• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, this whole NES Classic Edition is extremely surprising to come from Nintendo. Nintendo almost never releases compilation games (even retro ones) and would rather want you to buy each game individually (even earlier than Virtual Console with the Classic NES Series & NES e-Reader both for Game Boy Advance).

Not only is that, they actually took the effort to include big third party titles too (13 games from SEVEN companies). If it was 100% Nintendo published games, I probably wouldn't get this.

I hope Nintendo does more of this in the future.
I think it's 6 companies, not 7 companies.

Arc Systems Works (owns Technos Japan)
  • Double Dragon II

Bandai Namco
  • Galaga
  • Pac-Man

Capcom
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins
  • Mega Man 2

Koei Tecmo
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Tecmo Bowl

Konami (owns Hudson Soft)
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II
  • Gradius
  • Super C

Square Enix (owns Taito)
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Final Fantasy
Nintendo would be the 7th company. :p

Still, this is pretty impressive for a console with only 30 built-in games. This is a solid list of third-party NES games along with Nintendo's own NES games.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
True, but to be fair, the anime isn't as big to people. Granted I think a reboot would make a lot more sense though. As they might still get complaints on As being the protag, thus people who returned would lose interest. Won't be to long till we see what happens though.
I can tell you this much: Outside the places where Nintendo has an official presence, the animé is the only part of the franchise that people know about.

The animé has a much, much bigger reach than the games can ever hope to have.

Last edited:
And my biggest and most unrealistic hope would be if they replaced the anime with an actual anime designed like origins, based on the red blue and yellow manga. It would be like an actual anime with what happens in the manga. It be something I'd love to see.
Speaking of Origins, I wonder were many disappointed when they first saw it? I mean, there seemed to be a lot of hype when it was announced, but they skipped way too many parts that could've been great to see.

They started re-releasing it back in 2010 and they're actually caught up now bar Volume 52 and the mini XY/ORAS volumes. There's a lot of censoring sadly, but it doesn't detract from much.
They didn't start releasing it here until 2014, and initially promised to release first seven volumes (with more possibly coming later), and that they would release them monthly.

Did they keep their promise? No... only first two were released in monthly basis, next three were released intermittently, and last two were never released.

Oh, also, of the post-E3 Pokémon reveals, Drampa is by far my favorite. What have you guys thought of the newer post-Grubbin reveals?
I've liked most of them, especially Vikavolt and Salandit. I'm not a fan of Togedemaru and two recently revealed Pokemon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The problem with the zapper is, it doesn't work with anything other than CRT screens.

They'll have to rewrite a part of the code to use the Wiimote's pointing ability, but that again would require the NES mini to have an IR scanner. It's a bit complicated. Not impossible, but it would definitely push up the price.
Yeah, I am sure Nintendo can figure out a way to make the Zapper work on modern TVs if they want to (key word: want) include Zapper games in future NES consoles.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Just a note that the newest episodes titles' confirm that the league won't be interrupted. The second title specifically says "Kalos League Victory!" That means either Ash or Ailan will win and nothing will screw things over.
Also ew Adventures.

Oh, also, of the post-E3 Pokémon reveals, Drampa is by far my favorite. What have you guys thought of the newer post-Grubbin reveals?
Vikavolt and Salandit were gifts from the heavens. Mimikkyu and Charjabug are pretty cool as well. I'd say the same for Drampa, but the typing kills any of my interest in it. The rest I don't care for that much, if at all.

:094:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Speaking of Origins, I wonder were many disappointed when they first saw it? I mean, there seemed to be a lot of hype when it was announced, but they skipped way too many parts that could've been great to see.

They didn't start releasing it here until 2014, and initially promised to release first seven volumes (with more possibly coming later), and that they would release them monthly.

Did they keep their promise? No... only first two were released in monthly basis, next three were released intermittently, and last two were never released.

I've liked most of them, especially Vikavolt and Salandit. I'm not a fan of Togedemaru and two recently revealed Pokemon.
A lot of people like it, with what you said being a minor complaint. If they did as a mini series it would definitely work well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just a note that the newest episodes titles' confirm that the league won't be interrupted. The second title specifically says "Kalos League Victory!" That means either Ash or Ailan will win and nothing will screw things over.
Also ew Adventures.
That hurt my eyes reading that.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I can tell you this much: Outside the places where Nintendo has an official presence, the animé is the only part of the franchise that people know about.

The animé has a much, much bigger reach than the games can ever hope to have.
Fun fact: anime adaptations are usually done for promotional reasons, as a way to expand an IP to a wider audience.

That's why a lot of anime are based on manga, light novels (very common) or video games (not as often), with original productions being less common in comparison.

(Also, why the ´ in the "e" in anime, when romaji doesn't need accents, except for the ¯ to represent long vowels? アニメ is easily rendered as just "anime" and doesn't have any long vowel. Of course, I'm just being nitpicky.)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wasn't disappointed by Pokémon Origins because I watched it knowing it was only 4 episodes.

Obviously that means they had to skip over a lot but what was there was very good in my opinion.

Johnny Yong Brock is still amazing.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well true. Awful was too strong of a word, but I do think the quality dwindles somewhat.

BW was the last one I read and I didn't really like it at all and kinda fell out of the series after that.
I haven't read BW in full but I do know the general plot so I both agree and disagree. Ironically B2W2 is looking to be more interesting than BW. Lacktwo being a James Bond detective who humorously outranks Looker. Hitetwo being a former Team Plasma member and N follower. Colress, based on hints, is looking to be a humorous villain similar to Whis from DB Super.

Unfortunately the manga is probably getting rushed due to Game Freak increasing release dates for main entry titles and that the manga is pretty much drawn by a single mangakan. It's been 4 years since B2W2 and there's only been 1 volume so far and yet 6+ volumes for XY & ~3 for ORAS.

The best case scenario is 53 comes out before the end of the year, ORAS is finished, and XY is 1-2 chapters from completion going into 2017.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Another thing that the Adventures manga does better than the Anime is it's plot development. Characters don't stay the same like they do in the anime. Natural progression occurs and the characters actually get older. Not to mention the main characters all have different goals that aren't always becoming league champion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Fun fact: anime adaptations are usually done for promotional reasons, as a way to expand an IP to a wider audience.

That's why a lot of anime are based on manga, light novels (very common) or video games (not as often), with original productions being less common in comparison.

(Also, why the ´ in the "e" in anime, when romaji doesn't need accents, except for the ¯ to represent long vowels? アニメ is easily rendered as just "anime" and doesn't have any long vowel. Of course, I'm just being nitpicky.)
Ahh, I see...

Well, I am glad they make anime based on manga. I prefer to spend my money on video games and not on manga. I like to watch Sailor Moon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, and Inuyasha.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Pokémon Adventures is better than the anime IMO for 3 reasons:
- More faithful to the games (changing protagonists and closer plot, though also taking some creative liberties)
- Better characters (at the very least, they're more competent than Ash and aren't stuck being 10 years old, growing and developing throughout the stories)
- Better art

I would actually read more of it, but I don't own any volumes and scanlations are of questionable quality.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh, that's weird. I though more people would've been bothered by the amount of skipped stuff.
It goes back to what ChikoLad ChikoLad says a few posts above. People knew it would be short and wound of really liking what they did cover, so it had pretty positive feedback even if it didn't show everything from the games.

kylexv

Smash Master
OH ****

The Pokémon Fan magazine has revealed another set of new episode titles, this time for the thirty-seventh & thirty-eighth episodes of Pokémon XY & Z. These episodes are set to air on August 11th, 18th and 25th respectively and include the finals of the Kalos Pokémon League as well as the continuation of the Team Flare arc.
Episode 933: The Finals! Ash VS Alain!!
Episode 934: Kalos League Victory! Ash's Ultimate Match!!
Episode 935: Team Flare Attacks! The Zygarde at the Prism Tower!!

Ash actually wins the league, and then they fight Team Flare!?

This sounds amazing!

I can't wait!
I mean, I don't watch the show anymore, but for those who are and are concerned about spoilers, please put this in a spoiler tag.
Thank you.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
See, until 2011, I used to pronounce anime as a-nime (rhymes with time).

Just like Pokémon is pronounced Po-kay-mon, animé pronounced is ani-may. This is my suggestion so that animé first-timers don't have to get embarrassed later on like me. :p That is a safeguard.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I remember having one or two of the Pokémon Adventures comics when I was a kid. I probably still have them somewhere.

I really liked it and wanted to get more into it, but it was basically a present and they were hard to get like most manga in Ireland. I also didn't really get pocket money when I was younger so I couldn't feasibly keep up with comics even if they were available.

At this point, I find Pokémon too big to get back into in general, and as far as the main games go, they flat out don't interest me anymore. However, I like when they do more experimental things like Pokkén Tournament, Pokémon GO, and Detective Pikachu (CAN WE GET MORE NEWS ON THIS PLEASE???).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There was a problem fetching the tweet

OOOOOOH

(They're talking about Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes BTW)

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ahh, I see...

Well, I am glad they make anime based on manga. I prefer to spend my money on video games and not on manga. I like to watch Sailor Moon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, and Inuyasha.
Manga adaptations are the most common of anime production, followed by light novel adaptations in recent years.

Dragon Ball, Naruto, Attack on Titan, One Piece, Sailor Moon, Bleach, Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tokyo Ghoul, Parasyte, Erased, Hunter X Hunter, Death Note, Boku no Hero Academia, Blue Exorcist, Seraph of the End, Fairy Tail, The Seven Deadly Sins, Kuroko no Basuke, Haikyuu!!, Assassination Classroom, Twin Star Exorcists, Fullmetal Alchemist, Noragami, Bungou Stray Dogs, Ushio to Tora, Soul Eater and so many more, are all based on manga.

(These are a mix of those I've watched and other popular titles within the fandom I've heard about.)

That's why there's a big overlap between anime and manga fans.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Adventures is also home to my favorite Pokemon character of any medium...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
There was a problem fetching the tweet

OOOOOOH

(They're talking about Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes BTW)
Isn't the death of Silicon Knights hurting the chance of that game's revival (I'll admit I love that game so much)?

But I have doubts either way with what Komani is doing now. IIRC, they haven't released any games after MGSV: The Phantom Pain outside of Virtual Console.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Isn't the death of Silicon Knights hurting the chance of that game's revival (I'll admit I love that game to death).

But I have doubts either way with what Komani is doing now. IIRC, they haven't released any games after MGSV: The Phantom Pain outside of Virtual Console.
Yeah but a big enough demand for a remaster of a specific game is something they might act on.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not just Scizor and Empoleon, there was also data found referring to Meowth and Darkrai as well for playable characters. At this point I'm just waiting to see which of the four we're getting first.

Don't play with my heart!

If there's data about Meowth in the game, Meowth is probably an unplayable support character (like Emolga and Eevee) and not a playable fighter. :(

D

Deleted member

I really do like the liberties they take with the Adventures manga
As much as BW's ending was a "read the sequel" one as I said, it certainly wasn't anything near I expected
Black was a fun protagonist, even though having all the characteristics of a typical anime/manga protag, they were used realistically and developed by the end of it. I also really liked his relationship with Musha(Munna)
White was cool too and got a lot more in the character development part
I haven't read BW in full but I do know the general plot so I both agree and disagree. Ironically B2W2 is looking to be more interesting than BW. Lacktwo being a James Bond detective who humorously outranks Looker. Hitetwo being a former Team Plasma member and N follower. Colress, based on hints, is looking to be a humorous villain similar to Whis from DB Super.

Unfortunately the manga is probably getting rushed due to Game Freak increasing release dates for main entry titles and that the manga is pretty much drawn by a single mangakan. It's been 4 years since B2W2 and there's only been 1 volume so far and yet 6+ volumes for XY & ~3 for ORAS.

The best case scenario is 53 comes out before the end of the year, ORAS is finished, and XY is 1-2 chapters from completion going into 2017.
Oh, so B2W2 is still ongoing? I guess that explains it lol
Maybe it'll be released here once it's done

kylexv

Smash Master
- More faithful to the games (changing protagonists and closer plot, though also taking some creative liberties)
- Better characters (at the very least, they're more competent than Ash and aren't stuck being 10 years old, growing and developing throughout the stories)
- Better art

I would actually read more of it, but I don't own any volumes and scanlations are of questionable quality.
I own the complete Kanto and Johto sagas. I enjoyed reading them.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I mean, I don't watch the show anymore, but for those who are and are concerned about spoilers, please put this in a spoiler tag.
Thank you.
Well to be fair:

1) the anime is discussed openly here whenever someone brings it up.

2) The episode titles don't spoil anything as they all tie back to things built up and don't give away outcomes.

3) no one else seems to mind and you don't watch the show, so why bring it up? (Hopefully that doesn't come off as rude).

4) Also if anything major happened in the anime you'd see it anywhere you look when it happens, as no one seems to mind anime spoilers.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well to be fair:

1) the anime is discussed openly here whenever someone brings it up.

2) The episode titles don't spoil anything as they all tie back to things built up and don't give away outcomes.

3) no one else seems to mind and you don't watch the show, so why bring it up? (Hopefully that doesn't come off as rude).

4) Also if anything major happened in the anime you'd see it anywhere you look when it happens, as no one seems to mind anime spoilers.
People these days love to be offended on other people's behalf.

D

Deleted member

Welp, it happened.

Now Metal Gear fans know how we Castlevania fans feel.

The Pachinko Monster has no mercy.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
- Better art

Electric Tale of Pikachu is still the best.

It's literally the anime but with an ending and Ash actually wins.

PokeSpec can get really ****ing stupid to the point where calling it a accurate portrayal would be crazy especially with later arcs where irks literally "EVERYONE IS A ROCKET MEMBER AND NOBODY FIGHTS THE ELITE 4"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom