• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
2 and a half hours until some new Pokemon Sun/Moon info.

ElectroLightning

Banned via Warnings
NNID
kultava
A Generation 4 discussion?

Generation 4 will always have a special place in my heart. When looking at its overall Pokemon, Sinnoh has my favorite Pokemon designs out of all the regions we had thus far, some of which are even my favorite Pokemon to this day (like Shaymin, Gallade, Luxray, Roserade, the Piplup line, Dusknoir, Darkrai, the Creation Trio, the Lake Guardians, I could go on and on).

Diamond and Pearl had some pretty big issues though, namely the slow battle speed and the fact some new Pokemon couldn't be caught until after you beat the game (the first time I learned that Gallade couldn't be caught until the post game made me pretty mad because I wanted one during my adventure). Then, you have issues such as the useless Defog HM, the really slow surfing speed, and then limited types because of how the main story Pokedex was handled. When Flint's team doesn't comprise of mostly Fire-types and only half of Volkner's team consist of Electric-types, you know there's a problem.

Thankfully, Platinum fixed much of these issues: better battle speed, surfing speed being vastly improved, expanding the Sinnoh dex to rightfully include those extra batch of new evolutions, and improving the type distribution in the Pokedex so that Gym Leaders/Elite Four members were using a full-team of their respective types.

But there are many other things I liked about generation 4. Personally, it has one of the most enjoyable postgames compared to the others (B2/W2 still tops it out though). The Underground was incredibly fun to use, to the point that shard and stone collecting was a blast to do; creating secret bases also made it fun, and if they brought back the Underground for the remakes, I can only imagine what a blast it would be if it could be used online. Even the Wifi Club was an enjoyable feature, namely for getting to play mini-games with people from around the world. The Battle Frontier was about as enjoyable as it was Emerald too. I also liked Team Galactic for reasons that Opossum already started. Oh yeah, did I mention it had a memorable soundtrack? Cynthia's battle theme, Cyrus's battle theme, Route 210 theme, Route 209 theme, Route 225 theme, the Mt. Coronet theme, Dialga/Palkia's theme, and Giratina's theme are among my favorite tracks that I can name off the top of my head. Oh yeah, and let's not forget we finally got the physical/special split and online play (though it was a bit limited at that time).

I even watched Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of Platinum recently, and seeing the whole game again reaffirmed why Platinum is one of my favorite games of all time. You could say generation 4 is where my fondest Pokemon memories can be found.
What was B2/W2 post game?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For my money the worst Post game is X&Y's. Yes, even more than Gen 1. You get no area of super strong Pokemon to train in, the 3rd legendary itself was a disapointment and all dev time that could have expanded the world was instead wasted on a some story that... you know the kind of story your friend works on real hard and they think it's so deep and meaningful but it's really just meh but you can't bring yourself to say it? Like that. Omega Ruby/Alpha Saphire fixed that by having the post game story worthwhile from a world building and pokemon get perspective and all the hidden legendaries to find.

Black/White (1&2), Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and especially Gold/Silver and super especially Heart Gold/Soul Silver ranked among the best in terns of having entirlely new areas to explore. Honourable mention to Fire Red Leaf Green for effort but the Sevvi's Pokemon were more interesting than the islands proper.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What was B2/W2 post game?
You meet N again, fight him, catch Reshiram/Zekrom, fight Cynthia, catch some legendaries (Latias/Latios and Cresselia are the ones that I remember), and you go find treasure underwater.
I might've forgot a few things though.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
We Team Valor Now!:146:

Managed to catch a bunch of interesting mons including Ghastly, Psyduck, and Tentacool...

After catching hordes of rattatas, pidgeys and weedles I managed to get a CP 313 Raticate, as well as a CP 261 Pidgeotto (which I can evolve, but I'm holding off for now), and a CP 224 Beedrill...additionally I caught another Raticate with CP 254 and a Venonat with CP 180...

Also did a bunch of driving around my city (surprisingly managed to hatch 3 eggs while doing this, thought it doesn't count over a certain speed) and managed to scout out a lot of the Pokestops and Gyms in my city...

One thing that's bothering me is how the footsteps on the nearby pokemon table never change from three...despite me running into Pokemon a lot...I ended up walking quite a few kilometers but yet nothing changes from three...
Also I feel like the Incenses just don't work for some reason...
I have the same issue as well, it's so annoying! Incense does work tho. It doesn't attract anything from the nearby list just random ones. Moving gets you more random ones.

And I have now decided to stop refusing catching pidgeys rattataz drowzees and the other bird one.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I never understood the whole "Gen 4's battles are so slow" complaint. Bar a few animations for some moves, the pace was just fine. Do people really care about those few moves or something?

:094:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I never understood the whole "Gen 4's battles are so slow" complaint. Bar a few animations for some moves, the pace was just fine. Do people really care about those few moves or something?

:094:
Animations in general were slower and the "animations" for a pokemon being released was at an all time high.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I've never found D/P to be that slow, whether it be animations for gameplay tbh.

I managed to beat the game start to finish within 3 days, twice. honestly, Its weird seeing all the complaints since I don't find most of the problems people have with D/P to be applicable to me.

New trailer boyz
That Koala is powerful af tho.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So now we've got a Pokemon who's ability is replicating the frustration of catching Abra.

D

Deleted member

These new Pokemon look pretty damn weird... None of them really clicked on me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I like the Horse with Dreadlocks. And of course there'd be a Floral Wreath Pokemon.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Totally gonna call my Wimpod "Wim-Lex"
or "Wimpala"
Or "Wimpotent"
Or "Wim"

BEWEAR FOR THE PEDOBEAR

Klefki's sister looks decent, maybe we can get a Macaroni-Necklace-Pokémon next gen called Macaround.

The rest looks decent I guess.
Horse-Poké is nice, I'd call him Rastafarneigh
Living plum is weird, but I take it

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
The tier list is currently being worked on and I can safely say it will be radically different than the first one. Mario is definitely a Top 5 character IMO at least, not that I'm sure the final result will reflect that.
btw do you know the approximate release date for this second official Smash 4 tier list?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Did a rough count and factoring in known but unrevealed evolutions, we've got about 32 Pokemon so far. (Evolutions being the starters and Pikpek having two each).

Nearly half way to the total of Gen 6.

What mons do you think will have evolutions. Yungoose seems to as that broadcast at E3 deliberately cut off it's screen that would have shown it's evos.

D

Deleted member

Did a rough count and factoring in known but unrevealed evolutions, we've got about 32 Pokemon so far. (Evolutions being the starters and Pikpek having two each).

What mons do you think will have evolutions. Yungoose seems to as that broadcast at E3 deliberately cut off it's screen that would have shown it's evos.
Don't forget about Yungoos (which has one) and Rockruff (The Sun and Moon website mentioned that evolves, we don't how many times though) which brings us to 34 or 35.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Tone fair I haven't touched Gen 4 in 4 years but the only way I could ever replay it was if it was HGSS.

Platinum isn't hard to go back to but it feels like a chore when playing through it.

Emerald just feels so fast, quick and the HMs aren't total ass and the selection of Pokemon isn't hindered a lot at all.

Plus I love Gen 3's music so much trumpets and all.

D

Deleted member

Diamond and Pearl were by no means awful. Yeah, Platinum was better in virtually every regard (but one, it should be since it's a remake, and two, I honestly think Platinum is one of the best Pokémon games period) but Diamond and Pearl were great as they were.

Yeah, Defog sucked, but the same could be said for Flash back in Kanto, as both were useless one-route-only HMs. And yeah, the new evolutions at least should have been available pre-National Dex, but that really only factored in with the lack of Fire types.

But dammit, it did so many things RIGHT. For one, I'd never call the games that introduced the godsend that was the physical/special split "trash." That alone brought so much to the game. That, and it actually had some interesting characters.

For one, Galactic was a nice departure from previous evil teams. Rocket was your general mafia-type organized crime syndicate, while Magma and Aqua were ecoterrorist groups. Cyrus was a stoic monster with a god complex. The guy wanted to, essentially, become God. Definitely a nice change of pace. And they actually have minor successes. The part where you're with Barry, Rowan, and Dawn/Lucas in the Canalave Library and Galactic sets off a BOMB that could be heard from the other side of the region? Amazing.

That, and despite what the EO weeb says (:p) Barry was such a fun rival. And dammit even his theme was great, and his post-game team was actually challenging. AND it was the first game where gym leaders really had big roles in their communities, one of my favorite aspects that XY sadly butchered (seriously, I loved XY, but that's a serious let down). And the varied environments in the region were fantastic. Maybe because it reminds me of where I live, but Sinnoh is my favorite region as far as geography is concerned.

So yeah, IMO there's no way Diamond and Pearl can be considered "trash." If you didn't like them that's all well and good, but I feel that you can say objectively that they weren't, in fact, trash.
This is a little late but I just want to know whatever made you think Platinum is a remake
New trailer boyz
Based on the english information:
I'm indifferent on most of the new ones, they don't stand out too much but I guess I'll warm up to them once I'm forced to use one
Mudsdale tho, we finally got a decent horse Pokemon, and Stamina seems to boost its Defense so it's probably gonna be bulky, really hope it isn't rare
Mimikyu, uh, that's its name? Well, it looks great in battle and WHAT THE **** ITS ABILITY IS AN AUTO SUBSTITUTE IS THIS THE OU TRAIN I HEAR?
http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/max-out-your-pokemon-with-hyper-training/

Hyper Training allows you to increase a Pokemon's IV's when they reach Lvl. 100.

How about that.
Super Training already allowed you to do that though

D

Deleted member

My team so far:
Whatever starter I choose
Rockruff
Vikavolt

I need to see more Pokemon until I decide on my final team.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Planned team:
None because real man(or woman) play Nuzlockes
Though I'm definitely putting a "only Gen 7 Pokemon allowed" clause so I can try as many of the new ones

Most of the small Pokemon we've seen probably have at least one, the only exception is Mimikyu which I don't think will have one
My Team so far:

Rowlet
Bruxish
Pikipek
Wimpod
Confey (Triage ability is pretty bonkers)
Salandite

I'm not sure on Bruxish and Salandite yet
What does Triage do after all?
Super Training only allowed you raise EV's.

This is the first time you can manipulate IV's.
Wait, IVs? **** me, those competitive players have probably gone insane now that they don't really need to do hours of breeding for that

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not to mention that there's three more guardian Pokemon which would bring the number from 34/35 to 37/38.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Planned team:
None because real man(or woman) play Nuzlockes
Though I'm definitely putting a "only Gen 7 Pokemon allowed" clause so I can try as many of the new ones

Most of the small Pokemon we've seen probably have at least one, the only exception is Mimikyu which I don't think will have one

What does Triage do after all?

Wait, IVs? **** me, those competitive players have probably gone insane now that they don't really need to do hours of breeding for that
Comfey's restorative moves get the highest priority through Triage.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I really need Wimpod to evolve into a Giant Isopod!!

And Mimikyu's just awesome!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
btw do you know the approximate release date for this second official Smash 4 tier list?
I do but I don't think I'm allowed to disclose that info just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom