• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, Aqualad is gay as of DC Rebirth, so they might tie that into it.
That's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if Aqualad was big enough on the show to make a big deal out of it, is all. :p

Speaking of Rebirth, I kinda fell behind. Did they ever expand upon THAT part of the ending, to be as spoiler free as possible?

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Like Ground Sandslash, Ice/Steel Sandslash or both?
Obviously the ground one because the Alolan form is called Snowslash :dazwa:

Also the data Entries where "Pokemon are starting to go extinct" makes no sense.. have they ever heard of the Pokemon called Ditto? :dazwa:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Silvally, Ariados, Rampardos, Castform, Sandslash, Dusknoir, Braviary, Electivire, Garbador and Hawlucha. Those are just ideas off the top of my head, even though some that I listed got a BST boost

I mean, I acted extra masculine for a while to hide it so it exists, not to mention the myth of 'flu shots cause autism' has been proven to be objectively ******** yet there are still morons who refuse to let their kids be healthy

I feel like specific context is needed here
I very recently played The Last of Us, and...

Ellie, the main female lead of the game, was confirmed to be gay in an interview with Neil Druckmann, the game's writer.

The issue was brought up because, in the Left Behind DLC episode, we get to see Ellie's last moments with her best friend, Riley, and near the end of it, Ellie pecks Riley on the lips. This is only the gist of it without any context, but basically, due to the whole way TLoU is set up and everything we had seen of Ellie's character in the main game, most people (including myself, upon playing the game last week) got the impression that Ellie wasn't gay. Most of us got the impression that, Ellie simply loved Riley from a purely romantic standpoint, with no real sexual feelings between them, and with no need to label themselves or anything. This would be very in line with one of the recurring themes of TLoU, being that in a post-apocalyptic world, social perceptions of a lot of things start to change. A lot of the human values that we accept in normal society, morph greatly or get thrown out the window entirely. Most people even seem to have abandoned the idea of love at all, not even just romantically, but just any sort of companionship. So when I first saw Ellie kiss Riley, I just viewed it as an innocent case of two kids loving each other in this otherwise loveless world, and since it was only a peck and not a snog, I didn't get any sexual vibes from it at all.

But by outright saying Ellie identifies as gay, it kinda cheapens what could have been an otherwise beautiful, thought provoking scene on human nature, into blatant LGBT pandering. Especially since it doesn't make a lot of sense that Ellie could have a grasp on the concept of sexual identity. She's 14 years old and was born into a post-apocalyptic world, 6 years after the out break. She was also raised in a military school, and if anything, they would condition her to be straight so that she could willingly reproduce (the military wants to restore society to normal). And throughout the main game, she doesn't at all seem interested in sexuality. She comes off as an innocent kid (aside from the necessity of killing people/Infected that threaten her). It doesn't help that there is actually another gay character in the game who was handled much more elegantly (and since he is a 40+ year old survivor from before the initial outbreak, it makes sense he could grasp the concept of sexuality).

And since Neil Druckmann is a known supporter of Anita Sarkeesian and Feminist Frequency, he will probably try to make Ellie's sexuality a big deal in TLoU Part II. He already pulled some weird feminist pandering stuff in Uncharted 4.

And just so it's clear, I don't mind characters being gay if it adds to their character and doesn't feel forced, and at the very least, makes sense in the context of the world. Making Ellie gay just goes against all of these, and even some of the narrative techniques the original game was so strong at.

Being called lad without being British is a gay guarantee so I guess :p
Oh geez, guess I have to have a coming out scene... >.>;

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
That's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if Aqualad was big enough on the show to make a big deal out of it, is all. :p

Speaking of Rebirth, I kinda fell behind. Did they ever expand upon THAT part of the ending, to be as spoiler free as possible?
Oh, you mean...

The whole Watchmen thing?

Yeah, not as much of a DC reader as I am a Marvel reader, but most of the references to Dr. Manhattan and Watchmen stuff in general are in Titans, Action Comics and Detective Comics.

Titans: Abra Kadarbra was apparently hired by Dr. Manhattan to take out Pre-New52 Wally West. Omen read into his mind and only saw the word 'Manhattan'.

Action Comics: A guy who goes by the name Dr. Oz basically is stalking tf out of Pre-New52 Superman and Lois. As far as I'm aware, Pre-New52 Superman and Lois are considered by him to be 'wild cards'. He also managed to hold down and capture Doomsday himself.

Some people have speculated he (Mr. Oz) be could either be Ozymandias or Pre-New52 Lex Luthor (Evil Lex basically).

Detective Comics: Tim Drake got transported and captured by Mr. Oz just before he died. He managed to escape, came face to face with Mr. Oz, freaked and basically 'I-impossible...' and got transported back to his cell; some speculating that he potentially got shocked over the fact that Mr. Oz is actually Pre-New52 Lex Luthor.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Ellie, the main female lead of the game, was confirmed to be gay in an interview with Neil Druckmann, the game's writer.

The issue was brought up because, in the Left Behind DLC episode, we get to see Ellie's last moments with her best friend, Riley, and near the end of it, Ellie pecks Riley on the lips. This is only the gist of it without any context, but basically, due to the whole way TLoU is set up and everything we had seen of Ellie's character in the main game, most people (including myself, upon playing the game last week) got the impression that Ellie wasn't gay. Most of us got the impression that, Ellie simply loved Riley from a purely romantic standpoint, with no real sexual feelings between them, and with no need to label themselves or anything. This would be very in line with one of the recurring themes of TLoU, being that in a post-apocalyptic world, social perceptions of a lot of things start to change. A lot of the human values that we accept in normal society, morph greatly or get thrown out the window entirely. Most people even seem to have abandoned the idea of love at all, not even just romantically, but just any sort of companionship. So when I first saw Ellie kiss Riley, I just viewed it as an innocent case of two kids loving each other in this otherwise loveless world, and since it was only a peck and not a snog, I didn't get any sexual vibes from it at all.

But by outright saying Ellie identifies as gay, it kinda cheapens what could have been an otherwise beautiful, thought provoking scene on human nature, into blatant LGBT pandering. Especially since it doesn't make a lot of sense that Ellie could have a grasp on the concept of sexual identity. She's 14 years old and was born into a post-apocalyptic world, 6 years after the out break. She was also raised in a military school, and if anything, they would condition her to be straight so that she could willingly reproduce (the military wants to restore society to normal). And throughout the main game, she doesn't at all seem interested in sexuality. She comes off as an innocent kid (aside from the necessity of killing people/Infected that threaten her). It doesn't help that there is actually another gay character in the game who was handled much more elegantly (and since he is a 40+ year old survivor from before the initial outbreak, it makes sense he could grasp the concept of sexuality).

And since Neil Druckmann is a known supporter of Anita Sarkeesian and Feminist Frequency, he will probably try to make Ellie's sexuality a big deal in TLoU Part II. He already pulled some weird feminist pandering stuff in Uncharted 4.

And just so it's clear, I don't mind characters being gay if it adds to their character and doesn't feel forced, and at the very least, makes sense in the context of the world. Making Ellie gay just goes against all of these, and even some of the narrative techniques the original game was so strong at.

Here's my guess. You can't 'convert' someone's sexuality and she's sexually maturing, so I say it's at least experimenting till you hit the switch *click*. And if it was real pandering, it'd be asexual lesbian or something.

Oh yeah, you're a demisexual iirc. You do indeed need to come out! I'll get Demi Lovati to perform!

Since when has Leech Seed been 80 power
Leech Seed is a damaging move now? :p You meant Leech LIFE

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You were calling? :smirk:

None taken. Mine is more polished, though.
Crap, that was quick lol.

You can't go wrong with my 16-bit smexyiness though. Did you draw your avi?

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Interesting. I have to wonder who amongst them are lgbt.
It's the Martian lady. Megan. Whatever her name is. I can feel it.
Also the data Entries where "Pokemon are starting to go extinct" makes no sense.. have they ever heard of the Pokemon called Ditto?
Just because there's a breeding population doesn't make a species no longer endangered.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Here's my guess. You can't 'convert' someone's sexuality and she's sexually maturing, so I say it's at least experimenting till you hit the switch *click*. And if it was real pandering, it'd be asexual lesbian or something.

Oh yeah, you're a demisexual iirc. You do indeed need to come out! I'll get Demi Lovati to perform!

Whatever! You know what I meant!

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506

No offense, but when you start needing paragraphs of information to explain why girls kissing on each other is actually straight it starts to read like a Russian taunt.

D

Deleted member

Ellie being gay is something the devs confirmed, she may not even know what the word means, all they did was say "she's attracted to girls" in simple terms.
Dunno how that breaks the perception of her being innocent but I guess YMMV

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I didn't say "convert", I said "condition", which you totally can do, and is exactly what the military school does. We're told about how they raise the kids in a very specific way, to condition them into being the ideal pioneers for a future society, which would include having couples that can willingly reproduce.

It would have worked better if they developed Ellie being gay, but they didn't, they had to go out of their way to confirm it, which is telling of how forced onto her character it is.

No offense, but when you start needing paragraphs of information to explain why girls kissing on each other is actually straight it starts to read like a Russian taunt.
Except I never said she was straight?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I didn't say "convert", I said "condition", which you totally can do, and is exactly what the military school does. We're told about how they raise the kids in a very specific way, to condition them into being the ideal pioneers for a future society, which would include having couples that can willingly reproduce.

It would have worked better if they developed Ellie being gay, but they didn't, they had to go out of their way to confirm it, which is telling of how forced onto her character it is.

Well, I say that's because the game didn't show anything, it's a leftover detail, nothing too major and was DLC if I heard correctly

D

Deleted member

Is Log Horizon trying to make this likely-around-his-twenties cat guy with a likely-only-14-years-old girl pairing a thing? Because I don't know which side is more wrong: is it the guy hooking up with a kid or is it the furry girl? Prolly the furry one
So, a gay character whose sexuality isn't the main focus of their character is "forced"?

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Then mentally edit my post to say "explain why two girls kissing on each other actually isn't gay" and it'd mean the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom