• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
While the balance of the tri-force argument is silly. Seriously the balance of the tri-force is ultimately a character trait each has or desires. A female can have courage. So what? Just as she can have power and wisdom.

It's also silly to want a female Link. Link can be named but so can many other established male characters. A majority of the FF leads, etc.

That's the simple fact. To argue for Link to be both genders is simply silly because he has years as an established male character with personality traits. Recurring ones at that.

Link might lead the series, but it's silly to argue that you need him to also be a female for their to be a strong female character in Zelda. *****, the strong female's name is in the title. And that's not including all the numerous kick-*** ladies like Impa, Linkle, Ruto, Agitha, etc
I'd be totally down for having established female Zelda characters (like Zelda herself) be playable protagonists in a main series Zelda game too. Having a playable Tetra in a new Toon Link game would be really cool.

That said, Aonuma's comments about how the team dismissed the idea of Zelda being the main character ("if we have princess Zelda as the main character who fights, then what is Link going to do?") doesn't make me super hopeful about future main series Zelda games having playable female protagonists either.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I speculated as much, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

Also some news I think is cool:

Could that last one refer to the N-stars 3ds game (or whatever its called)?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
While the balance of the tri-force argument is silly. Seriously the balance of the tri-force is ultimately a character trait each has or desires. A female can have courage. So what? Just as she can have power and wisdom.

It's also silly to want a female Link. Link can be named but so can many other established male characters. A majority of the FF leads, etc.

That's the simple fact. To argue for Link to be both genders is simply silly because he has years as an established male character with personality traits. Recurring ones at that.

Link might lead the series, but it's silly to argue that you need him to also be a female for their to be a strong female character in Zelda. *****, the strong female's name is in the title. And that's not including all the numerous kick-*** ladies like Impa, Linkle, Ruto, Agitha, etc

I don't want a strong female character to simply be the same as the strong male character most times. Individuality is a huge part of what draws me to a character regardless of what is in their pants.

I'd rather to give some of the already amazing Zelda ladies who are all vastily different characters from Link but just as corageous as Link playable time to shine than just ''Oh, look Link now has breasts and a vagina."
Here's the thing about Female Link versus a stronger portrayal of Zelda...

A damsel in distress is still a damsel in distress regardless if she's saved by a male or female...it makes no difference other than 'muh females'...If anything these arguments for a female Link go against Link as a character, by this point Link has well established himself as a courageous young male...

'he's a different character in each game'...unlike Mario where continuity is almost non existent due to it being less important because of a much more light hearted nature of the Mario series, the Zelda franchise needed to establish a form of continuity that still allowed for the same characters to re-appear without aging them over time or replacing them after they're too old or dead...though this is the case since they get cycled through in almost every game, but they still re-appear as more or less the same character...

As you said Zelda has it's fair share of strong female characters, which includes Zelda herself (or alternate forms of herself) and bringing them up as characters is more important than changing an established character's gender...

as I said, 'A damsel in distress is still a damsel in distress regardless if she's saved by a male or female'

Im just assuming the "new rpg" is yokai watch 2. The twitter already hinted at YW news anyway.

I think that article said new ip but im just going to assume that is misinformation based on this being a sideshow. Not the best place to show off a brand spanking new IP.

TL:DR not getting my hopes up.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Imagine for the SF3 music in Smash Bros., it starts on the Round 1 ver. but when the first stock is gone, it goes to the 2nd half/Round 2 of the song, and then when the other stock from the 2nd player is gone, it continues to the 3rd part/Round 3 ver.

Chrono.

Im just assuming the "new rpg" is yokai watch 2. The twitter already hinted at YW news anyway.

I think that article said new ip but im just going to assume that is misinformation based on this being a sideshow. Not the best place to show off a brand spanking new IP.

To be fair, Codename STEAM had a similar unceremonious reveal.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Here's the thing about Female Link versus a stronger portrayal of Zelda...

A damsel in distress is still a damsel in distress regardless if she's saved by a male or female...it makes no difference other than 'muh females'...If anything these arguments for a female Link go against Link as a character, by this point Link has well established himself as a courageous young male...

'he's a different character in each game'...unlike Mario where continuity is almost non existent due to it being less important because of a much more light hearted nature of the Mario series, the Zelda franchise needed to establish a form of continuity that still allowed for the same characters to re-appear without aging them over time or replacing them after they're too old or dead...though this is the case since they get cycled through in almost every game, but they still re-appear as more or less the same character...

As you said Zelda has it's fair share of strong female characters, which includes Zelda herself (or alternate forms of herself) and bringing them up as characters is more important than changing an established character's gender...

as I said, 'A damsel in distress is still a damsel in distress regardless if she's saved by a male or female'
I think the difference between a female Link and a stronger portrayal of Zelda is making Zelda the main character and stronger enhances her as a character while making a female Link makes Link WEAKER as a character because it takes away his identity and makes him nothing more than an avatar for the player to control

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Could that last one refer to the N-stars 3ds game (or whatever its called)?
I was thinking this, but mario part stars or whatever makes sense for N stars as stars is a codename for MP often. So if N stars isn't mario party, what was?

Possibly but their schedule is already lined up, so it doesn't make sense as a mis translation, especially if the email says it directly.

We shall see though.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Yokai Watch 2 was listed separately.

Yokai Watch also is not a new IP.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
It's funny to think that Nintendo had such a good E3 this year showing like, 2 games and last year they had a full 40 minute presentation and everyone absolutely hated it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So Japan is getting a Pokemon Sun and Moon double pack.

It'd be nice if it came over to the west.
I posted a comment on that tweet saying the same thing.

I buy both versions all the time. Getting a bonus for doing so would be great. Even if just that

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
So do you guys think we'll get English CoroCoro stuff for Pokémon Sun & Moon tomorrow?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'English' unless you're referring to English names for the Koala and Rock Dog...

But I don't think we'll get much more than we already got that was leaked, at least nothing worth while...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I think Nintendo did well at avoiding the intense backlash this E3. With the announcement we'd only see Zelda and maybe something, we didn't have our hype set to a high level, so when it finally came to Nintendo at E3, we got what was expected and still felt hype for it. That's why I say Nintendo's getting back on track following E3 2015.

And I can't believe the stupidity of some gaming communities. "This looks terrible! What a horrible art style!"
"Sell Zelda to Sony or Microsoft so we can get real graphics!"
:facepalm: When did gaming just become all about specs? Graphics are important to the game, but the overall quality is not dependent on how many polygons or pixels your world has - it's the gameplay, agency (interactions with the world) story, music, etc...

Why am I here, when I should be studying?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm not sure what you mean by 'English' unless you're referring to English names for the Koala and Rock Dog...

But I don't think we'll get much more than we already got that was leaked, at least nothing worth while...
Yes, I mean the CoroCoro info from last week to get officially shown off with English names.

The Pokémon team has been releasing new game info simultaneously worldwide and it's almost time for the magazine to be officially released.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, Link isn't even an avatar anymore.

Breath of Wild confirmed that.

The voice doesn't address the hero.

It directly addresses Link.

Not you. Not some non specific person.

Link.

:4link:
I mean it also does that with Commander Shepard in Mass Effect. I don't think being a character and an avatar are mutually exclusive.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Cooking Mama and Swedish Chef for Smash NX.

Link vs Cooking Mama vs Kirby vs Swedish Chef in the ultimate culinary battle of Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

YR: N-Stars is a Nintendo crossover RPG with a Paper Mario-esque battle system
I already have decided my Waifu for Conquest.

A hint: I always wanted to have her as my wife since I saw Shonen Maid.

Sorry Anna.
So either Felicia or Flora?
Flora is hotter but I ended up with Felicia in one run(mostly due to lack of options)

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I mean it also does that with Commander Shepard in Mass Effect. I don't think being a character and an avatar are mutually exclusive.
Commander Shepard was established as an avatar from the beginning, plus the player does have some freedom with his/her personality, you can be the token role model hero, or you can be a total jerk to everybody via Paragon or Renegade...

Shepard was also only referred to as Shepard, title or male/female pronouns by other characters...not his/her first name which the player could choose but was used as nothing more than just a save file name...

Of course this is true for characters like Robin and Corrin (who are never referred to by name during cutscenes mind you)

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Yeah, what I like about Link in a way is that he started of as some generic hero, and somewhat of an avatar, but as time had passes he slowly evolves into his own character. I wonder if other avatar like characters had this part of development in the gaming world.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah, what I like about Link in a way is that he started of as some generic hero, and somewhat of an avatar, but as time had passes he slowly evolves into his own character. I wonder if other avatar like characters had this part of development in the gaming world.
Not too many have been around quite as long as Link...but the player characters in Pokemon would be good examples of this, espeically since in later games they became even more like actual avatars due to customization...but each character of either gender is pretty widely accepted as being their own characters (the anime does help with this though)

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Also what I like about Corrin in Smash is that he is the very first Shapeshifting fighter in the series, in which that alone makes him automatically unique, as well as no using his sword as much as other swordfighters, and being the first Katana user (NOT COUNTED THE MII SWORDFIGHTER). What also like about Corrin is that he has a thing about seeing the both Good, and bad on both sides in situations, as well as realizing as some sides having their own beliefs of which is right and wrong. So he/she tries so set things down no matter what (Even as also doing stupid choices along the way *COUGHConquestCOUGH*). He's/She's like someone like Ghandi but he also does it by force only when his opponents fight him first (Sometimes I don't know). He/She realizes that sometimes it's impossible to save everyone on time, and has to live up with it. It would be better if he/she relizes that it's kind of stupid that he's in charge of the army, and wants to ask his "Brothers" as to why.

D

Deleted member

Looking at the Mario series 2, Diddy Kong getting an amiibo in that line confuses me greatly.

There's currently no game that uses the Diddy amiibo for save data other than Smash.

The other two main games for amiibo save data with the Mario line (that I know of) are Mario Party 10 (amiibo Party Mode) and Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash.

Mario (and Dr. Mario, but he counts as Mario outside Sm4sh), Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Yoshi, Wario, and DK work for them both and Sm4sh (obviously).
Toad works with both, but not Smash.
Bowser Jr. works for Ultra Smash and Sm4sh.

So what of the new ones?
Waluigi and Daisy will work for Ultra Smash and (most likely) Mario Party 10.
Boo will work for Ultra Smash.

So why Diddy for series 2?

Why not Bowser Jr. like DK, Wario, and Rosalina?
Why not Toadette, who would theoretically work for both like Waluigi and Daisy?
Why not Spike, who would theoretically work for Mario Party 10's amiibo Party Mode?
Why not Dry Bowser or Sprixie Princess, who would work for Ultra Smash like Boo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom