• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Well, ingame battles are a joke.

Except for the Battle Tree at high levels.

I was talking about online.
I don't like random matches online because there're no tiers and almost all of the Pokémon I like are UU or even NU.

D

Deleted member

I'll spoiler this in case anyone cares to watch SAO. Probably should have spoilered some of my earlier posts, actually.

Aincrad Arc is about a shut-in otaku gamer kid who finds friendship and love, and because of these two things (and a ludicrous amount of training to become OP, typical of any shonen anime), is able to fight his way out of a life or death scenario and becomes a hero.

Alfheim Arc is about the same kid trying to save his damsel in distress girlfriend from a crazy, perverted psychopath. He also deals with a strained relationship with his sister (who he later finds out is his cousin), due to the fact that she is romantically and sexually attracted to him.

Gun Gale Arc is about this same kid being sent on an undercover mission by some authorities (honestly can't remember if it was the government or someone else) to find a mysterious killer. It also deals with this girl he meets and her PTSD struggles.

Excalibur Arc I will give you is actually about video games, because the entire thing is just Kirito trying to get a rare OP sword in Alfheim for the lulz, and him and his friends are also roped into a literal in-game quest to help a bunch of NPC characters in the game. Then they go into some half-hearted "MAYBE THE VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS HAVE A MIND OF THEIR OWN" spiel that's incredibly dumb.

Mother's Rosario Arc is about otaku kid's girlfriend, Asuna, with him taking a backseat role. Asuna meets a girl while playing one of her VR games, and becomes very good friends with her and her group of friends. She later learns that this girl has a terminal disease and plays the VR game from a hospital bed. Knowing that her friend is doomed to an untimely death, she takes it upon herself to make the last few days of her new friend's life, the best she has ever had. There is also a side plot about Asuna's mother trying to get her to stop playing VR games, and how she disproves of her relationship with her boyfriend, and how she wants her to go to a different college that her boyfriend won't be going to.

So of the five Arcs in SAO, only one is ACTUALLY about video games, and it's by far the shortest Arc, at a measly three episodes. Aincrad and Alfheim are shonen anime (with Aincrad having a lite-survival element due to the death game set up). Gun Gale is a murder mystery show. Excalibur is the magical adventure in video game land with actual video game NPCs. And Mother's Rosario is straight up slice-of-life/drama with a tragedy element to it.

SAO is not about video games, and simply uses them as a part of it's setting, except for three episodes which try to actually be more nitty gritty about video game mechanics (and it doesn't do it very well because Alfheim isn't a good video game from a mechanics standpoint).
You literally just repeated what I said shouldn't be confused, these are the themes of the story, not the story itself.
The story is about some people getting trapped inside a videogame and having to survive inside it. The themes are psychological consequences this puts into someone, how the difference between reality and the virtual world becomes blurred and whatever other bull**** they want to throw into your face.
and a ludicrous amount of training
Oh yeah, that enormous amount of training even though that's never shown and he breaks the game even before that or when it shouldn't matter.
MAYBE THE VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS HAVE A MIND OF THEIR OWN"
They actually did that? Jfc, this snowball just doesn't want to stop

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone every have some random stranger offer trades online?

I don't like when they do that, because I don't know what they want

And I'm not sure what they expect me to want that they have

It's like receiving an unsolicited DP

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Only happened to me one time and the dude traded me a Pheromosa for a Buzzwole, so that was cool.

I wonder why people say Im smart even though I have spent a total if 5 years in community college
You have to have 5 years in collage in order to be considered smart?

I must be pretty dumb then.

And I am. :V

EDIT: ****. Pressed post by mistake. My bad! ;(

Last edited by a moderator:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl

I had that happen to me once in XY. Some random person asked me to trade, I agreed... and then they put up a Keldeo. I had nothing that could be worth trading a Keldeo for, and I knew there was no way they would accept anything less. Not like it matters though, since I don't care for that little pony.

:094:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

naw, I let it expire. The ultimate form of "**** off"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had that happen to me once in XY. Some random person asked me to trade, I agreed... and then they put up a Keldeo. I had nothing that could be worth trading a Keldeo for, and I knew there was no way they would accept anything less. Not like it matters though, since I don't care for that little pony.

:094:
And I apparently have a false sense of how much a specific pokemon is worth. They offer a pokemon, I offer one I think is worth about the same. They quit the trade

That's why I'd rather just use GTS. That way I could put one pokemon up for another, and if someone actually does want that trade It'll go through. If no one wants that trade, it won't.

If I wanted to trade with someone directly, it's only going to be someone I can communicate with

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
And I apparently have a false sense of how much a specific pokemon is worth. They offer a pokemon, I offer one I think is worth about the same. They quit the trade

That's why I'd rather just use GTS. That way I could put one pokemon up for another, and if someone actually does want that trade It'll go through. If no one wants that trade, it won't.

If I wanted to trade with someone directly, it's only going to be someone I can communicate with
The GTS is why buying both versions is such a serious waste of money. I remember back in December of 2013, I (who played Y) was able to get every one of the exclusives from X (except Xerneas and the Mega Stones, since you can't trade for specific items) in around 12 hours by trading their equivalent from Y. I repeated the experiment in OR, even though I had most of the Pokémon from previous games already, and it was just as easy. I don't see why so many people see the two versions as such a nefarious business strategy by Game Freak. I don't approve of every decision by GF, but with the version differences being as slight as they are nowadays, I really don't think they expect anyone to buy both games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I want this

Apparently it's life sized

You know, I used to be pretty creeped out by giant isopods. And then, silly enough as it is, Golisopod helped. I...can't take them too seriously anymore.

Funny how that works.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Lycanroc, Crabominable and Silvally are pretty disappointing Pokemon.
I don't understand why they made them so bad.

Pokemon like Lurantis and Gumshoos are not disappointing because everybody knew thet would be bad, but the others, I don't know, I expected much more.

I'm glad Bewear is good.
Silvally's issue is almost entirely in not having THAT massive of a movepool; which tutors will fit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
you would get a different reaction irl if that was real and not a plush
...I wasn't talking about the plush. I just used it as a jumping off point.

Like, this guy here doesn't really startle me anymore.
Worse thing about them now is just that they have the same color scheme as poorly cooked poultry, and that's a...relatively minor thing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mean, when I just started to realize they're just pill bugs blown up to an incredible size, most of the creep factor left. :p
I guess Golisopod left a good first impression

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've seen people suggesting Eviolite Type:Null because it has mostly the same stats, just less speed

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Yes, they are so cute
It is me or I would see someone using this image in his creepypasta of Sun & Moon? One where his Golisopod get possessed or something?
Of course, it would be a ****ty one.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just had a good idea for a pokemon creepypasta in sun and moon

Someone transferring over Missingno into Sun/Moon

D

Deleted member

Why am I laughing?

View attachment 124595

That and its awful stats spread.
Yeah, 95 in every stat sure is bad
I've seen people suggesting Eviolite Type:Null because it has mostly the same stats, just less speed
Eviolite Null's only downside is its limited movepool conpared to Silvally
The speed doesn't matter since it's a defensive set.
Imo, Null's ability is much better than Silvally's. Crit immunity>item slot waster

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
...So I just got my first game over on MGS1.
Welp, this is going to suck for me lol.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I really hate the happiness mechanic in Pokemon. Takes so long to evolve Pokemon.... zzz.

Also, just passed the 50% Alola Dex milestone yas.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Eviolite Type Null is terrible because it doesn't have a reliable recovery.

Silvally is bad because its ability is bad, and its stats spread is terrible making him a good for nothing.
It doesn't hit hard, it's not a tank and it's slow.
You will always find a Pokemon that does the same as Silvally, but better.

I know what I'm talking about.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I've seen that suggestion as well, but I have to say it falls apart as Type: Null loses a surprisingly large amount of moves from its evolution such as Ice Beam, Surf, Crunch, Explosion, and Parting Shot, so you lose a lot of offensive presence and a good amount of utility with it. Now that could be ignored if it had other positives, but the fact that it also lacks anything like Recover also hurts since that means it can't even play to the strengths of an Eviolite set, which limits it even more. So you just end up with a bulky mon that has little offensive presence and limited support options, and there are other options that fill its role much better as a result.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Silvally doesn't even learn Earthquake. Let that sink in
Here's the real kicker on why it isn't too good. It's 95 spread makes it look like a slightly weaker Mew. But it's poor movepull means it can't pull a Mew. Arceus holding a plate not only changed it's type, but increased it's STAB. And Arceus got a buff, Z-Crystals ALSO change it's type. The ideal solution to fix Silvally is to increase his movepull, maybe even make the Memories a Key Item as you get them all at once anyway, use the key item, pick Silvally, you then get to choose which type you make it. Like that it'll even be able to hold an item

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You literally just repeated what I said shouldn't be confused, these are the themes of the story, not the story itself.
The story is about some people getting trapped inside a videogame and having to survive inside it. The themes are psychological consequences this puts into someone, how the difference between reality and the virtual world becomes blurred and whatever other bull**** they want to throw into your face.

Oh yeah, that enormous amount of training even though that's never shown and he breaks the game even before that or when it shouldn't matter.

They actually did that? Jfc, this snowball just doesn't want to stop
You're right that the story is about needing to survive, that's exactly what I said (at least it's part of the what Aincrad arc is, anyway). But you're not right about it being about a video game.

You could tell the same story, but it could be changed to something like Saw, where the characters are trapped in some death game in the real world in a dank, abandoned building. Or they could be trapped on some island where a death game takes place and they have to survive there. And all of the key story beats could still play out the same. Kirito could still be a Gary Stu, Asuna could still be a character that starts off OK but gets butchered later on, etc.

The video game world is literally just a setting for the story. Everything I described in my previous post is a plot synopsis of each arc. Mother's Rosario especially is not about video games, it actually spends a good chunk of time in the real world as well.

Also, I wasn't saying that Kirito's training was a compelling plot point or anything. My point is that while the show calls it "EXP grinding" because the characters happen to be inside a game world, it's still just this show's version of "shonen anime protagonist training time skip", which is a common trope, and hence, just further demonstrates how the show REALLY isn't about video games. Kirito's EXP grinding that the show skips over is no different to how the Naruto series glossed over Naruto's three years of training between the original series and Shippuden (and he's suddenly way stronger after the time skip). It's no different to how Goku and Gohan spend years in the high gravity chamber (from their perspective), but we barely see any of this, and then suddenly, Gohan's an experienced Super Saiyan at the end of it. Nobody complains about it in those shows and accepts that it's par for the course in shonen anime, so why is it an issue here?

If SAO was a show ABOUT video game mechanics, it would have went into excruciating detail on how the different stats in the game worked, how you level them up and make the best use of them, etc. But since it's just your run of the mill shonen anime, everything is just used as an excuse to make powerful characters who get into flashy fights. Kirito's high EXP level and special dual wielding skill are literally just this show's version of Naruto having Kurama's Chakra inside him as well as his own, and his signature Rasengan technique that he can do as a result even at a young age.

I would agree with you if you said that SAO could have been a better and more unique show if it DID focus on being about video game mechanics (and did so well), rather than just being a run of the mill shonen anime with "it's a VR game world" being the excuse for the characters being able to have these flashy fights in the first place. But that's not what happened, and ultimately, the show isn't very good because it poorly utilises most of the main cast, and gets to a point where the stories it tries to tell are just flat out uncomfortable. Issues with the mechanics and whether or not people would play a game like SAO, are tertiary at best and mostly be written off with "people like bad video games, subjectivity is a thing", or "SAO is a game that lets you live and walk when you otherwise can't, or make love with your ideal girl or actual girlfriend when you are otherwise an anti-social otaku". Even if SAO and the other VR games were badly designed as traditional video games, there are still plenty of reasons people might play them.

And even so, not everyone who watches this show is well versed in MMO mechanics. Hell, I'm willing to bet most of it's audience isn't. That is just another reason why the game mechanics are so tertiary to the show.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You're right that the story is about needing to survive, that's exactly what I said (at least it's part of the what Aincrad arc is, anyway). But you're not right about it being about a video game.

You could tell the same story, but it could be changed to something like Saw, where the characters are trapped in some death game in the real world in a dank, abandoned building. Or they could be trapped on some island where a death game takes place and they have to survive there. And all of the key story beats could still play out the same. Kirito could still be a Gary Stu, Asuna could still be a character that starts off OK but gets butchered later on, etc.

The video game world is literally just a setting for the story. Everything I described in my previous post is a plot synopsis of each arc. Mother's Rosario especially is not about video games, it actually spends a good chunk of time in the real world as well.

Also, I wasn't saying that Kirito's training was a compelling plot point or anything. My point is that while the show calls it "EXP grinding" because the characters happen to be inside a game world, it's still just this show's version of "shonen anime protagonist training time skip", which is a common trope, and hence, just further demonstrates how the show REALLY isn't about video games. Kirito's EXP grinding that the show skips over is no different to how the Naruto series glossed over Naruto's three years of training between the original series and Shippuden (and he's suddenly way stronger after the time skip). It's no different to how Goku and Gohan spend years in the high gravity chamber (from their perspective), but we barely see any of this, and then suddenly, Gohan's an experienced Super Saiyan at the end of it.

If SAO was a show ABOUT video game mechanics, it would have went into excruciating detail on how the different stats in the game worked, how you level them up and make the best use of them, etc. But since it's just your run of the mill shonen anime, everything is just used as an excuse to make powerful characters who get into flashy fights. Kirito's high EXP level and special dual wielding skill are literally just this show's version of Naruto having Kurama's Chakra inside him as well as his own, and his signature Rasengan technique that he can do as a result even at a young age.

I would agree with you if you said that SAO could have been a better and more unique show if it DID focus on being about video game mechanics (and did so well), rather than just being a run of the mill shonen anime with "it's a VR game world" being the excuse for the characters being able to have these flashy fights in the first place. But that's not what happened, and ultimately, the show isn't very good because it poorly utilises most of the main cast, and gets to a point where the stories it tries to tell are just flat out uncomfortable. Issues with the mechanics and whether or not people would play a game like SAO, are tertiary at best and mostly be written off with "people like bad video games, subjectivity is a thing", or "SAO is a game that lets you live and walk when you otherwise can't, or make love with your ideal girl or actual girlfriend when you are otherwise an anti-social otaku". Even if SAO and the other VR games were badly designed as traditional video games, there are still plenty of reasons people might play them.

And even so, not everyone who watches this show is well versed in MMO mechanics. Hell, I'm willing to bet most of it's audience isn't. That is just another reason why the game mechanics are so tertiary to the show.
Sorry Chiko, but SAO grabbed people by saying 'peeps are stuck in MMO'. If they don't have talk about the design/enjoyability of the MMO, then the story should have been a fantasy world setting. See No Game No Life. The summary is 'siblings are sent to fantasy land where everything is run by games' THAT'S what captures the interest of potential viewers, not talking about that is just false advertising
does kissanime still have popup ads? is it safe to turn off ad blocker for them?
Personally, I haven't had pop up ads, though I always click 'play on device's player'

Burruni

Smash Hero
.Hack// did everything SAO should've and about 10 years earlier.

G.U. is basically SAO, honestly.... didn't think about that.

Plus Kite's infinitely cuter than Kirito.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
With video game anime, even though SAO has positives, I think there are many more out there that capture interest better and are higher in quality. No Game; No Life isn't a masterpiece, but it's still a pretty fun ride all the way through. Log Horizon has received a lot of praise, and certain series of :hack have also been good from what I've heard. SAO just can't keep up with its competitors...unless it's Asterisk War, because that one might be even more controversial than SAO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom