
The fact that they didn't try to fix this in HGSS is the biggest blemish on an otherwise amazing remake.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Probably not. Gen 4 is a blur to me and that's why I should play those games again.
That brings up a good question.

People who dislike Gen IV.

How long ago have you played it?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
That brings up a good question.

People who dislike Gen IV.

How long ago have you played it?
Actually im playing all the pokemon games in preparation for Sun and Moon.I finished fire red,i'm at the 3rd gym in heart gold,havent started hoenn, only the second badge in Sinnoh, havent started Unova. And im at the 7th badge in Kalos.And personally of out of the ones im playing.Sinnoh just drags and its just boring to playthrough. Hench why i started playing kalos and johto just so i an switch between the boredom.It just feels like you have to do so much just to make progress in D/P/P. Maybe it doesnt help that sinnoh is my least favorite region but the pokemon aside(Lucario,luxray,infernape,garchompe,etc) i cant think of many postives from those games

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
One year? In all honestly, I would have made it permanent, because that doesn't really fix the problem.
That's a slap on the wrist.

Not that it matters anyway, I doubt he'll show his face again.

He better not.
Its been said if another incident happens again where he does the same thing he'll get a lifetime ban.

Sky also recently said on twitter he has proof of someone's story being inconsistent:

And after the whole thing with SmashCapps and MacD, I feel inclined to believe he is being objective.

Chrono.

So, Gravity Rush is getting an anime, supposedly tying into the upcoming sequel.

I've no idea how GravRush is but I hear good things.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Yeah what happened with Capps?
If there was something I'm not aware of it. Hope it's nothing too terrible.

Chrono.

Its been said if another incident happens again where he does the same thing he'll get a lifetime ban.

Sky also recently said on twitter he has proof of someone's story being inconsistent:

And after the whole thing with SmashCapps and MacD, I feel inclined to believe he is being objective.
If he has proof of something then he should definitely bring it to light, somehow.

Silence won't really help anyone.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I'm prepared to get all of the posts about a savior coming back I'm here for a friend. Not any of you.
Wait.

I know her.

What happened with her?
She's doing fine.
Yeah what happened with Capps?
If there was something I'm not aware of it. Hope it's nothing too terrible.
She stepped down as an admin and is running a Fur-Esports team. She only wants to post in the furry group we have here. She is very busy nowadays.

Also @Skyward is cool af. Appericiate him.

D

Deleted member

I just came across a completely random Shiny Rhydon in victory road

Damnit I'm lucky with Shinies this month, I get them without even hunting them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom