• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Crap, that was quick lol.

You can't go wrong with my 16-bit smexyiness though. Did you draw your avi?
No, I think I found it on some forum discussing Advance Wars. Can't remember the name, though. I also never asked for permission so that's why I'm never using this one anymore.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It probably won't evolve though.
No need, Bon Bons are best the way they are :088:
No, I think I found it on some forum discussing Advance Wars. Can't remember the name, though. I also never asked for permission so that's why I'm never using this one anymore.
Wait hold up thats someone elses icon?

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In my moon version, I have an open portal to the Ultra Space

I noticed that egg hatching uses Ultra Space as a location

So, I can have Pokemon with the hatched location of Ultra Space, which I think is awesome

I'm specifically going to stop at this point and hatch eggs in Ultra Space, just because that's a rare location to have

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Uhm... what?

So what are the contradictions with the main game and her sexuality? And no, the themes of a story don't matter to that.
And it's not hard to write a gay character, you just write a character and have them be attracted the same sex. And Ellie is a good character so I don't see how she's not a good gay character too
Throughout the entire game, she seems actively disinterested in sexuality and a person's appearance (which factors into sexual attraction, obviously). One notable example is in Pittsburgh, where you can have an optional conversation with her after coming across an advertisement featuring a female model, where she talks about not understanding the point in grooming one's appearance, especially dieting to look nicer. And at many points in the game, she goes on about how it's funny that girl's had to worry about little more than looking nice and finding love before the outbreak happened. Ellie doesn't at any point come off as gay, or come off as straight in the main game. She comes off as actively disinterested in any and all romantic or sexual relations. She seems much more interested in, and in need of, feeling like she has a family she belongs to. Which is why Joel ends up becoming a father figure to her.

Making her gay is tacked on, forced, contradictory to material in the game, and irrelevant to the story they have been setting up, therefore adding nothing to the narrative, making it feel like nothing more than a cheap attention grab than an earnest attempt to add something compelling to the character. Unlike how they handled Bill, which is the real kicker I feel - it wouldn't be as bad if they didn't set themselves a standard with Bill, who is an example of a gay character done right. It didn't require an interview to confirm it because his actions had enough nods to the fact in-game for it to feel like a natural, forgone conclusion after a certain point, and it didn't contradict any of his actions. And it made sense in context because he is a survivor, born well before the apocalypse happened, so he can feasibly grasp the now old and dated concepts of sexuality in this post apocalyptic world.

Chiko and Shinshoe are getting into a lot of long debates recently.

Wonder why you two keep doing this,
It tends to happen when you take someone who is overly cold and logical, and have them say things that a much more emotional person doesn't agree with.

This is neither a compliment or an insult towards either party.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Is this gay argument still going on?

Everytime a character's revealed to be gay there's somekind of argument going on....

The only issue with characters being gay is how people make it an issue...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Is this gay argument still going on?

Everytime a character's revealed to be gay there's somekind of argument going on....

The only issue with characters being gay is how people make it an issue...
No, nothing is absolute. You can mess up a portrayal of a gay character, or your representation of the concept of being gay, and misuse it in many other ways. Just like anything else in a narrative.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm late to the conversation and don't even know what character you guys are talking about, but I can practically shut it down by saying that being gay has no defining characteristics other than being attracted to the same sex, period.

It doesn't really matter if their characteristics match. Many gay people don't "come off as gay" unless they were to talk about it or if you were to see them with their partner.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I breed 2 wimpods, they are both level 1

They both have perfect IV's

BUT, their stats are different?

Edit: Oh duh. One has EV's

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Today I finally learned how to use Netflix.

Bruh, I thought I had to pay a small charge for every movie I wanted to see; I've been living under a rock, yo.

D

Deleted member

Throughout the entire game, she seems actively disinterested in sexuality and a person's appearance (which factors into sexual attraction, obviously). One notable example is in Pittsburgh, where you can have an optional conversation with her after coming across an advertisement featuring a female model, where she talks about not understanding the point in grooming one's appearance, especially dieting to look nicer. And at many points in the game, she goes on about how it's funny that girl's had to worry about little more than looking nice and finding love before the outbreak happened. Ellie doesn't at any point come off as gay, or come off as straight in the main game. She comes off as actively disinterested in any and all romantic or sexual relations. She seems much more interested in, and in need of, feeling like she has a family she belongs to. Which is why Joel ends up becoming a father figure to her.

Making her gay is tacked on, forced, contradictory to material in the game, and irrelevant to the story they have been setting up, therefore adding nothing to the narrative, making it feel like nothing more than a cheap attention grab than an earnest attempt to add something compelling to the character. Unlike how they handled Bill, which is the real kicker I feel - it wouldn't be as bad if they didn't set themselves a standard with Bill, who is an example of a gay character done right. It didn't require an interview to confirm it because his actions had enough nods to the fact in-game for it to feel like a natural, forgone conclusion after a certain point, and it didn't contradict any of his actions. And it made sense in context because he is a survivor, born well before the apocalypse happened, so he can feasibly grasp the now old and dated concepts of sexuality in this post apocalyptic world.

It tends to happen when you take someone who is overly cold and logical, and have them say things that a much more emotional person doesn't agree with.

This is neither a compliment or an insult towards either party.
Thing is, attraction doesn't equate to sexuality
Someone can be attracted to a person without it being sexual.
This is why some people are asexual but seek relationships and why kids are being able to fall in love.
Ellie may not be interested or understand in all that sexual stuff yet but she already understands what it is to like someone. For her, a kiss is a demonstration of love, and that's what she was trying to convey at the moment

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm late to the conversation and don't even know what character you guys are talking about, but I can practically shut it down by saying that being gay has no defining characteristics other than being attracted to the same sex, period.

It doesn't really matter if their characteristics match. Many gay people don't "come off as gay" unless they were to talk about it or if you were to see them with their partner.
The issue isn't her "not obviously being gay". Bill isn't obviously gay, and that's not a problem.

Ellie is actively shown to be asexual and aromantic in the main game, due to the fact that she is a 14 year old kid in a post apocalyptic world who logically speaking, shouldn't have an exposure to the concept of sexual identity. And they change and contradict that to pander to a minority.

Saying you can shut an argument down by saying one thing without actually having any knowledge about the subject matter, is just the pinnacle of blind arrogance and ignorance.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I think if I wrote a character, I would likely have them identify as both asexual and aromantic.

So many things seem to revolve around the question "Who do you want to be in a relationship with?" with various kinds of emotional baggage to it. There's almost the implication that someone -has- to be looking for a relationship or there's something wrong with them. It might actually be more interesting if the answer was "No thanks, I don't really see or feel about anyone that way."

I also feel as though sometimes people seem to think that romantic relationships are the ONLY kind of love a human being can feel, so it might be a good idea for such a character to still explore friendship and family-like bonds even if they aren't looking for someone to neck with.

Alternatively, a character could be some kind of eldritch abomination that simultaneously exists as all possible categories relevant to debate and none at the exact same time. Hilarity ensues because they're actually really into Deviantart.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I love how OoT's Master Quest makes the Great Deku Tree, the most pathetically easy dungeon in the Zelda series actually challenging to beat.

That's what I love about this version. It adds complexity to my favorite game of all time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I now have Golisopod 3.0

He's identical to 2.0, but has his egg hatching location as Ultra Space!\

Edit: Also it's a male, while 2.0 was female. Almost identical

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
It wouldnt be any better if I said dogs. they can have 5-8 pups lol

Also wasn't the point I was trying to get across
I know, I know, I understand the point and I agree with it.

Just thought I'd shoot the fish in the barrel for cheap comedy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just leaned the other day, from Gnoggin's video, that mammals usually have more nipples than their usual litter of children

Including humans, who usually only have 1 child.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I love how OoT's Master Quest makes the Great Deku Tree, the most pathetically easy dungeon in the Zelda series actually challenging to beat.

That's what I love about this version. It adds complexity to my favorite game of all time.
The great deku tree was a bit hard on my first go but the only dungeons I remember having trouble with was the fire temple and Ganon's Tower (fire portion) with the later one forcing me to stop playing it because I didn't know what to do..

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
you dont fight over wtf the sexual orientation of a rabbit is
Uhh. . .considering the fights furry fandoms get into over shipping this may not be the most safe statement to make, LOL. Not counting the fact that if some pet owners force obligate carnivores onto vegan diets they might try to make up an identification for their pet on the fly too and insist on it.

People will fight over anything, they just probably shouldn't.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
When I had rabbits the two of them were said to be different genders and they started making nests like they were about to have baby rabbits but they never did.. apparently they were both female and the person who said that one of them was male made a mistake.. it's a shame because I wanted to see them have baby rabbits :ohwell:

D

Deleted member

The issue isn't her "not obviously being gay". Bill isn't obviously gay, and that's not a problem.

Ellie is actively shown to be asexual and aromantic in the main game, due to the fact that she is a 14 year old kid in a post apocalyptic world who logically speaking, shouldn't have an exposure to the concept of sexual identity. And they change and contradict that to pander to a minority.

Saying you can shut an argument down by saying one thing without actually having any knowledge about the subject matter, is just the pinnacle of blind arrogance and ignorance.
I can say I can shut it down because you're simpily overcomplicating something so simple. :p Arrogant on my part? Yes. Ignorant? No.

I may not know the specific franchise before, but I've heard your arguements by many other people.

By the time 14 perhaps you (likely) don't have sexual interest per say but you can have romantic interest. And regardless of whether or not you show it through external characteristics or actions.

Take a middle school boy for instance, and say he's seemingly anti social and asexual. While it may seem that way, perhaps internally he does find romantic interest in girls and want to be socially liked. Also people tend to find attraction regardless of the conceptial idea of it, which is more like an influence rather than a cause.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The great deku tree was a bit hard on my first go but the only dungeons I remember having trouble with was the fire temple and Ganon's Tower (fire portion) with the later one forcing me to stop playing it because I didn't know what to do..
You're talking about the Master Quest versions right? Just making sure.

IIRC there's this one key that's brutally hard to find in the MQ Fire Temple that frustrated the hell out of me. I dread going back to the Fire Temple in this playthrough.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I can say I can shut it down because you're simpily overcomplicating something so simple. :p Arrogant on my part? Yes. Ignorant? No.

I may not know the specific franchise before, but I've heard your arguements by many other people.

By the time 14 perhaps you (likely) don't have sexual interest per say but you can have romantic interest. And regardless of whether or not you show it through external characteristics or actions.

Take a middle school boy for instance, and say he's seemingly anti social and asexual. While it may seem that way, perhaps internally he does find romantic interest in girls and want to be socially liked. Also people tend to find attraction regardless of the conceptial idea of it, which is more like an influence rather than a cause.
Literally nothing of what you said relates to what I've been talking about or displays any understanding of the subject matter or even my point.

Not reading everything and neglecting to research the subject matter is absolutely ignorance, because you are ignoring details, thus only getting a fraction of the full picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom