• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Reggie's statement about the launch
“Launch day is not the be-all and the end-all. It really is the steady pacing of content that continually reinforces for the people who bought into the platform why they made a smart choice, as well as what compels people who might be sitting on the sidelines to jump in. We feel we have this great ongoing march of content to motivate you to jump into the platform.”

Reggie's statement about the paid online
“People have taken shots at us for that. The reality is, the way that online experiences have progressed, it’s an expensive proposition. The amount of servers we need to support Smash Brothers or Mario Kart — these big multiplayer games — is not a small investment. There are no friend codes within what we’re doing.”

Woomy is something Inklings say, Splatoon=Woomy
WAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIT.

I just realized.

Reggie just soft-confirmed not having friend codes.

. . .AND Smash Bros.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Well, I see that there's an audience for the Switch at the very least

"Woomy Kart, only 3 characters and a battle mode stage, buy now for 49.99!"
Well, Playstation peeps tend to laugh at both Sonic and Nintendo for being "kiddy."

Meanwhile Playstation doesn't even have any first party games I want and I'm pretty happy I'm not missing any Sonic games on the Switch, so. . .at least I'm a Sonic fan in the Nintendo specific audience, yeah.
While it's true Sonic games do tend to do better on Nintendo platforms, views (and like/dislike rations) aren't a good way to determine that. You also have to look at context (the Nintendo views are coming off of the high of a new console) and that trailers in general do worse on the console channel vs the game's channel. For example, Battlefield 1 has 51 million views on it's channel but only 200 thousand on the Playstation channel. That doesn't mean people on Playstation aren't interested in Battlefield 1 (it's one of the top 10 best selling games there) but that most people viewed it on the Battlefield channel instead.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Reggie's statement about the launch
“Launch day is not the be-all and the end-all. It really is the steady pacing of content that continually reinforces for the people who bought into the platform why they made a smart choice, as well as what compels people who might be sitting on the sidelines to jump in. We feel we have this great ongoing march of content to motivate you to jump into the platform.”

Reggie's statement about the paid online
“People have taken shots at us for that. The reality is, the way that online experiences have progressed, it’s an expensive proposition. The amount of servers we need to support Smash Brothers or Mario Kart — these big multiplayer games — is not a small investment. There are no friend codes within what we’re doing.”
No Friend Codes is huge and thankful.

Reggie is right about launch.

PS3, Xbox One and 3DS all made comebacks.

That Smash Bros soft confirm.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Also, have we confirmed the final death of Wii/Wii U Remotes and Classic/Pro Controllers?
I'm pretty sure they're incompatible already, but I'm just making sure.

...and WHERE are the Miis?!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I generally prefer to get Sonic games on Nintendo platforms, assuming they're equal to the other versions.

I'm getting Mania on PS4 because I ordered the collector's edition (though I may consider double dipping for the Switch version). And depending if the Switch version is as good as the others, I'll get Project 2017 there.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
No Friend Codes is huge and thankful.

Reggie is right about launch.

That Smash Bros soft confirm.
PS3's comeback is just due to massive price drop and PS Plus deals like crazy.

Also once Switch hits a big price drop to like $199.99, it's gonna start pushing units.

However Japan's is gonna be one that matters the most

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
PS3's comeback is just due to massive price drop and PS Plus deals like crazy.

Also once Switch hits a big price drop to like $199.99, it's gonna start pushing units.

However Japan's is gonna be one that matters the most
I just realized.

PS3 cost twice as much at launch as the Switch is going to.

That doesn't necessarily speak the best for the Switch's pricing, but it's kind of hilarious for the PS3's.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
That's the same ****ing thing honestly. It's like saying you prefer pepsi over coke
I don't know. One's a randomly generated static set of numbers and the other a customizable, ideally easy-to-remember moniker. Seems pretty different to me.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I am beginning to wonder if I should make a list of Smash related mentions or hints throughout the next 6 or so weeks leading up to the Switch's release with each day possibly bringing something new excluding January 12th and January 13th as those were when the presentation was airing and we were adjusting to all the new content. :p

For example:

January 14th: Dutch retailer puts up a listing for a Smash Bros game on the Switch; is a credible source due to leaking the controllers for the Switch.

January 15th: Reggie hints in his interview that both Mario Kart AND Smash Bros. needs to run on a lot of servers, which could excuse the sake of paying for online as they are improving their servers. Friend codes are also mentioned to be gone, but that's a smaller fact.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
D

Deleted member

I've said this before, but... To be fair, those didn't have much completion at launch. When when they did their competition was also lackluster, besides the PS3. But the PS3 at least was a sequel to the PS2 which is the best selling console of all time.(And wasn't a one time trend like the wii.)
Heck, the X Box One had a terrible launch but it's been catching up with the PS4 recently.

But the thing is that the Switch is extremely late to the party that by the time it finally gets momentum the next generation of consoles may come.

Not to say it's necessarily good though, though it probably would be if it weren't for the portable aspect TBH. As long as they focus on that hopefully it can do decently, if not great.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I am beginning to wonder if I should make a list of Smash related mentions or hints throughout the next 6 or so weeks leading up to the Switch's release with each day possibly bringing something new excluding January 12th and January 13th as those were when the presentation was airing and we were adjusting to all the new content. :p

For example:

January 14th: Dutch retailer puts up a listing for a Smash Bros game on the Switch; is a credible source due to leaking the controllers for the Switch.

January 15th: Reggie hints in his interview that both Mario Kart AND Smash Bros. needs to run on a lot of servers, which could excuse the sake of paying for online as they are improving their servers. Friend codes are also mentioned to be gone, but that's a smaller fact.

What do you guys think?
well one is possably fake (? I didnt follow this much) and the other is probably him giving examples

but go for it

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

For example:

What do you guys think?
Which Dutch retailer is this anyway? Even then it's a fake leak for getting Odyssey wrong

And I just realized @Shishœ got cucked HARD. First Nintendo makes a new IP that can be called EO and now the video game people think of with 'Odyssey' is Mario. "Fire Emblem: Etrian Kingdom" or something when?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

For example:

What do you guys think?
Thats a good idea. But don't get your hopes up.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Reminder that friend codes were represneted the one of the most clunky ways of online:

Each game that used the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection generated a unique twelve-digit Friend Code that could be exchanged with friends and be used to maintain individual friend lists in each game. Though certain games could be played online without a Friend Code, a Friend Code was required to play with a specific person. Friend Codes were generated from an identifier unique to a copy of a game and the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID of a DS or Wii system. Using a different copy of a game or loading the same copy in a different system generated a new Friend Code.[9] If users wanted to become "Friends", they had to mutually add Friend Codes and be authenticated as Friends once both of them were online. Nintendo introduced these features as conscious steps to preserve users' privacy. If a DS or Wii game was sold, but not the system, there was no risk of the purchaser impersonating the seller. If a user needed to replace his or her DS system, then the old system's Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection ID could be transferred wirelessly, in order to maintain the user's original Friend Codes on the new machine. Some games required that the user had to use Friend Codes to use any online functionality.

Many games have additional features that are enabled between registered friends. These may include customized matchmaking options, cooperative play, friend lists, text chat, and voice chat. Certain Wii games use the 16-digit Wii Number to share some data passively between mutually registered users via WiiConnect24 instead of using independent Friend Codes. Although, some of these games may use both the 16-digit Wii Number and its own 12-digit Friend Code, depending on whether the online connectivity requires either passive data-sharing or active multiplaying respectively.

From Wikipedia. Thank whatever deity you believe or don't believe in for NNIDs.

MF Viewtiful

Son MF
Switch FC
SW 4028 6305 8614
Oh since someone mentioned Coke vs Pepsi: I need only to bow to the true king of Colas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom