• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Oh gosh, I hadn't even checked Reddit yet. I doubt there's any place with any ray of hope right now, though.

Nintendo rammed into the ground hard and I'm scared for their future.
I don't think you should be too worried. There are people on the net that are positive about the Switch, even if they may have some minor concerns or things they're not too specially fond of. If you're concerned, maybe take a moment to step away from the forums and especially the more toxic internet hubs - have a small walk to clear your mind, and think about the positives. There have several great and wonderful announcements today, such as Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild - these are true instances of 'Win Back the Crowd' today, and the highlights for a lot of people, including me.

I recommend that staying positive is a good way to have a refreshing outlook on what happens with the Switch.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

I got it before it sold out.

I feel accomplished.

Kind peeved you can't pre-order the Switch Version of Zelda on Amazon yet. Or so it seems?

Last edited:
I kept my expectations low, and now I'm quite glad I did. Aside from Mario Odyssey, nothing particularly interested me.

No region-locking is a very good thing, and the price is alright, but I'm still not going to buy it anytime soon.

And looks like my 20+ new pages prediction was correct.

How about we kill some time with a Pokemon discussion... I know! Let's have a follow-up discussion from the Zinnia topic about a week ago.

What is your opinion about the Delta Episode in OR/AS? Did you love/like/dislike/hate it? Why so? Would you be interested in something similar to it return in a future main series game?

I'll post my response shortly.
I really enjoyed it. I hope something similar happens in a future game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh gosh, I hadn't even checked Reddit yet. I doubt there's any place with any ray of hope right now, though.

It wasn't THAT bad...

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511

Why you suddenly went full doom mode? :p
Ignore the first impressions of the forums and reddit (people can inflate even the smallest nitpick a lot) and focus on yours.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
You shouldn't act like it's a good thing for Nintendo to arbitrarily restrict content to ports. Otherwise, Nintendo will know people are happy with that and do it more.
I'm not acting like its a great move on Nintendo's part, I just understand and accept why they're making it Deluxe. I paid for Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U and the dlc and I'm still going to buy this because it'll be fun. At the end of the day it may be my money wasted, but I'll have the benefit of a the new stuff and having the game be portable.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I would have considered double dipping for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe but the lack of free online play after the trial period really kills it for me.

I don't intend on paying for online services on any platform, so I won't be having any more online experiences in the future it seems. Just hope the servers for Smash Wii U stay up and stay populated for a good while longer.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Mexican retailers allow you to preorder the Switch with only 4 bucks.
lol

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You could always sell Mario Kart 8 on Wii U to afford Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

I don't sell games often, but I might do that.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't think you should be too worried. There are people on the net that are positive about the Switch, even if they may have some minor concerns or things they're not too specially fond of. If you're concerned, maybe take a moment to step away from the forums and especially the more toxic internet hubs - have a small walk to clear your mind, and think about the positives. There have several great and wonderful announcements today, such as Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild - these are true instances of 'Win Back the Crowd' today, and the highlights for a lot of people, including me.

I recommend that staying positive is a good way to have a refreshing outlook on what happens with the Switch.
I'm teetering between "I guess it wasn't so bad, thee were some games I think looked pretty cool" and "Oh my gosh Nintendo is going to die" depending on what conversations I stumble into.

I see Xenoblade 2 as my big announcement for today because it wasn't in the Switch trailer, and I actually like it's cute little artstyle even if it's not typical Xenoblade. Splatoon also looked nice, although I wasn't quite in the mood to appreciate it at the time as much as I wanted to.

It wasn't THAT bad...
I hope not. I've been fed a message for months that if Nintendo doesn't do this or that or does this or that they'll be pushed out of the console business, and they went against public desire on. . .nearly everything.

Why you suddenly went full doom mode? :p
Ignore the first impressions of the forums and reddit (people can inflate even the smallest nitpick a lot) and focus on yours.
My first impression was to flinch at the reaction I could already see people have to the price and then crumple when they announced they were charging for online. I've been in a particularly Eeyore mood since then before the games were even rolled out. I couldn't even get myself to properly enjoy Splatoon 2 and that was what I was there for, although Xenoblade 2 took me off guard enough to distract my emo for a second.

I'm sure I'll bounce back within a day, I already bounced back a bit for a moment before backsliding again and if Corrin went from a bad reaction preemptively wincing at public reception to being something to be protected and loved within a day despite public attitude I'm sure this will too.

. . .Except paying for online. That's the one thing I didn't want out of this system. Although I guess a game to try out each month isn't so bad, even though everyone is complaining it's horrible because it's not nearly enough compared to the other guys and one person said Nintendo should just make and give everyone VC as a whole for free. . .

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You guys being so anti paying for online services. What is it that bugs you so much about it?

You do know it's not like they're just charging for the sake of charging. It's proven that a charged online service improves the quality of your online play. Look at the difference in online play on PS3 and PS4 for example.

Of course XBOX Live is kind of the champ at showing what paying a small fee to pay online can actually do for you as a gamer in the long run.

And honestly, as someone who has paid for online with the 3 month gift cards and such for Playstation 4. You barely even notice that you're paying for it when it's not a monthly charge.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
You could always sell Mario Kart 8 on Wii U to afford Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

I don't sell games often, but I might do that.
I would do that, but at the end of the day I'm just going to give my brothers my Wii U. They love playing it with Minecraft, Mario Kart, Smash, Yoshis Woolly World and some other games that I bought on the system.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm going to play wait and see what I do with my Wii U. Depends on how many of it's core games with replay value get ported over with new content like Mario Kart 8 or get a better sequel like Splatoon 2.

I suppose ultimately I'm saying is if Smash gets ported over I'll just give the Wii U and my games to somebody, maybe trade a few in at Gamestop for credit for Switch games.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You guys being so anti paying for online services. What is it that bugs you so much about it?

You do know it's not like they're just charging for the sake of charging. It's proven that a charged online service improves the quality of your online play. Look at the difference in online play on PS3 and PS4 for example.

Of course XBOX Live is kind of the champ at showing what paying a small fee to pay online can actually do for you as a gamer in the long run.

And honestly, as someone who has paid for online with the 3 month gift cards and such for Playstation 4. You barely even notice that you're paying for it when it's not a monthly charge.
This is one complaint I don't get.

Yeah, Nintendo doesn't usually do this but it's so common, I'm not sure why people didn't think of the possibility.

I think the only thing that would bug me about that is if it was stupid expensive.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
My first impression was to flinch at the reaction I could already see people have to the price and then crumple when they announced they were charging for online.
If your reaction was thinking on other's reactions then you're doing something wrong; you're not the businessman or developer that invested on the device, you're the consumer. If you enjoy something, buy it if you can to show your support and don't let the cloudy judgements of people cloud you own opinion. Said clouds will clear after some time anyway.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is one complaint I don't get.

Yeah, Nintendo doesn't usually do this but it's so common, I'm not sure why people didn't think of the possibility.

I think the only thing that would bug me about that is if it was stupid expensive.
Which I don't see happening. It'd be suicide if it wasn't a comparable price to Live or PSN.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Which I don't see happening. It'd be suicide if it wasn't a comparable price to Live or PSN.
To be honest, it might even be cheaper.

Still, until Smash or... something like it comes out, I won't pay for it.

Never really liked Mario Kart online.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Just checked Game stops website and they have lots of bundles and accessories already. Pricey, but its there. Surprisingly no Pro Controller, but Joycons are there and you can get em in packs of two or just one individually.

*1-2-Switch is $50 and not packaged with the Switch*

Ho boy Nintendos got a lot of faith in the gimmicky game. I'm not gonna grab it, Zelda will do just fine.

D

Deleted member

My only real issue with the Switch is having to pay to play online (though I do understand why Nintendo made that decision), but the only games I really see myself buying are single-player and local multiplayer games anyway.

Not every game that interests me will be available at launch, but I don't think I'll buy one ASAP, as much as BotW tempts me.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I will say though.

1,2 Switch will die. Fast. No one really cares about it.

Arms? It's got a shot. It has an identity. It's got some charm, but it will be an uphill battle.

Still, I'm actually debating getting Arms.

Depends on the full package.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, I'm back.
I feel better now. I did the test and I believe I've done pretty well.
As for Switch stuff, I haven't actually watched the presentation because it aired an hour before I go to school, but my friends told me about what was shown. A bit disappointed that there wasn't anything related to Smash, but Super Mario Odyssey is looking pretty good, and the fact that the console is region free is great. Having to pay for online play isn't.
I don't think I'll get the console at launch, cuz I'd rather wait and see what it has to offer in terms of games, but it's looking pretty good so far.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Again looking through Gamestops website (Big images ahoy)
Screenshot_20170113-032625.png
20170113033434.png

Lol, not grabbing a bundle, I just want BotW and Bomberman to start.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People are mad at 300 dollars?

For real?

Like...

That's absolutely a fair price.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The Joycons being 80 dollars and not even coming with the grip that you have to spend 15 extra for is the most ridiculous pricing to me. As is 70 bucks for the pro controller. I'm sorry but no controllers should cost more than the games you play with them. This bugs me about the PS4 and XBOX One as well.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
The Joycons being 80 dollars and not even coming with the grip that you have to spend 15 extra for is the most ridiculous pricing to me. As is 70 bucks for the pro controller. I'm sorry but no controllers should cost more than the games you play with them. This bugs me about the PS4 and XBOX One as well.
I mean, the Joycons are understandable. They really are filled with a whole bunch of technology for being rather small controllers. On top of that, you get 2 Joycons for $80, which is $40 for each one instead of $50. Now $70 for the pro is ridiculous. Glad I love to use the Handheld Mode.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know what? You're right.

A lot of the complaints are things the rest of the gaming industry has had for a long time.

Maybe Nintendo fans are more sheltered than I thought.

Still sucks though.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
In regards to Mario Kart 8 on the Switch:
upload_2017-1-13_10-58-11.png

upload_2017-1-13_10-57-41.png

upload_2017-1-13_10-53-21.png

It's cheaper than the other games (aside from 1 2 Switch (but no one really cares about that) and ARMS).

- Getting a Joycon pair saves about £11
- Hori controller is significantly cheaper than Nintendo's.
- Vreath of the Wild sounds interesting. kappa

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People say the Switch has PS2 graphics.

Not sure if idiot or trolls.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I keep trying to get a better impression of Splatoon 2 while feeling slightly less negative, but it kept crashing on Nintendo's site. Going to go to YouTube to try again. I don't even think I noticed half the stuff in it, I could have sworn I was mid-conversation with someone during the trailer but they said they hadn't talked to me during it so uh

Right from the start I was trying to figure out what kind of sea creature blinked past me during one part. My closest guess is a sea urchin, but the quills are different than those of Spyke and the one other sea urchin that was in a band. I have it paused right now and they seem to actually be a cyclops. . .and on a squid shaped phone like the one on your bed in the loading art for Splatoon, only green instead of white.

The hubworld is in a different city, any idea what this one is based off of? The billboards on the main building almost remind me of Times Square, but that may be a bit too American-centric for a game like this. As an American, the storefronts feel a little more familiar if not exactly synching with Times Square, though. . .There is a tortoise and an oragami bird overlooking the city the same way the kitsune and tanuki did in the first game.

Dual wielding's gimmick is exactly what any kid would want to do when dual wielding, LOL.

I wonder what the Shrimp in the ice cream truck does, if anything. That logo makes it even more astonishing that their tempura theming isn't conscious and intentional since it's basically a cross section of meaty tempura with ice cream on top. Maybe they replace Spyke as a way of increasing slots? No idea.

One of the new stages seems to be, well, an actual concert stage. Another seems to be one of those indoor rock climbing places. There's also a "beware of water" sign in the indoor rock climbing stage.

And what is WITH that knockoff Judd scoring for the "Bad Guys" team? That Uncanny Valley pretty much has to be on purpose. Is he a toy? A hologram? Did the Octarians botch a clone that ended up getting adopted?

The supers are all pretty cool, but also kind of self-explanatory. Did they get rid of all the old supers, or are they just showing off new ones?

. . .So yeah, noticing tons of goodies in the Splatoon 2 trailer as I slowly slide upwards in mood.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Switch is only £280 and Breath of the Wild only £40 on Amazon. Ayyy

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The more I think about it.

The more Arms excites me.

If done right, it could be a pretty amazing new IP.

Granted.

That's if its done right.

Could be a motion control mess or a gem that could be underrated or maybe even the next Splatoon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I only play games socially nowadays, other than maybe the one or two single-player games I run through a year, so I really don't know if I'm going to even bother paying for online. If there's a free tier with limited features, I'm sure that'd be good enough for me. Even without online, my experience wouldn't be too crippled.

And yeah, those controller prices are absurd. Especially because they're going to go over $100 CAD. I'm going to buy one Pro Controller for myself and call it a day, lol. Maybe a second for my bf.

I will say though.

1,2 Switch will die. Fast. No one really cares about it.

Arms? It's got a shot. It has an identity. It's got some charm, but it will be an uphill battle.

Still, I'm actually debating getting Arms.

Depends on the full package.
I'd be more amenable to Arms if it wasn't dumb ol motion control. It looks fun... it just doesn't play the way I want it to.

And 1 2 Switch is a game Karen would bring to a party.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What if...

Arms has button controls too?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
1, 2 Switch is the game that Karen would interrupt a perfectly good wine social with. ****ing Karen.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The more I think about it.

The more Arms excites me.

If done right, it could be a pretty amazing new IP.

Granted.

That's if its done right.

Could be a motion control mess or a gem that could be underrated or maybe even the next Splatoon.
Seems a little TOO out there to be the next Splatoon, IMO. The gameplay footage does look solid though, if not quite my kind of thing.

I see it as more likely being the next W101 in a best case scenario. The mainstream never really tapping into it but the game getting a dedicated niche fandom despite that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What if...

Arms has button controls too?
That'd be great! If it reviewed well I'd consider picking it up at some point. But with games verging onto $100 up here, I gotta be picky over which I'm gonna buy this year, especially since I'm also going to be getting the Switch and those damn controllers. And without ARMS my Switchlist is already at like a half-dozen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom