• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just got to Oblivia in Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Even the desert is gorgeous. Wow.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The problem is not about the games needing to be "good", they just need to look realistic otherwise the suspension of disbelief of anyone who has played a game once shatters.
How am I supposed to believe a game with only 10,000 copies sold on release day is enough to be a successful MMO or that anyone would even be interested in a MMORPG that only has one freaking class? ALO's mechanics are just stupid unbalanced it's not even funny and makes you wonder why anyone plays with the non-DPS races, GGO's a mash of genres that make no sense together, randomized avatars would turn away anyone immediatelly, the fact its metagame somehow didn't find out about the usefulness of swords until God Kirito came along along with various other mechanics being only found out by Kirito and Death Gun, the bullet trails making no sense for a shooter, snipers being completely unbalanced yet no one but Sinon uses it and taking 8 ****ing months to make a competitive build and it being extremely hard to change your build after you make it.
These things matter because worldbuilding matters, you can't sell a world if it doesn't even look realistic by gaming standards.

Reki is not a gamer nor has he done any research into the subject, it just serves to show how lazy he is and that he really is just after that green.

If this was a manga about lawyers, it would have made that reference 10 chapters in.
That guy isn't even a lawyer, he's just a once-multibillionare that is now flat broke that also happens to be Fitzgerald.
....But none of this changes anything about the story or the characters and the art direction, which are ultimately the most important aspects of the show.

And the whole "they're bad games, nobody would play them" argument kinda falls apart when you get back to the fact that even in real life, people like terrible games, and even if the game is objectively bad, whether or not a person likes it is subjective. There are people who legitimately like Sonic '06, for example, despite it obviously being a broken and rushed mess.

There's also the fact that SAO is a VR game that completely puts you in it's world, people could find enjoyment on that aspect alone. The MMO mechanics may be jank, but people could get into the game for it's social and real-body stimulation aspects alone. We actually see examples of this in the show itself, where some players decide not to fight much at all, but instead set up shops where they get regular customers they can talk to or spend time hunting or hanging out in taverns. In the Mother's Rosario arc, we see how people find appeal in these ultra-stimulating VR games from the perspective that these people LITERALLY have no other way to enjoy their lives due to being stuck in a hospital bed with a terminal disease, or how Asuna uses it as an escape from her overbearing mother. In SAO2 in general, there are a LOT of scenes where Kirito and friends are hanging out in some sort of lounge or cabin they have acquired in the game, and just use it as a social hangout spot. Hell, we even see in the Aincrad arc that Kirito and Asuna can make love in this virtual world, imagine how revolutionary that could be, especially for people who might fall under the LGBT spectrum and might have trouble finding a partner willing to make love with them in their local area. Any criticisms of the actual MMO mechanics become irrelevant when you consider the fact that just being able to step into a virtual world where everything feels real, and being able to meet people you might not otherwise be able to see in real life, would be a life changing experience. And even if the battle mechanics are terrible by actual game standards, fighting would still be exhilarating because you have the physical stimulation to back it up. There's also the fact that since we are told we are looking at the dawn of these ultra stimulative VR games, you can expect that the intricacies of their mechanics would be quite flawed, just like the first time for a lot of things in the video game industry in real life.

The problem with Mother's Basement's video is that he assumes only the most hardcore gamers would play SAO, but even in the show, we see plenty of players who are more casual even in the death game situation, and in real life, VR is probably more appealing to casuals than hardcore gamers who care about the nitty-gritty of mechanics. If anything, I would say that if SAO was a real game, I would say the majority of it's userbase would be people who don't normally play MMOs, but people who simply want that immersive VR world.

The only point in his video that is actually completely valid is the part about how "well" SAO sold, but that is such a minor detail I couldn't care less. Again, does SAO selling 10,000 copies or 100,000,000 million copies, REALLY make a difference to the fact the animation and music can be pretty cool, or how Kirito is a Gary Stu, or how messed up everything with Asuna in the Alfheim arc was? No, it really doesn't.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I just thought of another pokemon Weathergain. It's a windmill with 4 arms instead of the blades.

Flying/Fighting? Or maybe ground/fighting?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I thought of another pokemon. Lupantle. Dark type, based off the wolf from red riding hood.

With that crazy quick addition of a bunch of Pokemon it is bed time for me.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
....But none of this changes anything about the story or the characters and the art direction, which are ultimately the most important aspects of the show.

And the whole "they're bad games, nobody would play them" argument kinda falls apart when you get back to the fact that even in real life, people like terrible games, and even if the game is objectively bad, whether or not a person likes it is subjective. There are people who legitimately like Sonic '06, for example, despite it obviously being a broken and rushed mess.

There's also the fact that SAO is a VR game that completely puts you in it's world, people could find enjoyment on that aspect alone. The MMO mechanics may be jank, but people could get into the game for it's social and real-body stimulation aspects alone. We actually see examples of this in the show itself, where some players decide not to fight much at all, but instead set up shops where they get regular customers they can talk to or spend time hunting or hanging out in taverns. In the Mother's Rosario arc, we see how people find appeal in these ultra-stimulating VR games from the perspective that these people LITERALLY have no other way to enjoy their lives due to being stuck in a hospital bed with a terminal disease, or how Asuna uses it as an escape from her overbearing mother. In SAO2 in general, there are a LOT of scenes where Kirito and friends are hanging out in some sort of lounge or cabin they have acquired in the game, and just use it as a social hangout spot. Hell, we even see in the Aincrad arc that Kirito and Asuna can make love in this virtual world, imagine how revolutionary that could be, especially for people who might fall under the LGBT spectrum and might have trouble finding a partner willing to make love with them in their local area. Any criticisms of the actual MMO mechanics become irrelevant when you consider the fact that just being able to step into a virtual world where everything feels real, and being able to meet people you might not otherwise be able to see in real life, would be a life changing experience. And even if the battle mechanics are terrible by actual game standards, fighting would still be exhilarating because you have the physical stimulation to back it up. There's also the fact that since we are told we are looking at the dawn of these ultra stimulative VR games, you can expect that the intricacies of their mechanics would be quite flawed, just like the first time for a lot of things in the video game industry in real life.

The problem with Mother's Basement's video is that he assumes only the most hardcore gamers would play SAO, but even in the show, we see plenty of players who are more casual even in the death game situation, and in real life, VR is probably more appealing to casuals than hardcore gamers who care about the nitty-gritty of mechanics.

The only point in his video that is actually completely valid is the part about how "well" SAO sold, but that is such a minor detail I couldn't care less. Again, does SAO selling 10,000 copies or 100,000,000 million copies, REALLY make a difference to the fact the animation and music can be pretty cool, or how Kirito is a Gary Stu, or how messed up everything with Asuna in the Alfheim arc was? No, it really doesn't.
"appeal to casuals" has a super limited physical only release for a vr system that costs more than most people are willing to pay for a Normal games console, yaaaaa no i find that hard to belive

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"appeal to casuals" has a super limited physical only release for a vr system that costs more than most people are willing to pay for a Normal games console, yaaaaa no i find that hard to belive
I find a lot of things in fiction hard to believe.

But I agree with Chiko and I haven't even seen the show.

Holding that small part against the show is nitpicking. Let the other parts show it's quality. Not just one debatable part that barely matters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Are you implying that hardcore gamers, specifically hardcore MMO gamers, have a higher average income than people who only play games casually but otherwise lead successful, fulfilling lives?

Because if so, I'm afraid I've got some bad news...

D

Deleted member

The problem with Mother's Basement's video is that he assumes only the most hardcore gamers would play SAO, but even in the show, we see plenty of players who are more casual even in the death game situation, and in real life, VR is probably more appealing to casuals than hardcore gamers who care about the nitty-gritty of mechanics. If anything, I would say that if SAO was a real game, I would say the majority of it's userbase would be people who don't normally play MMOs, but people who simply want that immersive VR world.

Honestly, I'm willing to let SAO slide, it's completely new and technological, so the shortcomings can be ignored by being the first of its kind(though it would get boring pretty quickly if it was an actual game and not just a death trap)
However, with ALO and GGO, that novelty has already gone away, you can't just rely on "really good vr" to sell it and GGO they're supposed to be games with active playerbases.
GGO's stupid mish-mash of mechanics and player-frustrating features would turn away anyone even with the fact you can get real money from it(because spending 8 months to make a build that may not even be useful, because its competitive community apparently understands jack **** of the mechanics at all, is certainly not reliable). Also, randomized avatars.
And ALO has your class and skills be dependant on your faction, so every member of it is the exact same, how can anyone be playing it still when the only apparent ingame goal is to beat the main dungeon that would supposedly give the winning faction infinite flight? What would be the point after that?
Let the other parts show it's quality.
Oh man, you really don't know anything about SAO, do you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Anyone want to help me with some trade evolutions in Moon? I have 5 for the Pokedex and one for my in game team.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Guess who's about to take an L in that next chapter?

Rin Rin

Whoops, that's spoilers for our current work.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh man, Mimikyu can learn Leech Life

I, for some weird reason, give Leech Life to any pokemon that can learn it

Sandslash, Golisopod, Araquanid, Mimikyu

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly, I'm willing to let SAO slide, it's completely new and technological, so the shortcomings can be ignored by being the first of its kind(though it would get boring pretty quickly if it was an actual game and not just a death trap)
However, with ALO and GGO, that novelty has already gone away, you can't just rely on "really good vr" to sell it and GGO they're supposed to be games with active playerbases.
GGO's stupid mish-mash of mechanics and player-frustrating features would turn away anyone even with the fact you can get real money from it(because spending 8 months to make a build that may not even be useful, because its competitive community apparently understands jack **** of the mechanics at all, is certainly not reliable). Also, randomized avatars.
And ALO has your class and skills be dependant on your faction, so every member of it is the exact same, how can anyone be playing it still when the only apparent ingame goal is to beat the main dungeon that would supposedly give the winning faction infinite flight? What would be the point after that?

You know quality can mean good or bad, right?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anyone want to help me with some trade evolutions in Moon? I have 5 for the Pokedex and one for my in game team.
I've got me a Scyther and Sneasel in need of trade evo's.

I can do that if you'd like.

Guess who's about to take an L in that next chapter?

Rin Rin

Whoops, that's spoilers for our current work.
Ssssshhhhhh, no spoilers of my work.

Do not steal.

D

Deleted member

You know quality can mean good or bad, right?
It's just the way you phrase it, makes it sound like someone who doesn't believe what 90% of its watchers say, still believing there's hope its flaws are exaggerated and it's something even remotely enjoyable if watched unironically... I pity such souls
Man, I went too far with this

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Back from watching the rest of Fate Grand/Order First Order:

Very average overall. Main protagonist was really bland, and while the villain twist made me surprised, I felt like the twist came out of nowhere with basically little hints. Mash was OK at best, and Olga... not that memorable either, but sucks that she died twice. The only characters that I really liked were Caster and Dr. Roman.

Speaking of Caster, this guy was still as awesome as he was in Fate/Stay Night as Lancer, and his fights with Lancer and Archer were pretty good. Loved his final line when he mentioned that he wanted to be summoned as a Lancer last time. That Wicker Man scene when it defeated Saber Alter was pretty nice too.

Animation was decent, and the soundtrack could've been better. Other than that, very average. The ending scene makes me think they want to make a series out of this, but I'm doubtful we'll see a sequel.

Just played some more Planetside 2. I think this is what hell must look like
Explosions and sniper fire and machine guns from every which way.

Now we're over here. Now we're regrouping over here. Now we're regrouping over there. And meanwhile the entire planet is at war everywhere else. It's chaos. I wish my computer was strong enough to handle it better though.

Just got to Oblivia in Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Even the desert is gorgeous. Wow.
Welcome to Mira. Where every single thing about the world is beautiful.

And wants to kill you.
:061:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Trying to decide if Comfey can get some usage out of Triage boosted draining kiss and have it work.. calm mind, draining kiss and I don't know what else.. I'm thinking about Double team, energy ball Aromatherapy, leech seed, and :4substitute:.. don't want to belimited to just 16 pp for attacking moves, but at the same time I want it to survive long enough to stall them..

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's my point though.

I've watched SAO. More than you have, apparently (not even being cheeky, you literally said you didn't watch the last two arcs).

It's got it's ups and it's downs. The downs do outweigh the ups.

But ultimately, the show is not about the game mechanics of this imaginary MMO, it simply uses "VR MMO" as a setting for it's stories to take place in.

What you're doing is equivalent to ripping on Doctor Who just because it's time travel mechanics aren't explored and don't make much sense. Sure, that may be the case, but ultimately the show isn't about that. It's about a being who seemingly can't die, how he deals with this fact, and the adventures and heroics he gets up to and the relationships he develops. Time travel is used as an excuse to give him adventures in different imaginative locations, but otherwise, the show makes very little attempt to explore the consequences and scientific logic and theories behind time travel. And that's perfectly fine.

If you really don't like SAO and want to tell someone about that and how they should avoid it, you have much more blatantly flawed or terrible aspects to discuss that would more easily convince them.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Curious as to why as Sneasel didn't evolve.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've got to say, that's a very clever name for your Machamp Swamp.

Too bad I chose not to teach him Strength.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don't get how Alpharad's Clickbait video relates to SU.
Is this some joke I'm missing?
Oh, wait, you edited it, I still don't get it but I'll watch it later

Can't believe they're ripping EO
Smh ://
Yeah I linked the wrong thing at first lol, sorry.

But listen to the first 30 seconds.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
By the way, I've gave A Ghost Shadow Punch.

I hope you don't mind Night Shade being replaced.
Hey, he's just a Pokedex mon.

It's all good.

Now if you replaced a move for Magneto, I'd be upset. He's the in game guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom