• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Its funny because both pokemon sort of look for affections from people...

One just wants a hug (and may crush you in doing so)...the other pretends to be a popular pokemon to get attention (but will curse you if you see its real form)

The bear is starting to grow on me but its generally still a bit uninteresting overall...its description reminds me of Goodra actually as that pokemon likes to hug its trainer also except it just covers you in slime instead of accidentally killing you...

----

Also an FYI to peeps....'design' is about more than just a creature/character's outward appearance....

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
http://gonintendo.com/stories/26124...pike-in-pokemon-searches-after-pokemon-go-suc

>Release mobile game of Pokémon that gets on every smartphone under the sun
>All of a sudden everyone wants to **** Pokémon

Also I love how the URL ends in "suc".

Also an FYI to peeps....'design' is about more than just a creature/character's outward appearance....
I'm aware.

That's why I specified "visual design".

Mechanical design and anatomical design for instance, are different things from that.

It's visual design is not unique though. Pretending it is misses the point of it's mechanical design.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

More like ITT: people don't understand the difference between subjective tastes and interests, and objective originality.

I would say that I need to remember that most users here are much younger than me, but stuff like this does the reminding for me.

-----------------------

OK this is actually really silly Niantic.

http://cheezburger.com/8820376064/n...ge-pokemon-go-koffing-inside-holocaust-museum
Alright, one of them might be more original, so what's your point?

D

Deleted member

Now that i think about it, Drampa kinda looks like Falcor from the Neverending Story.

upload_2016-7-12_14-43-57.jpeg

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Just in case someone here wants to see some bad CG models from a professional news outlet.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Alright, one of them might be more original, so what's your point?
To make clear that one's personal tastes and interests should not cloud one's perception on objective elements like originality.

Also pointing out general hypocrisy displayed in the Pokémon fandom.

Also thinking about it, I forgot to mention earlier that the Pokémon fandom (including people in this thread) constantly rips on the Jibanyan clones in Yokai-Watch whenever they are revealed, even though they have different backstories and abilities, usually more obvious than a Pika-clone.

It's OK to do it to a franchise that's trying to get it off the ground and has an understandable reason for having a few clones, but god forbid you you point out a bit of unoriginal aesthetics in the multi-billion dollar franchise of 20 years that has no excuse for that.

Nintendo fans are truly the best.

D

Deleted member

To make clear that one's personal tastes and interests should not cloud one's perception on objective elements like originality.

Also pointing out general hypocrisy displayed in the Pokémon fandom.

Also thinking about it, I forgot to mention earlier that the Pokémon fandom (including people in this thread) constantly rips on the Jibanyan clones in Yokai-Watch whenever they are revealed, even though they have different backstories and abilities, usually more obvious than a Pika-clone.

It's OK to do it to a franchise that's trying to get it off the ground and has an understandable reason for having a few clones, but god forbid you you point out a bit of unoriginal aesthetics in the multi-billion dollar franchise of 20 years that has no excuse for that.

Nintendo fans are truly the best.
It's not hypocrisy if it comes from different people
The people who think Popplio is unnoriginal aren't the same that think Pikaboo is original
And then again, it depends on what kind of originality we are talking about, I mean, as much as I love Popplio, it's just a Sea Lion but Pikaboo has a pretty original background
Design wise, it's just a ghost(that we never see) with a Pikachu cloth over it, but it's still an interesting and original concept for a Pokemon
EDIT: Yes, I'm calling it Pikaboo too until we get an english name

Last edited by a moderator:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
About the new mons.

I kinda like the murder-hug-bear, even if the design is kinda simplistic. Pikaghostsheet is pretty cool, I like it a lot. The unique typing is great and I'm happy to see it.

Am I the only one who think those to could be Team Rocket's pokemon in the anime. I could easily see the bear constantly trying to hug it's trainer (probably James) while he flees in fear of being broken in half. For the Pikadoodle, they could easily mistake it for Pikachu and end up keeping it.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
One youtuber had an interesting idea about Mimikyu...

What if it doesn't only mimic pikachu? There are four islands in Alola, and the first one appears to have a fair amount of electric types so on this island, which includes pikachu... the mimikyus on this island mimic a popular electric type, and you can't get more popular than pikachu...
Whereas on another island they might mimic another water type or fire type like a poliwag (example he used in the video)...could make for an interesting concept, reminds me of flabebe which has a different coloured flower based on which patch of tall grass it is found in...

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

"end me"

Choosing my team this time around is gonna be hard.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's not hypocrisy if it comes from different people
The people who think Popplio is unnoriginal aren't the same that think Pikaboo is original
And then again, it depends on what kind of originality we are talking about, I mean, as much as I love Popplio, it's just a Sea Lion but Pikaboo has a pretty original background
Design wise, it's just a ghost(that we never see) with a Pikachu cloth over it, but it's still an interesting and original concept for a Pokemon
EDIT: Yes, I'm calling it Pikaboo too until we get an english name
You'd have a point on it not being the same people if the majority of the fandom didn't dislike Popplio, and if this new one wasn't universally praised.

And thrice again, I have noted many times that the overall concept of the Pokémon is unique and the rip-off aesthetic design makes sense in context. But the aesthetic design itself is not original, yet people are saying it is. That's what bothers me, as it's both misusing the term and not understanding the point of this Pokémon.

It's like Shadow the Hedgehog, he looks like Sonic and is designed to be, but it makes sense in context and he has different powers and a different backstory and his similar appearance to Sonic is used as a plot point/joke material. You still wouldn't call his visual design original, though. Doing so, once again, completely misses the point of his character and misuses the term.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

"end me"

Choosing my team this time around is gonna be hard.
My team has always been this:

• Fire Type
  • Water Type
  • Grass/Electric Type
  • Flying/Dragon Type
  • Fighting/Ice/Bug/Dark Type
  • Psychic/Ghost/Fairy/Steel Type

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Speaking of teams im replaying the best pokemon game "Soul Silver" and so far have a Quilava,Wooper,Flaaffy, and a heracross. About 3 badges in and looking to catch a tyranitar and a Skarmory

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

"Many?" So more than two? It's not just :4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario::4mario::4link::4mario:?!

. . .I probably shouldn't get too excited, seeing as it's only "under consideration" and only refers to the Japanese park. And they could have "many" while still using only a handful of Nintendo's IPs. . .and having most of them be Mario spinoff IPs. . .

. . .But I can't help but have a tiny part of me squee and hope for a truly diverse set of attractions. It's just too bad I probably won't see the hilariously obscure attraction I actually want to see. :4pit:

I suppose if it helps anything I've known since randomly seeing a Tweet from @Fumi-Chan! yesterday that the Japanese park will have their Nintendo section be larger than their Harry Potter section.

. . .I should probably look up how big the Harry Potter section is in Japan.

Is that like a fifth of the park? I mean granted if they just mean "larger" as in the number of rides or amount of walking space then the sheer amount of trees in that section kind of drags it down a lot, but if they mean larger as in actual map space then heck yeah I'll take it.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Saw that Brawlout game. It looks really slow compared to other Smesh games but hopefully it looks better later in development. I might get it as I'm a sucker of Smash clones.

*Sees new Pogeymanz*
Uh...

These are hands down the WEIRDEST Pokémon they have ever dished out (but Pikaboo is pretty neat).

Hope they they don't take too long to reveal them in English like they did with Rockruff & Komola.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I want Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid,, Donkey Kong, Splatoon and Kirby as a bare minimum.

Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Kid Icarus and Starfox would be great too. Maybe add in a retro thing, Wario and F-Zero as well.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nice Ghost/Fairy type. I like the idea that in order to make itself more appealing, it (failingly) imitates a Pikachu.

The bear...? Not digging it.

I do really like Popplio though. Never got the hate for it.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Back from my week away. First off,

Pokemon Go, haven't gotten to play it really, but I am glad it took off. Only problem is people are slowly using it for evil which is expected.

And what else have I missed? Any interesting Nintendo or game news?

As for coocoro.

The bear is cute. I love it's friendly but killer design. It's almost tanooki like. It feels like something out of we bear bares. Not at the top of the list, but I like it.

Ghost is the best thing I have seen. It's so funny but good at the same time. Liking it.

And Salamandit is also amazing. That ability is great.

The creative choices are certainly interesting this gen.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Nice Ghost/Fairy type. I like the idea that in order to make itself more appealing, it (failingly) imitates a Pikachu.

The bear...? Not digging it.

I do really like Poppolio though. Never got the hate for it.
I love Pikaboo. It's wierd but the kind I like. The bear just looks creeepppppyyyyy. Why would I want to hug THAT?

Sorry man, I really hate circus themed stuff anywhere other than an actual circus. Very unappealing to me...
Popplio is by far the worst looking water starter imo, especially if it magically changes from a seal to a mermaid if that 'leak' is true.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Seriously though, why do people hate Popplio? I personally like its circus clown motif.

People just hate fun nowadays. :p

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I love Pikaboo. It's wierd but the kind I like. The bear just looks creeepppppyyyyy. Why would I want to hug THAT?

Sorry man, I really hate circus themed stuff anywhere other than an actual circus. Very unappealing to me...
Popplio is by far the worst looking water starter imo, especially if it magically changes from a seal to a mermaid if that 'leak' is true.
You wouldn't. Some Bears kill their prey by wrapping around it ("hugging") and ripping, basically skinning their prey alive.

Terrifying. Looks like this Pokémon reveal theme was "cute and creepy".

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Seriously though, why do people hate Popplio? I personally like its circus clown motif.

People just hate fun nowadays. :p
Because people have no soul. Or must been traumatized by clowns in their lives. :p

If they don't have Wario be the banker for the theme park lockers, I will be disappointed.

I will be disappointed if there is no Meet and Greet in this "Mario Land".

With all the lovable Nintendo characters in the world, you'd think that Universal and Nintendo would take advantage of this. It will be just like taking pictures with Crash Bandicoot in Universal Studios (before Craptivion bought him and he got two laughably bad games).

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
After what happened I'm going to keep my opinions on Popplio shut. At this point I don't want to cause another argument.

I will however say that Gen VII looks promising and hopefully it'll turn out well.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Paging @Erureido and Frostwraith Frostwraith .

Looks like a three way battle for the serum. So, Armin, or Erwin?
Probably Armin. Erwin has had a death flag raised for longer.

Armin still has room to grow as a character, is a brilliant strategist, while Erwin has expressed he doesn't mind dying so long as humanity gains something from it.

In any case, both are characters who would sacrifice everything for a greater good, but Erwin seems the kind of man who would prioritize the younger generation in the name of humanity's future.

From a storytelling point of view, Armin surviving would be more interesting, even if more conventional, as Erwin, the mentor type of character is always likelier to die. If the author were to break this idea and have a character with room for development killed off, it would be a breath of fresh air.

I think Eren and Mikasa may end up quarreling with Levi over this question and/or Erwin may wake for a little while and express a dying wish of passing the torch to Armin.

In either the case, the story has plenty of room for interesting developments.

Also, that new Ghost/Fairy type Pikachu wannabe looks adorable. In a creepy way, but cute nonetheless.

kylexv

Smash Master
I just realized how good of a type Ghost-Fairy is.
2 Weaknesses (Ghost and Steel)
3 Immunities (Normal, Fighting, and Dragon)

The only bad part is that it only has 1 resistance (a quad-resistance to Bug).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom