• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

>Pokémon fans constantly complain about newer Pokémon designs not being creative or charming
>Complain about Pika-clones
>Popplio is revealed
>"HE LOOKS STOOPID, GIVE US SOMETHING COOLER THAT APPEALS MORE TO OUR EDGY ANIME SENSIBILITIES"
>Pokémon that's literally a sheet with what looks like a three year old's drawing of Pikachu is revealed
>"This is a super creative design Game Freak, please do more like this!"
>mfw

Because different tastes. Or something.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I can say that because of Pokémon Go, I'm interested in getting Gen 7.

You did your job well, Pokémon Company/ Nintendo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Because different tastes. Or something.
I don't dislike Spoopachu, I just can't fathom the fact people consider it "creative" and "original", and then diss something like Popplio when it's literally one of the most creative Pokémon in years.

The concept behind Spoopachu is cool, but the design itself absolutely cannot be considered "creative" when it's literally supposed to look like a bad drawing of the franchise's main mascot of 20 years.

It's like if SEGA made "Sanic" an official Sonic character and people called it "creative and original".

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't dislike Spoopachu, I just can't fathom the fact people consider it "creative" and "original", and then diss something like Popplio when it's literally one of the most creative Pokémon in years.

The concept behind Spoopachu is cool, but the design itself absolutely cannot be considered "creative" when it's literally supposed to look like a bad drawing of the franchise's main mascot of 20 years.

It's like if SEGA made "Sanic" an official Sonic character and people called it "creative and original".
In my case, it's because Popplio DOES look cute, but it's got nothing that really makes it stand outm whereas Spoopychu's got a unique typing and art style

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Because people can have different opinions and that's okay?
I mean I'm just saying it's just how people are; we like different things. Not everyone has to simply agree with something.

And that's okay.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I love every design so far. Bruxish is the only one I'm kinda eh on.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In my case, it's because Popplio DOES look cute, but it's got nothing that really makes it stand outm whereas Spoopychu's got a unique typing and art style
It's art style isn't different though. It's just a sheet of paper with squiggles on it. And the typing isn't part of it's visual design, that's a gameplay element (which I already said is unique).

Because people can have different opinions and that's okay?
I mean I'm just saying it's just how people are; we like different things. Not everyone has to simply agree with something.

And that's okay.
Your passive aggressive "wit" doesn't work here because creativity isn't a subjective matter.

If the design of a character is literally based on an existing character and they aren't even trying to hide that fact, you cannot call that more creative than a character with a wholly unique design.

It's fine if you like the former more and want to "main" it more than the Pokémon with a more original design. There are plenty of justifiable reasons to want to do that and they come down to opinion.

But whether or not it's creative and original is not a matter of opinion and you don't call something creative just because you like it. If it worked liked that, I'd be calling the Chinese bootleg Smash RPG a "totally creative and original game that absolutely did not take any design cues from Nintendo's properties".

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh also before I forget:

Serebii said:
Mimikkyu hates sunlight, preferring dark places. It is rumoured that the cloth covering its body is a strategy to avoid the sun. Don't try to remove the cloth it is said that those that do become afflicted with an illness. Mimikkyu's costume is based on Pikachu merch that was popular 20 years ago. It wants to be loved by people like Pikachu is. We'll bring more as it comes
This is the saddest thing. All it wants is our hearts...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's art style isn't different though. It's just a sheet of paper with squiggles on it. And the typing isn't part of it's visual design, that's a gameplay element (which I already said is unique).

Your passive aggressive "wit" doesn't work here because creativity isn't a subjective matter.

If the design of a character is literally based on an existing character and they aren't even trying to hide that fact, you cannot call that more creative than a character with a wholly unique design.

It's fine if you like the former more and want to "main" it more than the Pokémon with a more original design. There are plenty of justifiable reasons to want to do that and they come down to opinion.

But whether or not it's creative and original is not a matter of opinion and you don't call something creative just because you like it. If it worked liked that, I'd be calling the Chinese bootleg Smash RPG a "totally creative and original game that absolutely did not take any design cues from Nintendo's properties".
That's not the kind of thing you'd ever expect from Sugimori. I agree that people have no right to say 'muh not creative' if they like Spoopychu, but I also think the lore of Spoopychu helps a bit. It wants to be loved and will make you sick if you try getting rid of it's sheet. Popplio has snot bubbles

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Mimikkyu is hiding under a sheet that resembles a previous beloved Pokémon in order to be loved itself. Has that concept been done in Pokémon before? Nope. Voilá, it's creative for this franchise then. Popplio is also creative. Can everyone calm down a bit?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Appeal is a big factor remember...

Clown seals appeal less to some people than a sheet ghost pikachu imitation...

mimichu is more appealing to me personally...the unique typing also helps with its appeal even though it doesn't mean much from a design standpoint...

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
That's not the kind of thing you'd ever expect from Sugimori. I agree that people have no right to say 'muh not creative' if they like Spoopychu, but I also think the lore of Spoopychu helps a bit. It wants to be loved and will make you sick if you try getting rid of it's sheet. Popplio has snot bubbles
I just wanna say that Snot Bubbles are OBJECTIVELY INTERESTING!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, that's my point. The actual visual design/appearance of it isn't unique. The typing and backstory is, but that's a separate aspect of the character and doesn't change the fact that it's literally a Pika-clone by design.

People never defended previous Pika-clones by acknowledging their differences in abilities and backstory either, and just focused squarely on the design similarity. Just wanna point that out. It's pretty hypocritical no matter how you look at this.

Mimikkyu is hiding under a sheet that resembles a previous beloved Pokémon in order to be loved itself. Has that concept been done in Pokémon before? Nope. Voilá, it's creative for this franchise then. Popplio is also creative. Can everyone calm down a bit?
Are you capable of either reading points that aren't your own, or tonal interpretation?

Because you entirely missed what I was saying on both fronts, to the point where you're trying to literally argue my point with the exact same point I am making.

Last edited:

Professor Lexicovermis

Smash Journeyman
Ooh! Just had an idea! Mimichu's sheet is designed after Pikachu so people will like it, right? What if it evolved to have a Lucario sheet? Go from one popular Poke to another!

Chrono.

I think it's funny, for a few months everyone was going mad with how little info we got on SM, now we're getting a biiiiiit too much imo
As long as it means this dex is bigger, I'm slightly okay with the Pokemon reveals.

They haven't really revealed anything else of great importance.

We don't know who'll be the antagonists yet, we haven't seen a single gym leader, no new mechanics have been shown yet (which is usually one of the first things they reveal in a new generation), aside from your friends and the professor we don't know who else will be a recurring NPC.

They've been keeping a lot more under the lid compared to XY.

D

Deleted member

Not a fan of the new Pokemon. Infact, that Pikachu sheet thing is my least favorite Pokemon of this generation so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

Aren't the extra move slot and the four-way battles technically new mechanics?

They're most likely as far as they go, either way, because Pokémon.
The extra slot was more of a blink and miss it moment from treehouse's footage, they haven't explained what it means or if it means anything else at all.

Pokemon Fatal-4-Way does count though.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The extra slot was more of a blink and miss it moment from treehouse's footage, they haven't explained what it means or if it means anything else at all.

Pokemon Fatal-4-Way does count though.
But we do know there is an extra move slot for sure as we have seen it on the interface.

Maybe it won't be a normal move slot and they will have some super-special-awesome move you can attach to it and have pre-requisites for using, but either way, I think it's going to change how you approach building your Pokémon's stats and abilities. It's like the difference between having three specials in the first Smash Bros in comparison to four in the others. Even though the added Side Special wasn't some special gimmicky mechanic and was just an extra move slot, it's still a big addition that changes how you play the different characters.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Finally started to play Pokemon Go and I've really got one thing to say.

Who's ****ing idea was it to have dead churches in my neighborhood as Pokemon Gyms?

D

Deleted member

ITT: People have different tastes. More at 7.
Oh also before I forget:

This is the saddest thing. All it wants is our hearts...
This is literally the most relatable Pokemon ever
Don't worry Mimikkyu, you'll be loved
But we do know there is an extra move slot for sure as we have seen it on the interface.
No, we don't know for sure.
The battle interface clearly only has space for 4 moves, unless you think they are hiding it, but then the status screen shouldn't have it

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Finally started to play Pokemon Go and I've really got one thing to say.

Who's ****ing idea was it to have dead churches in my neighborhood as Pokemon Gyms?
The algorithm labels public gathering places as Gyms, even if the info is outdated.

One unlucky guy moved into a refurbished church and had his HOUSE marked as a Gym.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom