• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
That artwork is a REALLY weird style
Yeah, it does look odd.

Probably the weirdest official art of the ones released so far has to be Zelda's though:

I mean, I love the stance she is taking, but the face looks rather... off. She looks much better in-game compared to her official artwork.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
My rpg I'm working on now has 24 party members. Each with their own unique abilities, and they're all based off my real life friends and family cause that's too easy

D

Deleted member

WARNING: the following is not a Nintendoomed post. It's more so about my Joy-Cons of the system. I apologize if I sound harsh or anything, but I'd like to give my own thoughts on three particular subjects-- the launch lineup, the online subscription service, and the high cost of the accessories. In other words, this is my opinion.

Switch's launch lineup is extremely small compared to 3DS, Wii, and Wii U's-- compared to Wii U's 23 launch titles in the Americas, Switch only contains five, and the only "big" game out there launching alongside the system is Breath of the Wild, and nothing else. While I'm sure games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2 will come out soon after, there's little to no incentive to get it out right away when it comes out in March, at least for me. It's like the Nintendo 64's launch where you only had two games to pick from (three in Japan).

Then there's also the fact that you have to pay for online multiplayer. I'm kind of bitter about that since you already have to pay for your internet bills and a bunch of other utilities, and now you have to pay to play online on the game you just bought. I know Sony and Microsoft have been doing this for a while now, so this is nothing new. Though I believe it's a crappy business practice. However, as ironic as it may be, I would try dealing with it as long as the price is cheap (with over-exaggerated emphasis on the word "cheap," I'm specifically talking about a yearly subscription)... let's say, just like how much Pokémon Bank costs each year... though I doubt that'll happen. It's probably a bit higher than that, I guess.

Of course, I do understand that Nintendo is a business and they need money to stay afloat, as I pointed out in my previous post. I'm simply saying they could've done something better in regards to this. I don't necessarily care whether the online service suddenly becomes good or not once you pay for it-- I'm saying the whole idea shouldn't be a thing. Not just for Nintendo's system, but for everything else. At least the service is free for the first few months, so there's that. The pricing scheme for this service will tell it all.

And last, but not least, the accessories are expensive and exceed the usual accessory pricing scheme Nintendo has put out for generations. I do understand there's some new technology built in to the Joy-Con and Pro Controller, but I don't think I'd want to pay that much. Perhaps I think I'm better off taking care of the ones included with the system, much like GamePad was for the Wii U. I also thought the Dock would be priced about $20, but it turns out you have to pay $90 for it, so again, unless you intend on saving money to get additional Docks to place them in other rooms, I'd probably suggest you to stick to the one included with your system. The Joy-Con Charging Grip is not included in the box, so if you ever want to charge your controllers without them being attached to the system, you will have to pay $30 for it. But personally, I'll just leave them attached to the system if they need to be charged.

That being said, I'm of course looking forward to the software, as that's the most important thing when it comes to dedicated game systems. Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey both look mindblowingly impressive and I'm eagerly awaiting to see the many other games being in development, whether they have been announced already or not.

When was the last time you got a system on/near launch?

Last time my family did was with the PS2, and we bought Tekken Tag Tournament. I think I might have gotten the GBA near launch, and again, I got that Tekken Advance game.

With most other things, I ended up waiting a while.
The last and only system I've ever gotten a system at launch was the 3DS in March 2011. I don't think I'll get the Switch at launch. Perhaps a bit later than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yeah, specially for MK8+
I preordered that and Zelda

I have untill the 22nd of this month to do it, which means I'll be out of a game console for all of February if I trade it in

At least I still have my 3DS. I started using my Wii U for a Twitch player for Saltybet anyway lol

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

hotdiggedydemon did a review of the new "Powerpuff Girls"

The new series is worse than I thought

I also like his points at the end about how all the male characters in the show are irreplaceable but the female characters are the ones they got rid of. How progressive

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Something I noticed about the Mario game when it was shown off, but. . .

Has anyone else noticed the hat shops in both New Donk City and the Mexican area that have for a logo a hat with the same eyes as Mario's hat but a different hat design than his cap?

I think Mario either got his new partner out of a special shop or said partner is otherwise something that's being handed out and sold to people from those shops but that one in particular is special.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
OK, I just thought of another question.

Which people here are actually locked into the Switch? I see plenty of people that aren't, but it'd be interesting to know who else actually managed to slip a preorder in.
Locked on. The Switch comes out the day before my birthday, which is super coincidental, but I'll take it. Also, huge Nintendo fan so I can't say no to it.

Burruni

Smash Hero
WARNING: the following is not a Nintendoomed post. It's more so about my Joy-Cons of the system. I apologize if I sound harsh or anything, but I'd like to give my own thoughts on three particular subjects-- the launch lineup, the online subscription service, and the high cost of the accessories. In other words, this is my opinion.

Switch's launch lineup is extremely small compared to 3DS, Wii, and Wii U's-- compared to Wii U's 23 launch titles in the Americas, Switch only contains five, and the only "big" game out there launching alongside the system is Breath of the Wild, and nothing else. While I'm sure games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS and Splatoon 2 will come out soon after, there's little to no incentive to get it out right away when it comes out in March, at least for me. It's like the Nintendo 64's launch where you only had two games to pick from (three in Japan).

Then there's also the fact that you have to pay for online multiplayer. I'm kind of bitter about that since you already have to pay for your internet bills and a bunch of other utilities, and now you have to pay to play online on the game you just bought. I know Sony and Microsoft have been doing this for a while now, so this is nothing new. Though I believe it's a crappy business practice. However, as ironic as it may be, I would try dealing with it as long as the price is cheap (with over-exaggerated emphasis the word "cheap," I'm specifically talking about a yearly subscription)... let's say, just like how much Pokémon Bank costs each year... though I doubt that'll happen. It's probably a bit higher than that, I guess.

Of course, I do understand that Nintendo is a business and they need money to stay afloat, as I pointed out in my previous post. I'm simply saying they could've done something better in regards to this. I don't necessarily care whether the online service suddenly becomes good or not once you pay for it-- I'm saying the whole idea shouldn't be a thing. Not just for Nintendo's system, but for everything else. At least the service is free for the first few months, so there's that. The pricing scheme for this service will tell it all.

And last, but not least, the accessories are expensive and exceed the usual accessory pricing scheme Nintendo has put out for generations. I do understand there's some new technology built in to the Joy-Con and Pro Controller, but I don't think I'd want to pay that much. Perhaps I think I'm better off taking care of the ones included with the system, much like GamePad was for the Wii U. I also thought the Dock would be priced about $20, but it turns out you have to pay $90 for it, so again, unless you intend on saving money to get additional Docks to place them in other rooms, I'd probably suggest you to stick to the one included with your system. The Joy-Con Charging Grip is not included in the box and if you ever want to charge your controllers without them being attached to the system, you have to pay $30 for it. But personally I'll just leave them attached to the system if they need to be charged.

That being said, I'm of course looking forward to the software, as that's the most important thing when it comes to dedicated game systems. Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey both look mindblowingly impressive and I'm eagerly awaiting to see the many other games being in development, whether they have been announced already or not.

The last and only system I've ever gotten a system at launch was the 3DS in March 2011. I don't think I'll get the Switch at launch. Perhaps a bit later than that.
I have one thing to note.
The WiiU's launch was in November, so its launch lineup HAD to double as its Holiday Lineup.
These two consoles are kinda releasing under differing timeframes.
A weaker launch but a FAR more potent first year.

Edit: And we don't know the full launch lineup yet, possibly. I think like 7 of WiiU's 20 some-odd launch titles were Eshop-Exclusive, for example.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Man you sure are lucky friday the 13th was YESTERDAY because this is silly.
:093:
Something must have slept through Friday the 13th.

Something decided that it'd celebrate on the 14th instead.

Run while you're still breathing!
I was glad two days ago when I told my boss I'd be leaving at the end of February for another job.

Now I'm super glad. This has been one hell of a night.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Thinking we might reach 2 Mil this year! It's over 1.8 Million right now...

Still have Undertale to go after this as well...

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
There is also Smashbros which I haven't played in over a year, even so, I have the 3DS version

There is Captain Toad that I like but if the Switch can play wii u game digitaly, Im good there since I downloaded it

Oh Nintendo you need to answer that, can wii u games be played digitaly. We need to know this BEFORE March 3rd

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thinking about the things I could sell...

• Maybe Smash 3DS (while keeping the data if I want it).
  • Maybe Chibo Robo Zip Lash if I don't like it when I play it
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Monster Hunter for Wii U
Hmm... What do you all think?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
hm....Well Mario Kart 8 is on the Switch, so is Splatoon 2
I didn't even buy much games for the Wii u and my most played one was Mario Kart 8
Then go ahead and sell it for a Switch.

Then there's also the fact that you have to pay for online multiplayer. I'm kind of bitter about that since you already have to pay for your internet bills and a bunch of other utilities, and now you have to pay to play online on the game you just bought. I know Sony and Microsoft have been doing this for a while now, so this is nothing new. Though I believe it's a crappy business practice. However, as ironic as it may be, I would try dealing with it as long as the price is cheap (with over-exaggerated emphasis the word "cheap," I'm specifically talking about a yearly subscription)... let's say, just like how much Pokémon Bank costs each year... though I doubt that'll happen. It's probably a bit higher than that, I guess.

And last, but not least, the accessories are expensive and exceed the usual accessory pricing scheme Nintendo has put out for generations. I do understand there's some new technology built in to the Joy-Con and Pro Controller, but I don't think I'd want to pay that much. Perhaps I think I'm better off taking care of the ones included with the system, much like GamePad was for the Wii U. I also thought the Dock would be priced about $20, but it turns out you have to pay $90 for it, so again, unless you intend on saving money to get additional Docks to place them in other rooms, I'd probably suggest you to stick to the one included with your system. The Joy-Con Charging Grip is not included in the box and if you ever want to charge your controllers without them being attached to the system, you have to pay $30 for it. But personally I'll just leave them attached to the system if they need to be charged.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be upset that they now have to pay for online, but what would be a better practice?

Chrono.

Do you plan on still using you Wii U after the Switch releases? Are there any games you feel like you'd regret not playing anymore?
Yeah I'll probably go back to games like XCX and TMS (the former because I like playing it, the latter because... I'm not done with it yet).

There's also Smash, which I play sometimes with mods. Pokken which I play every now and then.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Bayonetta 2, Smash Wii U (In case of lack of port), and a few other games are keeping me from outright selling my Wii U.

Even then I have friends who are less fortunate than I that would surely love my Wii U and it's library of games if I decide to leave it completely behind for the Switch. I'd might just give it to one of them.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Anyone willing to trade with me so I can get Solgaleo's Pokedex entry?

I'll gladly trade right back, I just want the dex.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Thinking about the things I could sell...

• Maybe Smash 3DS (while keeping the data if I want it).
  • Maybe Chibo Robo Zip Lash if I don't like it when I play it
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Monster Hunter for Wii U
Hmm... What do you all think?
yeah Im selling my Mario Kart 8

I wish Nintendo will say if you can plays wii u games digitaly or not. I have Smash digitally on my Terabyte HD

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
assuming you got a lunalalalala than sure

EDIT oh wait it never updated you may want to get someone else lol
:061:
You can update real fast.

You want the dex entry for Lunala?

Then we trade back?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yup.
If you were to run away with my precious friend
Nebby
neither I nor [redacted] could ever forgive you
:062:
That's okay.

You would get Nebby for Nebby.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I won't sell my Wii U...too many games I enjoy and most of them are digital such as Smash, Zero Mission, Fusion, and Wind Waker HD....as well as some games I intend to complete such as Axiom Verge, Minish Cap and Hunters...
then there's my physical copies of Xenoblade X and TPHD as well...

I might consider selling Pokken and Mario Maker because even though they are pretty fun I just never really find myself interested in playing them again...same is true for Splatoon but that's digital...

D

Deleted member

I'll still play my Wii U for games I like/am interested in that don't get ported over to the Switch. I'll also use that system to play Wii games, since all my Wii data (save files, Wii Virtual Console and WiiWare games, etc.) has been transferred to my Wii U. Meanwhile, my original Wii has become that GameCube/Project M machine.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
SAVE THE ANIMALS HYPE!!!
:084::056:

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
*shrugs* I did my best, Kurri.

Actually to be honest I misread the question. Had to look at Flight's post.
I suppose my post was worded pretty badly. I dunno, people keep mentioning how there's "a better solution" to online subscriptions, but honestly, if there really were, do you think they wouldn't do it? After all, businesses are always looking for the best, most efficient ways to make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom